Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Resident Evil HD Remaster (360/PS3/PS4/XB1/PC)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-05-14, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAPCOM BRINGS BACK CLASSIC RESIDENT EVIL(TM) FOR NEXT AND CURRENT GEN PLATFORMS

Highly Demanded Fan Favourite Horror Title Returns in 2015

London, UK. -- August 5, 2014 -- Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced Resident Evil for PlayStation(R)4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation(R)3, Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC. Resident Evil will be available to purchase digitally across Europe and North America in Early 2015.

The hugely popular Resident Evil series, having sold over 61 million units to date, returns to its roots with a remastered version of the critically acclaimed masterpiece, Resident Evil. Originally released in 1996, Resident Evil was then "remade" in 2002 from the ground up with new visuals, gameplay elements, environments and story details whilst retaining the survival horror atmosphere the series had become synonymous for. Both fans of the franchise who want a trip down memory lane and those who are yet to experience the game that coined the term survival horror for the gaming world will appreciate this definitive re-visit of that iconic 2002 Resident Evil title.

Using the latest resolution enhancement and 3D model technology, game resolutions and textures have been significantly upgraded, including 1080p support on next-gen consoles, resulting in characters and backgrounds coming to life in greater detail than ever seen before in Resident Evil. Not only will the graphics impress but the tense sound effects have been fully remastered with 5.1 surround support for a greater gaming atmosphere. Players are now able to choose not only between experiencing the terror at the classic 4:3 ratio or a stunning 16:9 widescreen mode but also the type of control scheme they play with. The classic control scheme remains for fans of the original play style or there's an alternative scheme where the character moves directly in the direction of the analogue stick, utilizing the standards of the current generation of gaming. Both the control scheme and the display options can be toggled between at any time during gameplay.

The intense horror fans first experienced with the release of the original Resident Evil is back. Taking place in the now notorious Raccoon City, players choose to take on the role of either S.T.A.R.S. (Special Tactics and Rescue Service) team member Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine who have been sent into the city to find the missing Bravo team. When the team is suddenly attacked by a ferocious group of mutated dogs, desperate for an escape they take shelter in the Mansion, but will they ever get out alive again? Players will need to be brave as they adventure through the dark, enclosed spaces searching out the horrors that await them. With limited ammo and survival items available gamers will need to keep their wits about them to survive the various traps and puzzles that greet them at every stage.

To download the announcement assets for Resident Evil and the latest game information head over to our press site at www.capcomeuro-press.com
Sounds like it will be a download-only title. November 27 2014 for PS3/360 running at 720p, early 2015 for PS4/XB1/PC running at 1080p.
Old 08-05-14, 07:31 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Resident Evil HD Remaster (360/PS3/PS4/XB1/PC)

Sounds good, although I was hoping we'd someday get remakes redone with the newer post RE4 play style (Revelations being the best example).
Old 08-05-14, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is this just going to be like the Gamecube remaster on steroids? I loved that version.
Old 08-05-14, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
So is this just going to be like the Gamecube remaster on steroids? I loved that version.
It better be more than that since that version is already 12 years old. And if they just stretched it out in widescreen it would look even worse. They really need to build it again from the ground up with new controls for anyone to give a shit at this point.
Old 08-05-14, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Sounds good, although I was hoping we'd someday get remakes redone with the newer post RE4 play style (Revelations being the best example).
I don't think that really mixes well with the original RE. That game sort of depends on the old fashioned gameplay to work.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2CpX9vkXsk0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-05-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Dammit. I'd rather have a HD remaster of RE2. But I'll take what I can get
Old 08-05-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
It better be more than that since that version is already 12 years old. And if they just stretched it out in widescreen it would look even worse. They really need to build it again from the ground up with new controls for anyone to give a shit at this point.
That would be even better.
Old 08-05-14, 09:58 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

so is the alt. control scheme similar to the play in RE4?
Old 08-05-14, 11:53 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I don't think that really mixes well with the original RE. That game sort of depends on the old fashioned gameplay to work.
I don't know... Revelations, to me at least, had that same close-quarters feel the older games had. I thought the gameplay struck a nice middle ground between the two styles.
Old 08-05-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

