Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Assassin's Creed V (Unity? 18th-Century Paris) -- Fall 2014; Two Games Possible

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Assassin's Creed V (Unity? 18th-Century Paris) -- Fall 2014; Two Games Possible

Upscaling is nowhere near the same as native resolution. Also, we should be able to expect more this generation as they basically sold it to you on graphics, resolution and improved fps. To be perfectly honest, we shouldn't have to expect anything less than 1080p during this generation and the fact that it is already happening means that the developers as well as the hardware is being half-assed.
Old 10-06-14, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Assassin's Creed V (Unity? 18th-Century Paris) -- Fall 2014; Two Games Possible

I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I have a life to live. Especially over 180p lines.
Old 10-06-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I have a life to live. Especially over 180p lines.
You won't until you buy it and realize that you actually do miss those 180 lines.
Old 10-06-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
To be perfectly honest, we shouldn't have to expect anything less than 1080p during this generation
I'll never understand where this expectation came from.
Old 10-06-14, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

You won't until you buy it and realize that you actually do miss those 180 lines.

Old 10-06-14, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Fuck, your TV should upscale that 180p difference, you know.
Old 10-06-14, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
especially since I think it's a fairly negligible difference opposed to say 720 vs 1080.
There's a 44% difference in pixel count between 900p and 1080p (1600x900 vs. 1920x1080). The numbers may look fairly close, but they're farther apart than you might think. Diminishing returns and all that factor in too, of course, so you can't exactly say that 1080p would look 44% better. It's not catastrophic, but this whole mess is enough to make me just want to wait for the PC version.
Old 10-06-14, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
There's a 44% difference in pixel count between 900p and 1080p (1600x900 vs. 1920x1080). The numbers may look fairly close, but they're farther apart than you might think. Diminishing returns and all that factor in too, of course, so you can't exactly say that 1080p would look 44% better. It's not catastrophic, but this whole mess is enough to make me just want to wait for the PC version.
Yeah, i'm aware of the difference in pixel count but it doesn't change my opinion and stand by my comment. I've always maintained anyway that i'd take higher resolution textures, lighting, shadows, etc over just pure resolution increases and think its one of those things that most people have to stare at screenshots to really notice.
Old 10-07-14, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

And here's Ubisoft's statement:
We understand how Senior Producer Vincent Pontbriand's quotes have been misinterpreted. To set the record straight, we did not lower the specs for Assassin's Creed Unity to account for any one system over the other.

Assassin's Creed Unity has been engineered from the ground up for next-generation consoles. Over the past 4 years, we have created Assassin's Creed Unity to attain the tremendous level of quality we have now achieved on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. It's a process of building up toward our goals, not scaling down, and we're proud to say that we have reached those goals on all SKUs.11

At no point did we decide to reduce the ambitions of any SKU.
All benefited from the full dedication of all of our available optimization resources to help them reach the level of quality we have today with the core Assassin's Creed Unity experience.

Last edited by stingermck; 10-07-14 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-07-14, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, i'm aware of the difference in pixel count but it doesn't change my opinion and stand by my comment. I've always maintained anyway that i'd take higher resolution textures, lighting, shadows, etc over just pure resolution increases and think its one of those things that most people have to stare at screenshots to really notice.
I do agree with this. It doesn't however change the fact that they "dumbed down" the game for the lowest common denominator. I guess we shouldn't be surprised that this happened, and maybe should of expected it sooner than this.
Old 10-07-14, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
It doesn't however change the fact that they "dumbed down" the game for the lowest common denominator.
This is the major issue here. And if they think this will calm the masses it's actually having the opposite effect and furthering the opinionated console divide.
Old 10-07-14, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They had 4 years to figure out how to get it to 1080p.
Old 10-07-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They had 4 years to figure out how to get it to 1080p.
Frame rate, fidelity, resolution. Pick two.
Old 10-07-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why should we have to pick two? Why can't the developers figure out how to maximize the consoles where we get games at 1080p and running at 60fps? I just don't see why them doing this is such a problem.
Old 10-07-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why should we have to pick two? Why can't the developers figure out how to maximize the consoles where we get games at 1080p and running at 60fps? I just don't see why them doing this is such a problem.
I was simplifying things, since I found your statement to be naive.

A computer (or console) has a finite amount of power, so in order to achieve certain things you have to sacrifice other things. Could a game be more highly optimized? In most cases, yes. Do they have an infinite amount of time to perfectly optimize a game? Of course not. It's just not a realistic expectation.

All of this is ignoring what Ubisoft is doing in this case, which is purposefully crippling one consoles experience to match another.
Old 10-07-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Update: Ubisoft has said there is still a chance that the final specs for Assassin's Creed Unity could go beyond 900p.

"Final specs for Assassin’s Creed Unity aren’t cemented yet, but we can say we showed Assassin’s Creed Unity at 900p during our hands-on preview event last week," a spokesperson for the publisher told GameSpot.

"We’re confident that gamers will be thrilled with the gorgeous graphics and how Paris is brought to life in Assassin’s Creed Unity."
Old 10-07-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unless they deviate from their plan of parity between consoles, something will be sacrificed to achieve that. It may likely just be that the PS4 version could of been "better" in some way(s) than it ultimately is.

