Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Single Player vs. Multiplayer

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 01:42 AM
Cool New Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Single Player vs. Multiplayer

Which mode do you prefer single player or multiplayer? For me honestly, it depends on the game and the time I'm willing to spend, But most of the times I choose multiplayer
Old 04-06-20, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: Single Player vs. Multiplayer

Most of the time single player, most multiplayer games have moved toward battle arenas and are extraordinarily repetitive. I used to be all about it but got burnt out in the Unreal Tournament / Quake II days.

That is unless it's something like Dark Souls or Bloodborne where there's an online aspect that doesn't dominate, or if co-op is available.
Old 04-06-20, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Overwhelmingly single player. Sometimes I'll get into a game with a multiplayer-focus, like Splatoon or Overwatch, but it's pretty rare. And doesn't necessarily carry over to sequels, since I was tremendously disappointed by Splatoon 2. A big part of it is because I'm wired to want to see something to completion and then move onto the next thing. I do like couch co-op, and it was fun finally taking advantage of our multiple Xboxen by playing Anthem with my wife.

Originally Posted by RichC2
I used to be all about it but got burnt out in the Unreal Tournament / Quake II days.
Same here. Especially Unreal.
Old 04-06-20, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

I almost never play multiplayer games. Rare exception is if nephews and nieces come over and play Mario Kart.
Old 04-06-20, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Entirely single player. I've probably put less than 2 hours into multiplayer in the past decade.
Old 04-06-20, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Pretty much almost always singleplayer. I'll occasionally play Borderlands with my son or a party type game with company or family.
My wife doesn't do video games except for match 3 type stuff on her phone.
Playing Left 4 Dead a few years back with my dad was fun and interesting.
But yeah, most multiplayer is either competitive FPS or MOBA, neither of which I'm good at or think is fun.
Old 04-15-20, 02:45 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't like playing multiplayer with strangers, I only like playing with people I know. And the older I get, the less myself and people I know have time for gaming.

So I'm almost exclusively a single player gamer.
Old 04-15-20, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,018 Likes on 841 Posts

Almost all single player except LEGO games with my kids. I kinda wouldn’t mind more story-based multiplayer games instead of fighting stuff.
Old 04-15-20, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I rarely ever play multiplayer. Just never got into that aspect of gaming as much. Especially in an online environment. I used to play some local multiplayer like wrestling games, Mario Kart/racing, and Goldeneye on N64. Prefer single player experiences more by a long shot.
Old 04-15-20, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Almost entirely single player. I do enjoy some PvE type gaming, especially Horde modes on Gears and the like. I usually always play the campaign on games first and by the time I would play multiplayer everybody would be level 20+ and I don’t see the fun in that.
I think games like Sea of Thieves sounds fun, but then I read the comments about how nasty the community is and I steer clear.
Old 04-16-20, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by atrium
I don't like playing multiplayer with strangers, I only like playing with people I know. And the older I get, the less myself and people I know have time for gaming.

So I'm almost exclusively a single player gamer.
I'm the same way. Sometimes friends will all get into a new multiplayer game, and I really enjoy that community gaming experience. However, during this pandemic they are mostly playing DOTA2 and Starcraft 2, and I'm just not into those games.

I'm playing mostly Animal Crossing now, but the girlfriend and I are playing next to each other a lot of times so it's a mix of single and multi-player.
Old 04-20-20, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I enjoy single player but Online Multiplayer is also important to me as it extends the game's life. Also, I don't have friends who game and no one in my home games so being able to play games with strangers on XBOX LIVE isn't a problem for me outside of getting my ass handed to me regularly.
Old 04-20-20, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I think the main turn off for me with multiplayer, especially when it’s online versus local is that I’m pretty much never as hardcore as those players so I just constantly get killed and it gets to the point where it’s annoying and not fun. That’s why I tend to avoid that type of gameplay. That and I don’t normally have the hours to just sink into playing and like doing so on my own time more.
Old 05-01-20, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

I still love multiplayer but single player is always primary.