The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Old 04-22-15, 06:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Originally Posted by slop101
Does anyone know if they've made changes from the last game to this one?

While Witcher 2 was an alright game, it honestly left me a little bored. Between all the item management, constant navigation of multiple menus and somewhat tedious gameplay (they tried to mix up the combat to keep it interesting, but instead, they made it far too convoluted to be any fun) it really kept me at an arm's length. I know I sound like I want the game "dumbed down", but I really just want it more streamlined so I don't have to break immersion by the constant and relentless item/menu management.
This is what wikipedia says:

CD Projekt RED has said that it is not necessary to have played the previous games to fully enjoy Wild Hunt.[9] While similar to the previous Witcher games, Wild Hunt has improved on several aspects from past games. Combat revolves around an action role-playing game system combined with the use of magic. The fighting system has been completely revamped.[9] Wild Hunt introduces some new mechanics, such as witcher-sense, combat on horseback, and at sea, swimming underwater, and using a crossbow. Additionally, Geralt can now jump, climb, and vault over smaller obstacles. The climbing mechanics have been described as "not exactly" like Assassin's Creed, but more "similar to what we have in Uncharted."[10] Item creation and potion brewing still remains as in previous games, but has been modified from The Witcher 2. There are 10 witcher signs, 5 original ones, each having 1 alternative form.

Each action the player does will affect the world; every quest has a plethora of options on how to complete it, and every outcome is different each time. CD Projekt RED anticipates approximately 100 hours for the completion of the game,[11] 50 of them belonging to side quests, and 50 belonging to the main story line.[11]

The game features a dynamic day and night system, realistic AI, responsive and dynamic environments. The day and night cycle will influence some monsters and their powers, similar to how a werewolf would gain powers during the night of a full moon.[12] The game also features a dynamic beard growth system, in which the beard of the playable character Geralt will grow when he travels between regions. According to the developer, the beard will grow "in different states". However, this feature will not be available after the player downloaded the free Beard and Hairstyle DLC.[13]

Ciri, an exceptional swordfighter with mythical powers, will be a playable character for part of the game.[14]
Also, I pre-ordered at Best Buy. This sounds like the game I wanted as a follow up to Oblivion but never got.
Old 04-22-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Still, nothing in that video or quoted the texts seem to address my issues with the previous game; the overly convoluted menus and overly complicated fighting mechanics.
Old 04-23-15, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I honestly didn't find combat all that complex. You had strong and fast attacks and a block button. The only other complication was using a silver sword for magical creatures and a steel sword for non-magical beings (mainly humans). And that never became an issue since Geralt automatically unsheathes the correct sword when your press the X button, unless you choose a specific sword for whatever reason.

My only issue was how many enemies they'd pile on you at once so early in the game. I'd be constantly overwhelmed by numerous baddies coming at me from all sides. Especially right after the prologue.
Old 04-23-15, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, there were also all these potions you had to drink and keep track of, and a whole bunch of other item resources (daggers, traps, etc.) that really bogged things down because you had to use them all, seemingly at once. It wasn't anywhere near as simple as just a couple of attacks and a block.

I wonder if the people who are excited for this 3rd game ever played the last one (which I know was somewhat simplified from the first one, so maybe this will follow suit).
Old 04-23-15, 10:11 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, there were also all these potions you had to drink and keep track of, and a whole bunch of other item resources (daggers, traps, etc.) that really bogged things down because you had to use them all, seemingly at once. It wasn't anywhere near as simple as just a couple of attacks and a block.

I wonder if the people who are excited for this 3rd game ever played the last one (which I know was somewhat simplified from the first one, so maybe this will follow suit).
You never once had to mess with potions an daggers...I beat the second game on this highest difficulty not having touched one potion. I got into potions in the first game but honestly it was not worth it.

