Reload this Page >

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign

Old 04-23-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign

I was doing fairly well in the Punisher event, or so I thought. I ranked up to 70 and my opponent's heroes I was choosing to fight ranged from levels 1 to 8. I took a break and played a few Juggernaut missions and won a standard recruit token. I then bought another token for 500 ISO. I received these two heroes:

Black Panther (Man w/o Fear), 3*, Lv15
Psylocke (Classic), 3*, Lv15

I then went back to the Punisher event and now all of my opponent's heroes were levels 25-40! Is it just a coincidence or do higher star cards affect your opponent level?

Also, how are those two heroes? I haven't seen any covers for them yet so not sure how I will raise their powers without spending real $.

Finally, I'm maxed at 7 roster spots and out of tokens. Wondering who I should sell if any.

Hero List:
Iron Man (M35), Black Widow (M), Storm (M), Thor (MN!), Magento (MN!), Venom (DASM), Hawkeye (C)

Need to Claim:
Black Panther (MwoF), Psylocke (C)

My main team is IM, Thor, BW, Storm. Who should I sell to make room assuming BP and Psy are good heroes?

Thanks
Old 04-23-14, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a little unlucky that you get those 3 stars so early. Getting other covers to upgrade them is going to be rare, so they will level up very slowly, which isn't helpful in the early game.
Old 04-23-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Darnit the server problems at the end of that last event kept me from a Widow cover, like I need another Moonstone. Ugh.

I would say if you want to keep those two three stars, you can drop Hawkeye for sure (you can easily pick him back up later, but IM/BW/Storm should be ok for 1 stars) and probably Venom. Just a warning, Panther and Psylocke will be all but useless for you for a long, long time, since you'll need at least 7 or 8 more covers for each to really get them to the point where they're better than the two star covers you'll be building up.
Old 04-23-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what I figured. Maybe I will sell them or at least one of them.

Is there a way to change or combine covers? Black Widow's Widow Sting power is at lvl 4. I don't have any levels in her other power, the steal AP one, and was wondering if I could trade a Sting cover I just earned into the other power cover?
Old 04-23-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, and that's the hard part. Even if you have tons of money, you need at least one cover of each color to buy other covers. For instance, I've never seen a red hulk cover.
Old 04-23-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

I know I have no chance of a super high rank in the 4-week season thing they just started, but holy shit are the top prizes good.
Old 04-23-14, 05:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

There are a billion events going on right now. We should probably pick 1-2 to focus on so we can maximize our alliance score.
Old 04-23-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

focus on the hunt. it's only going 4 more days.

my new shield one is fucked up. i was at 182 points. i beat 2 people. didn't add any points and i didn't get prize. finally beat someone to put me over 200, but didn't give me the prize. so fuck that. if they can't score it right, i'm not bothering to play it.
Old 04-24-14, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm currently #4 in my group for the overall Hunt event. I think I've been top 50 in all of its sub-events, taking top 10 in two of them. I'm wondering if that's leading to harder levels, though, as it's getting to the point where 1/3 to 1/2 of the levels are coming in at deadly difficulty from the get go. One silver lining I have found to those, though, is that they tend to have higher points. I'll exhaust the normal levels for what I can get from them and then tackle the deadly ones with like 15-30 minutes left in the event. Since they let you stack bonus cards now, it's definitely possible to tackle the harder levels with a little planning and it gives a nice point boost when you beat a couple of them.

I also started playing the Season 1 event and have gotten up to #129 in that. Can't imagine that lasting though.
Old 04-24-14, 07:36 AM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

I'm currently #125 in my Hunt group (around 43,000 pts). I land around #150-250 in the events. I usually can't play half the levels. Either I don't have the characters (just got Human Torch earlier today). Or the levels are too high. Even though I've got 3 boosted characters (Magneto Now, Storm Classic & Black Widow Classic), some of these battles have opponents that are 30+ levels higher than me. So I just end up replaying the battles that are in my level range.

I really wish I understood the way enemy levels are assigned. I was playing Alaska today. And there's that row of 3 Fake Black Widow battles down the middle. I looked at the level totals before I started. It was around level 45 for the first battle, level 55 for the second battle, and level 65 for the third battle. I kicked butt on the first battle. Then went to the second battle and it jumped to level 90. The third battle jumped to level 110. With the 3 boosted characters, my best team is level 65-70. There's no way you can compete against characters that are 40 levels higher. I don't know why the game does that.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 04-24-14 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-24-14, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I'm currently #125 in my Hunt group (around 43,000 pts). I land around #150-250 in the events. I usually can't play half the levels. Either I don't have the characters (just got Human Torch earlier today). Or the levels are too high. Even though I've got 3 boosted characters (Magneto Now, Storm Classic & Black Widow Classic), some of these battles have opponents that are 30+ levels higher than me. So I just end up replaying the battles that are in my level range.

