Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Amiibo figurine discussion (Wii U / New 3DS / Switch)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Are you going to buy any of Nintendo's Amiibo figurines?
Gotta catch 'em all! Going for a complete collection
7.14%
I'll skip some but will probably buy most of them
4.76%
I'll cherrypick a few of my favorites
42.86%
Haven't decided yet
0%
Not interested
35.71%
I don't really get what Amiibo is/does
4.76%
What's an Amiibo?
4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Amiibo figurine discussion (Wii U / New 3DS / Switch)

Old 02-03-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts
re: Amiibo figurine discussion (Wii U / New 3DS / Switch)

Yeah! The only difference is the text on the packaging. The figures themselves are exactly the same worldwide. No region coding or anything like that.
Old 02-03-15, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Yeah, the word is that Rosalina won't be restocked, and the allotment online sold out in less than 5 minutes. I didn't even realize she was in the next Mario Party, so sorry about that.

I just bought a Lucario from Japan. Ridiculous.
Old 02-03-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. Will have to import it then. Thanks for the heads up and information, everyone.
Old 02-03-15, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So as of now I've got all of Wave 1 (Mario, Yoshi, Peach, Donkey Kong, Link, Kirby, Fox, Samus, Pikachu, Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager) and all of Wave 2 (Luigi, Captain Falcon, Zelda, Pit, Diddy Kong, and Little Mac). I've also got Rosalina, Bowser, Toon Link, and Sheik with Lucario on its way to me in the mail.

And I've got Shulk, King Dedede, Ike, Sonic, Mega Man, and Meta Knight on pre-order (fingers crossed those don't get canceled).

All of this coming from the guy who said he was only going to get the twelve original Smash characters, haha. It's a pain collecting these, but I really like them; good quality figures, representations of some of my favorite games, and it's fun leveling them up in Smash.
Old 02-04-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Update #1! Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy+ for the 3DS will let you restyle planes with Amiibo...y'know, Mario makes a plane blue and red.

Update #2! Also, the Mario Amiibo for Mario Party 10 is temporarily going to be exclusive to the bundle with the game. (That explains why Mario was the only one that couldn't be preordered.)

Update #3! From PDFs on nintendo.com that have since been pulled:

I know Nintendo said that gold/platinum Club Nintendo members will get digital content. Could we be getting Amiibo too? The last friggin' thing Amiibo needs are chase variants!
Old 02-04-15, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, screw that. I'm just sticking to the Smash ones because not only are they video game accessories, they're real life counterparts to the in-game trophies. The other amiibos announced and future series probably won't hold the same appeal for me.
Old 02-04-15, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I know Nintendo said that gold/platinum Club Nintendo members will get digital content. Could we be getting Amiibo too?
It seems like such a natural, but wouldn't the Silver Mario be branded as Platinum instead?

The last friggin' thing Amiibo needs are chase variants!
I had a feeling that it wouldn't be too long before Nintendo started in with the repaints/reposes/alternate outfits with these things. Makes me wonder what this line is gonna look like a year from now.
Old 02-04-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Matt
It seems like such a natural, but wouldn't the Silver Mario be branded as Platinum instead?
Yeah. I was so caught up with the colors that I didn't look at the actual text. It also doesn't have the Club Nintendo branding that's usually on all that stuff.
Old 02-04-15, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's say I don't have any of the Wave 3B Amiibos pre-ordered. What's the best course of action to find them at the stores that will sell them?

The release date inconsistencies with these is what's so hard to pinpoint. I refuse to pay eBay prices for any of these.

Is there a list of which ones will be re-released, or is it all speculation at this point?
Old 02-05-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Let's say I don't have any of the Wave 3B Amiibos pre-ordered. What's the best course of action to find them at the stores that will sell them?

The release date inconsistencies with these is what's so hard to pinpoint. I refuse to pay eBay prices for any of these.

Is there a list of which ones will be re-released, or is it all speculation at this point?
Import them? The commons will eventually be all over, but the exclusives like Rosalina are going to be a pain to get... the speculation frenzy is crazy for these things, which means the resellers are out in force.
Old 02-05-15, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Import them? The commons will eventually be all over, but the exclusives like Rosalina are going to be a pain to get... the speculation frenzy is crazy for these things, which means the resellers are out in force.
That's what I was assuming. I'm not in the "Gotta collect them all!" category, but I do want Meta Knight and King DeDeDe from this next batch.

I wanted Toon Link from this last one but I called all over last night and nobody has him in. The one Target guy actually laughed at me on the phone.
Old 02-05-15, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 544 Likes on 397 Posts

The only one Nintendo has said will be re-released is Marth. Everything else is speculation.
Old 02-05-15, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's what I was assuming. I'm not in the "Gotta collect them all!" category, but I do want Meta Knight and King DeDeDe from this next batch.

