Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Old 02-03-15, 08:27 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Interesting big boss at the end. Not digging how your character moves. Looks....generically stilted but...the atmosphere, setting, and anything visual or audio is sexy.

Not sure if I'm interested but... I await for ya'lls words when this thing comes out.
Old 02-03-15, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The sense of achievement from the Souls games isn't enough to justify the frustration of the experience imho. Since this once is clearly following suit I'm gonna pass on this one. I just don't see any reason not to include an easy mode.
Old 02-03-15, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

I would like to see an adaptive difficulty. If you're good at the game it becomes harder and if you're not good the game becomes easier. That way the hardcore fans won't have to bitch about having an easy mode. They won't even notice it's there.
Old 02-03-15, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I would like to see an adaptive difficulty. If you're good at the game it becomes harder and if you're not good the game becomes easier. That way the hardcore fans won't have to bitch about having an easy mode. They won't even notice it's there.
I'd totally buy the game if this were the case.
Old 02-03-15, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In adaptive games, or ones that give you an option after dying many times, I'd prefer it if the game visually reminded you that you aren't good enough. You can't be better? Sure...we'll make it easier but we'll make your character wear a stupid hat, a purple ribbon on your wrist or a chicken helmet.

Ninja Gaiden did that w/ Ninja Dog Mode.

If you go lower difficulty than normal, I think you should lose the option of gaining stuff along the way. No achievements/trophies, can't make a NG+ on a game that allows it, etc.
Old 02-03-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

IGN has a pretty good article up with the person having played the first two hours of it. Apparently there is far more than the "First 18 Minutes " we saw and to say the least he was impressed. just a bit and here is the link....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/...d-it-ign-first

Bloodborne Hands-On: We Were Punished and We Liked It - IGN First

My first two hours in the world of Bloodborne pointed towards an angrier, more aggressive game than From Software’s previous action-RPGs. The methodical “sword-and-board” playstyle of Dark Souls 1 and 2 has been injected with a treacherous dose of energy in a handful of ways. Enemies in Bloodborne seem to come in at a much higher volume than before, and I oftentimes found a horde of beasts continued to follow me long after I thought I’d lost them. Lucky for me, I quickly adapted to the new style of combat, so I rarely elected to try to run past any enemies.

You’re not going to survive by being passive in Bloodborne. You can’t pop in, draw a single enemy back, and take your sweet time with them. Instead, prepare to dive head-first into an encounter and get a bit messy. The same flow of “observe, dodge, react” exists here, but the cycle rolls much faster than before
Old 02-06-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bloodborne Defences Include Shields, But Frequent Use Results In Quick Death

If you observe various Bloodborne gameplay videos released by From Software, you will notice that this game does not include any special type of defense mechanism.

Taking this fact into account, IGN made the efforts to get this clarified, and indeed, Sony's Japan Studio confirmed that Bloodborne will have shields

According to Masaaki Yamagiwa, producer at Sony's Japan Studio, the over use of these shield will kill your character quickly in this game.

"There are shields in the game. However if you're always standing back and guarding, you'll die very quickly. So you have to incorporate it into your strategy of how you play and fight.

We wanted these encounters and battles to be so intense that If you just stand and wait, you'll get overwhelmed and killed right away. We wanted to encourage players to not hide and wait, but instead be more aggressive and pro-active in battle."

http://www.gamepur.com/news/17929-bl...ick-death.html
Old 02-13-15, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bloodborne's Soundtrack Has Stolen Our Hearts

Okay, so maybe we're jumping the gun a bit early with Valentine's Day jokes, but with Studio Japan sharing live footage of one of Bloodborne's musical tracks entitled "Cleric Beast", we've been swept off our feet. London based Air Studio provided the performance with choir and orchestra in full form, ready to send shivers down your spine.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/...len_our_hearts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LUbA4jp2dj8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-19-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, about those cancelled 1886 preorders...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z9kAbFa78kA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-21-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I didn't cancel my Order game but I'm still looking at this as one to get next month. Not a whole going on April & May. Next month besides Bloodborne is Borderlands: The Handsome Collection. I really miss that game and had great times with it. Just not sure if I want to go thru BL2 again (completed about 90% with all four characters) but never did the pre-quell part that came out last year. Bloodborne looks interesting especially with co-op play.

