Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-14, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

I am still really into this game. I am holding off on progressing the story too much as i am having fun. I think i am almost complete with the main story anyway as i have gotten to the point where you brand 5 war chiefs and have 3 at the moment.

I really love the fight mechanics of this game. It nevers gets old taking on a huge number of enemies at once. Being able to control the bad guys and get them to fight for you really adds to it. I see a lot of potential for a follow up gaming taking this much further.
Old 11-13-14, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
Go do some of the side missions to get your weapons upgraded. Those missions are easier/shorter than the Warchief ones.
My issue is that I've been busy the past few weeks so every time I sit down to play there is a learning curve again remembering all the moves, leading to ass-kickassage.

Anyway, took down my first Warchief. That was fun, and satisfying. Just by chance I had headphones on last night and his team chanting his name was awesome. I have a feeling that would have lost some impact through the speakers.
Old 11-14-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finished the main story last night and pretty much got everything else. Must be arund 98% completion. It was great fun all the way and i will continue to play just for the hell of it. The only down side was the final boss. Way to easy and wanted more of a challenge at that point. Count me in for the sequel....unless its brought to us by the AC: Unity team.
Old 11-14-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Took down a Warchief and his next two in command from a single explosion!! It was awesome. I absolutely love this game.
Old 11-29-14, 12:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

is this game akin to The Two Towers on Gamecube? man, i loved that game!
Old 11-29-14, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

This game is essemtially Batman Arkham City, but set in Middle Earth.
Old 11-29-14, 12:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
wow! ok...ordered. this will be the first thing i play on new X1, this or Halo that is
Old 11-29-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked this up yesterday for something to play over the weekend and I must be the only person on earth who thinks its average at best.

Virtually no story, main character is bland, combat is boring and repetitive. Stiff and pretty crappy controls. The "world" is like the size of 2 blocks from any open world game, and filled with the same 2-3 enemies over and over.

I just don't get it...it's maybe a 5/10 for me. It looks pretty at least, but it's boring as shit.

I guess the best way to put it is that it feels like a demo for a full game.
Old 11-29-14, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Uh, you unlock new skills to add to the variety and the map is plenty big on foot. It also doubles halfway through the game.
Old 11-29-14, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I'm kind of surprised you'd say that, considering you're the only person around here who thought Arkham City was a better game than Uncharted 2.
Yes, I agree that the "Open World" is very small and dull. I understand that it opens up later.
I had no problem with the controls at all -- if anything the counter system is better and easier to use than the brawling in Arkham.
The new Nemesis system is absolutely brilliant and gives you reasons to play that you've never had before -- revenge on a specific NPC. I loved that.
I thought the stealth mechanics were also excellent, and that's an area of most games that causes me much frustration.

Yes, the main character (characters?) is pretty dull and uninspiring. Still I thought it was a fun game and while I returned my rental copy a while ago, I bought it at Best Buy and should have it back with me later today or Monday.
Old 11-29-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

With quite a bit of Assassin's Creed thrown in as well.
Old 11-29-14, 02:06 PM

The new Nemesis system is absolutely brilliant and gives you reasons to play that you've never had before -- revenge on a specific NPC.
See, I guess that is the main draw of the game but I find myself not caring at all about what Orc is in charge of what. I spend most of the time just running away from enemies and collecting crap in the world. I hate the fighting so the fact that there is a nemesis sytem in place means nothing to me.

Oh well, I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

Add it to the list below Just Cause 2 for games people recommend that are not good
Old 11-29-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Add it to the list below Just Cause 2 for games people recommend that are not good
Please pull your head out of your butt.
Old 11-29-14, 06:22 PM

I enjoyed the game. My main gripe would be the unskippable scenes. Every time a war chief enters. Every time you meet a captain. In some fights I ran into multiple captains, each one pausing the action. I've heard that threat 9 billion times before, let me skip it.
Old 11-30-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by discostu1337
See, I guess that is the main draw of the game but I find myself not caring at all about what Orc is in charge of what. I spend most of the time just running away from enemies and collecting crap in the world. I hate the fighting so the fact that there is a nemesis sytem in place means nothing to me.

