Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Far Cry 4 -- November 18, 2014 - PC, PS3, 360, PS4, Xbox One

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 11:53 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Far Cry 4 -- November 18, 2014 - PC, PS3, 360, PS4, Xbox One

Originally Posted by slop101
Finding the specific ones I needed was a real chore.
I am not finding it as hard to hunt this time...the hunting itself is the same, it is just all the animals you need are very easy to find.
Old 11-20-14, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why it's called "hunting" rather than "slaughterhousing."
Old 11-20-14, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,285 Likes on 4,298 Posts

Did anyone keep the default driving controls (using the left stick for throttle, brake and steering)? I hated them but found the "Classic" far more preferable
Old 11-20-14, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
The driving controls can be changed in the options menu. Seriously, do people not go through the options when they start a new game? It's usually the first thing I do.

No its not, because i actually expect the developers to get something like this right for the majority of players right off the bat. There are many driving games which use the R and L buttons for accelerating and decelerating, not many i can think of where you just move the stick forward. Its awkward and makes driving less enjoyable. I am thankful that they added the option in to change, but surprised at the default they went with.

And most people are like myself, they play the game first. Better that way as you can see how the game handles in default and then make any necessary adjustments in the options allow it. Not saying anything wrong with going straight to the options, just don't think many do it right away.

Not had much time to play the game since picking it up, but put in another hours worth last night. Took over a couple more towers, and a base. I am tending to take missions at this moment with the Bow and Arrows. First camp i took over i use the binocs to check on the guards, killed one of em with the bow. The other guards found his body and started investigating, meanwhile i snuck round to an enclosed Elephant and shot the lock off its cage. Did not have to kill a single guard after that. Just sat back watched the show from atop. Realized quickly though that the animals can be way too fast for the bow and arrow (the dogs in packs) so guns are certainly needed.

I am also liking the dynamic of climbing and swinging on ropes. Makes it fun to have alternative routes to take that allow more creative options of attack.

Just like part 3 i think that getting animals skins and building up your wallet, holster etc. is important to do early on. Gonna spend some time doing that as it will make things easier and much more enjoyable.

Really enjoying this game though and sure its gonna be a blast all the way through.

Last edited by james2025a; 11-20-14 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-20-14, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Changed the driving controls & it's 250x better. The bow is m favorite too, and I've got the better one all upgraded I think (makes a big difference).

I cannot stop playing this game. Yeah, crafting up stuff is important, but it's awesome fun to do it, not a chore, so I'm spending time just going around, hunting, and experiencing all the stuff that happens in between. I'm in no hurry at all to move along the main story missions (though those are good too). I know I'll be adding the season pass--just can't get enough.

Found a mounted gun on the bank of a river (seems normal), and then I saw a rhino across on the other side. Finally got my first rhino. I do hate those packs of wild dogs, and honey badgers (of course) are SUPER tough to take down.
Old 11-20-14, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Yeah, it can be a bit of the pain but once you have their locations show up on the map then it hasn't been too hard to find the animals I need. It seems they spread the animals out on the map to try and ensure that we are always somewhat handicapped during the early parts of the game.
Old 11-20-14, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Both me and kanji unlocked the co-op but stayed with the campaign. She got the Elephant and played with the Hovercraft. I took off with the glider and flew the Gyrocopter. About anything in this game can happen. I did a Intel Mission where I got shot with arrows from some Special Hunters, attacked by wolves, bitten by a snake, jumped on by a Leopard and pecked on by a large Eagle all in about 5 minutes. You cannot even stand still for 2 minutes because either wildlife or enemies come around.
Old 11-21-14, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

A couple more hours on it last night. I have decided to hold off on the main missions to build up my armory, skills and crafting. Had fun trying to take on a Rhino with the bow. It was knocking the hell out of me. Then a female resistance fighter turns up in a car to help. I run behind the car and the rhino levels her and tosses the car around. Kept using trees for cover, but damn it was fun.

I am really liking a lot of the unscripted moments in this game. The fire and explosion effects are also very nicely done.

Part of me actually misses the gun jams from the second game. It added an extra aspect to the game. I can totally understand that it pissed a lot of people off, but it added to the hecticness of being in the middle of a gun battle when your gun jams. Loving the game all the same.
Old 11-21-14, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by james2025a
A couple more hours on it last night. I have decided to hold off on the main missions to build up my armory, skills and crafting. Had fun trying to take on a Rhino with the bow. It was knocking the hell out of me. Then a female resistance fighter turns up in a car to help. I run behind the car and the rhino levels her and tosses the car around. Kept using trees for cover, but damn it was fun.

