Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

No Man's Sky (PS4, PC) (8/9/16)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-16, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Re: No Man's Sky (PS4, PC) (8/9/16)

Originally Posted by fumanstan
We've seen footage of the game for 2 years now, i'm not sure why anyone would have delusions of what the graphics should look like.
Yeah, graphics are a weird thing to harp on. Who doesn't already know what the game looks like? Tell us something about the game we don't know.
Old 07-30-16, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm not really concerned about the graphics like it's been pointed out everyone has seen trailers and footage since the game was announced and nothing has changed. I can remember when Borderlands was announced and a lot of players were like, "what the heck is this cartoon looking cheesy game" and the rest is history. By the way a new trailer...Survive is out.

Old 07-30-16, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Graphically, the only thing that has bugged me from the get go has been the draw distance. In just about every video it's been pretty bad. Otherwise I think it looks just fine.
Old 08-01-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

There's leaks and streams of this all over the place. It's hysterical how people on NeoGaf are reacting. People apparently did think this thing would be the end all be all of sci-fi awesomeness.
Old 08-01-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Professionally reviewing this game sounds like a nightmare to me. Since it's just an exploration game with pretty much infinite variants, how many hours would you sink in before you felt comfortable giving it a score?
Old 08-01-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I wonder what kind of restrictions there are for naming planets. Hopefully you can't name them Krypton or Tattooine or anything like that.
Old 08-01-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently the guy who paid a few thousand for early copy has made it to the center of the Universe or Galaxy. I think I saw it over at Gamespot or IGN...and still no LE versions out there.
Old 08-01-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Professionally reviewing this game sounds like a nightmare to me. Since it's just an exploration game with pretty much infinite variants, how many hours would you sink in before you felt comfortable giving it a score?
9,000 hours
Old 08-02-16, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It made me laugh when i read the comments yesterday on the net with people complaining that the game can be completed in 30 hours. If a game gives me 30 hours of gameplay i am happy with that. If it gives me hundreds of hours then even better. It looks like depending on how invested you want to be will depend how much you get out of this game. Basically like playing GTA V and only fucking around for hours instead of getting on with missions. I put my pre-order in Sunday and still have faith that i will enjoy the game. Lets see...
Old 08-02-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm actually happy the game leaked, in the end. It admittedly tempered my expectations a bit, and that's a good thing. I've been burned by buying into too much hype (my fault) over the last couple years -- looking at you Destiny and The Division -- only to be let down.

Frankly, I don't complete 90% of the games I play, and I can only think of two games I've played for more than 30 hours this entire year (Dark Souls 3 and Xcom 2). If I can add NMS to that list, then great, and if I don't, then I think I'll be just fine.
Old 08-02-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is so irrelevant that that guy finished in 30 hours. He was obviously playing only to make it to the center of the universe just so he could be his own hero by being the first one to do it. The majority of us that are interested in this game want to explore the endless amounts of planets and the potential life inhabiting them that the universe has to offer.
Old 08-02-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Is there a platinum trophy waiting for you at the center of the universe?
Old 08-02-16, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Maxflier
It is so irrelevant that that guy finished in 30 hours. He was obviously playing only to make it to the center of the universe just so he could be his own hero by being the first one to do it. The majority of us that are interested in this game want to explore the endless amounts of planets and the potential life inhabiting them that the universe has to offer.
Yea...another one of those "Me, Me, Me" characters....who just has to say "I did it first...now let me ruin everyone else's day". I normally don't wish ill of people but it's ones like this I can make an exception...
Old 08-02-16, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see the big deal. At least the info is out there now. If you don't want to know, don't read it
Old 08-02-16, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I don't see the big deal either. Nor do I judge the guy, since he was just doing something that he knew people would be curious about.

I think it's even sillier for people to be upset about it.
Old 08-03-16, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 400 Likes on 300 Posts

My rule is always take what reviewers say about play time and double it.

I take my time gaming.
Old 08-03-16, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lopper
Frankly, I don't complete 90% of the games I play, and I can only think of two games I've played for more than 30 hours this entire year (Dark Souls 3 and Xcom 2). If I can add NMS to that list, then great, and if I don't, then I think I'll be just fine.
Thats interesting. Pretty much every single game i buy i play to completion. The only one i can think of so far this gen is Bloodborne and the last time i played i was a good way through that, i just got distracted by too many other games at the time, but will certainly get back to it and complete it.

There have been a number of games that i have played for more than 30 hours, but this year probably only GTA V for the PS4 and Witcher 3. Add Skyrim to the list when the remaster comes out later this year, i pumped hundreds of hours into the on the PS3.

I am pretty sure that i will put a lot of hours into No Mans Sky. It still looks great to me, and i hope that they offer some good DLC in the future to up the action a little (especially space action and ship development as they both sound like two of the weaker sides of the game).

