Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 2015)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 2015)

Old 10-28-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
Re: Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 201

Light Goes Out on Xbox 360 Version of Dying Light
No longer coming to the older console

One of the great debates that has been stirred up in recent months is one over just what we should call the Xbox 360 and One in terms of their generations. After all, it doesn't seem right to call the One next gen when, well, it's already here.

It seems, however, that we're getting more and more evidence that the 'last gen' moniker will soon firmly affix itself to the Xbox 360, as games are moving toward either having exclusive features on the newer console or, even worse, not getting released on the older console at all.

The distinction between developing for current and last gen has, sadly, claimed the Xbox 360 version of Dying Light, which has officially been canceled. Developer, Techland, offered the following rationale behind the decision.

Dear Gamers,
As you probably know, we’re wrapping up the development of Dying Light, our biggest and most ambitious project to date. We spent the last three years making sure that all the features of our game add up to create a truly next-gen experience.

Much of this “next-gen feel” is tightly connected to the technological side of Dying Light. For instance, up to 200 000 objects can be displayed in the game at once. Add to this our use of realistic, physics-based lighting technology and you really start to push the next-gen systems to the limits. Features like these along with our core gameplay pillars – such as the player-empowering Natural Movement, threefold character development system, and vast open world – are all an inherent part of how Dying Light plays. However, combining all of these into one fluid experience is only possible on technologically advanced platforms.

Therefore, after thorough internal testing, we have come to the conclusion that we have no choice but to leave past-gen systems behind and release Dying Light exclusively on the next-gen consoles and PC. Put simply, older consoles just couldn’t run the game and stay true to the core vision of Dying Light at the same time.

To ensure you enjoy Dying Light as much as we would like you to, we chose to release it without any compromises on the three strongest systems available. Thanks to this, you’ll get the full and best experience regardless of the platform you play on.

We hope you understand the hard choice we’ve had to make. With the launch just around the corner, we can’t wait to show you Dying Light in the state it was meant to be. We’re looking forward to your reactions and impressions as we release the game in January 2015.

http://www.trueachievements.com/n186...ying-light.htm
Old 10-28-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Re: Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 201

We need more lights going out on last gen games so they can focus all the resources of creating titles for this current generation of systems.
Old 10-28-14, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
We need more lights going out on last gen games so they can focus all the resources of creating titles for this current generation of systems.
While I agree to some extent, the install base for the 360 compared to the One is going to limit its selling numbers.

The One's game library is growing, which is good, but it doesn't have its system seller yet. Dying Light isn't going to be that game either.
Old 10-28-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

If next year's Call Of Duty is current gen only they will get those console numbers up.
Old 10-29-14, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The article is Xbox-centric but the cancellation applies to Sony consoles as well.
Old 10-29-14, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

People complain that some games don't look nex gen and that's because when DEVs develope a game for both gen systems that have to write muliple codes since the 360 is different from PS3, PS3 is different from PS4 and XO is different from 360. By focusing on Next gen studios can use more resources and provide a better game. Case in point is Ubisoft with Assassins Creed Unity. It's based on an all new engine for next gen systems and couldn't be made for 360 & PS3. Plus DEVS see the sales numbers coming in on the amount of PS4 & XO being sold so it's a no brainer especially come the Holiday season coming.
Old 10-29-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thread title update.
Old 12-06-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty good video and seems to be more to the game than just killing zombies....

Dying Light's New Story Trailer Is Brash, Brooding, and Beautiful

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/..._and_beautiful

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l1YSxalaoSU?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-06-14, 09:32 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

well, that certainly doesn't look bad...
Old 12-06-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried to watch that video but yet again it is another one of those youtube videos that loads forever. It just sits and spins. Why the hell do some youtube videos do that? I have had to resort to actually downloading the videos that do this to my computer to be able to watch them. It is so frustrating.
Old 12-08-14, 10:55 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That new trailer gives me a Far Cry vibe. I enjoyed Dead Island despite its faults, so I'm curious how similar this will end up being. DI was a blast for the first third, but I found myself liking it less with each new location that opened up. I also thought the way they went about having the zombies level with you just made the game more tedious and frustrating (instead of adding difficulty in a good way).
Old 12-08-14, 11:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Yeah, the scaling leveling was what kept me from finishing Dead Island. Normally with this type of game, if an area is too difficult, you come back when you're more powerful. Not possible with Dead Island.
Old 01-09-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We're about two weeks away from release (27th) and seeing what interest is out there and who is in. Having played and loved the L4D games I'm getting closer to going ahead and doing a preorder since I have a $15 credit on the Sony Store.