I really wish I understood the way enemy levels are assigned. I was playing Alaska today. And there's that row of 3 Fake Black Widow battles down the middle. I looked at the level totals before I started. It was around level 45 for the first battle, level 55 for the second battle, and level 65 for the third battle. I kicked butt on the first battle. Then went to the second battle and it jumped to level 90. The third battle jumped to level 110. With the 3 boosted characters, my best team is level 65-70. There's no way you can compete against characters that are 40 levels higher. I don't know why the game does that.
It's definitely possible if you save and carefully use your boosts. I've beat levels where all the enemies were 60 - 70 levels higher than any of mine. For example, this morning I beat one of the DA Widow levels you mention. The enemies were all 185 or higher and my highest character was 125. Used 3 of the +1 AP for blue/purple, 3 of the +1 AP for all and 2 of the +20% round damages. With two moves, I was able to use Classic Storm's blue, MN Magneto's purple to create 2 criticals and generate more blue, then Storm's blue again. Had one enemy down and the other two stunned and at less than 1,000 HP after that. I was able to finish them off without them getting another attack in. I will say, make sure you're using boosts on levels that you truly need them and where the payoff will boost you to the next reward level in an event, as otherwise you're just wasting a really valuable tool.
Old 04-24-14, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is ANOTHER factor in enemy leveling (besides community grinding, and ranking/refreshes affecting number of points), and that's your health. Seriously. If you're going in and using OBW to heal all the time and coming out with almost full health (or going into matches with almost full health) and winning a ton of matches, the game will try to make sure it's getting more difficult.

There are a lot of factors, and they sometimes change, go to the developer's forum and read up on some of the tips and tricks forum entries if you really want to know more. Like I said before, I haven't had the time to go really in depth, but most of the top players know the system pretty well.

Also, you can sometimes beat higher level teams, but you have to really know them. For instance, high level snipers and whatnot can kill guys in one blast, and high level Dakens or Bullseyes have almost ridiculous boosts on their strike/defense tiles.
Old 04-24-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk God

just promoted a guy to the team, as a non-commander. he bumped us up quite a bit in the hunt event. if we need to kick him later, we can.
Old 04-25-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

So what are the current prices for slots in the dvdtalk alliance? my current alliance is of 3-4 active players and if the spots arent too much, we wouldnt mind joining the dvdtalk alliance so we can all get better alliance rewards
Old 04-25-14, 11:34 AM

We're currently at 10. So the next four upgrades would be 1100, 1200, 1300, and 1400. If you guys can swing that and play regularly over time you should get some of those hero points back (we regularly get hp as alliance rewards for the events, and with more players that should go up).
Old 04-25-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Next slot costs 1100.

Edit: D'oh, Groucho.
Old 04-25-14, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

we do have one spot open, technically, since we just accepted a random. but i don't mind kicking the fool to the curb if we are going to get 3-4 more guys. the bigger our alliance gets, the more points we get and we get closer to the bigger prizes. right now, we are usually getting between 500 - 1000 in most events. adding 3-4 people should push us into the 250-500 range, which is where we start getting the good stuff as rewards.
Old 04-25-14, 12:09 PM

Okay, here are the people who have paid for a slot:

maxfisher (slot 6)
Deftones (slot 7)
fujishiq (slot 8)
Groucho (slot 9)
TheBigDave (slot 10)

Updated list below

Last edited by Groucho; 04-27-14 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-25-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Should we wait until The Hunt finishes to drop the newb? We're in the top 500 right now and will lose over 90,000 pts if we kick him. Also, it seems fairly unlikely we're going to get 20 active players from here. Should we offer him the chance to join permanently if he pays to open the next slot? Or do we want to keep it to DVDTalkers only for full members?

Unrelated, the rubberbanding hasn't seemed as bad for me during The Hunt, until this morning, when I went from #2 to finish as 'top 100' in the last ~20 minutes of Florida.
Old 04-25-14, 01:11 PM

I'm not opposed to letting "outsiders" join if they're willing to pay for a slot, especially if they are big contributors.

One caveat: once we promote this guy to "Commander" we can't demote or kick him. So if he agrees to buy a new slot and reneges, there's no recourse.
Old 04-25-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

yeah, only people who post here should have commander status. outsiders do not get that privilege. if they want to pay to be in the alliance, i'm fine with that, with the understanding they'll never have the opportuinty to be a commander.

as for adding/kicking people before the event ends, i say we wait a few days until this is done. get his points for it, then move on if we have to.
Old 04-25-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But you have to be a commander to contribute to the next slot, don't you?

Darnit, a doom event. My doom sucks.
Old 04-25-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with not promoting non-DVDTalk members to Commander even if it means they can't buy a new spot if they want to, but its not a big deal if you guys prefer otherwise for the alliance's benefit.

I'm still down to buy an extra slot if we need it too.
Old 04-25-14, 10:58 PM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm still down to buy an extra slot if we need it too.
If you (or anyone else in the alliance) is going to buy some slots, I don't mind pitching in a couple bucks. Especially if it'll help get us into a higher award bracket. Drop me a PM and I can send you some Paypal.

It would be great if we could get DaveNinja's group to join.
Old 04-25-14, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk God

yeah, i'd considering contributing a few bucks if dave ninja wants to merge his group. we'll recoup the cost in the coins we win in the alliance payouts in probably less than a month.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.