Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Amiibo figurine discussion (Wii U / New 3DS / Switch)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Are you going to buy any of Nintendo's Amiibo figurines?
Gotta catch 'em all! Going for a complete collection
7.14%
I'll skip some but will probably buy most of them
4.76%
I'll cherrypick a few of my favorites
42.86%
Haven't decided yet
0%
Not interested
35.71%
I don't really get what Amiibo is/does
4.76%
What's an Amiibo?
4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-14, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo
Old 08-29-14, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Amiibo news!

Nintendo has just announced the first 12 amiibo figurines that will be available this Holiday season. Each amiibo will retail for just $12. It’s a decent price. You can see all the information in the press release down below.

“The holiday shopping season begins today for Nintendo fans, as the first 12 amiibo interactive figures become available for pre-order at a suggested retail price of just $12.99 each. The first dozen characters available for pre-order at select retailers are Mario, Peach, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox, Marth, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, with more on the way in the future.

• Interactive amiibo Figures: Nintendo’s foray into the toys-to-life category starts today, with the first 12 amiibo figures available to pre-order from select retailers. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, which launches this holiday season, will be the first game with full integration of amiibo functionality. Other games that will support amiibo include Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Mario Party 10 and Yoshi’s Woolly World, with more to come. More details on amiibo functionality with the various games and a launch date will be revealed shortly.”

Source: Nintendo PR
Also, there are 2 new Wii U bundles, with the price (disappointingly) staying at $300. One has Nintendo Land and Super Mario 3D World, and the Walmart-exclusive one pairs Nintendo Land with Mario Kart 8.
Old 08-29-14, 09:38 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Amiibo news!

Also, there are 2 new Wii U bundles, with the price (disappointingly) staying at $300. One has Nintendo Land and Super Mario 3D World, and the Walmart-exclusive one pairs Nintendo Land with Mario Kart 8.
$13 is on par with Skylanders and Disney Infinity (if not cheaper)...so fine with me. I'll be buying all of them at launch.

I assume they can only be used with the Wii U at launch unless they release the 3DS portal early.
Old 08-29-14, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

GIMME DAT WII FIT TRAINER AMIIBO

Old 09-15-14, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt
GIMME DAT WII FIT TRAINER AMIIBO

Great. More plastic crap I cannot resist buying.
Old 10-07-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

No interest in Amiibo either but I'm with Mazje, Little Mac is awesome.
Old 10-28-14, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I'm less excited about the amiibos having seen this:

http://tay.kotaku.com/nintendo-fans-...-qu-1650977502
Old 11-04-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm less excited about the amiibos having seen this:

http://tay.kotaku.com/nintendo-fans-...-qu-1650977502
More impressions at Eurogamer. That boot or whatever around the Wii Fit Trainer is especially bizarre.
Old 11-04-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Direct from Nintendo, info about Amiibo interaction with Mario Kart 8:

Extremely minor but a neat little bonus if you happen to have one of those Amiibos. We don't know if that's the extent of it, but...
Old 11-06-14, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

Saw the Amiibo display at the store. Figures didn't look as bad as the initial reaction implies.
Old 11-06-14, 08:45 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Saw the Amiibo display at the store. Figures didn't look as bad as the initial reaction implies.
Sounds like the kids at Blu-ray.com over reacting.

They look fine for $13 each. If you a want high, detailed statue, you're going to spend $40+. (and I would know since I own several)
Old 11-10-14, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Amiibo Wave 3

Old 11-10-14, 09:56 PM
Suspended

I'm gonna be sooooo broke.
Old 11-10-14, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

I don't get it. What's the point of these Amiibos? Is Nintendo making a Skylanders style game?
Old 11-11-14, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt
Amiibo Wave 3

Too bad they won't look anything like this.
Originally Posted by slop101
I don't get it. What's the point of these Amiibos? Is Nintendo making a Skylanders style game?
Adam Tyner explained it to me earlier in this thread but honestly I still have no idea what purpose they serve.

I'm not familiar with Skylanders (I'm aware but don't know anything about it) so I'm not exactly sure what they'd do as it is.
Old 11-11-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self

I'm not familiar with Skylanders (I'm aware but don't know anything about it) so I'm not exactly sure what they'd do as it is.
It shoots out money
Old 11-11-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supposedly you can grow the experience of your Amiibos while you play as them and then you can have them fight against other people's Amiibos, fight against them yourself, or fight alongside them against others. So as your experience grows, they grow and it would provide you with a balanced opponent or ally.