I am curious to see how big the first day patch is. If i recall the install of the game itself is only about 20 gb, so the patch hopefully will not be huge. My shitty net connection would prefer something more manageable.
Old 08-03-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was reading a question on the official PS site forums about why no real exclusives for the Digital version. Someone said the retailers selling the actual disc got a deal that they got and locked out the Digital version from offering any exclusives....that sucks. I got a email at 3am more LE versions were available at Best Buy but were sold out again.
Old 08-03-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just read a report on the first update and it sounds more like adding content rather than an actual update. The report was related to the latest twitter message from the team working on the game. No mention of size or if it will be released day 1. I can't imagine why they would hold off on releasing an update day one if they have already completed it.
Old 08-03-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I actually played this game for about 45 minutes. It was enough time to just about get the ship repaired (I was rushing a bit, but if you were really rushing you could probably do this in like 10-20 minutes if you lucked upon the resources).

I really hope no one here was super hyped for this game. I was a bit, but, I was left feeling that this is an overpriced and underdeveloped game. The planet I started on was sparse and boring, the hostile animal AI was mediocre, and walking around was tedious as hell. The crafting system seems terrible so far, you can only hold 100 of one resource in one slot, and you have limited inventory. Also there's no Encyclopedia or recipe book, you just kind of get the recipe given the context of the menu of where you are trying to build. For some reason (I hope this is just a bug) it doesn't even list how many of a resource you need to craft something. Like for instance one of the repair options takes a material, it doesn't tell you that it needs THREE of that material. There also didn't seem to be a way to actually dig into the ground, although you could dig into big resource objects (there were no physics though, so if you dug out from the bottom of said object, it would just float there).

It's also annoying having to go into the menu system (which is basically Destiny) every time you need to recharge your multi-tool or your life support system.

This was on the PC and there are literally no graphical settings but Brightness, they probably have a loader, but it wasn't included (even though it was being played through Steam). There were MANY bugs playing on the PC too, including the controller acting terribly (lag, random movement in different directions, menu system glitching). Keyboard and mouse played okay, but the key mapping made no sense to me. There were also lots of weird GUI issues, although many of them were specific to 4:3 aspect ratio, supposedly. The interface in general was a mess, there was just no consistency and a lot of things just didn't make sense.

Anyway, sorry to be a negative fucker, but I'm pretty bummed. It really just doesn't feel finished at all. Another person I know made it to space, and did some stuff there, and he felt the same as me. Someone else that was hyped for it, played it about as much as me and hated it even more.

I'm still torn on whether to buy this game, but I'm definitely not paying $60 for it. I'm tempted to get it on the PS4 since it should be in a bit better shape, but I'm going to hold off for now. It's amazing how it didn't even feel or look like a game that would be released in literally less than a week, and they are updating things at a frantic pace.

tldr; Just play Starbound instead. It's basically the same game, but better, except obviously it's 2D instead.

Last edited by flashburn; 08-03-16 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-03-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Geez, that turned into a wall of text. Sorry, mostly just a quick memory dump to help wrangle people's expectations a bit.

OH, and one other thing that bugged the HELL out of me. There was one resource it said I needed, and it actually gave me a waypoint to where I can find it... the issue was it was super far away, and I KNEW (because I died after I already gathered this resource) that this resource was definitely found a lot closer to it in a different location. It also only ever did this for one resource, not sure why. There was another resource, that I found earlier, collected, died, and then forgot what the resource looked like, spent like 10 minutes aimlessly wandering to try and find it again (there's no map or user created waypoints from what I could tell), and then I just gave up and stopped playing.
Old 08-03-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flashburn

(there were no physics though, so if you dug out from the bottom of said object, it would just float there).
Your whole post has me worried, but the quoted part especially. That's some amateur bullshit right there.
Old 08-03-16, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Your whole post has me worried, but the quoted part especially. That's some amateur bullshit right there.
Sorry man, I really don't want to be a downer, I'm bummed too.

To be fair, I was just playing on a small 21" 4:3 monitor and no sound, so it definitely wasn't an ideal setting.

I'll check out space some tomorrow, maybe that will be better?

I will say, there were things on the planet that LOOKED interesting, especially at night, but then once I finally got close to them, it was either nothing at all (just a weird terrain formation) or just a plant or something that broke down to some carbon. There were these "discoverables" that were new words for some language, but it was extremely superfluous.
Old 08-03-16, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The main point of this game to me has been exploration...with a mix of survival, combat, resource and building.

From what you are saying two of the central parts...crafting & resource gathering...are broken or a least not intuitive and detailed enough. So far on your post it seems....

Not a clear way of gathering materials
Not enough space to hold materials you need
Not a recipe book showing the amount of material needed to craft an item

I mean this is a important part to the game as it has been presented. And what did you mean the planet you went to was "sparse'...like in everything, life, items, etc...
Old 08-03-16, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I can't ever remember a game that has had this much hype that met expectations. It just rarely happens.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.