Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 2015)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 2015)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 201

Originally Posted by Barth
Thanks for responding guys. It has improved since I spent a little more time with it. I was on that early mission with turning on electric boxes and couldn't reach one no matter how I timed my jump. Turns out I didn't even need to do that one to complete the mission. I did the other one which was much easier and it completed the mission. Kinda weird. The game is growing on me.
I picked up the collected edition a few weeks back and only just really started playing it this week and i know exactly what you mean. I was trying to climb or jump to a pole with an electrical box at the top only for it to dawn on me whilst running around that it was not the correct pole. Quickly passed this section.

I am so far also not being a huge fan of the jumping around. It does not help that weapons seem to fall apart after killing only one zombie and then having to resort to simply running past zombies. I wanted more action, even early on in this game, but it seems more collecting and not being able to create weapons at this point.

I am certainly going to stick with the game as i am sure it improves and by the end i will probably love it, but its a real slow burn beginning and i can see why a lot of people might give up quickly on it. Sure does look nice though.

Oh, by the way, there are tonnes of gas canisters around, and sure they must blow up, but without anything to shoot them...whats the point. Am i missing some way to utilize them as a weapon? In the first real boss type fight (the guy with the club bursting out of the electrical cabin) i got the impression that you could lay one in his way and hope he hits it and it explodes, but it seemed to be easier said than done so i just once again ran around him.
Old 05-20-16, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 201

Have you got the Grapple yet....that is by far the best thing in the entire game. And yes, early on is a bit slow because you haven't unlocked a lot of the cool skills that really come in handy later on. Also a lot of the early weapons are so-so until you get the Purple & Gold Blueprints. And the extra damage buffs really help in fine-tuning the weapon. If you land one high in damage (1400+) with decent agility say somewhere around 65-75, build that up and use for a long time. We keep using the same ones until they're almost wasted and have a couple ready to go. Be careful with say the two-handed axes...they deal great damage but when you see ones with like 25 agility they are slow.

Also load them up with Fire & Shock combos...they are the best. Freeze will slow them down a good deal. Yes, gas canisters can help. A lot of the surrounding can be used to your advantage. See a big group, throw some firecrackers to lure them in a bunch and toss a Molotov especially when near spilled gas or a chemical spill. Also with the big guys (Bosses to) have them wipe out the zombies. Throw firecrackers at the boss and zombies will go straight to them and the big guys will smack at anything that comes near them

Hang in there...the game does get better with the skills and weapons. We got our butts kicked early on plenty of times but it's always been two of us and that makes a difference especially at night; that part ain't no joke. Also try to grab the weapon drops by the plane. At the beginning in the tall building (main safe house) there is usually a drop right down the street. With the grapple you can get there in no time flat. Bad guys get there t1st hrow firecrakers and zombies will be on them in no time.
Old 05-26-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have played this more over the last few days and its picked up. It helps that i have more blueprints and got some better weapons, along with guns. I am in the second section of the city and whilst it is still a lot of running away (i laughed to myself that its something like Monty Pythons Holy Grail early on...RUN AWAY!!!! RUN AWAY!!!!!), i can do better now when i have to take something on head first. One thing i do love about the game is the sheer panic and exhilaration that it gives the player (especially at night) when you are on the run from a hoard. Not many games capture this, or resort to cheap scares, but this game does an amazing job. I like how the game also gives the player a fighting chance.

When it comes to low rate weapons i tend to take them apart for parts. Price at vendors does not seem great, and the materials are probably more useful. As i say i am still early on i think in the game, and have not dealt too much with side quest, but the game is certainly picking up.
Old 05-26-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,180 Likes on 4,208 Posts

The Enhanced Edition of Dying Light is currently on sale on PSN for $35.99 (PS Plus Price) this week, until next Tuesday. That's a nice deal.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...EEGAME00000000
Old 05-26-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
So how's the DLC? Is it worth $20? Is the new area any good?
Still no response to my question?

I'll that that to mean either no one's played it, and/or it's underwhelming and can be skipped.
Old 05-26-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
The Enhanced Edition of Dying Light is currently on sale on PSN for $35.99 (PS Plus Price) this week, until next Tuesday. That's a nice deal.