And then there are the rumblings that they'll be able to be used in other games as well, although how is unclear at this point in time. The most likely candidates for crossover games seem to be things like Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Hyrule Warriors. I believe I read something about the Link Amiibo already being compatible with the Hyrule Warriors game. I think some other games are getting ready to incorporate them, but it's unclear how.

Last edited by kstublen; 11-11-14 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-11-14, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by My Other Self
There's not a really compelling use yet. It's more like little statuettes that Nintendo thinks you might like to collect, and if you happen to have some of these games too, you can do kinda/sorta vaguely neat things with them.

What we know so far:

Super Smash Bros. - level up figures as either sparring partners or for assists. Your work is saved on the figure so you can fight against a friend's amiibo, bring your amiibo to someone else's house with all your hard work tagging along, etc. (Even as someone who's preordered Super Smash Bros., has the GameCube controller thingie on the way, and is interested in amiibo, this holds approaching zero appeal to me. I'm not into having the game play itself for me, and I can't picture being in the heat of battle and thinking "oh, I know how to clinch this; I'll pause the game or whatever, grab a little statue, and tap it to the gamepad". With a fast and frenetic game like this, who'd want to do that?)

Hyrule Warriors - the Link amiibo will unlock the spinner weapon (think a giant top) from Twilight Princess. All other amiibos will unlock random materials, weapons, or rupees.

Mario Kart 8 - amiibos will open up custom racing suits for your Mii. Strictly visual; no gameplay impact.

Currently, Super Smash Bros. is the only game that will read/write to an amiibo. All others just read; they see that it's, say, Yoshi and doesn't need to do any more than that. Because these little NFC chips can only hold a tiny, tiny amount of data (literally just a few kilobytes), you can only save data to them in one game at a time. It's not an issue with Super Smash Bros. being the only thing at present that can write to them. In the future, though...? Let's say that you level up Yoshi a bunch in Smash, and then there's some functionality in Wooly World that also writes to the figure. You'll either (a) miss out on that functionality, (b) buy a second Yoshi figure, or (c) clear the amiibo to be written to from Wooly World, but lose all your Smash Bros. data in the process.

Amiibo has a lot of potential, but as things stand now, it feels like a solution in search of a problem. I'm worried that the lack of any compelling interaction will kill the platform before it ever has a chance to really be utilized.
Old 11-11-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am kinda surprised by how lackluster the amiibo support seems to be... at the very least have one of these unlock a new racer or something in Mario Kart as some kind of DLC (where you pay for the figure). But I am worried that this will be yet another unsupported peripheral, and unlike Skylanders or even Infinity, it doesn't even have a decent game at it's base.
Old 11-11-14, 12:18 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fujishig
I am kinda surprised by how lackluster the amiibo support seems to be... at the very least have one of these unlock a new racer or something in Mario Kart as some kind of DLC (where you pay for the figure). But I am worried that this will be yet another unsupported peripheral, and unlike Skylanders or even Infinity, it doesn't even have a decent game at it's base.
They haven't even been available to purchase and you are already dismissing them? Give it some time. Nintendo has already announced Wave Three.

It's not a game. It's an add-on for some games. If you wanted a fully supported game you should be looking at Skylanders or Infinity.
Old 11-11-14, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Gizmo
They haven't even been available to purchase and you are already dismissing them? Give it some time. Nintendo has already announced Wave Three.
Why doesn't Nintendo come up with some really intriguing uses for the figurines before releasing dozens of them?
Old 11-11-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why doesn't Nintendo come up with some really intriguing uses for the figurines before releasing dozens of them?
I think that's the problem -- they've announced Wave 3 and there's nothing that screams people need to buy them.

Last edited by My Other Self; 11-11-14 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-11-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gizmo

It's not a game. It's an add-on for some games. If you wanted a fully supported game you should be looking at Skylanders or Infinity.
As others have said, they're announcing waves without really announcing anything else compelling to use them on. I get that the Nintendo license will sell these, but how many people are going to be confused thinking that this is like Skylanders or Infinity, and it takes a paragraph to even explain how to use it with Smash Bros. People here, who follow gaming news, have a tough time "getting" it.

I'm not dismissing them outright, in fact I already have wave 1 preordered, I'm just waiting on them revealing something else before I preorder entire waves instead of cherry picking.
Old 11-11-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Some of the figurines in the February wave will be retailer-exclusives.
Old 11-11-14, 12:54 PM
Suspended

They need to? We can go through various other things Sony and MS released with little to no support at launch.

It's pretty clear what they are. If you want a Skylanders experience this is not it. It's an add-on to Smash to allow customized fighters in a unique way. In other games it unlocks bonus content.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.