Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anybody here play Clash of Clans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anybody here play Clash of Clans?

Matty,

Your problem is you are upgrading your TH too quickly. You shouldn't even think about going to the next TH until you max out all of your defenses.
Old 09-17-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, i went to town hall 9 and regretted it.
The higher you make town hall, the lower the percentage of loot you get on raids. Try to upgrade all of you defenses before going any further.
I've been playing since May and I haven't spent a penny either, but I've been in clans where the kids all spend $$ and try to get you to too...it blows my mind.
Old 09-17-14, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well shit, I guess I'll just focus on maxing out all my defenses then. Thanks.

I still haven't touched any of the clan stuff yet. Is it worth checking out? I get invites all of the time, but I figured you have to be a pretty involved player or the people in your clan would get pissed off.
Old 09-17-14, 08:54 AM

Clan Wars are a blast, especially if you in a clan with friends. You as an underpowered TH9 would drag down your clan though in a war. You need to work towards 5 builders and spend all your time keeping your troop research going and max out your defenses.

And yes, it is crazy how much people spend on this game. Supercell makes millions a day on people spending money on CoC. There is a guy in my clan that spent over a $1000 so far. All it does is hurt you as you need to slowly progress in the game to really understand it. If you spend all the way to TH 9 or 10, then you are missing out on a lot.

FYI for those that stopped playing. Supercell continues to update the game and add new troops, spells, etc and rumor has it that there is a TH 11 coming in Nov or Dec. They just release a new dark troop yesterday Lava Hound. I love this game.
Old 09-17-14, 08:59 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone try Boom Beach? That is by supercell as well right? very similar to clash of clans?
Old 09-17-14, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I completely forgot I started this thread!

Since posting last time, I had to stop my clan from doing wars for a while. We were starting to lose every time, participation was definitely starting to slack, and those who were participating weren't doing very good attacks. I told everyone we were going to regroup, work on our villages and attack strategies, and if they wanted to war more often, they would probably need to join another clan, no hard feelings. A lot of people did leave, and after a while I opened the clan back up to anyone can join and lowered the trophy requirement. A lot more people have joined, and naturally we weeded out the bad ones and kept a lot of good ones, and we're doing wars again now, but just one every weekend.

It actually wasn't even my intention to start the wars again when we did, but one of my very few co-leaders apparently wanted to start one without my consent, and I demoted him to elder. He came in eventually and said it was an accident, but I didn't buy that, since there are too many steps required to start a war, and the clan search can be cancelled immediately after you start it, if it actually was an accident.

But, we won that war, by a wide enough margin that I decided to go ahead and have one war per weekend to test and see how everyone performs and participates.

One theory presented to me about why we were starting to lose so much last time is that we had too many high level people in our clan, and we were getting matched up with clans that were too much for us. I don't know that that's necessarily true, but it was an interesting thought. Anyway, we're 18-5-1, so I guess I can't complain too much.
Old 09-17-14, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by wlj
Anyone try Boom Beach? That is by supercell as well right? very similar to clash of clans?
I play boom beach, it is less social but I like it. You have to scheme a little more on attacks and you can control where they attack to some extent. Im at the point now where upgrading is taking days, so I check in a couple times a day, and make sure my builder is working...you only have a single builder though, so it takes even longer to upgrade everything.
Old 09-17-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My clan just won our 50th war. And man, I should've focused on defenses rather than walls. I keep getting hit with nothing but hogs and dragons every time. Luckily I stopped with purple walls.
Old 09-17-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Same here. Upgraded my TH so I could start doing level 6 troops, but I've been getting spanked on defense left and right. I'm still working on maxing out my weaponry before I even think about going past the purple walls.
Old 09-17-14, 10:46 AM

TH 8-9 dark crystal good enough. Mid- high level attacks on clan war are typically hogs and/or dragons so need to max air defense and splash damage defense plus put bombs near guns.

Will be interested to see how lava hounds change attacks.
Old 09-17-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Lava Hounds are a real game changer if they work as described.
Old 09-17-14, 03:52 PM

Those of you having issues losing so much loot, put your TH outside your base. There will be plenty of trophy hunters that come through that only take your TH. The downside is you will lose some trophies (typically not a huge deal) but the upside is you get a 12 hour shield. That way you will only lose a little bit of loot and be protected from the next guy that would come in and wipe you out. I personally don't put bombs and teslas around the base. The reason is I want them to take my TH for the shield and if they trip my bombs, then I have to pay to re-arm them. Some do place bombs and teslas around TH outside base with the thought that they will waste a bunch of troops taking TH so they too weak to attack the rest of your base. My experience is though that if they want your loot, they skip TH so I would rather have my bombs and teslas defending my main base with all the loot.

My 2 cents.
Old 09-18-14, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ketamine
Those of you having issues losing so much loot, put your TH outside your base. There will be plenty of trophy hunters that come through that only take your TH. The downside is you will lose some trophies (typically not a huge deal) but the upside is you get a 12 hour shield. That way you will only lose a little bit of loot and be protected from the next guy that would come in and wipe you out. I personally don't put bombs and teslas around the base. The reason is I want them to take my TH for the shield and if they trip my bombs, then I have to pay to re-arm them. Some do place bombs and teslas around TH outside base with the thought that they will waste a bunch of troops taking TH so they too weak to attack the rest of your base. My experience is though that if they want your loot, they skip TH so I would rather have my bombs and teslas defending my main base with all the loot.