I saw this video that shows two weapons in action...the Threaded Cane and something called the Reiterpallash (something like a Gunblade). From Dualshockers they state...

During a Demon’s Souls-focused livestream broadcasted today, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio Producer Masaaki Yamagiwa, who is currently working on Bloodborne, had a definitely nice surprise treat for the fans of the game.

He introduced about five minutes of live gameplay of the latest build of Bloodborne, showcasing two of the game’s weapons, the newly introduced Reiterpallash (basically your old dear gunblade) and the threaded cane.

Interestingly, we also see what seems to be a mechanic that allows you to use blood from the vials instead of bullets (adding five extra bullets to your count) and the retrieval of a pool of blood echoes from the ground.

You can see a recording below. Unfortunately the video quality is quite bad, as usual with Nico Nico videos (you should have seen the original… I had to edit out about 20 pauses due to constant buffering), but still, it should give you a good idea of how the two weapons work

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZxOrn5nEUQ8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by K&AJones; 02-21-15 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-27-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bloodborne's New boss....Bone Crusher....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u0FKfK0H9dY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-01-15, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That boss video is righteous. Can't wait.
Old 03-11-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

World's First Verdict On PS4 Exclusive Bloodborne Coming Tomorrow, Edge Played "40 Hours With Full Game"

From Software's Bloodborne, is one of the biggest PlayStation 4 release of 2015. The game is officially scheduled to launch on March 24, how about getting a "VERDICT" on it next week? Edge Magazine new issue will carry a full verdict on Bloodborne. The issue will go on sale tomorrow. You can check out the cover of the new issue below.

The announcement about Bloodborne VERDICT came via official Twitter account of Edge Magazine. The publication tweeted: "We deliver our Bloodborne verdict In the new issue, out tomorrow. Here's the cover:"

For those who are expecting a full review of Bloodborne, prepare to get disappointed as Edge Magazine's "Nate Dogg" via rllmukforum has clarified that the review won't be live until next month's issue, and the verdict will be on "40 hours" of Bloodborne gameplay.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/18257-wo...ge-played.html

Twitter Page of Edge.....

https://twitter.com/edgeonline/statu...427264/photo/1
Old 03-11-15, 01:48 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have tried to keep my hype down on this game, but I can't take it anymore.
Old 03-11-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm so ready for this. I do wish it had released about a month earlier, instead of coming out the same day as the Borderlands collection and 2 weeks before the Dark Souls II re-release, because I can't wait to get my hands on those either. But this will probably get the majority of my time.
Old 03-11-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Bloodborne's New boss....Bone Crusher....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u0FKfK0H9dY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Damn. I've now seen two bosses from this game, and they are both...just...damn.

I've never tried a Souls game, but this looks special. Not giving in to hype though. Not after Destiny.
Old 03-11-15, 02:41 PM

March 24th can't get here soon enough. I look forward to being invaded and murdered for the first time (I have always sucked at the PvP invasions in every Souls game).
Old 03-11-15, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GYGxyjXrnCk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lyrics are NSFW
Old 03-11-15, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FWIW...I believe I saw where the Digital DL will be around 27gb. I haven't paid much attention to the deals out there except BB lowered their fee on the Gamers Club from $100 to $30 and might look at that again.

There's a Q&A with the EU producer and they asked about the co-op part...

Q: How did you implement the cooperative mode in Bloodborne? Is it a classic, drop in drop out mode where none can lose its character progress or is it like the Demon/Dark Souls' one?

People will need to support each other at times, but what From Software always want to go for is that Players are able to come into your game seamlessly without any warning. Players have to figure out what their motives are. Are they there for PVP or for coop? After you fulfil a certain criteria, you can actively open up your game. We wanted to avoid situations where players get so frustrated, they’ll stop playing. Coop is really important, but not offering it in a traditional sense and rather keep it a little unknown.

