Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Old 02-06-16, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I finally got to this one in my game pile.

After playing about a week, I finally reached my "fuck this shit" point, rage quit, and deleted the game off my PS4.
What part, after which boss?
Old 02-06-16, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
What part, after which boss?
Didn't ever get past the first boss.
Old 02-06-16, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Honestly, I am not impressed in the least.
That's what she said.
Old 02-06-16, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had the same problem and it took me about 8 hours or so of gaming to figure it out. Once I was able to beat the Cleric boss and level up, the game became a ton more fun and more manageable than it is at the beginning.
Old 02-07-16, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that's where I first gave up as well. I didn't touch the game again for 6 months. Then I found out that just getting to the first boss (even if you just run past all enemies and not even beating the boss) will allow you to start leveling up. I did that, did some grinding to level up, after which I was really able to play the game from there and make some progress. Now I think it's fantastic.
Old 02-07-16, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly, even at the point that I'm at (haven't played in a bit, but i'm still at the Forbidden Woods area) I don't find the game particularly great even though i've put a lot of hours in. At least to the extent of all the review scores. One of those games that just aren't for everyone, which does make me a little surprised at how high the overall review scores are and that there weren't more counter points like the IGN one discussed earlier in the thread.

I think I would be more engaged if there was an actual story and narrative to this game.
Old 02-07-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Honestly, even at the point that I'm at (haven't played in a bit, but i'm still at the Forbidden Woods area) I don't find the game particularly great even though i've put a lot of hours in. At least to the extent of all the review scores. One of those games that just aren't for everyone, which does make me a little surprised at how high the overall review scores are and that there weren't more counter points like the IGN one discussed earlier in the thread.

I think I would be more engaged if there was an actual story and narrative to this game.
The atmosphere and little shreds of backstory kept me in it, plus I just enjoyed the hell out of it. But everybody does have their own tastes (ie: I still don't get Skyrim, or Elder Scrolls games in general). To note, there is a good bit of story in this, its just tucked away in item descriptions leaving you to connect the dots.

I will say I don't like the recent addition of The Old Hunters NPCs before boss fights, it takes away from the game a good bit. Boss battles go from being these strategic attack battles to being "flank the boss while the NPC distracts it", greatly reduces the pulse pounding aspect of those battles.

If you're talking about Cleric Beast, he is an optional boss, you just need to access him once to get your first Insight (or find it elsewhere). I'd just open the Central Yarhnam gate and bypass him if he's causing anyone grief.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-07-16 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-07-16, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The atmosphere and little shreds of backstory kept me in it, plus I just enjoyed the hell out of it. But everybody does have their own tastes (ie: I still don't get Skyrim, or Elder Scrolls games in general). To note, there is a good bit of story in this, its just tucked away in item descriptions leaving you to connect the dots.
Atmosphere is great and I love the aesthetic, but I don't find the little notes, 1 or 2 sentences from a random voice, or a line of text for an item much of a story at all. It's junk to me, but then again this is certainly a type of game that relies on gameplay over story. If I actually knew what my character was doing and more about the world, i'd probably feel more invested as someone that doesn't find the gameplay as engaging.

Case in point, I resumed playing this a bit this morning and happened to trigger a cut scene where I get picked up by a carriage; instead of thinking it was cool and ominous, it didn't mean much to me at all other then another random level. Meanwhile, I'm on Rom the Spider now. Slowly getting through this.
Old 02-29-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This cracked me up:

Old 02-29-16, 02:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

I really need to get back into this game.
Old 02-29-16, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 164 Posts

I'm on NG+2 right now and just helping player with bosses they're having difficulty beating. Orphan of Kos is one I'm been helping. Not a easy fight, hated that second phase cause he fast and jump a lot plus that screaming bolt wave which can killed you if don't run away quickly.
Old 02-29-16, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Chalice dungeons; worth doing, or not?
I've tried a couple and got to the end boss, it was mostly a pain in the ass and not particularly fun. I guess partly because I like the game's world/environment, and those dungeons don't really have that.
Old 03-01-16, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I did a few Chalice Dungeons and had the same feeling as you....not really much to them. I love Bloodborne but haven't played in a while.

Pre-ordered Dark Souls III though, so looking forward to that.
Old 05-19-16, 10:32 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Alright so... I'm going to have some spare time in the next few weeks (wife and kid leaving to visit family ) so I want to dive back into this game.

I think I should start over. I had no idea what I was doing when I started, and I don't remember any of my character settings, weapons, etc.

