Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Sunset Overdrive (Oct 28 - Xbox One) - Fizzie's coming to get you, Barbara...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-14, 09:48 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

I figured it was time for a separate thread, because...

OverCharge Delirium XT website

Gameplay screenshots:
Spoiler:

Sunset Overdrive is an open world shooter video game by Insomniac Games for the Xbox One.

Looks like fun! The graphics in those screen shots look a little... basic... but the colours are great.
Old 05-08-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
re: Sunset Overdrive (Oct 28 - Xbox One) - Fizzie's coming to get you, Barbara...

Jet Set Infamous and Clank! I'm in for sure.
Old 05-08-14, 09:58 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

re: Sunset Overdrive (Oct 28 - Xbox One) - Fizzie's coming to get you, Barbara...

The vinyl-shooting gun (hidden for size)
Spoiler:
Old 05-08-14, 10:03 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Love that art style.
Old 05-08-14, 10:12 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, but look at all those jaggies! BARF! Clearly this game is only running at 532.84p. Clearly.
Old 05-08-14, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

First look. Hopefully the article isn't boring.

http://kotaku.com/our-first-real-loo...ive-1573151521

There is a quick, if complicated, way to sum up how Sunset Overdrive plays: I say it's Tony Hawk meets Crackdown 2 meets Ratchet & Clank meets Prince of Persia. That's a nearly incomprehensible combination out of context, but when I floated that list to Sunset Overdrive creative director Marcus Smith, he added another title to it: Platinum Games' Vanquish.P

Sunset Overdrive is in every way an oddity. It's an open-world game about monsters taking over a city that has since been quarantined — a la Raccoon City, except bright and happy — in which you will grind around on everything, as if you were riding a skateboard in a Tony Hawk game, shooting monsters and other varieties of baddies while helping out other survivors of this localized apocalypse.
Old 05-08-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

After All-4-One, Full Frontal Assault and Fuse, I'm rapidly losing faith in Insomniac. Yes, the last R&C game was good (but short), but besides that and the other R&C Future games, I've not seen much that I've enjoyed from them. Even the Resistance trilogy was only okay and very generic.
Old 05-08-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I echo that sentiment on Insomniac. I was never sold on the Resistance trilogy either. I guess I'm cautiously optimistic on this one.
Old 05-08-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, this game actually looks like it might turn out to be good. Love the colorful art style and the animations look incredible. This could be one of the better looking games of this generation so far. However, Insomniac made Fuse, Resistance and a few shitty R&C games...so I'll hold off the hype until I play it for myself

Heres a video until it gets removed:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AznD0PmtNJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-08-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

They compared it to Crackdown 2 instead of Crackdown? Pass.
Old 05-08-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks promising.

I actually get a little bit of an Infamous vibe from the gameplay and character design.
Old 05-08-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

A longer article on Polygon.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/8/5692...nsomniac-games

There are few restrictions on movement in Sunset Overdrive. Your character can wall-run endlessly, even (impossibly) around corners. You can jump-bounce off the roofs of cars, off patio furniture umbrellas, off ventilation units. Physics be damned. Don't worry about falling to your death as you leap around the towers and buildings of Sunset City; you'll simply slip through a portal mid-plummet and be teleported back to safety.

If your character does die, you'll almost instantly respawn with an amusing animation, rising from the concrete in a golden sarcophagus or transported in by flying saucer. Why? How? Who cares, basically. Dying, like everything else in Sunset City, is lighthearted fun, and doesn't warrant explanation.

That freedom from justification is one of Sunset Overdrive's overarching game design mantras: "Fun trumps realism."

Agree with you guys about Insomniac though, nothing of there's has been particularly excellent recently or enticing based on studio name alone. This seems like a fun diversion of a game though.

And a little bit on them about how Fuse sucked.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/8/5684...nsomniac-games

"Fuse was a tough experience," said Ted Price, president and CEO of Insomniac Games. "It really was."

"Fuse helped crystallize who we are as a company," Price said. "It helped me realize that basically what it is that we all love to create. We've taken a lot of different paths as a company, whether it's Resistance or Fuse or some other games that didn't even see the light of day, and always have come back to games that are in the ilk of Sunset Overdrive. It's the colorful, vibrant games with an edge. Games that allow us to express ourselves in a way that's sometimes unusual."
Old 05-08-14, 01:39 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Official gameplay footage.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bMnjoqr5glk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Turn that shit up to 1080p, yo!
Old 05-08-14, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by chess
Looks promising.

I actually get a little bit of an Infamous vibe from the gameplay and character design.
Gameplay I see, but character design? Main character is made via character creation/customization, so the example in the trailers is just that, an example.
Old 05-08-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Official gameplay footage.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bMnjoqr5glk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Turn that shit up to 1080p, yo!
It's an Xbox One game - shouldn't I turn it up to 720p instead?
Old 05-08-14, 02:21 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by M Polo
Gameplay I see, but character design? Main character is made via character creation/customization, so the example in the trailers is just that, an example.
I'm just throwing a guess out there, but I bet the character shown in the footage is the "default" you can use if you just want to get right into the game without customizing.

Originally Posted by Decker

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6Kgs8zpS3F0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-08-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-08-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The weapons seem very Dead Rising-inspired to me, along with the endless hordes of enemies that are easy to wipe out with them.
Old 05-08-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoviePage
The weapons seem very Dead Rising-inspired to me, along with the endless hordes of enemies that are easy to wipe out with them.
That was my impression as well. If it's just as fun as Dead Rising 3, I'm in.
Old 05-08-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 05-08-14, 05:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ I like it. Too bad I'm buying the digital copy (of course).

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/games-s...first-gameplay
Traverse Sunset City in Style with Exclusive Day One Edition Outfits and Weapons

With an exclusive gun, melee weapon and in-game character outfit, the “Sunset Overdrive” Day One Edition is the ultimate package for fans who want to fight through the end of days with flair. The “Sunset Overdrive” Day One Edition features the following exclusive digital content that you won’t find anywhere else:

- “Nothin’ but the Hits” gun: An overcharged version of the High Fidelity gun that launches limited edition, priceless, multi-colored vinyls that do increased damage.
- “It’s Me! Fizzie!” outfit: Fizzie is more popular than you because he has a great marketing budget. So, why not dress up as him and get in on some of that fame?
- “Hardcore! Hammer”: You ponder buying the Day One Edition of “Sunset Overdrive.” A spot check reveals that if you do, you can equip a mighty hammer made from a bat and spiked dumb-bells. You buy the Day One Edition of “Sunset Overdrive.”
Old 05-08-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Old 05-08-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO - they need to add a velocity modifier during running and grinding. Even if it's +1% per 2 seconds, that increase in speed seems important to make it seem fluid and hyperdynamic.
Old 05-08-14, 08:49 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks good so far can't wait to get my hands on it.
Old 05-09-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Good article on why this is an Xbox exclusive: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/...-one-exclusive

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.