Official Site - http://dyinglightgame.com/
Old 01-09-15, 10:06 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I enjoyed the dead island games especially as coop games. I am really looking forward to this, but I am not happy about is the asymmetrical multiplayer they are forcing on us. I am not sure how much they are going to force this, but the night time they have real people invade your game and attack you sort of like left 4 dead. I have no problem with this when I chose to play a multiplayer mode, but in a single player or coop game with my friends I don't want to be forced into this. You had a bit of this in Watch Dogs and it drove me nuts, so I disabled it.

I hope they will allow you to disable this feature, but a recent ign interview they not only bragged about this feature, they even said you are pushed into doing them since some missions require you to do them at night and also some supplies for equipment can only be found during these invasions. I guess as we get closer we will get more information, but since I plan on cooping this I can't just turn off my network connection to avoid it.
Old 01-09-15, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^I didn't know that. Ugh if it is true.
Old 01-09-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you sure this "Hunter Mode" is also in the co-op part? From everything I've seen the Hunter Mode is PvP where one person takes form of the Night Hunter and it can be 4v1, 2v1 or even 1v1.

Then again I just watched the IGN interview and at the 0.40 mark he does mention that in "Player vs Zombie Mode is a mode which in Single Player and Co-op that all of a sudden you can get a message that the Hunter is invading"

Now that doesn't make much sense to me at all. But later on he does mention that you need to defeat the Hunter for crucial parts and weapons. I don't mind the mode but would rather it be triggered totally random and AI controlled. Diablo: Reaper of Souls has something very similar to this with a "Nemesis" system. You can get a very powerful Demon invade your game anytime. If you defeat them you get a special bonus and/or prize. However you lose, the Demon then invades someone on your friends list.

I'll have to read more into this and can see some not liking it at all and some like "hey, it's only at night and it'll be 2-4 of us so what". We had some super zombies in LF4 that took 2-4 of us to take out and this one looks unique. I did see where just a tad of the UV light drains the Hunter of stamina.

I do like the Day & Night cycle giving you two types of play style to deal with. The game does look good though and still be looking at this to the end.
Old 01-16-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The crew at Gamespot did a 4-player co-op run. It's more just for fun and trying it out but gives some sense of what's it like...

<iframe src="http://www.gamespot.com/videos/embed/6423023/" width="640" height="400" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 01-26-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts

Any reviews on this? It's out tomorrow.
Old 01-26-15, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They said not to expect reviews until release day at the earliest. There are plenty of people streaming gameplay already, though. Seems like mostly positive reactions there, at least.
Old 01-26-15, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

I watched almost an hour of streaming yesterday on Twitch. Looks pretty good. Graphics are really nice - surprisingly so (though fire looks way worse than in Far Cry 4). Gameplay looked a lot like Dead Island -- open world, lots of missions. Looks very tough, probably not my kind of game. I might get it shipped from
Game Fly today - will see. Not buying it though since I will probably suck at it (and I don't usually enjoy zombie games even the very good ones).
Old 01-26-15, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Still 50/50 on this as I've still got destiny, Far Cry 4 and Diablo I can go back on. Plus I'm about sold on The Order next month. The game looks like a lot of fun especially if you can do 3-4 player co-op which was the highlight of Left 4 Dead games.
Old 01-26-15, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
They said not to expect reviews until release day at the earliest. There are plenty of people streaming gameplay already, though. Seems like mostly positive reactions there, at least.
I hate that. The devs said there would be no review embargo, but absurd you have to wait until release date to find out if it is good. I will probably keep my BB Preorder, but still obnoxious we have to continue to have to deal with this shit.
Old 01-26-15, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Plus I'm about sold on The Order next month.
I would wait that one out if I were you... Just saying.
Old 01-26-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Hey, turns out Gamefly shipped Dying Light PS4 this morning.

If you do pick this up K&A, I'll try some co-op with you.
Old 01-26-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by discostu1337
I would wait that one out if I were you... Just saying.
I'm feeling the same way. As indescribably gorgeous as it is, there just...barely seems to be a game there. Too many previews have made The Order sound like an uninspired, cover-based third-person shooter with too many QTEs, too many cinematics, too much hand-holding, and (bleeccch) forced stealth. I'm probably helping to veer this thread too far off-topic, though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.