So I guess they can just keep remastering this game every decade I never played the GC one though, i'm down to check this out.
Old 08-05-14, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had the remake and all of the ports for GameCube. Those are the only RE games I had ever played (never owned a PlayStation). The control scheme on the GCN controller was terrible, and took awhile to get used to. I'm guessing that's part of the game's build, though, and won't be changed on this release.
Old 08-05-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
I had the remake and all of the ports for GameCube. Those are the only RE games I had ever played (never owned a PlayStation). The control scheme on the GCN controller was terrible, and took awhile to get used to. I'm guessing that's part of the game's build, though, and won't be changed on this release.
It says there are multiple control schemes.
Old 08-05-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take an HD remake of Zero while we are at it.
Old 08-05-14, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 271 Likes on 174 Posts

Will buy
Old 08-05-14, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Dammit. I'd rather have a HD remaster of RE2. But I'll take what I can get
Why would you want a remaster of 2? It'd still look ugly today. You want a remake of 2. Not a remaster. A remake and a remaster are two different things.

A remaster is is a new copy with improving the sound and/image but its still the original object as well.

A remake is well... Recreating everything as new.

Example: the GC RE is a remake. Not a remaster. The PS3 HD collections or even the Halo anniversary game is a remaster.
Old 08-05-14, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have always hoped they would remaster 2 and 3 into one game. The beginning of nemesis when you are on the streets should be expanded as it was awesome.
Old 08-06-14, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
so is the alt. control scheme similar to the play in RE4?
I doubt it. The original game had "tank-like" controls; you always moved in the direction your character was facing. It was an early attempt at "cinematic" game play, and they switched the camera angle around frequently. That control scheme allowed you to continue running in the same direction even when the viewpoint would change.

I think what they'll do here is allow you to just point in a direction and move, as if it were a typical third-person game. Although you'll have to be quick to switch it up when the camera angle changes (unless they just do away with the changes in that mode and let you control the camera with the right analog stick).

And no, I'm sure they won't stretch it for widescreen. It will probably be a combination of rendering more of the environment on the sides and cropping, depending on the "shot."
Old 08-06-14, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm playing through RE0 now, and man I forgot how annoying and unintuitive tank controls are. I've got the Wii remake of RE1 in my pile of shame, but I might just hold off and wait until this come out.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Why would you want a remaster of 2? It'd still look ugly today. You want a remake of 2. Not a remaster. A remake and a remaster are two different things.

A remaster is is a new copy with improving the sound and/image but its still the original object as well.

A remake is well... Recreating everything as new.

Example: the GC RE is a remake. Not a remaster. The PS3 HD collections or even the Halo anniversary game is a remaster.
I think we all knew what he meant.
Old 08-06-14, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts

This is good news.
Old 08-06-14, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Would be better news if they did it to RE2. Still my favorite game of all time and the one I've played and beat the most.

Revelations was a nice return to form after the god awful 4,5, and 6.
Old 08-06-14, 08:22 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
I think what they'll do here is allow you to just point in a direction and move, as if it were a typical third-person game. Although you'll have to be quick to switch it up when the camera angle changes (unless they just do away with the changes in that mode and let you control the camera with the right analog stick)."
I think that only works if the camera is 3rd person. I think Devil May Cry did this and I despised it. As tough as the original RE controls can be, I still prefer it to constantly reorienting myself every 5 seconds.
Old 08-09-14, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm down as long as it doesn't take upwards of a minute to open and get through a friggin' door.
That was the most obnoxious thing about the original version. I know it was all about loading up the next environment, but that should be instantaneous now.
Old 08-10-14, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC I think I started the thread for the original release...I must be slipping in my old age
Old 08-28-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston...der-comparison
Old 08-28-14, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

That looks pretty nice

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.