Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Amiibo figurine discussion (Wii U / New 3DS / Switch)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Are you going to buy any of Nintendo's Amiibo figurines?
Gotta catch 'em all! Going for a complete collection
7.14%
I'll skip some but will probably buy most of them
4.76%
I'll cherrypick a few of my favorites
42.86%
Haven't decided yet
0%
Not interested
35.71%
I don't really get what Amiibo is/does
4.76%
What's an Amiibo?
4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Amiibo figurine discussion (Wii U / New 3DS / Switch)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
re: Amiibo figurine discussion (Wii U / New 3DS / Switch)

They stock and restock the main mario characters mainly, those are by far the most prolific (I don't think Mario Maker qualifies, but who knows?). And then Nintendo uses a random number generator to figure out which are exclusives and how much of a restock things will have. Stuff like Splatoon, which actually unlocks content? Screw 'em. A Mario Party specific Mario, Luigi, Peach and Koopa when the Smash Bros versions are all clogging the pegs? Sure, why not? Let's make the Fire Emblem ones actually do something in Project STEAM then make them impossible to find.

Snark aside, the restocks are getting bigger.
Old 08-28-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So when will the big ass Yoshi preorder start?
Old 08-29-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Shovel Knight amiibo announcement from Thursday night.

Any other indie amiibos you guys want to see? I need Bayonetta.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 08-29-15 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-29-15, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Any other indie amiibos you guys want to see?
Shantae is probably the most obvious choice.
Old 09-11-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I made a big mistake. I bought my first amiibo today

I picked up the classic Mario amiibo because I thought it actually looked cool. Then while I was there, they got a Splatoon 3-pack in, so I picked that up as well. I still want to get that giant yarn Yoshi when it comes out, but I imagine it's going to be a bitch to find.
Old 09-11-15, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,193 Likes on 4,220 Posts

I only have a couple (and own neither a WiiU nor a New 3DS), but I had to get a Dr Mario. It's coming in the mail. Hope it gets here soon so I can give him a spot on my desk at work.
Old 09-11-15, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I lucked into buying the 8-bit Mario amiibo today - there were a couple at Best Buy, and the store was deserted for some reason. It's only my 2nd (and hopefully final) one. My other one is the initial Samus. If I get one more, I guess it would be Mega Man. But that's it!!!
Old 09-11-15, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I ventured out today in hopes of finding the Splatoon 3 pack as a fall back in case the one I ordered from Target either doesn't ship or gets beat all to hell along the way. First stop Best Buy as I would save a few $$ by buying it there. No luck there on that, but I saw that they got 4 of each of the new releases.

Went to Target after that and found nothing but a $hit load of Dr. Mario's. The guy working in electronics said there was a line outside at opening just for the amiibo's and wiped out the other new releases. He said he had sold a total of 3 Dr. Mario's so far and they got in no Splatoons. He didn't even know they were re-releasing those.

Final stop was Gamestop and they had one 3-pack left along with a couple of the single Splatoon boy and girls. Went ahead and grabbed the 3-pack as I have little faith when it comes to Target and their shipping practices.
Old 09-12-15, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 09-12-15, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I never really cared about Amiibos but I had to get the classic 8-bit Mario. Got the last one at my local Target and I arrived shortly after opening. Only other one I really care about is Yarn Yoshi, but that retro 3 pack is tempting.
Old 09-12-15, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fyi, the yarn yoshi bundle is up at Walmart
Old 09-19-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

and....I'm in. I've been avoiding these since they came out(don't care about the Mushroom Kingdom cast or the Zelda & Pokemon stuff), but they've had some good ones lately. Not buying them all, just the ones I like. The only one I had bought previously was a Silver Mario I stumbled upon.

