Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Amiibo figurine discussion (Wii U / New 3DS / Switch)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Are you going to buy any of Nintendo's Amiibo figurines?
Gotta catch 'em all! Going for a complete collection
7.14%
I'll skip some but will probably buy most of them
4.76%
I'll cherrypick a few of my favorites
42.86%
Haven't decided yet
0%
Not interested
35.71%
I don't really get what Amiibo is/does
4.76%
What's an Amiibo?
4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Amiibo figurine discussion (Wii U / New 3DS / Switch)

Old 12-14-14, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Amiibo figurine discussion (Wii U / New 3DS / Switch)

No luck on finding a Diddy Kong today.
Old 12-14-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As hard as it was to find some of the Amiibos during Wave 1, Wave 2 has been a complete mess. Target and Toys R Us 45 minutes away from my house had Zeldas on the shelf, but said they were sold out of the rest of the Wave 2 characters (unclear if they ever got the second part of Wave 2 or not). And then the Target and Best Buy 10 minutes from my house said they haven't received ANY of Wave 2 yet. It's really hard to tell when things are going to be released or when to check stores. I wish I had pre-ordered some of these, but whatever. Like I said, Captain Falcon is my main priority at this point. Hopefully I'll stumble upon him in a week or two.
Old 12-15-14, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
As hard as it was to find some of the Amiibos during Wave 1, Wave 2 has been a complete mess. Target and Toys R Us 45 minutes away from my house had Zeldas on the shelf, but said they were sold out of the rest of the Wave 2 characters (unclear if they ever got the second part of Wave 2 or not). And then the Target and Best Buy 10 minutes from my house said they haven't received ANY of Wave 2 yet. It's really hard to tell when things are going to be released or when to check stores. I wish I had pre-ordered some of these, but whatever. Like I said, Captain Falcon is my main priority at this point. Hopefully I'll stumble upon him in a week or two.
Best Buy changed their release date for zelda and diddy kong to the 17th and little mac to the 19th. I don't know what they're doing...
Old 12-15-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up Little Mac and Diddy this weekend at GameStop. I was told falcon and Pit will be out on Friday.
Old 12-15-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Krayzie
Best Buy changed their release date for zelda and diddy kong to the 17th and little mac to the 19th. I don't know what they're doing...
From Amazon:

Important Note Regarding This Amiibo
Due to shipping and port delays, availability of the six Amiibos launching on 12/14 has been highly limited or delayed. We are partnering with Nintendo to secure inventory as soon as possible. If you have pre-ordered this product, we will fill your order as soon as we have inventory available. We apologize for the delay.
Old 12-16-14, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by atxbomber
From Amazon:
Only zelda, diddy kong and little mac were supposed to be released on the 14th. The other 3 got delayed. Best Buy decided to delay zelda, diddy kong and little mac even though they already have them at the stores.
Old 12-19-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally found Captain Falcon in Target! They also had Zelda, Diddy Kong, and Luigi. No sign of Little Mac or Pit though.
Old 12-21-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I know originally I said I was only going to get the characters who first appeared in Super Smash Bros. on the N64, but my collecting habits got the better of me. That said, I've still sorta fought off my completist tendencies for these. My updated plan is to get the "Original 12" and then various other characters as I see fit.

OG Smash Characters (Owned): Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Samus, Link, Captain Falcon, Kirby, and Pikachu

Misc. Smash Characters (Owned): Marth, Diddy Kong, and Little Mac

I'll definitely get Ness and Jiggypuff when they're released since they're the ones I'll need to complete my "Original 12" lineup. I'll probably also get Toon Link because he's one of my regular characters in the Smash games. I'd also like to get Bowser, Peach, King Dedede, Rosalina & Luma, Pit, and Duck Hunt at some point.

Also, aside from the purely collectible aspect of these I've enjoyed playing with them as well. I've found they make for much more intense fights than regular computer players.

How's everyone else enjoying these?
Old 01-14-15, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bump. Wave 4 (including Pac-Man and Ness) shown today on the Nintendo Direct, as well as a new Super Mario line of Amiibo (including Toad and new poses of Mario, Luigi, et al.) for Mario Party 10 on March 20.