Last edited by K&AJones; 03-11-15 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-11-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Souls series (which, let's face it, this is a part of) have the most ingenious and creative implementation of multiplayer elements of any games ever made. It really adds to the experience in a unique way, rather than just being a traditional, predictable type of thing.
Old 03-11-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Impressions from EDGE's 40 hours with the game (copied from GAF):

• Playthrough did not involve Chalice Dungeon or multiplayer - they also did not complete the game in 40 hours.
  • "Bloodborne is Hidetaka Miyazaki's brutal riposte to the section of his playerbase that thinks it has seen it all before."
  • Merchant sells a clip-on lantern (hello Demon's Souls augite)
  • "Yharnam spends the game in the grip of a perpetual night...that can only be brought to an end by the player finding and finishing off the source of the scourge of beasts." (this could be referring short term like...defeat a major boss, get some daytime, or overall, I guess)
  • Description on the first shield they found: Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity.
  • Some enemies in the game can use spells
  • Confirmed Bloodtinge stat governs bullet damage
  • Transforming strikes and their follow-up attacks give you a way of reaching enemies that in other Souls games might be out of reach because they were pushed back by your earlier attacks - they say stamina management is a more diverse process in Bloodborne than in the earlier games
  • Bloodstone shards = titanite, coldblood = portable souls, most common items are blood vials (healing) and quicksilver bullets, but stocks can grow low later in the game
  • Surplus items are automatically sent to a storage box, and if you die your items are replenished from the box automatically
  • They say your starting stats are dictated by the trick weapon you choose (which runs counter to the origins shown in the character creator...)
  • Enemies only drop upgrade mats and items
  • Very few chests, almost all have something good inside
  • Clothes found in the world or from a merchant whose catalog expands when you defeat bosses
  • Only found 6 or so weapons and 6 or so guns in 40 hours
  • Bloodgems are an upgrade item that allows you to change the attributes of a weapon, ex. increasing physical attack power, adding poison damage, or increasing scaling - all the weapons in the game are customizable with bloodgems
  • Did not beat the game but they feel like it is less replayable than its predecessors (this does not count the Chalice Dungeon or multiplayer components)
  • You can keep up to 5 dungeon configurations in your Chalice Dungeon stock
  • Lantern checkpoints are not "overabundant" like the bonfires of Dark Souls II, you open shortcuts rather than getting new bonfires (ala Demon's Souls)
  • "Discrete areas flow together to create a believable world" - separating the hub from the main gameworld allows the world itself to be more coherent, interconnectivity is present and very complex throughout the game - they compare it directly to Dark Souls' "falling apart" in the second half and say that unlike Dark Souls, Bloodborne maintains its dense, interconnected world design through the other game. They say several areas rival Firelink Shrine in terms of interconnectivity.
  • They say in Souls you are frequently scared of dying, but in Bloodborne you are also scared of what is coming to kill you - "There is a moment in Dark Souls that we will never forget: down in the Depths, picking up an item from a corpse and a slime dropping onto our head. We spent the rest of the level panning the camera endlessly for unseen threats, no longer scared of dying, but of moving. Imagine a whole game of that." - For this reason they think taking the replayability factor to CD makes more sense.
  • Torch may be very important for newcomers/first playthroughs
  • There is a new mechanic they are not allowed to discuss
  • "If you thought From Software was going soft, Hidetaka Miyazaki is about to put you brutally back in your place. And if you've been watching this generation from the sidelines, unmoved by the remasters and rush jobs while you wait for the first true essential to arrive, now's the time. As if there was ever any doubt, Miyazaki and his team have done it all over again."
I'm on media blackout for this game as I always do with Souls games, so I only read a couple of items on the list. Sounds awesome!
Old 03-11-15, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Looking forward to this, haven't played anything since Dragon Age after The Order reviews were not so nice.

Going with this over the new Dark Souls II but will probably get that eventually as well since I never played the PS3 version.
Old 03-12-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty well produced video on mechanics and weapons...and some nice gameplay:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2d-upp0BrB4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm trying not to get sucked into the hype, and I'm doing poorly. The souls games always looked a little bit slow and deliberate for me, but this looks fast and more fun.
Old 03-12-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Come on, give in to the hype! It's not like you've been burned before.

Seriously though, I'm getting sucked in too.
Old 03-12-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I should also add that I've never been crazy about the D&D aesthetic of the souls games, but this gothic horror aesthetic is pretty amazing. Instead of being straight fantasy, it gives a twisted dystopian "something not quite right" vibe, and I really dig it.

It's the same feel I get from movies like Brazil or City of Lost Children...if that makes any sense.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.