Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Amiibo figurine discussion (Wii U / New 3DS / Switch)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Are you going to buy any of Nintendo's Amiibo figurines?
Gotta catch 'em all! Going for a complete collection
7.14%
I'll skip some but will probably buy most of them
4.76%
I'll cherrypick a few of my favorites
42.86%
Haven't decided yet
0%
Not interested
35.71%
I don't really get what Amiibo is/does
4.76%
What's an Amiibo?
4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Amiibo figurine discussion (Wii U / New 3DS / Switch)

Old 12-09-14, 07:48 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Amiibo figurine discussion (Wii U / New 3DS / Switch)

so does it appear this type of gaming is here to stay or will fizzle out like the guitar hero/rock band hoopla.

This stuff is quite addictive. I have stayed away until this past Black Friday when I got the Infinity Marvel Heroes. I am itching to buy more and more of those damned figures. I don't see how anyone could be into this, skylanders, and infinity at the same time. $$$$
Old 12-09-14, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I don't know if the way to interpret this (if Nintendo's previous statement is also on the money) is that:

(1) the figures will somehow still be available (perhaps through Nintendo's online storefront?)
but
(2) they won't be in stores anymore

A couple of retailers and at least one distributor has said that they're unable to order any more of these figures from Nintendo.
That IGN/Wired statement seems more credible than the David Young response.

I would guess that most of the non-evergreen characters will get one printing, and when they're gone, they're gone. From stores and online.

Current prices on Amazon:

Marth was under $40 a couple of days ago.
Old 12-09-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am only Link away from the complete first wave. Glad I got the rare three. I'm thinking Little Mac and Captain Falcon will be rare the next wave.
Old 12-09-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just started collecting amiibos Sunday and this is even more annoying than collecting skylanders... Damn Nintendo.
Old 12-10-14, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Finally got my Villager and Marth; with their price constraints, the simpler designs like Villager, Mario, etc are definitely much nicer than the ones with smaller details like Link and Marth.
Old 12-10-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by XavierMike
I am only Link away from the complete first wave. Glad I got the rare three. I'm thinking Little Mac and Captain Falcon will be rare the next wave.
I doubt Captain Falcon will be an issue. I imagine all the main characters will be pretty easy to get.
Old 12-11-14, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How do you define main character? Little Mac and Falcon haven't stared in a game in a long time. Villager has, but he is still rare.
Old 12-11-14, 04:24 PM
Political Exile

Received 474 Likes on 315 Posts

I'm a bit annoyed that only a couple weeks into the whole Amiibo experience that I don't have a chance to pick up the Villager one that I wanted.
Old 12-11-14, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts

With the way-too-far-on-the-opposite-end-of-the-spectrum exception of the Wii U, Nintendo tends to underproduce. They'd rather manufacture too few rather than too many. There were complaints that Nintendo didn't produce enough copies of Bayonetta 2 to fill all the orders, for instance, leaving stores with pre-orders they couldn't fulfill. Amiibos are especially challenging with as aggressive as Nintendo is being with the waves of releases. I'm not surprised this is happening, but it's crazy that it's happening after just a few weeks.
Old 12-11-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Not sure if it means anything, but preorders for Diddy Kong, Zelda, and Little Mac are already sold out on Best Buy, and others are sold out on Amazon...
Old 12-11-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Nintendo has said that Amiibo sales are nearly equal to sales of Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U, so they've moved around 710,000 of those suckers over the past few weeks. The three top selling figurines are (in this order):

1. Link
2. Mario
3. Pikachu

Even though I'm not a fan of Link's downward pose and yellow leg brace thingie, apparently lots and lots of other people disagree with me.
Old 12-12-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Not sure if it means anything, but preorders for Diddy Kong, Zelda, and Little Mac are already sold out on Best Buy, and others are sold out on Amazon...
Just got back from xmas shopping Gamestop had a bunch of Zeldas and 3 Little Macs and TRU had literally over 50 Zeldas, 30 Little Macs, but only 4 Diddy Kongs. The worker said there were more little macs and zeldas in the back too, so if one is rare, it might be Diddy Kong.
Old 12-12-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

As speculated, the Rosalina & Luma Amiibo will be a Target exclusive.
Old 12-13-14, 03:41 PM

