Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Swatting : The New Gaming "Prank"

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Swatting : The New Gaming "Prank"

I know we're in a new era of F*ck The Police, but none of this situation is their fault. It is the fault of the person phoning in the false report. 100%.
Old 08-28-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
Yeah, at the "poorly trained cops" line.
It's not a "line", and I don't appreciate the dismissive tone. It's a valid concern that the police are being overly militarized and can't wait to do shit like this. Hell, I'm not even sure probable cause is a thing any more, much less a right.

As to training, in virtually every case, they'd be better served and safer carrying the weapons they use every day. They ones they train with.
Old 08-28-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
It amazes me that this is even possible. If cops show up to an address and nothing obviously illegal is observed, didn't they used to knock on the door and actually investigate instead of kicking it down and getting everyone in the house on the floor at gunpoint? A sole anonymous 911 call shouldn't even approach the threshold for this level of response.
This is what amazes me as well. What stops some criminal from calling in a bunch of bogus stuff, then robbing a bank on the other side of town, if it's that easy to divert police/SWAT resources?
Old 08-28-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I know we're in a new era of F*ck The Police, but none of this situation is their fault. It is the fault of the person phoning in the false report. 100%.
This discussion probably belongs more in the politics section, but whether you want to call it 'F*ck the Police' or calling out the system as a whole, it's lunacy to maintain a system where a kid can call the police and with no other corroboration or reason, they go kick in a door and charge in screaming 'get the fuck down.' That level of response is idiotic based on a single phone call. In this instance, I'd say both the person calling it in and the police were 100% in the wrong. If fault had to be divvied up, I'd hold the police to a higher standard than some random jackass kid. An anonymous claim should be enough to merit investigation and attention, not an all out assault.
Old 08-28-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

would you rather have a system where you need to provide 3 forms of ID to get help in an emergency?
Old 08-28-14, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Is that really how things used to be done? I thought police would show up, knock on a door, question who answered and take action based on the observed circumstances. I didn't realize they had to check multiple ids of the caller before doing anything. But yes, I'd still rather have that system.
Old 08-28-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The standard operating procedure that SWAT teams here (I'm on Canada's west coast) used back in the 90s was much more aggressive than what I saw in the video. Very often, they would throw a stun grenade into the room before even going in or saying anything.

I remember one newspaper story where a SWAT team raided the wrong house. When the residents were interviewed, they said they thought it was a home invasion.

Last edited by dugan; 08-28-14 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-28-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chess
It's not a "line", and I don't appreciate the dismissive tone. It's a valid concern that the police are being overly militarized and can't wait to do shit like this. Hell, I'm not even sure probable cause is a thing any more, much less a right.

As to training, in virtually every case, they'd be better served and safer carrying the weapons they use every day. They ones they train with.
Awww, did I hurt your feelings? So you don't think they have probable cause in these cases?

Also, once again, these are SWAT officers. They are carrying the weapons they use and train every day with.
Old 08-28-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
The standard operating procedure that SWAT teams here (I'm on Canada's west coast) used back in the 90s was much more aggressive than what I saw in the video. Very often, they would throw a stun grenade into the room before even going in or saying anything.

I remember one newspaper story where a SWAT team raided the wrong house. When the residents were interviewed, they said they thought it was a home invasion.
That seems super dangerous, what happens if the residents are innocent and armed and believe it's a home invasion?
Old 08-28-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awww, did I hurt your feelings?
Speaking of internet anonymity and acting like jerk...

So you don't think they have probable cause in these cases?
Of course not. Watch the video. Listen to the cops. They had nothing.

A citizen (could have been you) sat there in cuffs at gunpoint for at least the 5 minutes on video, probably much longer afterwards, and all it took was an anonymous call and his address. And even after it was patently obvious nothing was going on, they were still grilling him and acting like douchebags.

Hell, I'm not even a hardcore libertarian, and this stuff pisses me right off.
Old 08-28-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chess
Speaking of internet anonymity and acting like jerk...

Of course not. Watch the video. Listen to the cops. They had nothing.