‏@NintendoAmerica

More #amiibo are coming soon! The next line launching in spring includes Robin, Lucina, Charizard, PAC-MAN, Wario & Ness. #NintendoDirectNA

‏@Wario64

Super Mario series amiibos on March 20 including Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Toad

Last edited by Matt; 01-14-15 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-14-15, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Mario Party 10 is the first Wii U game to require resetting your Super Smash Bros. amiibo figurines, if you want to use the same figure in both games.
Old 01-14-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Mario Party 10 is the first Wii U game to require resetting your Super Smash Bros. amiibo figurines, if you want to use the same figure in both games.
This is what will likely keep me from buying these in the first place.
Old 01-14-15, 10:24 AM

I take it that the figures can only store info for one game at a time? The only good news is that marth is coming back. They need to bring back the villager as those are the two I am missing from wave 1. Still don't have Captain Falcon from wave 2.
Old 01-14-15, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Krayzie
I take it that the figures can only store info for one game at a time?
Yeah. Up until this announcement, Super Smash Bros. was the only game that actually wrote to Amiibo figurines. Others like Hyrule Warriors, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, etc. could read from a figurine, but it was just one-way communication.

Mario Party 10 does save data to the figurine, though. If you have a Mario Amiibo you've already used in Super Smash Bros., you either have to wipe that data to use him in Mario Party 10, or you have to buy a new Mario Amiibo.
Old 01-14-15, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I know originally I said I was only going to get the original twelve Smash characters, but that didn't exactly go as planned and now I have everyone released so far except for Villager. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll get all of the Super Smash Bros. characters, but there's no way I'm going to buy additional amiibos from other lines, especially when they're just duplicates of ones I already own. I have no problem re-writing the figures if I really need to use them in subsequent games; it's been fun leveling them up and has provided me with harder opponents than the computer players.
Old 01-14-15, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Well, the limited distribution (planned or not) of the second wave (and on) made me stop being a completionist for the line, which is a good thing for my pocketbook.
Old 01-14-15, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's my collection minus Zelda (got her the other day) and Wii Fit Trainer (coming in the mail on Friday). Haven't paid over MSRP for any of them. Traded an extra Pit I found for a Japanese Wii Fit Trainer; doesn't matter to me where the packing is from as the amiibo itself is region-free and no different than if I had bought it here in the United States. I did, however, see Villager and Wii Fit Trainer in stores on release day; should've just picked them up then, haha.
Old 01-14-15, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 544 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well, the limited distribution (planned or not) of the second wave (and on) made me stop being a completionist for the line, which is a good thing for my pocketbook.
Same here. I sold off my Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager and Little Mac and am going to stick with just the one's I'm actually interested in.
Old 02-01-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 544 Likes on 397 Posts

Walked into Target today about an hour after they opened and left with Rosalina (they had 5 or so left) and the last Toon Link. They had sold out of Sheik and did a lookup and all the other Target's in the area had sold out also.
Old 02-03-15, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We're trying to get the Mario-related amiibos (basically for Mario Party). If anyone gets an extra Rosalina, we'd appreciate it!
Old 02-03-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

But they'll have separate Mario Party ones that they said will be more prolific. Do you just like the different poses?
Old 02-03-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may be misunderstanding then, but I thought that the Mario Party ones were ONLY the ones shown above (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Toad), and then other ones, like Wario and Rosalina also worked with Mario Party, but wouldn't get a separate Amiibo.

No, I don't really care about the poses. My kids just like the characters and using them in the game.
Old 02-03-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

You are correct. Figurines compatible with Mario Party 10:

Available as Separate Super Smash Bros. figurines and Mario Party 10 figurines
Code:
Mario
Peach
Yoshi
Luigi
Bowser
Mario Party 10 Only
Code:
Toad
Super Smash Bros. only
Code:
Rosalina & Luma
Wario
Donkey Kong
Old 02-03-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's I thought/was afraid of. We've got Mario, Luigi, and Peach already. Donkey Kong sits on the pegs around here, so we'll get him eventually. With two figures, Bowser and Yoshi should be easy to find. Hoping Toad and Wario are easy to find.

So my request stands. We don't have a Target within an hour of us. So if anyone finds a Rosalina, I would really appreciate it.

I don't have much in way of trade, but would gladly pay for your trouble. (I guess I do still have one of those Frito Lay Stump Smash Skylanders, but I'm not sure how interesting that is to anyone at this point)
Old 02-03-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The nearest Target to me with Rosalina in-stock is 80+ miles away, unfortunately.

Your best bet might be importing from another country. Germany, Japan, and the UK are popular with folks seeking out rare Amiibo. Take a look at Game UK.
Old 02-03-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The nearest Target to me with Rosalina in-stock is 80+ miles away, unfortunately.

Your best bet might be importing from another country. Germany, Japan, and the UK are popular with folks seeking out rare Amiibo. Take a look at Game UK.
Interesting. And those work with an American system? Very cool. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.