I am really liking a lot of the unscripted moments in this game. The fire and explosion effects are also very nicely done.
This by far is the appeal of the game. I haven't seen this much sheer randomness, un-scripted and unpredictable fun in a long, long time. I did one of those "grab the two bags at two locations and deliver them"...took me nearly eight times because each time something different happened when I drove down the road....shootouts, animals, chased, blockade, rammed off the road, skirmish popped up....I do like the fact you can engage the "Autodrive" and shoot in front and behind...that is cool.

And I'm not sure what's better...riding the Elephant kicking vehicles over and tossing the enemies in the air or flying the Gyrocopter and tossing bait down and then Molotov cocktails burning everything.
Old 11-21-14, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The co-op is great for collectibles, taking down bases and hunting. Both players get credit for collectibles, items and money collected during gameplay. However, only the host actually gets the bell towers unlocked on their map and you can't play any story missions. We had a ton of fun playing this last night and look forward to some co-op yak hunting this evening.
Old 11-21-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
The co-op is great for collectibles, taking down bases and hunting. Both players get credit for collectibles, items and money collected during gameplay. However, only the host actually gets the bell towers unlocked on their map and you can't play any story missions. We had a ton of fun playing this last night and look forward to some co-op yak hunting this evening.
I've got the co-op part unlocked and I think we're going to try it tonight. I'm just trying to work on the campaign and leave the other stuff like the bases for co-op. I had to unlock one last night and jeeze there were a bunch so I called in help. I had a truck I hijacked so I went there.

I have yet find a listing of just hat the "story missions" are though. I've searched for a walkthrough so I can see and get an idea of where they all are. That's one thing so far that really hasn't been clear enough to me. Where is the next mission. And on the Bell Towers...I'm going ahead and working on them if I happen to be in the area. That Gyrocopter is a life-saver in getting places in a hurry.
Old 11-21-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I've got the co-op part unlocked and I think we're going to try it tonight. I'm just trying to work on the campaign and leave the other stuff like the bases for co-op. I had to unlock one last night and jeeze there were a bunch so I called in help. I had a truck I hijacked so I went there.

I have yet find a listing of just hat the "story missions" are though. I've searched for a walkthrough so I can see and get an idea of where they all are. That's one thing so far that really hasn't been clear enough to me. Where is the next mission. And on the Bell Towers...I'm going ahead and working on them if I happen to be in the area. That Gyrocopter is a life-saver in getting places in a hurry.
The story missions are indicated by letters on the map. Those disappear when you go into co-op. I wish they gave us the option to do some of the story missions in co-op or allowed us to co-op on a harder difficulty after having bother players beat the campaign once.
Old 11-22-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 408 Likes on 308 Posts

Man, the loading time in this game is the worst I've ever seen. I've been staring at a loading screen for four and a half minutes. Not even joking.

EDIT: just got an error about cannot connect to the gaming server. I always play offline, so that's good to know.
Old 11-22-14, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finally was able to connect to an online game. Quite possibly some of the worst MP I have ever experienced in a video game. Can't believe they wasted resources implementing this garbage. Then, they force me to play all 3 modes for an achievement!

Oh well, at least they were very generous with all of the other achievements, and I'm almost 100% already
Old 11-22-14, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,285 Likes on 4,298 Posts

If they're generous with the Achievements, ey sure aren't at the beginning. I've played for 2-3 hrs and have popped only one so far!
Old 11-23-14, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, it takes a while to get story related ones. For all the side quest and collectible ones, you only need a few of each as opposed to 100% of them. The only thing you need to 100% is your skills and liberating outposts/towers, which is fun anyways.
Old 11-23-14, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone know when playing co-op do the collectables count to both players like the Masks & Spin-the-wheel. In other words say one picks up the Masks while another is looking around...will both get credit? And on hunting say the Rhinos....will one or both get the skin?

I like Destiny but this game is far more fun, just wish they could've made some of the campaign stuff two-player. I got to visit Shangri-la...that was a sight to see and did the Lost and Found Mission from Yogi and Reggie....a 60's Trip if you ever saw one...that's all I'm saying.