A citizen (could have been you) sat there in cuffs at gunpoint for at least the 5 minutes on video, probably much longer afterwards, and all it took was an anonymous call and his address. And even after it was patently obvious nothing was going on, they were still grilling him and acting like douchebags.

Hell, I'm not even a hardcore libertarian, and this stuff pisses me right off.
You sound like a hardcore libertarian!

They had what sounded like a legitimate threat that was called in that needed to be acted on immediately. It sucks, but if this was a real threat where someone was in immediate danger (bomb, armed gunman, etc), I think the alternative of "okay, lets now start doing some research and figure out whether or not this is legitimate while in the mean time people are now dead" is a better good alternative.

I'd be okay with a better solution, if I heard one.

Also, he wasn't being held in cuffs "at gunpoint". Yes, their guns were drawn and pointed at a potential threat, until he was handcuffed. I don't see a problem with this.

As for the douchebaggery... Put yourselves in their shoes for a second. They think they are about to get into a possible shootout and their adrenaline is pumping. Naturally seconds later when they realize this shit is just a joke, they are going to be pissed off and vent a little. It may be "unprofessional" but they didn't do anything terribly wrong.
Old 08-28-14, 03:06 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Old 08-28-14, 03:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the lesson here is one should always be livestreaming Mario games, because there's no way the police could mistake that for real life violence.
Old 08-28-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I think the lesson here is one should always be livestreaming Mario games, because there's no way the police could mistake that for real life violence.
The content of the livestream is irrelevant. It doesn't have any influence in the "swatting".
Old 08-28-14, 03:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, I should have added a winking emoji. I didn't think anyone would take that comment seriously.
Old 08-28-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The content of the livestream is irrelevant. It doesn't have any influence in the "swatting".
I don't know, the game was saying TERRORISTS WIN. HE HAS THE BOMB.
Old 08-28-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kxuFMCJTu4o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-28-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"The caller just stated that he had shot multiple people."
Old 08-28-14, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
So how do the "pranksters" know the address of the Livestream?

That is a terrible, disgusting thing to do. More than just cruel, it could actually get an innocent guy killed.
I read a few articles on this as well as the YouTube video description, and basically the live streaming group that this guy is part of has an actual office building so I imagine it wasn't hard to track down the business address. Plus, the call to police mentioned a hostage situation with active shooters, so i'm not surprised that the SWAT guys came in the way they did and don't really blame them in this particular case. Apparently some nearby schools were put on lockdown based on the report as well.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/27/607...yer-slammed-to

Hopefully the caller gets tracked down and gets punished severely for this.
Old 08-28-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, so are there stories of how the assholes who call in these bogus threats are caught, if at all? I would think that's a felony, calling in a SWAT team on a knowingly bogus charge - but I guess it's hard to prove? I would love to see a SWAT team break into these asshole's homes and throw them onto the ground.
Old 08-28-14, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not many stories, no. That's why people do it. There are no repercussions.
Old 08-28-14, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Not many stories, no. That's why people do it. There are no repercussions.
Well, shit.
Old 08-28-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That one guy got 11 years, but it sounded like there was more than just "swatting" going on with him.
Old 08-28-14, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looking around, I found this, and this quote really pissed me off:

For Toulouse that consequence-free harassment even included swatting, essentially tricking a law enforcement agency to respond to a person's house for what they think is a violent confrontation.

"Even the swatting thing, only now that Justin Bieber gets swatted, do prosecutors go, 'Oh, we should probably do something about this'," he said.

"I couldn't get the Seattle police interested to save their lives, in prosecuting the kids who were doing this. I'm like, 'Come on, guys, they're sending your SWAT team out. What if you shot somebody. Don't you have an interest in going after these kids?'

And they're like, 'No, because they are kids and at the end of the day it will be a juvenile sentence in juvenile court and that doesn't give prosecutors headlines.'"
Old 08-28-14, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

"The caller just stated that he had shot multiple people."
Way overreaction. Regular officers should just show up and handle the situation. No reason for SWAT to be there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.