The key to these games is stay on the outside and roll. Attack when you see a chance. It plays differently than almost any other game of its type.
Old 04-23-15, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by foxdvd
The key to these games is stay on the outside and roll. Attack when you see a chance.
Which does absolutely no good when you're flanked by multiple enemies and/or enemies who shoot magic/arrows/daggers at you. Which is why you're required to mix it up with potions, traps and so many other things that I just couldn't keep straight.
Old 04-23-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I'm excited. The Witcher 2 was one of my favorite games from last gen. I don't really get the complaint about the combat I thought it was challenging yet simply and a lot better than most action RPG's,
Old 04-23-15, 01:34 PM
gamer for life

Which does absolutely no good when you're flanked by multiple enemies and/or enemies who shoot magic/arrows/daggers at you. Which is why you're required to mix it up with potions, traps and so many other things that I just couldn't keep straight.
I mean I am not insane..I know how I played the game. I played on Dark difficulty, and I never once used potions..and I don't think I even used traps that much. The game is in your face at first, but it is really easy to get enemies into the middle and work them off one by one. As difficulty goes it is a level lower than Dark Souls even on dark difficulty...and you played that.
Old 04-23-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not the difficulty I had a problem with, just the overly complicated mechanics of trying to do everything to not die.
Old 04-23-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
You never once had to mess with potions an daggers...I beat the second game on this highest difficulty not having touched one potion. I got into potions in the first game but honestly it was not worth it.

The key to these games is stay on the outside and roll. Attack when you see a chance. It plays differently than almost any other game of its type.
Same here. Completed the game on both Normal and Dark difficulty, never used potions or traps. The menus were a mess but didn't take long to get used to.
Old 04-23-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Same here. I never got into potions, traps, daggers, or even offensive magic much. I'd buff myself with potions and spells before tough fights, but that was pretty much it. Rolling around like a madman, while getting in the occasional attack, was my key to tough encounters

I remember both games seeming extremely tough in the beginning. I can see how it could become disheartening to players and make them doubt their gameplay approach.
Old 04-23-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brainee
Same here. I never got into potions, traps, daggers, or even offensive magic much. I'd buff myself with potions and spells before tough fights, but that was pretty much it. Rolling around like a madman, while getting in the occasional attack, was my key to tough encounters
And if you read the books, that's pretty much how Geralt fights. Lots of dodging and rolling and only striking when he sees an opening. And the potions are always taken before or after an encounter.
Old 04-23-15, 05:59 PM
Banned by request

The game is based on a series of books? Or there are books based on the game?
Old 04-23-15, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The game is based on a series of books? Or there are books based on the game?
The games are based on a series of books that were published in the early 90s, written by Andrzej Sapkowski.

Think of the games as sort of fan fiction sequels to the book series.
Old 04-23-15, 06:41 PM
Banned by request

Huh, are the books any good?
Old 04-23-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They have their dedicated following, as most fantasy series do. What I've read isn't bad.
Old 04-23-15, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like them but they take some getting used to, due to the peculiar style of the author. Instead of prose descriptions, a lot of scenes happen in the form of dialogue. For instance, here's a scene from the third book, Blood of Elves.

"Once more, Ciri. We'll go through it slowly so that you can master each move. Now, I'm attacking you with tierce, taking the position as if to thrust... Why are you retreating?"
"Because I know it's a feint! You can move into a wide sinistra or strike with upper quarte. And I'll retreat and parry with a counterfeint!"
"Is that so? And if I do this?"
"Auuu! It was supposed to be slow! What did I do wrong, Coën?"
"Nothing. I'm just taller and stronger than you are."
"That's not fair!"
"There's no such thing as a fair fight. You have to make use of every advantage and every opportunity that you get. By retreating you gave me the opportunity to put more force into the strike. Instead of retreating you should have executed a half-pirouette to the left and tried to cut at me from below with quarte dextra, under the chin, in the cheek or throat."
"As if you'd let me! You'll do a reverse pirouette and get my neck from the left before I can parry! How am I meant to know what you're doing?"
"You have to know. And you do know."
"Oh sure!"
"Ciri, what we're doing is fighting. I'm your opponent. I want to and have to defeat you because my life is at stake. I'm taller and stronger than you so I'm going to watch for opportunities to strike in order to avoid or break your parry -- as you've just see. What could be simpler than to strike with a seconde, under the arm, on the inside? If I slash your artery, you'll be dead in a couple of minutes. Defend yourself!"
"Haaaa!"
"Very good. A beautiful, quick parry. See how exercising your wrist has come in useful? And now pay attention -- a lot of fencers make the mistake of executing a standing parry and freeze for a second, and that's just when you can catch them out, strike -- like so!"
"Haa!"
"Beautiful! Now jump away, jump away immediately, pirouette! I could have a dagger in my left hand! Good! Very good! And now, Ciri? What am I going to do now?"
"How am I to know?"
"Watch my feet! How is my body weight distributed? What can I do from this position?"
"Anything!"
"So spin, spin, force me to open up! Defend yourself! Good! And again! Good! And again!"
"Owwww!"
"Not so good."
"Uff... What did I do wrong?"
"Nothing. I'm just faster. Take your guards off. We'll sit for a moment, take a break. You must be tired, you've been running the Trail all morning."
"I'm not tired. I'm hungry."
"Bloody hell, so am I. And today's Lambert's turn and he can't cook anything other than noodles... If he could only cook those properly..."
"Coën?"
"Aha?"
"I'm still not fast enough--"
"You're very fast."
"Will I ever be as fast as you?"
"I doubt it."
"Hmm... And are you--? Who's the best fencer in the world?"
"I've no idea."
"You've never known one?"
"I've known many who believed themselves to be the best."
"Oh! What were they? What were their names? What could they do?"
"Hold on, hold on, girl. I haven't got an answer to those questions. Is it all that important?"
"Of course it's important! I'd like to know who these fencers are. And where they are."
"Where they are? I know that."
"Ah! So where?"
"In cemeteries."
Of course he does often narrate in a more traditional style and that is an example of a larger sequence where he employs a purely dialogue driven technique. However, I bring it up because the first time Sapkowski jumps from traditional narration to pure dialogue action, it's a bit jarring. But you quickly get used to it.