I've been using the Gyrocopter to get to Bell Towers and it's really amazing to see just how huge Kyrat is...and still haven't opened up the Northern-Eastern part. I'm flying around and you can just see stuff happening all over the place. I found a good supply of Grenades, Cocktails and a Grenade Launcher are perfect fit when flying. Just driving down the road stuff just happens and not a bore. In Destiny you start to know the spawn points and even where the AI will be and move...not a chance in this game.
Old 11-23-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

I haven't touched the multi-player (seems like that's where the complaints are), but I'm a couple hours into the campaign and I love it! I'm digging it way more than FC3; the story/characters, setting/environments, mechanics, gameplay and obviously the graphics are all way better. Can't wait to dig my teeth into it more. It's more like an Elder Scrolls first-person-shooter than then other Fry Crys have ever been.
Old 11-23-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone know when playing co-op do the collectables count to both players like the Masks & Spin-the-wheel. In other words say one picks up the Masks while another is looking around...will both get credit? And on hunting say the Rhinos....will one or both get the skin?

I like Destiny but this game is far more fun, just wish they could've made some of the campaign stuff two-player. I got to visit Shangri-la...that was a sight to see and did the Lost and Found Mission from Yogi and Reggie....a 60's Trip if you ever saw one...that's all I'm saying.

I've been using the Gyrocopter to get to Bell Towers and it's really amazing to see just how huge Kyrat is...and still haven't opened up the Northern-Eastern part. I'm flying around and you can just see stuff happening all over the place. I found a good supply of Grenades, Cocktails and a Grenade Launcher are perfect fit when flying. Just driving down the road stuff just happens and not a bore. In Destiny you start to know the spawn points and even where the AI will be and move...not a chance in this game.
Actually, they do not. Only the hosts actually gets them counted towards their stats but both players get XP and Karma from various things collected throughout. The outposts, fortresses, assassinations and rescue missions only count for the host as well. It basically means that you will be doubling up on XP with your co-op partner as you will have to switch who is host from time to time and repeat collecting, killing and whatever else you have already done. I don't see why they couldn't at least make the collectibles, outposts, towers, fortresses, etc. carry over between the two gamers' profiles.
Old 11-23-14, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone been able to get the keys to Kyrat to work? I sent one to a friend, he got it, DL the demo as told and no matter what we do he gets an error "Unable To Join". I sent an invite for him to join and he's tried to join on his end and it just doesn't work. I'm seeing the spinning loading wheel in the upper left corner forever so I don't know what else to do.
Old 11-23-14, 11:13 PM
gamer for life

Has anyone been able to get the keys to Kyrat to work? I sent one to a friend, he got it, DL the demo as told and no matter what we do he gets an error "Unable To Join". I sent an invite for him to join and he's tried to join on his end and it just doesn't work. I'm seeing the spinning loading wheel in the upper left corner forever so I don't know what else to do.
no we could not get it to work..and I can't even join a random coop game. I was able to join a friend who had the game..
Old 11-24-14, 12:10 PM
gamer for life

Buzzsaw signature weapon...best gun in the game.

LMG with crazy damage, range stability and large clip.

Heavy's drop in about 4 quick bullets...helicopters can be destroyed easily, no need for rpg/grenade launcher...

Last edited by foxdvd; 11-24-14 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-24-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is a breakdown of the new Patch 1.02...

PlayStation 4 & PlayStation 3
•Fixed some random crashes on all game modes.
•Fixed host migration edge random & case issues
•Fixed custom match stability issues
•Fixed join-in-progress edge case issues
•Fixed progression page issues in Story missions
•Fixed functionality issues in the shop menu
•Fixed several localization issues (cut-off text, subtitles)
•Fixed various low repro walkthrough breaks
•Fixed host migration random issues specific to coop
•Fixed minor gameplay functionality issues
•Fixed aiming issues with the machine gun weapon
•Fixed minor and low repro QTE issue with specific animals
•Fixed Map Browser issues
•Fixed occlusion and navmesh issues
•Fixed some missing audio in radio calls

PS4 Only
•Co-op will no longer cause users to hang on the main menu and with the second player unable to progress to the lobby.
Old 11-25-14, 12:12 AM
gamer for life

Here is a breakdown of the new Patch 1.02...

PS4 Only
•Co-op will no longer cause users to hang on the main menu and with the second player unable to progress to the lobby.
I call bullshit on this one. I still can't join a random coop game, and about 1 in 3 times i try my game hangs up and freezes and I am unable to progress to the lobby and have to close the game...
Old 11-25-14, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Buzzsaw signature weapon...best gun in the game.

LMG with crazy damage, range stability and large clip.

Heavy's drop in about 4 quick bullets...helicopters can be destroyed easily, no need for rpg/grenade launcher...
I can't wait to get it. Just 11 towers to go...
Been spending lots of time hunting/upgrading. Plus this game is a lot like GTA, just so many distractions wherever you go that draw you in on your way to doing whatever it is you intended to do. Had great fun last night taking out my second convoy (C4+exploding arrows+3 trucks=good times).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.