Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mortal Kombat X

Old 04-12-15, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Mortal Kombat X

I think I can wait for when this gets cheap, and has a "Komplete" edition with all the DLC included.
Old 04-12-15, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I think I can wait for when this gets cheap, and has a "Komplete" edition with all the DLC included.
Ditto. I just picked up the last game for $5 on Steam and, although I really wanna play MKX, MK9 will keep me entertained until the new one has a special edition that goes on sale.
Old 04-12-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I think you save $5 on the season pass at Best Buy.
Thing is since they advertise that, I'm hoping hey can't refuse to price match Target's deal which is identical in wording except it says "Save $20 on the Season Pass with purchase" and the Best Buy ad says "Save $5 on the Season Pass with purchase". Not saying they have to honor Target's deal, but it's harder to say their Price Matching policy doesn't apply, especially in this case since I have to go to the store to pick up my already-purchased preorder on Tuesday and I probably won't have to deal with their "You're paying less for the game with GCU" arguement
Old 04-13-15, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I'm going to wait as well. I only made it an hour or so in the 360 version of the last game and got busy playing other things. I think now if the perfect time to revisit it.
Old 04-13-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After watching footage of the story mode online, it's a missed opportunity that they did not create a movie mode (with new action sequences created to replace the gameplay moments) that would unlock after you beat story mode. This is the Mortal Kombat movie that I would watch over and over.

Of course, I'll definitely play the heck out of it over and over as well. However, this is definitely the MK movie I always wanted.
Old 04-14-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
After watching footage of the story mode online, it's a missed opportunity that they did not create a movie mode (with new action sequences created to replace the gameplay moments) that would unlock after you beat story mode. This is the Mortal Kombat movie that I would watch over and over.
I've been playing through the story all morning and the cinematics are great. Every once in a while they throw in an easy QTE to keep you involved. It's very entertaining... and fantastically gory.

I think I'm up to Chapter 6 and I'm really, really liking it so far.
Old 04-14-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 19K
I've been playing through the story all morning and the cinematics are great. Every once in a while they throw in an easy QTE to keep you involved. It's very entertaining... and fantastically gory.
Yeah, a few people already uploaded the whole thing online. It's really a top notch production.

The Soul Calibur and Street Fighter franchises would benefit from such an approach to the game story.
Old 04-14-15, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Thing is since they advertise that, I'm hoping hey can't refuse to price match Target's deal which is identical in wording except it says "Save $20 on the Season Pass with purchase" and the Best Buy ad says "Save $5 on the Season Pass with purchase". Not saying they have to honor Target's deal, but it's harder to say their Price Matching policy doesn't apply, especially in this case since I have to go to the store to pick up my already-purchased preorder on Tuesday and I probably won't have to deal with their "You're paying less for the game with GCU" arguement
So here's what happened : I went to Best Buy over lunch hour armed with my Target ad insert. I had preordered it online with in-store pick-up. When I picked it up it didn't prompt the girl to offer me the Season Pass at even the $5 discount. She offered to let me return and re-buy but of course I declined because that would have voided the $10 RZ certiciate on the back end. She got a manager over to help and he couldn't have been nicer. He read over the Best Buy ad and the Target one. He said absolutely he'd price match the Target offer, but when he tried, he couldn't find the item and there were no dedicated MKX Season Pass cards to discount to $10. He said he'd like to do come up with another solution that would give me the same discount. I asked him if he could sell me the 3 X $10 PSN credit packet for $10 for the identical $20 discount which would then allow me to buy the Season Pass for $10 out of my pocket. He happily agreed and rang it up. Now I can buy the Season Pass any time....or not, I suppose.
Old 04-14-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This thing is gonna be a micro transaction factory. There's like a dozen finished characters not on the roster that are in the story mode alone.
Old 04-14-15, 06:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

i used to play these games. had Soul Caliber i Dreamcast, i believe. bought the 360 Mortal Kombat but haven't played yet. this looks so good, but i just suck at these fighting games and could never memorize how to do fatalities and babalities and what not...
Old 04-14-15, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i used to play these games. had Soul Caliber i Dreamcast, i believe. bought the 360 Mortal Kombat but haven't played yet. this looks so good, but i just suck at these fighting games and could never memorize how to do fatalities and babalities and what not...
I suck at these games too. The good thing is you can pause it at any time and it shows you all your characters moves and required button presses. Needless to say, I pause it alot.
Old 04-14-15, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Apparently with this one, you can purchase tokens for "Easy" Fatalities...

