Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Quantum Break (REMEDY, Apr. 5, 2016, Xbox One) - Time lords need not apply

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-14, 11:02 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Quantum Break (REMEDY, Apr. 5, 2016, Xbox One) - Time lords need not apply

I figured it was time for its own thread...

Quantum Break is an upcoming third-person action video game to be released on the Xbox One. Developed by Finnish game developer Remedy Entertainment and published by Microsoft Studios, the game will feature live-action videos blended with regular gameplay. The game was revealed with a teaser trailer during the Xbox One reveal event on 21 May 2013. A Quantum Break television series is also in production, with Remedy stating that "how you play the game impacts the show, and the show informs how you play the game."

(obviously, with everything that has changed at MS/Xbox, some of the above may not be applicable anymore. Time will tell...)

Quantum Break is set in the fictional North Eastern U.S. Riverport University where a time travel experiment has gone wrong, giving the three main characters, Jack Joyce, Beth Wilder, and Paul Serene the ability to manipulate time. Paul Serene, for example, can see into the future to decide which choices to make in the present.

Original E3 2013 reveal:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xP8SnUAYP4g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pre-E3 2014 gameplay trailer:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OHICeAbGQfQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gamescom 2014 gameplay:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/w-aAWXKZS9M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Gamespot: There's More to Quantum Break Than You Might Think"
Yesterday's gameplay premiere ended with a climactic fight on the bridge, but today's demo took things a few steps further. What followed was a sequence that focused on Jack's struggle to traverse through some truly harrowing stutters in time, moments when everything has frozen in place save for a few select objects. What made this scene interesting is that time froze just as a runaway barge came crashing into the bridge, sending the whole thing crashing down in a hailstorm of twisted metal and mangled concrete.

This left Jack in a pretty tricky position. With no way to predict how long time would remain frozen, he had to dash across the tumbling wreckage of the bridge before it all came crashing down into the river below. Making things even more tricky was the fact that certain objects are caught in a "destructive loop," to use a term offered by Remedy creative director Sam Lake. Imagine a taxi hurling forward into another car, or a truck carrying a load of gravel overturning and spilling its load onto the asphalt. Now imagine that happening over and over again even as the rest of the world around it appears to be frozen in place. It's kind of a head trip, but that's Quantum Break in a nutshell.

The whole thing felt a bit like a 3D platforming game, something in the mold of Uncharted where the grace and athleticism of Nathan Drake has been traded for some truly incredible visual effects. The one area where Jack holds an advantage, though, is in his ability to manipulate certain objects--freezing falling debris in place to make a functional walkway and that sort of thing.
Old 08-15-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
re: Quantum Break (REMEDY, Apr. 5, 2016, Xbox One) - Time lords need not apply

I don't like the idea of live action being blended in with regular gameplay.

I'm also curious how things you do in a single player game can impact a television show.
Old 08-15-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I figured it was time for its own thread...
Old 08-15-14, 01:50 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Another article worth sharing...
A filmmaker is helping to make Quantum Break the most cinematic game Remedy has ever made
The team's cinematography director is a film director by profession but works with Remedy in an advisory role with regards to camera styles, depth of field and other tradition film and television techniques. Using these suggestions, the designers and animators are developing are currently following a style guide that the team hopes will maintain consistency in style between the television series and game itself.
I know some people here frown upon cinematics and all that jazz, but this sounds like a smart move, especially if Remedy didn't already have someone in charge of such things. Any guesses as to who the "cinematography director" is? I'm going with Michael Bay.
Old 08-18-14, 09:59 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Some more details on how the game and "TV Series" tie together

Quite how Quantum Break's TV element is meant to work has been a bit of a mystery. The two are interlinked, and the show ships on the disc, but the finer details have been vague. Now, creative director Sam Lake has explained a little more.

"Quantum Break is a fusion of a cinematic action game and a top-of-the-line live action show", he says, reiterating the idea that "the game is about heroes, the show is about villains". In this case the hero is the time manipulating hero Jack who stars in the game. The villain, and star of the TV show, is former friend Paul Serene who can see alternate futures. While the two elements are separate (although both come on the disc) Lakes says that they are "tied together in multiple ways that the player can affect with their choices".

An example Lake gives as one of those choices happens early in the game: after things go wrong for Paul Serene's Monarch Corporation you're able to choose, while playing as Serene, how to deal with the botched operation:

"One option is to take a really hardline reaction, no nonsense, no explanation, firmly in a military approach, find Jack and stop him. The other approach is more PR friendly. They do a cover up, they feed their own version of the story out there, gain the support of the Riverport population and paint Jack as a terrorist. Then you have slightly different outcomes to things."
Sounds... complicated. And it mostly sounds like the "show" is really just extended cutscenes. Hopefully we're not talking about 22-minute episodes, and more like mini-episodes.
Old 08-24-14, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Some more details on how the game and "TV Series" tie together

Sounds... complicated. And it mostly sounds like the "show" is really just extended cutscenes. Hopefully we're not talking about 22-minute episodes, and more like mini-episodes.
Sounds like a "choose your own adventure" type show to me. Like a more complex version of what Chris Roberts did in Wing Commander III and Wing Commander IV. Except instead of dialogue trees, your actions in the game affect the subsequent episodes. That would be pretty awesome.

