Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Evolve: New next-gen only FPS from Left 4 Dead creators (PS4, XO, PC; Feb. 2015)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Evolve: New next-gen only FPS from Left 4 Dead creators (PS4, XO, PC; Feb. 2015)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 05:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Evolve: New next-gen only FPS from Left 4 Dead creators (PS4, XO, PC; Feb. 2015)

I did trade this in. There was nothing compelling enough about it to keep it.
Old 03-01-15, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Evolve: New next-gen only FPS from Left 4 Dead creators (PS4, XO, PC; Feb. 2015)

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I did trade this in. There was nothing compelling enough about it to keep it.
It really is a shame they didn't go free to play on this one. I this the audience would've had the opposite reaction. This one really did die faster than Titanfall.
Old 03-01-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
He makes a great point about how multiplayer-only games lack a sorely needed component of videogames; and ending, a sense of closure. These things just sorta peter out, the community dwindles and there's nothing left to go back to.
Didn't watch the video, but is that assuming the single player modes for games like CoD or Battlefield are enough to give that closure? Seems like thousands/millions of folks play that solely for the multiplayer. Not to mention some of the most played games in the world, namely MMO's and MOBA's, don't have an ending and are multiplayer only.
Old 03-01-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Didn't watch the video, but is that assuming the single player modes for games like CoD or Battlefield are enough to give that closure? Seems like thousands/millions of folks play that solely for the multiplayer. Not to mention some of the most played games in the world, namely MMO's and MOBA's, don't have an ending and are multiplayer only.
I think if it wasn't for CoD's single-player campaign in the earlier games (CoD2, MW1), the multi-player wouldn't have taken off the way it did. And actually, the way CoD has been diminishing in sales and players these past few years since its peak bears this out as well.
Old 03-01-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think if it wasn't for CoD's single-player campaign in the earlier games (CoD2, MW1), the multi-player wouldn't have taken off the way it did. And actually, the way CoD has been diminishing in sales and players these past few years since its peak bears this out as well.
I don't disagree that the single player is a reason why the game and franchise initially took off, but I don't think that applies to the notion that multiplayer games fail due to the lack of an ending. I'd say diminishing sales seems from competition and franchise fatigue more then the need for an ending or closure are the reasons for the drop in sales, and even then we're still talking millions that play the franchise.

In any case, there's enough examples of multiplayer only or multiplayer driven games that have been hugeful successful to counter Titanfall/Evolve. If the gameplay and content is there, an ending isn't an issue.
Old 03-01-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In any case, there's enough examples of multiplayer only or multiplayer driven games that have been hugeful successful to counter Titanfall/Evolve. If the gameplay and content is there, an ending isn't an issue.
Really? Name some. I'd say there's not nearly enough - PC titles aside, for every one, there's like 4 or 5 that died on the vine.
Old 03-01-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He makes a great point about how multiplayer-only games lack a sorely needed component of videogames; and ending, a sense of closure. These things just sorta peter out, the community dwindles and there's nothing left to go back to.
Counter-strike and Counter-strike: Global Offensive?
Dota 2?
League of Legends?
Team Fortress 2?

These are some multiplayer-only games that still have over 100K active players daily. Counter-strike is over fifteen years old whereas Team Fortress 2 is seven years old.

The argument is shit when a company knows how to rally its fans around a game and keeps on supplying (free) content to the user base. Team Fortress 2 may be the only example of where a free-to-play model makes absolute sense.
Old 03-01-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Really? Name some. I'd say there's not nearly enough - PC titles aside, for every one, there's like 4 or 5 that died on the vine.
I see zero reason to exclude PC titles, unless you're doing that just to try and strengthen your point by eliminating a big chunk of games. League of Legends might be the most popular game world wide, and another MOBA in DOTA 2 and Counter Strike are the most played games on Steam by FAR. And my biased example, over 10 million people are still playing World of Warcraft and 25 million signed up to play Hearthstone.