I wanted Toon Link from this last one but I called all over last night and nobody has him in. The one Target guy actually laughed at me on the phone.
You should check out r/amiibo for the most up-to-date information. Here are some tentative release dates for upcoming figures:

Ike - 2/13 at GS and TRU and 2/20 at BB and WM
King Dedede - 2/13 at GS and TRU and 2/20 at BB and WM
Mega Man - 2/13 at TRU and 2/20 at GS, BB, and WM
Sheik - 2/13 at GS and 2/20 at BB and WM
Shulk - 2/13 at GS (Exclusive)
Sonic - 2/13 at BB, TRU, and WM and 2/20 at GS
Toon Link - 2/13 at GS
Meta Knight - Nobody Knows (Exclusive)

Keep checking Amazon as they pop up randomly on there from time-to-time. You might be able to find a Dedede at Target, Toys R Us, or GameStop but it's not looking good for the second part of Wave 3. There's been a memo circulating around that Target might not even have them in stores, although some Target employees are saying it doesn't mean they won't be in stores at all.

Basically, it's a giant clusterfuck and your best bet is to check stores listed above on 2/13 and 2/20. I think you should still be able to find a Toon Link though; check Target or Toys R Us again in a couple days. They're popping up at Best Buys now too.
Old 02-07-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Sorry if this has been asked before. Will the current Mario, Luigi, Yoshi and Peach Amilbos work with Mario Party 10 or will I have to buy the new ones that are being released on 3/20/15?

If not, what is special (if anything) about the ones being released next month?
Old 02-07-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The way it works is that the NFC chip inside an amiibo can be written to from specific games and can also be ready by specific games.

However, am amiibo can only hold data that's written to it from one game at a time. So, for example, if you have the Super Smash Bros. Mario amiibo and you leveled it up to Level 50 you have written data from Super Smash Bros. to this particular amiibo. You can use it in Mario Party 10, but in order to write the data from that game to the amiibo it will "forget" everything it's learned in Super Smash Bros.

So yes, the amiibos you have will work and you don't have to re-buy them if you don't mind losing your saved data.

That said, there's also a portion of the NFC chip that is devoted specifically to unlocking things in other games and that never goes away. Things like a bonus in Hyrule Warriors or the Mii Outfits in Mario Kart.

The only thing special about the ones being released is that it's a new line with different poses/character designs. Hope that helps.
Old 02-07-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Thank you for your help!
Old 02-07-15, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some Toysrus's got restocked with Sheik's if anyone is looking. The one closest to me put out 20 or so this weekend.
Old 02-07-15, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Some Toysrus's got restocked with Sheik's if anyone is looking. The one closest to me put out 20 or so this weekend.
Thanks for the tip. I stopped by TRU about an hour or so ago and they had a huge Amiibo display now. They were all commons, but I asked one of the guys if they had any Sheik's in the back.

He mentioned they all went this earlier today, but would check anyway. Low and behold, there was one left buried in the back.

I took advantage of their 2/$20 sale, since this is my first foray in to these things. I'm only going to collect the ones from my favorite franchises. I started off with Kirby, Link, Zelda, and Sheik.

Now I'll just cross my fingers I can still get a hold of Toon Link, King DeDeDe, Meta Knight (yeah, right), Sonic, and possibly Mega Man.

I was last in TRU about a month ago when I picked up New Super Luigi U. At that time, they only had a small endcap of Amiibos with a few pegs. They weren't in the same spot, so I asked another clerk where they were and he showed me this new larger display they have now.

When I mentioned this, the guy basically called me a liar and said they've always had this. He was adamant about it and insisted I was wrong. Am I losing my shit or are these new larger displays with signage new?
Old 02-08-15, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Both the one's by me have always had the big display with signage over in the same area as the Infinity and Skylanders.
Old 02-08-15, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Both the one's by me have always had the big display with signage over in the same area as the Infinity and Skylanders.
Interesting. This store had it on the other side of the wall separating the Infinity and Skylanders. Maybe they always had it but had the endcap I saw last month as well. I know I pilfered through it just to see who they had at the time. It was just all of the standard ones and a lone Pit, which I regret not picking up now.
Old 02-09-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was able to find a Toon Link at Walmart today.
Old 02-13-15, 06:12 AM
Political Exile

Received 474 Likes on 315 Posts

Peach and Yoshi are currently $9.99 each at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N4ABT1C
Old 02-13-15, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Peach and Yoshi are currently $9.99 each at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N4ABT1C
Price match of Best Buy. They(Best Buy) also have Donkey Kong for 9.99.

Saw a couple of Fox amiibos yesterday but passed on them. I have yet to get in on the amiibo craze yet.
Old 02-13-15, 07:40 AM
Political Exile

Received 474 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
Price match of Best Buy. They(Best Buy) also have Donkey Kong for 9.99.

Saw a couple of Fox amiibos yesterday but passed on them. I have yet to get in on the amiibo craze yet.
Yoshi is my first Amiibo. Hopefully it will work with the upcoming game. With the slow shipping credit, I felt it was finally at the price point that I wanted.
Old 02-13-15, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by PerryD
Yoshi is my first Amiibo. Hopefully it will work with the upcoming game.
It's confirmed for Mario Party 10 and Yoshi's Wooly World, but Nintendo hasn't actually said what it'll do for the latter quite yet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.