My 2 cents.
Yeah, that's the typical farming base model. The thing you have to be careful of though is people like me.......I see plenty of guys past TH7 doing this who have farm bases with elixir / gold mines outside their walls. I have no problem at all launching 218 goblins to raid resources then leave two barbarians in the corner to take out the base for the star.
Old 09-18-14, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Yeah, that's the typical farming base model. The thing you have to be careful of though is people like me.......I see plenty of guys past TH7 doing this who have farm bases with elixir / gold mines outside their walls. I have no problem at all launching 218 goblins to raid resources then leave two barbarians in the corner to take out the base for the star.
That's fine though. I want you to get that star by taking my town hall so I can get a shield. Your goblins will get some of my resourses, but not enough that I care. What I dont want is those guys that crash my walls, get into my dark elixer for 1000+ and then only get 39% of my base and avoid my town hall so I get no shield. I want you to give me a shield and only take from the collectors I have on the outside. That is a win for me in my book. Go ahead and take your trophies, some reasources, and your "win" bonus. I will trade that for a shield any day.
Old 09-18-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's fine though. I want you to get that star by taking my town hall so I can get a shield. Your goblins will get some of my resourses, but not enough that I care. What I dont want is those guys that crash my walls, get into my dark elixer for 1000+ and then only get 39% of my base and avoid my town hall so I get no shield. I want you to give me a shield and only take from the collectors I have on the outside. That is a win for me in my book. Go ahead and take your trophies, some reasources, and your "win" bonus. I will trade that for a shield any day.
Oh definitely. I only hit guys who have at least 150K gold / 150K elixir hanging outside their base. And yeah, once you get past TH7 dark elixir is the real prize. For awhile there my farm base kept getting all these attacks of giants / bombers and goblins cause I positioned my dark elixir so poorly. Had I known better my king would probably be level 10 by now.
Old 09-18-14, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I have my TH outside my walls too. That seems to be working about half of the time.
Old 09-19-14, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

This is what I'm going with right now:

For size
Spoiler:

I know it's counter-intuitive to have all my bombs and two Teslas around my TH when I want it to be destroyed anyway so I get a shield, but there's something so satisfying about seeing someone have to use all their troops just to do it, lol!

When I have that much loot I do run into people at higher levels than me coming in and decimating me, which sucks. I guess I could try to lose those trophies to get moved to a lower league if I really wanted.
Old 09-19-14, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What I dont want is those guys that crash my walls, get into my dark elixer for 1000+ and then only get 39% of my base and avoid my town hall so I get no shield.
That was exactly my problem, except I was getting the full hit on me. I had so many resources and nothing to use them on because all my builders were busy that it didn't matter my TH was on the outside. I was consistently getting clobbered for about 300K of each resource, and 1400 of my DE...EVERY TIME! Even if they didn't get the full 100% victory and all my gold and elixir, they were always going after that DE. It took me forever to save up 30K so I could upgrade my hogs to level 3.
Old 09-19-14, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by The Infidel
That was exactly my problem, except I was getting the full hit on me. I had so many resources and nothing to use them on because all my builders were busy that it didn't matter my TH was on the outside. I was consistently getting clobbered for about 300K of each resource, and 1400 of my DE...EVERY TIME! Even if they didn't get the full 100% victory and all my gold and elixir, they were always going after that DE. It took me forever to save up 30K so I could upgrade my hogs to level 3.
Which goes back to the idea that you need to max your defenses before going to the next town hall. I can imagine you were getting hit all the time as you had a ton of resources with weak defense. Not much you can do now that the cat is out of the bag except focus your resources to maxing out your defenses and ride shields when you can.
Old 09-19-14, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by JTH182
This is what I'm going with right now:

For size
Spoiler:

I know it's counter-intuitive to have all my bombs and two Teslas around my TH when I want it to be destroyed anyway so I get a shield, but there's something so satisfying about seeing someone have to use all their troops just to do it, lol!

When I have that much loot I do run into people at higher levels than me coming in and decimating me, which sucks. I guess I could try to lose those trophies to get moved to a lower league if I really wanted.
Are most of the attacks against you coming from the North?
Old 09-19-14, 12:00 PM

Mine cone from the west always
Old 09-19-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are most of the attacks against you coming from the North?

They rarely come from the north, which is why I removed my traps. Most come from the west, with others from the south or east.

I wish this game had heat maps of past attacks.
Old 09-20-14, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by JTH182
They rarely come from the north, which is why I removed my traps. Most come from the west, with others from the south or east.

I wish this game had heat maps of past attacks.
Interesting. I think I would attack you from the north, but I guess others see something I don't.
Old 09-20-14, 07:37 AM

Interesting. I think I would attack you from the north, but I guess others see something I don't.
I'm not sure the general population even looks. West and south are close to their thumbs and that is where most of the attacks come from
Old 09-20-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Remember, you're seeing what I see, not the attackers. They could think I have my bombs, traps, and teslas up there. They also tend to come from the west because they see the TH and DE storage as easy targets. You should see how many attacks against me start out slow and then end up using hundreds of barbs, archers, 20 giants, a hero or 2, and 3 spells just to get 7 trophies!

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I'm not sure the general population even looks. West and south are close to their thumbs and that is where most of the attacks come from
Yep, I think there's some sub-conscious thing in this game where people tend to attack from the south way more than north.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.