Micro-Tits to the Extreme!
Old 04-14-15, 07:10 PM

Yeah, small or large bags (5 for $1/ 30 for $5), yes it's phenomenally stupid but it's not like that's in any way hindering your enjoyment of the game or making progress harder if you don't "pay to win".

If you're upset about micro-transactions for cosmetic things in a new fighting game, you clearly haven't been paying attention
Old 04-14-15, 07:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by 19K
I suck at these games too. The good thing is you can pause it at any time and it shows you all your characters moves and required button presses. Needless to say, I pause it alot.
Doesn't that take away from the enjoyment?
Old 04-14-15, 09:00 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 19K
For the life of me, I can't figure out what button pauses it to show the moves. I'm using a PS4. Help an old man out?
Old 04-14-15, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Think this game is a lot of fun so far. Story mode is just as good as last time and kudos to Netherealms for upping the anti with MK9, MKX and Injustice. I really miss being able to unlock stuff in The Krypt though. That was my favorite part of MK5 and up. Guess it's expendable now that most hidden characters and new costumes are DLC and not on the disk.
Old 04-14-15, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

This article leads me to believe that the DLC is just locked on the physical disc.... Which I think sucks.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mor.../1100-6426562/
Old 04-14-15, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
For the life of me, I can't figure out what button pauses it to show the moves. I'm using a PS4. Help an old man out?
Just press start/options.

Originally Posted by robin2099
I really miss being able to unlock stuff in The Krypt though.
You can.
Old 04-14-15, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
This article leads me to believe that the DLC is just locked on the physical disc.... Which I think sucks.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mor.../1100-6426562/
Not at all. They don't say that. I think much more likely is that you'll be forced to DL a Compatibility Pack with every released character so that you can still play online (like they did with every DLC release in Borderlands 2) and with that pack, you'll be able to try out the bonus characters on select occasions.
Old 04-15-15, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Doesn't that take away from the enjoyment?
Nope. In fact, quite opposite. When I don't know the moves, all I end up doing is punching and kicking which is weak and boring. When you pause it (just push Options on PS4), it shows you every possible move your character can do (kombos, special moves, fatalities, brutalities, etc, etc). Those are much more satisfying and fun to watch when you pull them off. Plus they do WAY more damage than just a punch and kick. It's ridiculous how many moves there are, there's no way I'd be able to memorize them all.

And just to clarify, I'm not pausing it after every move. Usually just once or twice per round so I can get an idea of what buttons/directions I should be focusing on (a lot of the combinations are the same across all the characters i.e down, left, X is a pretty standard move), but sometimes they tweak it so you need to push O instead of X when you switch to a different character.

I've only been playing story mode so far, and as it progresses your constantly playing as different characters. You almost have to pause it to see what each new character can do.
Old 04-15-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

So how is the game overall? I mean, does it get boring after a while? Is it strictly for fight game junkies? lastly, are the button combos insanely long?

Why I ask:

I love Mortal Kombat, I really do but fight games in general as well as racing games, always seem to be lacking something extra and usually when they do try adding more (in this case, the story) it's usually just lazily done - although that doesn't sound like the case here as people seem to really like that part of it.

If nobody wants to answer my questions cool - but thought I'd just ask.
Old 04-15-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't see any Mortal Kombat fan being disappointed with this one.
I LOVE it so far, but haven't played it enough to answer your concern about it getting boring after a while and I haven't even touched the story mode yet.
The graphics (especially the backgrounds) are particularly impressive.
It is such a great time to be a gamer.
Old 04-15-15, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
So how is the game overall? I mean, does it get boring after a while? Is it strictly for fight game junkies? lastly, are the button combos insanely long?

Why I ask:

I love Mortal Kombat, I really do but fight games in general as well as racing games, always seem to be lacking something extra and usually when they do try adding more (in this case, the story) it's usually just lazily done - although that doesn't sound like the case here as people seem to really like that part of it.

If nobody wants to answer my questions cool - but thought I'd just ask.
Did you like the story mode in the last Mortal Kombat or Injustice? IMO, those and this are the only great implementations of single player mode in a fighter since the Tobal No 2 / Bushido Blade days.
Old 04-15-15, 10:06 PM
Banned

I ended up getting the full dlc for 90 on the Xbox one. Aren't I supposed to have Jason voorhees and predator? All I showing in 2 player game is Goro. I thought I was supposed to ever 2 or 3 extra characters

Don't have to unlock them the tombs?

Last edited by Sgtsnake; 04-15-15 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-15-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jason and Predator haven't been released yet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.