Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Old 09-30-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just start a new mission. You're not tied to anything here. I failed that one, as well, and after that I went ahead and played the Gollum one.

I do also want to say that this has a very Assassins Creed feel to it.
I'll have to check again, but I thought that was the only story mission available to me. I did the Gollum one already.

This game is basically Batman + Assassin's Creed with a LOTR skin. I'm just not feeling all the stealth stuff, and fighting ridiculous hordes of orcs, it feels a bit repetitive and tedious so far.
Old 09-30-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by flashburn
I'll have to check again, but I thought that was the only story mission available to me. I did the Gollum one already.

This game is basically Batman + Assassin's Creed with a LOTR skin. I'm just not feeling all the stealth stuff, and fighting ridiculous hordes of orcs, it feels a bit repetitive and tedious so far.
Sounds like a good thing to me.
Old 09-30-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by edstein
Sounds like a good thing to me.
It's not a bad thing, I'm just not really digging it a whole lot at this point. The first hour or so I spent aimlessly running around killing captains or whatever was a lot more fun.
Old 10-01-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to say, I've very disappointed in this one. So much so that after two hours I sold it on Amazon. The game just feels clunky and repetitive (and I'm a huge fan of AC and the Tolkien middle earth universe). And the stealth reminds me of Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 2.....and thats not a good thing. Personally, I say pass or wait for it to hit $20 on Black Friday. Just my two cents anyhow.
Old 10-01-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hrrrrmmmm.... I picked mine up from BB but was waiting to open it. Maybe I will let the dust settle first. I have 30 days to return.
Old 10-01-14, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm finding it tremendously enjoyable, on the other hand. As someone who's very bored by AC games at this point, they took the same basic formula and made it feel fresh and fun again.
Old 10-01-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

Ugh.... I have such high hopes for this one. I think I'm going to leave my copy unopened as well and see where the consensus lies. I have enough backlog on my 360 to keep me busy for 18 months.
Old 10-01-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

I'm still adjusting to the controls and still getting my ass kicked. These captains and war chiefs are hard as hell. It also doesn't help that they come with pacs of orc and uruks. They tend to mob me. They also get stronger and stronger when you die.

It's all good, though, because I do a lot of roaming and kill to level up and get points.

The graphics are stellar and so is the sound quality.
Old 10-01-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You should stealth kill as many Orcs as you can before taking on the chiefs and captains.
Old 10-01-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

I only spent about 1.5 hours in it last night, but liked what I saw. I didn't tackle either of the first two story missions, but just roamed around doing some side challenges and collecting items. I'll probably sink a couple play sessions into that initially, just to get leveled up a bit before going after the more challenging stuff. At least initially, it feels very much like Assassin's Creed: Orc Killer, which is a good thing to me. I had more fun in an hour and a half of this than I did in ~12 hours of the beta and retail versions of Destiny.
Old 10-01-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

I should get my rental copy in the mail today. Will post impressions later.
Old 10-01-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I had more fun in an hour and a half of this than I did in ~12 hours of the beta and retail versions of Destiny.
But Destiny doesn't get good until after the 13th hour!
Old 10-01-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm enjoying this game so far. It was difficult getting used to the controls at first but I've got the hang of it now. Make sure you search out some of the collectibles early because that will allow you to upgrade your skills sooner (health, damage, etc). If you like AC style games you'll love this one. Climbing and jumping do seem easier in this game than AC games. And combat works better as well.
Old 10-01-14, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Yeah, it's very AC meets Arkham. I mostly like it. Combat is pretty good, but once a ton of Orcs descend upon you it's flee or game over. The Counter move is much more forgiving than Arkam, which I like, but the equivalent of Batman's knock out of a fallen baddie in this game is a move I sometimes have a hard time performing. I'm still struggling with the controls.
The Nemesis system is pretty brilliant though. That's something I could see getting used in many games going forward.
The map feels kind of small and densely crowded. Hard to go very far without getting in a fight whether you want one or not.
Old 10-02-14, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Once it was mentioned that the nemesis system wasnt going to be in the ps3 version i was out. Oh well maybe next year when i can afford the new systems. It looks fun as hell.
Old 10-02-14, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sunk a couple more hours into this last night and am really enjoying it. The only real trouble I've had with difficulty is if I get mobbed by orcs and simultaneously have archers pelting me. I died twice in those situations and saw the assholes involved get their promotions. So I went back, took out their archers first and cut their heads off, which was even more satisfying given their taunts based on our previous encounters. The combat system is extremely similar to the Arkham games, though I think they've made it slightly more forgiving and large crowds are very manageable as long as you're not also taking ranged damage.
Old 10-02-14, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had fun hopping on one of the mounts. You can move faster and killing baddies is much easier. Shooting down a bees nest is fun as well.
Old 10-02-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Been playing this today for a couple of hours. I was playing the Gollum missions a bit. I know have the ability to stop an orc in his tracks with that mind meld power and make their heads explode. It's pretty sweet and depending on how low-level some of the orcs are if they that they'll run away.

Old 10-03-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

what is the nemesis system? i only have a PS3
Old 10-03-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
what is the nemesis system? i only have a PS3
Basically random procedurally generated orcs that persist are given leadership positions for the enemy and remember how you've interacted with them as you play. So if one kills you, he levels up, gets promoted within Sauron's army and will give you a tougher time next time you come across him. It's a pretty clever mechanic that makes killing bad guys feel a bit more satisfying.
Old 10-03-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 294 Posts

It's a total rip off of Assassins Creed right down to the swan dives from towers and the capturing areas to reveal more map collectibles.

It's a rip off of the Arkham games right down to the detective vision type searching to the fighting.

This isn't a bad thing. Borderlands ripped off a few games as well.

But yeah I love the game.
Old 10-04-14, 04:00 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it normal to do a side mission (trying to kill 10 guys with arrows) only to have 9 (this is the actual number) captains attack you all at once, with each pausing the game to introduce himself for 20 seconds....I ran away and all 9 just followed me around the map...it was so fucking annoying to have them catch up and each introduce himself to me again...

This has to be a glitch right?
Old 10-04-14, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I'd like to introduce myself.
Old 10-04-14, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Allow myself to introduce…myself.

Yes, it's normal. Once those captains or war chiefs that are over level 15 - 20; have some running ability. They'll catch up to your ass if they spot you.
Old 10-04-14, 07:32 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Allow myself to introduce…myself.

Yes, it's normal. Once those captains or war chiefs that are over level 15 - 20; have some running ability. They'll catch up to your ass if they spot you.
well fuck this game...I am surprised how much I am NOT having fun with it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.