Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Most overrated video game console?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Most overrated video game console?
Atari 2600
3.95%
Nintendo Entertainment System
0%
Sega Genesis
3.95%
Super Nintendo
1.32%
Sega Saturn
1.32%
Sony PlayStation
7.89%
Nintendo 64
9.21%
Sega Dreamcast
11.84%
PlayStation 2
3.95%
Xbox
1.32%
Gamecube
1.32%
Xbox 360
6.58%
PlayStation 3
3.95%
Wii
27.63%
Wii U
5.26%
Xbox One
5.26%
PlayStation 4
2.63%
Other
2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Most overrated video game console?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 01:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: Most overrated video game console?

Originally Posted by mhg83
Dreamcast. I loved the system a lot back in the day. They had great launch games. But looking back there really wasn't a good set of games throughout it's cycle. Maybe Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were the only exception. They really shot themselves in the foot by not making the games run on DVD.
this.
Old 07-17-14, 01:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Please, take your console wars to PM/email guys.
Old 07-17-14, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Christ, not this shit.
Definitely tiresome.

For what it's worth, like I said earlier I don't see how the Xbox One is overrated when (from my perspective, anyway) it's mostly been railed on by people.
From my perspective, it's for the same reasons the Dreamcast or Saturn gets included or even the PS3 or Gamecube. It has an exceedingly loyal following who think it's amazing despite its relative lack of success in the market.

Perhaps if we'd had a firm definition of what "rated" means. Is it sales? Is it popular opinion on the internet?

In the end, I think the winner has to be either Wii (crazy sales) or Dreamcast (popular opinion), but I can see a case being made for many others, including XB1, based on a wide variety of notions about what "rated" means.
Old 07-17-14, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
guys.
There is no guys.
Old 07-17-14, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Goldeneye, Mario Kart and the best WWF/WCW games ever easily gives the N64 a pass for me.

I'm going to be that guy that says I was not a fan of the PS1. The 3D0 was released prior and would have been a better console IMO but sadly cost way too much.

The Wii is also worth mentioning. I used mine to play the old resident evil gamecube ports and it sat collecting dust after that.
Old 07-17-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In a completely non fanboy argument...

I don't know how anyone could argue that the PS4 or Xbox One is either overrated or underrated. They just came out. They're nothing yet. Nothing. People enthusiastically like or dislike them based on brief current experience and previous brand loyalty, but not to where anyone could say either console is overrated or underrated. Especially people who've never even touched one.

And the Wii U? Seriously, who voted that as "overrated"?
Old 07-17-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
In a completely non fanboy argument...

I don't know how anyone could argue that the PS4 or Xbox One is either overrated or underrated. They just came out. They're nothing yet. Nothing. People enthusiastically like or dislike them based on brief current experience and previous brand loyalty, but not to where anyone could say either console is overrated or underrated. Especially people who've never even touched one.
well said.
Old 07-17-14, 02:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I heard somebody say that "Mario Kart 8" was "pretty good".
Old 07-17-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Ugh I'm sick of hearing how amazing the Wii U is tbh. It's typical console fanboy shit but it gets old, even when the platform is failing.
Old 07-17-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Dreamcast. I loved the system a lot back in the day. They had great launch games. But looking back there really wasn't a good set of games throughout it's cycle. Maybe Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were the only exception. They really shot themselves in the foot by not making the games run on DVD.
I don't think that would have been a feasible option, as the technology was still expensive. Standalone DVD players were still around $300 in 1999, so basing it on that would have likely pushed the cost of the Dreamcast to that price or even $350. If they had waited a year they could have gotten it down to maybe $250, but then they would have succumbed to the PS2 just as easily as they did. They were betting that a year's head start plus a relatively low price would lead to success. It was about the only thing they could have done, as their brand was tarnished at that point.
Old 07-17-14, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The way consoles/games aged is irrelevant. Even at that I'd easily revisit any game on the list I posted over PS1 games. Now those have aged horribly. Also the fact that some of those games have been remade is a testament to the game itself and not the limitations of the console.

Chess, N64 was not the first with an analog stick. I believe it was the Saturn.
Yeah I agree. Hell actually te Nintendo 64 may be my favorite Nintendo console ever in all honesty. I think there are still some games in it's library that have held up pretty well.

For me the original PlayStation never really lived up to the hype. Maybe it's because I got it late and didn't own a ton of games but I never had a ton of favorite games for it. Maybe the Tomb Raider games, Crash Bandicoot, and Spyro but not much else. The games definitely have aged poorly too I agree.

The Nintendo Wii wasn't that great either. I bought one after buying into the hype and honestly haven't even played much of it. I use it to play some of the classic games but that's about it. To me the Wiimote gimmick got old really fast and aside from the Nintendo exclusives the output of games just wasn't impressive. I'd like Nintendo to make a kickass console again someday but it doesn't seem like it'll happen. They're always a step behind and rely too heavily on fans who are nostalgic for the classic titles that they don't seem innovative anymore. The best thing they have going now is the 3DS/2DS.
Old 07-17-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could never vote for the Wii since it was the best PS3 dualshock charger I ever had
Old 07-17-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Why, just because you say so?
I strongly disagree with that assertion, because it's with hindsight and seeing how games have aged, that you can clearly see if and how something was overrated..
Probably not gonna sway you but this is how I see it. Just because Turok, WCW or Goldeneye haven't aged well (because games and certain genres like FPS and sports have advanced) doesn't change the fact that I spent hundreds of hours playing them. If you can get that much entertainment out of something I don't see how you can honestly say it was overrated.