As I mentioned, games like Call of Duty and Battlefield are clearly multiplayer driven and continue to sell millions alone based on that factor, with Advanced Warfare still the best selling title of 2014. The other easy example is Destiny; all the complaints aside, it's still insanely successful and players keep going back to it despite no ending.

If the argument is players lose interest in a game because there isn't closure or an ending, the endless number of mobile games also run counter to that given the popularity of simple titles like Clash of Clans. Basically, the most popular titles in gaming across all devices and systems are multiplayer titles that don't have any sort of definitive end and push the player towards endless progression, gear/loot, or unlockables. There are failures and disappointments like Titanfall and Evolve, but I don't see that as indicative of any need or desire for an end game and closure. Gamers seem more then willing to do the same thing over and over again.
Old 03-01-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Counter-strike and Counter-strike: Global Offensive?
Dota 2?
League of Legends?
Team Fortress 2?

These are some multiplayer-only games that still have over 100K active players daily. Counter-strike is over fifteen years old whereas Team Fortress 2 is seven years old.

The argument is shit when a company knows how to rally its fans around a game and keeps on supplying (free) content to the user base. Team Fortress 2 may be the only example of where a free-to-play model makes absolute sense.
These are all PC games - doesn't count.
I see zero reason to exclude PC titles
The community, subscription-model, mods, and so much more, all set PC multi-player games apart from consoles, so much so that's it's ridiculous to even compare. If you can't see these, frankly HUGE differences, then you're being really intellectually dishonest, and the one trying to strengthen your point by comparing things that aren't comparable.
Old 03-01-15, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are all PC games - doesn't count.

The community, subscription-model, mods, and so much more, all set PC multi-player games apart from consoles, so much so that's it's ridiculous to even compare. If you can't see these, frankly HUGE differences, then you're being really intellectually dishonest, and the one trying to strengthen your point by comparing things that aren't comparable.
PC games don't count? Oh, you mean the fucking game we're discussing which was originally envisioned as a PC game?

Have you even touched some of the games I mentioned? There is nothing separating the community or subscription-model between PC and consoles. Just look at the plethora of free-to-play games slowly making their way to the Xbox One and PS4 due to Microsoft and Sony's lax policies this generation. What about the success Destiny, which is console-only, has had on consoles? Any platform can be successful for online-only games, it's just a matter of the developer taking the time to invest in the community. Team Fortress 2 (and the Left 4 Dead titles) might've had similar success on the Xbox 360 if Microsoft didn't nickel-and-dime developers for pushing out DLC during the last-gem (to be fair, Sony pulled the same shit last-gen too). That's why PC users got Left 4 Dead's DLC content for free whereas 360 users had to pay for it.

To also point out how shitty your argument is: there are no "mods" available Dota 2 and League of Legends. Those games make money off users paying for in-game content to decorate their characters, a concept that is available on a plethora of console games such as the Call of Duty and Evolve. In addition, the mods available for Counter-strike and Team Fortress 2 don't effect overall gameplay and are mostly done on a server level; things that can be accomplished on ANY platform because they're server-based. The only "mods" that I know of that are installed locally are items like UI adjustments and don't effect overall gameplay.

To argue your point more, about the success Call of Duty has had with its online multiplayer? Yes, there's a single-player experience that lasts the matter of six-to-eight hours. However, a majority of the owners play the game online with other users. Nobody is playing that franchise on PC anymore, the majority plays it on consoles. Black Ops II, a game that's three years old, still has 50K+ active players online playing multiplayer during peak on the 360: more than Ghosts and Advanced Warfare combined on the same platform. When you look at the current most played games on PS4 and Xbox One? Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Destiny, and Grand Theft Auto V. Most of them are playing it online and there's tons of users spending their hard earned cash on the online experience. Activision and Rockstar are pulling in millions in profit alone just based upon people purchasing in-game content.