That's not to say it won't look fantastic on both systems, just that it could of been better.
Old 10-07-14, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Frame rate, fidelity, resolution. Pick two.
That's dead on...I bet if you set down, watched & played something like AC:Unity with a lot of action going on, 90% out there wouldn't be able tell the difference much less complaining about the resolution. Just like the average person out there wouldn't tell which is 60fps at 900p vs 30fps at 1080p. What I've seen of Unity is far superior than the last one which was better than previous games. They built a completely new engine for this. A few years ago if a Dev said you'll have over a 1000 individual AI's at once in a large area that would be laughed at. We're getting wrapped up way to much on "Specs" than actual play, layout, design, art and style of the games.
Old 10-07-14, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, Ubisoft has to be one of the worst developers going nowadays. Between this sort of stuff, their horrible DRM on the PC side, and them incorporating NVIDIA's extremely shady "GameWorks", I try to avoid them like the plague whenever possible.
Old 10-07-14, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I do agree with this. It doesn't however change the fact that they "dumbed down" the game for the lowest common denominator. I guess we shouldn't be surprised that this happened, and maybe should of expected it sooner than this.
Which brings back my earlier point that this has always happened with multiplatform games. It's funny that only this generation did resolution-gate become such a bigger issue.

Because both of these consoles just aren't that powerful. I know a few of us were less then impressed with the technical specifications when they came out as being comparable to a lower mid-range gaming PC (with the PS4 being a bit better), and that was already a year and a half ago.
Old 10-07-14, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by K&AJones
That's dead on...I bet if you set down, watched & played something like AC:Unity with a lot of action going on, 90% out there wouldn't be able tell the difference much less complaining about the resolution. Just like the average person out there wouldn't tell which is 60fps at 900p vs 30fps at 1080p. What I've seen of Unity is far superior than the last one which was better than previous games. They built a completely new engine for this. A few years ago if a Dev said you'll have over a 1000 individual AI's at once in a large area that would be laughed at. We're getting wrapped up way to much on "Specs" than actual play, layout, design, art and style of the games.
Yeah, this generation is going to be the war of system specs. I guess it's because the two systems were released so close to each other and both have AMD chips in them, so they are very easy to compare against each other.

Personally I don't care too much about minor details like resolution differences, AA levels etc, but I still find it interesting, and hate seeing crap like what Ubisoft is pulling. These consoles are so PC-like, and their API's are so low level, it is a realistic expectation that if a game can run at 60FPS/900p on the Xbox One that it can do 60FPS/1080p on the PS4. Not to mention increased texture resolution, AA levels, more advanced shaders, etc.
Old 10-07-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Which brings back my earlier point that this has always happened with multiplatform games. It's funny that only this generation did resolution-gate become such a bigger issue.
I think "always" is a bit of hyperbole. Yeah, it happened, but many times during Xbox360/PS4 there was one version that was better than the other. Usually it was the 360 just because it had an easier architecture to program for.

Because both of these consoles just aren't that powerful. I know a few of us were less then impressed with the technical specifications when they came out as being comparable to a lower mid-range gaming PC (with the PS4 being a bit better), and that was already a year and a half ago.
Yeah, like you said, mid-range PC specs (for the most part). Basically because of the lower level API's and highly targeted programming, they can squeeze out performance to closer to a high-range PC.

It's interesting that this is the first generation of consoles that Microsoft and Sony didn't lose money on each console at launch. Gotta wonder if there was some collusion there.
Old 10-07-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think "always" is a bit of hyperbole. Yeah, it happened, but many times during Xbox360/PS4 there was one version that was better than the other. Usually it was the 360 just because it had an easier architecture to program for.
Sorry, I wrote that poorly. I just meant multi-platform releases have always had this issue of either making one version better then the other, or sacrificing things for more parity and ease of porting between systems. It's just funny to me that it's such a bigger controversy now then in the past whereas these things barely made the news.
Old 10-07-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry, I wrote that poorly. I just meant multi-platform releases have always had this issue of either making one version better then the other, or sacrificing things for more parity and ease of porting between systems. It's just funny to me that it's such a bigger controversy now then in the past whereas these things barely made the news.
True. I think again, it's just because the systems are so easily comparable this time around. We know that EVERY PS4 game should look better than its Xbox One counterpart. With the previous generation, while the Xbox 360 had a better GPU, and had an easier architecture to program for, the PS3 had a more powerful CPU if utilized correctly. That's what led to less certainty on which version of a game is the "definitive" version until a game was released.
Old 10-07-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

All the complaining about us PS4 owners getting a "downgrade" version might have been all for nothing....

Assassin's Creed Unity Could Still Reach 1080p on the PS4

Assassin’s Creed Unity’s current specifications may yet be for the chop, as Ubisoft has stressed that nothing is set in stone yet......

...And now, in a statement issued to Eurogamer.net, the organisation has hinted that there still may be time to enhance the title’s performance. Currently the release is running at 30 frames-per-second in 900p, which is some way short of the 60 frames-per-second in 1080p target that it revealed at E3. “Final specs for Assassin's Creed Unity aren't cemented yet,” a spokesperson said, “but we can say that we showed Assassin's Creed Unity at 900p during our hands-on preview event last week.”

...but we accept that wild optimisation improvements can occur during the final hours of production. In fact, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag offered evidence of this, as it set sail on the PS4 in 900p, but a launch day patch bumped up its resolution to 1080p. At the end of the day, none of this really matters – but if Ubisoft has purposefully opted for parity, only the guillotine will suffice for the shamed French outfit.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/...80p_on_the_ps4

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.