So, how long until they release this on PC like they did for Alan Wake?
Old 08-24-14, 03:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Time Lords need not apply...
Old 08-24-14, 03:37 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Time lords.
We're allowed to have just one.
And you're IT!
Old 08-24-14, 05:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 10-24-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DFDKSAwjAEM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part of this is stuff already in the clips above, but there's some new stuff in there too.
Old 10-24-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I really want to play this. I hope it's not a long ass wait for the PC version.
Old 10-25-14, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan

Another article worth sharing...
A filmmaker is helping to make Quantum Break the most cinematic game Remedy has ever made

I know some people here frown upon cinematics and all that jazz, but this sounds like a smart move, especially if Remedy didn't already have someone in charge of such things. Any guesses as to who the "cinematography director" is? I'm going with Michael Bay.
I don't frown on taking cues from cinema. I do frown on taking on the limitations of film. I don't want grain, judder, or lowered frame rates in a game to "make it more cinematic". I also don't want the sense that the people making the game would rather be making a movie.
Old 11-21-14, 05:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Posted today by Remedy. A mutant and a hobbit. Cool.
Old 01-23-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Remedy on Quantum Break, Xbox One's Most Ambitious Exclusive and Revisiting Max Payne & Alan Wake

Known to some as the pained expression of the original Max Payne, Remedy's Creative Director Sam Lake is also a man in charge of one of 2015's most ambitious Xbox One action titles, the time-twisting Quantum Break. Taking transmedia to another level, the project takes the form of both a third-person shooter and TV show.

Billed as 'season one' of Quantum Break, you play as Jack Joyce and his allies, navigating their way through broken time, while the nefarious Monarch Corporation seek to take them down. Able to move through time brings with it a host of challenges for Remedy, a few of which Lake discusses with us.

Find out what bringing in a quantum physicist did to help the coherency of the game's core concepts and how juggling a TV show and game development has caused Lake and the team sleepless nights. Also find out about Remedy's desire to perhaps one day revisit Max Payne (even though Rockstar owns the IP) and Alan Wake.

There's all of this and loads more in our Quantum Break video interview with Sam Lake below. Quantum Break is coming exclusively to Xbox One later this year. For more on the game, hit up our preview here.

<iframe width="610" height="343" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CHehVgEt-EI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news...Alan-Wake.html
Old 03-09-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quantum Break Rumoured As Delayed Until Early 2016

Quantum Break could be delayed from its 2015 release window into early 2016, if rumblings from Xbox's Dutch Community & Social Media Coordinator are to be believed.

"Got some bad news #Xbox gamers, #QuantumBreak is likely delayed, coming early 2016!", tweeted 'Dae Jim', before clarifying his comments with some additional info. "That said, I'm not confirming it. It might release next week for all I know. I have strong reasons to believe it though, more info soon ," he said.

"Just to clarify I'm using likely because it's still a rumor and I cannot confirm it myself. Please wait for official PR from MS," Dae Jim's tweets continue. "Consider this please, delaying is bad for all who are waiting for it but good for the game itself. More sales, more polish and #XboxOne will have an insane 2015 anyway, with or without Quantum Break. Now it will make 2016 freaking awesome ".

File this one firmly under 'rumour' for now then, but don't be surprised if Microsoft does confirm that Remedy's Xbox One exclusive actioner has been delayed until 2016. For now, Quantum Break is still officially on for Xbox One.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news...arly-2016.html
Old 03-09-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rumor. I think I heard something about some guy shitting his pants at work. Until I hear otherwise it's a rumor.

Not concerned about this, it'll come out when it comes out. And if my love of Alan Wake has taught be anything, it's that this will be rad too.
Old 03-10-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wouldn't surprised me if this got delayed at all. Although if Tomb Raider is on track, wouldn't surprise me if it made sense on MS's side to give one more time to spread out their releases.
Old 03-19-15, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MICROSOFT GAUGING INTEREST IN ALAN WAKE XBOX ONE REMASTER

According to a survey that first surfaced on Reddit, it appears the Xbox manufacturer is gauging interest in a remade version of Remedy Entertainment's narrative-driven action game for its latest home console.

Not only does the survey ask users to rate their interest in Alan Wake, it also lists Alan Wake Remastered for Xbox One as a possible pre-order incentive for Quantum Break, the next big Microsoft-published exclusive from Remedy.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/...x-one-remaster

If this happens, I'll pre-order now!
Old 03-20-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

Quantum Break doesn't really interest me all that much - I man it looks good and everything...I'm just not taking to it - now a remaster of Alan Wake I would love.
Old 03-20-15, 10:07 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I'd pre-order if it included Alan Wake remastered. That's not a bad option at all.
Old 03-20-15, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ahem... GIVE ME REMASTERED ALAN WAKE
Old 04-02-15, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

MS announced this was pushed to 2016.
Old 04-02-15, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Well I guess there's still Tomb Raider set for this year right?
Old 04-02-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Poop.
Old 04-02-15, 09:58 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Dammit. That "remastered Alan Wake" offer better come sooner than later.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.