Last week I went on a buying spree:
Dr. Mario
Olimar
Mario 30th Anniversary
Samus
Splatoon girl
Splatoon boy

The only one I wish I nabbed when I saw it on a shelf a few months ago was Mega Man. Since I decided to buy a few of these I paid a premium on ebay for him, $18 shipped, which wasn't terrible.
Old 09-26-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

If your Gamestop has the retro pack, I'd buy it ASAP. I've already sold a few online for $60 and was told by the Gamestop I bought mine at, that the stores are only getting 2-3 copies each.
Old 09-27-15, 12:21 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
If your Gamestop has the retro pack, I'd buy it ASAP. I've already sold a few online for $60 and was told by the Gamestop I bought mine at, that the stores are only getting 2-3 copies each.
Evil flipper!!!!

Old 09-27-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

The Retro Pack - I can see it for sale online at GameStop. Is there some sort of rarity since that seems to be easier than going to a store.
Old 09-27-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I want ROB bit don't really care about the other two.
Old 09-30-15, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
The Retro Pack - I can see it for sale online at GameStop. Is there some sort of rarity since that seems to be easier than going to a store.
Well, hopefully Nintendo is wising up about alienating fan base with continual small print runs.
Old 09-30-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
? I went to Gamestop to pick up my Animal Crossing New 3DS, and they had dozens of them (and they weren't all held for preorders either). It may be that they've run out since then, but it's one of the most well-stocked Amiibos I've seen.

I can also readily go to any Target in the area and find a bunch of their exclusive Dr. Marios too (and I've heard the same for Bowser Jr. at TRU), so at least for the exclusives it seems like Nintendo is getting better. Still no 8 bit Mario for me, so it's not perfect.
Old 10-03-15, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I'm glad I lucked out in finding the 8-bit Mario because it's just so cool looking. I would've even bout him for extra on ebay. Checking there, seems like that one's going for around $20, which isn't too bad. But the weird thing I noticed is that a few sellers have like 30 or 50 in hand to sell. How does this happen? Are they just swarming stores when they open and grabbing all inventory?
Old 10-03-15, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I'm glad I lucked out in finding the 8-bit Mario because it's just so cool looking. I would've even bout him for extra on ebay. Checking there, seems like that one's going for around $20, which isn't too bad. But the weird thing I noticed is that a few sellers have like 30 or 50 in hand to sell. How does this happen? Are they just swarming stores when they open and grabbing all inventory?
Resellers like that usually just buy up all the stock online (creating other accounts when there are limits in place). Small time local resellers might be going in to stores but the big time ones just do it all online.
Old 10-13-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

While browsing my local Best Buy today I noticed they had restocked some of the older Amiibos. I can't remember all the ones they had, but from off the top of my head I do remember seeing Fox, Little Mac, Shulk, Marth and Greninja. They were not in the usual area hanging with the other amiibos, they were located on a cardboard display in the video game section.
Old 10-13-15, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, major restocks, including previous store exclusives (Greninja was a TRU exclusive, wasn't it?) in other stores. Even villager is supposedly getting a re-release at TRU.
Old 10-13-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Even villager is supposedly getting a re-release at TRU.
Yeah, in store only. People are blowing up right now because they are announcing their exclusives on twitter and the last one that is grayed out is the Giant Yarn Yoshi. Imagine if that thing is a TRU in store exclusive only, they are going to get murdered for that
Old 10-13-15, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Stopped in Best Buy. Indeed they had a few of the older figs. Grabbed Dark Pit and Fox. They had a few of the pixel Mario and 71, yes seventy one Marth figures. I counted them.

I don't even know who the fuck Marth is.
Old 10-15-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So it was confirmed that the Giant Yarn Yoshi will be a TRU exclusive and will only be available in limited quantities in store only. So there goes any chance of picking that one up for me. My local TRU closed about a year ago and I'm not about to drive 45 mins to stand in line for a damn toy that would probably sell out anyways. I don't know why TRU doesn't join the internet age and at least do some sort of online pick up or shipping option.

On a positive note, I did get an email from Best Buy today saying that my Yoshi Yarn bundle will be ready for pick up tomorrow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.