Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4, Xbox One)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4, Xbox One)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4, Xbox One)

Originally Posted by kegman
Is the patch for the xbox one version? I think I started off going the wrong way. I went through heides tower first. I would hate to completely run out of weapons
Yikes! You need to run to the old lady in the tower of the Forest and get the Blacksmith key. You will then be able to get the blacksmith to repair your weapons. However, you will need 1,000 souls to get the key.
Old 04-23-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by kegman
Is the patch for the xbox one version?
Yes, but I don't think the patch has actually been released yet.
Old 06-14-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I picked this up the other day (It's $41.99 right now) and I dunno how I feel about it yet.

Bloodborne didn't blow me away visually initially but it still always looked good, Dark Souls II sort of shows how big the jump from generation to generation is, it just looks so incredibly dated by comparison, even at 1080p @ 60 fps. But I'm just not digging the level structure in this one, it isn't bad, it just isn't nearly as compelling as I hoped it'd be.
Old 03-02-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Finally started this up last week, mainly due to how much I love Bloodborne. Question for those who have been through it, are the NPC invaders just to fuck up people playing offline? For some reason I'm losing my online connection to the game within 5-10 minutes every time I play. I'm to the point where I keep encountering Armorer Dennis invading my game as an NPC and he absolutely slaughters me every time. I'm wondering if it's a punishment intended to break the game for those who opt out of online play. If it is, I'm going to hang this one up. I have no idea why I'm having such online connection issues, as I never had them with Bloodborne and am not seeing anything else to indicate a problem with my home's internet.
Old 03-02-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

NPC red invaders will alway appear wither you online or not. Not sure why you having connection issue could be server problem. Have not play the game in months since Bloodborne has me hooked.
Old 03-02-16, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy played thru it twice on Xbox and PS and he never complained about invaders or connection issues. Sorry you're having trouble.
Old 03-02-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Armorer Dennis messed me up several times but after leveling up a bit, I was able to finally vanquish him. I moved along quite well after that. I still have not finished the game yet, though.
Old 03-03-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

There is an NPC that you can summon for the Armorer Dennis fight.

From a wiki:

Spoiler:
The white phantom NPC Ruined Aflis can be summoned for help just before the Forest of the Fallen Giants encounter. His summon sign is located just to the right of the bottom of the stairs leading into the dark hallway with the skeletons. It is recommended, however, that you journey ahead and dispatch the three Old Ironclad Soldiers lying in ambush atop the building first, as these can make short work of Aflis before ever even encountering Dennis. With his help as a distraction, the fight should be a breeze even at low levels.
Old 03-04-16, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Thanks for the input guys, but I'm done with this one. I much preferred Bloodborne, where it was very challenging, but I felt like I progressed and the combat felt fluid. This hide-behind-a-shield-because-if-you-dodge-you'll-get-nailed-and-use-all-your-stamina-so-you-can't-even-swing-your-sword crap isn't for me. Maybe I was playing it wrong, but I spent 15 hours with the game, which I think is more than enough to gauge whether I'd enjoy pushing through. Hopefully III takes some cues from Bloodborne in terms of combat.
Old 03-04-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
This hide-behind-a-shield-because-if-you-dodge-you'll-get-nailed-and-use-all-your-stamina-so-you-can't-even-swing-your-sword crap isn't for me.
You need to roll. Many people play the game without a shield at all.
Old 03-05-16, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
You need to roll. Many people play the game without a shield at all.
But if you're going to roll, you need to up your ADP. It's a stupid mechanic (and a terrible addition to the franchise), but a necessary component if you hope to get through the game on a first play through.
Old 05-30-16, 10:56 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So after not getting into this on ps3, I finally started the ps4 version and I am having a blast. Coming from Dark Soul 3 the combat feels dated, but the game is a lot of fun. I think I am about level 90 now, and I am surprised how much fun I am actually having.
Old 09-21-21, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Sorry for the bump, I've been playing through the franchise and am finishing up my last entry (this one) now.

While I'm mixed on the entry overall, the boss design is just fucking great. They had a lot of fun with it, despite the bosses generally leaning toward easy.

The design for Demon of Song actually made me laugh.