So, for a beginner, newb, or someone with a decent but not not extremely high level of skill, how should I set up my character? I specifically mean Vitality, Endurance, Strength, Skill, Bloodtinge, and Arcane.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Funny but this came up in last night's conversation on which games should me and a friend tackle....Dying Light, Borderlands 2, Warframe, Far Cry 4 and of course this. But I have to be in the right mindset for this game; it just drained me sometimes and stressed my patience. I'm not sure where I'm at but I do know where ever it is it's not probably good. I think if and when we do get back we're heading to the Chalice Dungeons (co-op) We despised the invading part of the game because we just wanted to explore and complete each area....but noooooo. Some just didn't like that.

I'd hope Rich jumps in since I think he finished it and started his second playthru......
Old 06-11-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have not played this game in over a year and this week decided to start it up again. I decided to start from the beginning again and what a mistake... at first.. I had forgotten the level of frustration this game can give early on.. Easily one of the hardest games right off the bat. However, after really sticking with it I am now further in than I ever was before. The game is fantastic but I totally understand people who give up quickly. It's a game designed to pay dividends with player perserverance, but damn it's brutal. Actually excited to see what a sequel gives.
Old 06-12-17, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AMEN....still to this date the one game that I had the most extreme "Love & Hate" relationship with ever.......

I cannot count how many times I gave it a thought to pick it up and play only to remember the amount of frustration those Bosses gave me. And if you wanted a friend to play along, you had to look ahead of you for the unknown and over our shoulder for some stupid invader. We were actually loving the Dungeons more than the outside. I quit playing after one boss...that one that looks sort like a large Jellyfish whose name starts with a "E" I think and after it killed me over 18+ times...that things gave me nightmares.
Old 06-14-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well i am way further than i was the last time i played this, and now going back to earlier sections is a joke its so easy. Literally running and killing everything in sight without hesitating and losing any health or using any ammo. I do love that the game later on still provides a real test and the section i am at is certainly not a walk in the park. I have spent a considerable time though leveling up which is pretty much essential. I keep returning to early sections just to stock up on echoes and gear.

The biggest problem i think i have with this game is that with a lack of a map it can mean a whole lot of running around wondering where you need to go next. I would hope they address this with a sequel. Maps that complete as you traverse sections work well in this type of game.

And i thought it the first time around, but even further in it becomes even more apparent. This game is damn beautiful to look at. The design on the creatures, characters and levels is incredible.
Old 06-14-17, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 164 Posts

So is the rumor Bloodborne 2 really coming? Thought From might show it at E3 but haven't heard anything from then.
Old 06-15-17, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dom56
So is the rumor Bloodborne 2 really coming? Thought From might show it at E3 but haven't heard anything from then.
I'm wondering this myself. I doubt From Software is making it if it is even in development. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 06-15-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At this point it was more like a "Hope" more than a rumor. I was watching the live stream and toward the end when the speaker announce the last trailer....I was glued to the screen just praying I start to hear some creepy music, a dark figure in a cape and pointed hat and then see that Beast Cutter whipped out dripping blood....

Besides that let down there was some speculation we see something new from Sucker Punch as well....
Old 06-16-17, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually picked up a copy of Dark Souls III on Black Friday last year and still not played it. Sounds like its more of the same as Bloodborne. What can i expect?

And i really hope that we see a Bloodborne II in the near future. As hard and frustrating as this game is, i can hardly put the thing down now. I am at a point where i am fighting 3 boss guys at the same time. It was pissing me off as this game really requires me to focus and concentrate and all last night my wife was shouting things for me to help her with, my step daughter kept bothering me with a science experiment she was doing and my two dogs kept jumping on me. I was close to going postal. This game does not allow distraction.

And another thing i noticed. To try and pause the action to take a breather i pressed the PlayStation button on the controller to go back to the system menu, yet the game continues. I come back to the game only to find i have been killed. Bugged the shit out of me.
Old 07-18-19, 08:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Awwww yeeeeeeah!

(vinyl soundtrack. Tomorrow.)
Old 03-25-20, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hard to believe...but today is Bloodborne's Fifth Anniversary.....

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net...h-anniversary/

Bloodborne Fans Celebrate Game's Fifth Anniversary with Lovely Artwork - Push Square
Old 04-29-20, 12:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Whoa.

Bloodborne patched to run at 60fps with proper frame timing.
Lowered the ingame resolution to 720p to improve performance.
Running on and captured on a PS4 Pro with Boost Mode enabled.
Bugs: Effects (blood, smoke, etc) run at double speed. HUD does not work properly. Should be able to fix both of these issues.
To be clear... This is a fanmade patch and requires a hackable PS4 pro.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.