Oh well, I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

This is without a doubt one of the most laughable statements I have read in some time. The poster plays a fighting game where he prefers to run away. That's like saying the best thing about playing the greatest FPS of all time is when you duck behind things.

And Just Cause 2 is one of the greatest games of all time. Your comment really is without merit at all and shows your lack of taste in games.
Old 11-30-14, 03:06 PM

Nope, just shows that I HAVE taste in games. If the combat was fun, I wouldn't run away.

Just Cause 2 was a train wreck of awful. I knew I shouldn't rely on word of mouth for that one, as part 1 was a laughing stock. So that was my bad.

Mordor is nowhere near Just Cause bad by any means, it's just not fun and has zero substance. I was just surprised after all the positive buzz.

Feel free to enjoy the game, I will not.
Old 11-30-14, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think most would agree with me on this and say your taste is lacking. I concur the first Just Cause was awful, but the second game rectified every single thing wrong with the first game. One of the most fun games ever made, but feel free to ignore that.

And Mordor has incredibly fun fight mechanics. I get the feeling you suck at games and cannot build up your character and miss out on the fun by being able to progres. I mean how the hell can you play this game without getting into fights. The whole idea of the game is to destroy your enemies. So much fun taking on 50 orcs at once and having some under your control. Again, you are missing out.....but your loss.
Old 11-30-14, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's no need to be so condescending to someone with a different opinion. For what it's worth, I had a decent amount of fun with this game but at the same time I feel that it has been vastly overpraised in general.
Old 11-30-14, 05:48 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not even finished the game. I was having a blast at first, but it just got old fast.
Old 11-30-14, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Combat gets much more interesting when you unlock "Branding" and "shadow strike" abilities.
Old 12-01-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was not being condescending. I believe that the majority universal opinion of both games mentioned is favored by my view. I found it incredibly strange that the poster complained about the fight mechanics of the game, something again which has pretty much universally been applauded. The fact he mentions he tries running away from fights leads me to think he does not win them very often and therefore has either a) not progressed very far into the game, built his characters abilities up and has more fun taking in the enemy or b) that he is a poor gamer and simply cannot progress. He does not like these games....no problem, and he entitled to his opinion.
Old 12-17-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I just started and some of these fights seem impossible to survive. I'm assuming there's no way to heal during a battle by getting potions? Is the best strategy when low on health to just run away and hide?

Edit to add: After 5 hours logged I finally killed one of those Warchief bastards. I figured out the Parry system and did a 16 hit combo on his Ass! So satisfying when I finally Put my blade through him!

And by looking at my stats I only did two missions Having too much fun with all the side stuff.

Last edited by mhg83; 12-17-14 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-18-14, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I just started and some of these fights seem impossible to survive. I'm assuming there's no way to heal during a battle by getting potions? Is the best strategy when low on health to just run away and hide?

Edit to add: After 5 hours logged I finally killed one of those Warchief bastards. I figured out the Parry system and did a 16 hit combo on his Ass! So satisfying when I finally Put my blade through him!

And by looking at my stats I only did two missions Having too much fun with all the side stuff.
Once you unlock abilities, the game becomes significantly less challenging. I recommend you do as many missions as possible to unlock ability points. I found the "instant taming" of the Garugs and the other beasts the most useful ability... tame them and let them do your dirty work
Old 12-18-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finally finished the other day. 42 hours and still have a few trophies to hunt down if I choose.

I did 100% all the missions and side missions/challenges. The toughest was the final hunting challenge with the Horned Graug. He wasn't tough, but he spawns at random, and when he did spawn it glitched on me three times and he would just disappear in the middle of the battle. I'd be on his back in the middle of the QTE series and he'd just vanish. Pretty fucked up glitch. So back to the tower, back to the cave, back to the tower back to the cave... over and over again. Frustrating.

Game of the year by a long shot for me.

-----
mhg - like Rob said, leveling up makes the game significantly easier, but at the same time it defeats the purpose of the nemesis system if you never lose. So there's a fine line between being weak and being too powerful. Just gotta find that magic line where you feel like you're kicking ass but not always winning.
Old 12-18-14, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Did you do the new DLC as well - saw that it was out, don't know how new it is, or even what it really entails.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.