I recommend starting with the two short stories collections, The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny (the latter will have its first ever English translation released next month). They'll give you a feel for the world and the characters, as well as establish the characters that become important in the five full length novels that form The Witcher Saga.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-24-15 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-23-15, 11:49 PM
Banned by request

I wasn't sure if that was a fight or a fuck.
Old 04-24-15, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wasn't sure if that was a fight or a fuck.

It was sword training. Ciri is a minor and the other Witchers don't seem to view her as anything other than a potential Witcher.
Spoiler:
Earlier, there's an amusing moment when a sorceress, Triss Merigold, has to inform them that the girl just had her first flow and that her training schedule would have to be adjusted to accommodate her time of the month. It was rather amusing having these tough guys get all weirded out by having to deal with womanly issues.
Old 04-24-15, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the game is based on the world of the books but dont follow the plot of the book series (outside the opening cinematic of Witcher 1 which was one of the short stories in Last Wish i think). If you want to see some goofy shit there is a Polish TV show out there based on the Witcher.
Old 04-24-15, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
Yeah the game is based on the world of the books but dont follow the plot of the book series (outside the opening cinematic of Witcher 1 which was one of the short stories in Last Wish i think). If you want to see some goofy shit there is a Polish TV show out there based on the Witcher.
Yeah, the opening cinematic is based on the very first short story Sapkowski wrote about Geralt. It's appropriately called The Witcher and the full story is included in the bonus materials of the first game, as well as being included in The Last Wish.

The games do reference the events of the books
Spoiler:
(for instance, Saskia is the daughter of Borch Three Jackdaws, a golden dragon in human form that Geralt met in the story The Limits of Possibility found in Sword of Destiny)
but sidestep them by giving Geralt amnesia. That trope is used so as to allow players the option to make decisions that would contradict the behavior of Geralt in the books.

I wouldn't recommend the Polish TV series at all. They got so many things wrong. Heck, when asked his thoughts about the TV series, Andrzej Sapkowski's response was "I can answer only with a single word, an obscene, albeit a short one." And I don't blame him one bit.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-24-15 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-28-15, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Does anyone know if they've made changes from the last game to this one?

While Witcher 2 was an alright game, it honestly left me a little bored. Between all the item management, constant navigation of multiple menus and somewhat tedious gameplay (they tried to mix up the combat to keep it interesting, but instead, they made it far too convoluted to be any fun) it really kept me at an arm's length. I know I sound like I want the game "dumbed down", but I really just want it more streamlined so I don't have to break immersion by the constant and relentless item/menu management.
This guy uploaded a good amount of footage. Part 1 didn't have any inventory gameplay but part 2 it looked like it had some

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/No4kOH_X7cM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-28-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like how they've labeled the difficulty settings.

Old 04-28-15, 07:38 PM
gamer for life

I can not wait till Death march!
Old 04-28-15, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I want "story & sword", but no menus...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.