In fact I'd almost say the era of games aging well ended at the 16bit era, with a few rare exceptions of stylized games like Okami or Wind Waker (plus a recent trend of making 8 & 16 bit looking games).

Hindsight is more valid when a game was just bad from the get go but you played & loved it anyway. Shadows of the Empire is a good example. It was clearly not a great at the time, but it was the first console Star Wars game in 3D, so it was awesome! Hindsight... it was pretty overrated. Also, launch titles are notoriously overrated.
Old 07-18-14, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
did you even buy it at launch? that console was amazing....enormous jump from previous generation. Did Sega make some dumb decisions in managing the console? Yes, but it was a damn impressive console with some amazing games

Nope. I got it much later, used. Had fun with a few games but wasn't too impressed.
Old 07-18-14, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Five current gen votes.
Old 07-18-14, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Nope. I got it much later, used. Had fun with a few games but wasn't too impressed.
Yeah, by that same regard every post-SNES console sucks. It's painful playing anything older.
Old 07-18-14, 09:30 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Five current gen votes.
Hey, at least PS4 is 50% LESS than X1 at something, amirite or amirite? Amirite?
Old 07-18-14, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Five current gen votes.
I'm curious what sites people are reading to make them think the Wii U is overrated.
Old 07-18-14, 12:20 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

going off sales vs quality alone I would say Wii...going off how much people love the system vs actual quality of the games on that system is a lot harder....

and those that voted PS4/Xbox one...come on guys....even the Wii U is so young we have no idea how it will end up.
Old 07-18-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Nintendo Wii - the fastest console to go from the media rack to the closet.
Old 07-18-14, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

I don't see how the Wii can be considered overrated just because it sold a lot. It's pretty much reviled by the gaming community. You wouldn't consider Transformers 4 overrated just because it made a boat load of money.
Old 07-19-14, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to second Groucho with the original PlayStation.

The fifth generation was terrible, especially coming from how amazing the fourth generation was. The Saturn was garbage whereas the N64 had the best catalog of games, but the controller sucked and many developers turned their back on Nintendo for various reasons.

Outside of a few IPs that were born on the PS at that time (Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider, Twisted Metal, etc) and Final Fantasy VII, I really can't remember other games that stood out. Outside of the cool ability of having cut scenes and video, it wasn't as powerful (or as beautiful) as what the N64 at that time accomplished.

And anyone who says otherwise, the Dreamcast is the most underrated video game console.
Old 07-19-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kefrank
I'll bite. Those commercials have hardly anything to do with the importance/quality of the Atari 2600 system. The first commercial is for the Jr. model, which was just a mid/late-80s re-release of the 2600 system in a smaller, cheaper form factor. The second commercial has nothing to do with the 2600 so I fail to see the relevance. I've never heard of anyone rating the Atari XE very high.

The Atari VCS/2600 came out in 1977. It was revolutionary. It paved the way for the home video game market and most importantly it had a ton of games that were fun. The NES and Sega Master Systems came out in the mid-80s and represented the bump you'd expect from a subsequent video game generation, but I don't see how that has any bearing on how highly-rated the 2600 was and still is in video game console history. In fact, your Jr. model commercial brings up a good counter-argument. That model sold tens of millions of units while the Nintendo and Sega were dominating the home market, which says something about how great the games for the 2600 were.

Full disclosure: I never had a 2600 as a kid, but I love playing it now.
The 2600 was revolutionary in it's first couple of years, but the reason I picked it was for the latter majority of it's period of home console dominance, from '80-86 (in the US). By 1979 it was clearly outclassed by the Intellivison, and later the ColecoVision, but it got by on it's cheap price, large game catalog, and because it's what every other kid on the block had.

A lot of the 2600's catalog was pure crap, even by the standards of the day. This included a significant number of official titles and the majority of 3rd party titles which Atari could not control. This flood of bad games was in part responsible for the video game sector collapse in 1983. The US game market didn't recover until the NES launch in '86, and from that point the console market became completely dominated by Japan for the next 15 years.
Old 07-19-14, 10:30 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

PS4. I like it, think some games look great, but exclusives aren't that great so far. That and the fact that so many people bought it because of so much unwarranted negativity toward the Xbox One (how I wish I had the option to not have to insert a disc to play the game, but that's not happening).

The interface isn't very good, and the touch pad on the ds4 is gimmicky (more gimmicky than Kinect), and almost completely useless.

I also don't like it's incompatibility with Harmony remotes.

You can't play CDs or mp3s on the PS4. Really, what is the hold up?

The DS4 is a good controller. Unfortunately it's battery life is crap.

Why this is the best selling new console is kind of a mystery, other than that the games look great. If the PS4 fixes all these problems, it won't be overrated.
Old 07-19-14, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brack never fails to delight

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.