Evolve will fail because simply put, there's not enough content available to justify a $60 price point, even if all future DLC maps will be free. 2K and Turtle Beach would've had success if they changed the game's model and made it free-to-play or had the balls to put a AAA game at retail for $15 like Valve did for Counter-strike: Global Offensive. Simple as that.
Old 03-01-15, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
PC games don't count?
No, they don't, because they have substantive differences than multi-player games on consoles, which leaves them out of this conversation.

Have you even touched some of the games I mentioned?
Yes I have, which is why I know they're different.

Point being, multi-player-focused games on consoles are far less successful than those on the PC, mainly be because they don't have the same advantages. So they need to somehow fill in those deficiencies to make up the difference.

If you disagree, then I hope you're still enjoying playing Brink on the 360...
Old 03-01-15, 05:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
It really is a shame they didn't go free to play on this one. I this the audience would've had the opposite reaction. This one really did die faster than Titanfall.
I agree, make it F2P with one map and the initial loadout of monsters/characters, then charge people for more maps, monsters, and characters. People would have been way kinder towards it.
Old 03-01-15, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not at all; nothing in the Zero Punctuation video and your post regarding his assertion mentioned this was an issue limited to console audiences (especially given Titanfall and Evolve are both on PC). It's a distinction you decided to introduce, so calling it "intellectually dishonest" is rather ridiculous.

Chmiel basically covered everything else I was going to; you didn't address the success of the console games that were mentioned as far as CoD or Destiny, and the fact that mods have zero effect on the MOBA scene so they do little in sustaining that genre. Either way, aspects like subscription model and mods don't really affect the underlying assertion that the issue for gamers is end game/closure; those involve accessibility and additional content, not the proposed issue of requiring some sort of finality to a game.

Honestly I don't see much of a difference across all platforms in this regard; the most popular games on Console, PC, or Mobile all rely on repetition and grinding with out a true ending. I don't see how you can dispute that.
Old 03-04-15, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sBwM9c8ctGg?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-13-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put some time into this one last night, and the game just didn't seem that much fun. I stuck to the single player "story" stuff since there was a 3.5GB update to jump into multiplayer. Maybe it was because I was playing with bots, but none of them seemed really helpful when we fought the monster. And the monster kept running away each time, so we spent more time trying to track it down then actually fighting it. Oh, and it doesn't seem to save your progress in the story. Because when I quit to eat dinner and came back later, it started me back at the beginning. So I'll put a little more time into it this weekend once I can jump into multiplayer, but I'm really glad I didn't buy this one.
Old 08-31-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Free weekend on PC & XB1 to try everything out, including all of the DLC

http://evolvegame.com/news/evolve-fr...oliath-release

I think this game died out quicker than anyone would have thought. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw anyone on my friends list playing it. Best Buy & Target also have it for $19.99. Not sure if that's a "sale" or the sign of a permanent price drop coming soon.
Old 08-31-15, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll eat crow on this, I certainly thought it would be played more then it actually has been. I tried it and got over it pretty quickly.
Old 10-05-15, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Good news, at least if you set the bar for "good news" very low!

An "Ultimate Edition" of Evolve is coming to the PS4 and Xbox One on November 3rd.
Old 10-05-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Why?
Old 10-05-15, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unless it's free, it's too late
Old 10-05-15, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Isn't it too late even then? Are there a lot of people still playing this?
Old 10-05-15, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Not on PC!

Old 10-06-15, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

PC doesn't count.
Spoiler:
Old 07-07-16, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Game is going free to play on PC. Hope it succeeds that way, i have a few friends that work at Turtle Rock.
Old 10-25-16, 08:24 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

2K pulled the plug and cancelled the contract Turtle Rock Studios had to develop Evolve. Looks like Stage 2 might eventually hit consoles, but it's out of TRS'a hands now.

Here's a link to the letter from their founders:

https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t...unity/106117/2