Picked up a couple Zeldas & a couple Little Macs today at ToysRUs. No luck with finding Diddy though.
Old 12-13-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

Nintendo is playing their typical game, purposely limiting certain figures' availability to increase the perception they are hard to find. There is no reason why any figure should be limited already.
Old 12-13-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Nintendo is playing their typical game, purposely limiting certain figures' availability to increase the perception they are hard to find. There is no reason why any figure should be limited already.
I'm going to skip these despite just getting a Wii U and I'm skipping them for this reason alone. Not playing the horseshit games of paying higher prices due to artificial demand for what should be a standard figure that is readily available.
Old 12-14-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 544 Likes on 397 Posts

This second wave has been a clusterfuck. They now split it up and only Diddy Kong, Little Mac and Zelda are out. The other 3 got moved to the end of December. Best Buy still is not selling any of them even though they are for sale at every other store since Friday. Wave 1 I just went into the stores and picked them up this time I ordered (over a month ago) to be shipped and all three of them show as item not available in my order.
Old 12-14-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I resolved to only get Amiibos that were in the original game for Nintendo 64. So far I've picked up Mario, Samus, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Pikachu, Kirby, Link, and Fox. The collector in me would love to get them all, but I don't have the extra money to burn nor the space to store them all. And honestly, I doubt I'd get much use out of collecting them all. I'm worried about finding Captain Falcon though based on what I've heard about it being a possibly rare one. If I can get him then that just leaves Luigi, Jigglypuff, and Ness.

I was in Target the other day though and found FOUR Marths, so decided to pick them up to trade/re-sell/gift down the line. I'll probably hold onto one of them though...it was tempting to just cave once I got him and try to get them all, but I resisted the temptation.
Old 12-14-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 544 Likes on 397 Posts

I just picked up Diddy Kong, Zelda, and Little Mac at Target. They hadn't put them out yet so I got an employee to bring them out. They had 12 of each of them.
Old 12-14-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
I resolved to only get Amiibos that were in the original game for Nintendo 64. So far I've picked up Mario, Samus, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Pikachu, Kirby, Link, and Fox. The collector in me would love to get them all, but I don't have the extra money to burn nor the space to store them all. And honestly, I doubt I'd get much use out of collecting them all. I'm worried about finding Captain Falcon though based on what I've heard about it being a possibly rare one. If I can get him then that just leaves Luigi, Jigglypuff, and Ness.
I think this line and Disney Infinity are both pretty cool. But these things are the definition of slippery slope. I don't own either game, but I keep eyeballing the DI Donald Duck and Kirby figurines. They're just so cute. But then I'm like are they $25 cute? Not for me.
Old 12-14-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard that you can only use the Amiibos for one game and then when you switch them to another one it erases the stats/whatever from the figure. Is this true? If so, then these are an even bigger no.
Old 12-14-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Multiple games can read from one Amiibo, but only one game can write to it. (The NFC chips in these figures only hold around 1K of data, which is pretty microscopic.). At the moment, it's not a problem since Smash is the only game that writes to these figures. In the future, though...
Old 12-14-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Multiple games can read from one Amiibo, but only one game can write to it. (The NFC chips in these figures only hold around 1K of data, which is pretty microscopic.). At the moment, it's not a problem since Smash is the only game that writes to these figures. In the future, though...
So, they really didn't future-proof the current batches of figures? You would think they would get this right with Skylanders and Infinity having a few years and a slew of these things already on the market.
Old 12-14-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

That seems like a very petty move by Nintendo.
Old 12-14-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
So, they really didn't future-proof the current batches of figures?
It's definitely not ideal.

A game will always know a Mario figure is a Mario figure. You can reset an Amiibo if a game requires a figure be written to and it's already chock-full of data from another title. Disappointingly, it doesn't look like there's a way to use the Wii U storage to swap out data from one Amiibo to another, back and forth...like, to use the Wii U to temporarily hold Smash data for Kirby, save data to the figure in Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, and then restore that Smash data when you want it. You'll need multiple Kirby figures to really juggle all that data. On the other hand, we have no idea what other games, if any, will write to these figures since Nintendo keeps everything so close to their chests.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.