That is one solid deal. We still play it in between The Division and we both got Fallout 4 to break up the pace. My friend informed me to somewhere she saw there was a mention of Dying Light 2 already in the works.

In terms of the DLC package on if it's worth it or not; are you talking about the Season Pass. Not sure but I thought the current Season pass deal includes The Following which is way worth every penny. The map/area is as big as both towns in the original game. Heck...even getting to drive the Buggies is well worth it along with getting a Crossbow. We stumbled upon a large cave area that was on the edge of the map that you could see weird parts outside and we believe this might be something new still coming. We haven't touched but probably 2/3 of the map.
Old 05-26-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, I meant just The Following. If it's that big, sounds good. And driving the buggies around is all good?
Old 05-26-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought the complete package, so i am not sure if i would recognize the DLC when i am playing it. I noticed a have a nice set of different outfits though.

This game reminds me of Shadow or Mordor in the fact that first couple of hours of gameplay i got my ass handed to me, but it rewards those players that stick with it and the more time played makes it easier to deal with. The same could be said for Bloodborne, but that game is brutal from the off. I played well into that last year but got sidetracked by other games. My step daughter keeps bugging me to start playing it again, but thats a game i need to really be in the mood for these days. probably have to start all over again just to remember how to play the bloody thing.
Old 05-26-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, I meant just The Following. If it's that big, sounds good. And driving the buggies around is all good?
Yep..and it's that good. The more you drive, the faster you drive and the more zombies you run over the more points to apply upgrades to the Buggy. Like a better cage, better front bumper (with spikes), better wheels, front blow torch, electricity to the cage and more lights for night driving and to have a safe zone. Plus you pick up Buggy Mods like your weapons which is suspension, gears, motor and brakes.

We take them thru wheat fields when there are loads of zombies and just drive in circles. The Crazies will chase you down and jump on and they can do damage. Just slam on the brakes, they go flying and run them over. You also search broken down cars & trucks for gas and car parts like Synthetic that helps you repair the mods. They break down and need repair just like weapons.That map is freaking huge.
Old 05-27-16, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I managed to get the hook last night and been using that a bit. Certainly makes getting around easier. Its nice to see a game that actually gives you a reasonable amount of cash for doing things and leveling up doesn't take forever. I read a couple of guides on weapons, so trying to keep an eye out for the Katana and beef that bad boy up once i eventually find it. I played for a solid 4 hours last night and had a blast. The sheer exhilaration and panic the game can create when running through the city at night is fantastic. Did a few side quests and they seemed pretty enjoyable. I was looking to buy Uncharted 4 and Doom, but may leave them a bit longer as i am invested in this game right now.
Old 06-05-16, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well finished up the main story yesterday and getting into the side quests I haven't finished. Shouldn't take too long as most missions in the game don't seem to take up huge amounts of time, which makes a refreshing change. Have really enjoyed the game overall and would be in for a sequel. Not sure how much replay value this game will get, but I guess fun to hack and slash zombies from time to time.
Old 11-26-16, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FWIW.....those still playing this there is a special "Hyper Mode" going on from Nov 25th thru Nov 27th. You'll get a Gold Special Weapon, Paint Job for the buggy and new outfit.

Apparently the game is still popular and being played a lot. They set the goal for the Hyper Mode weekend at 5,000,000 zombies killed worldwide. That number was reached within a half-a-day. When I left last night it was at 8,921,648 with the counter showing about 1000 every 4 seconds...
Old 06-15-17, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well in case some were wondering if we see a New Dying Light....here's the answer....

Dying Light Getting Brand New Content; More Community Events Coming Soon

Today developer Techland and publisher Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced that their game Dying Light will be receiving a years worth of brand new content.

Techland says the players will be receiving ten pieces of content over the span of the next twelve months. What that DLC will be will vary from drop to drop, however the developer confirmed that it will include new locations, story driven quests, gameplay mechanics, weapons, enemies, and more.

Before this new content will start, the developer says that they will be releasing Content Drop #0, which will include some brand new enemies to fight against. Techland says Content Drop #0 is meant to be just a small sampling of things to come.

The best part of all this is that every piece of future DLC, including Content Drop #0, will be available at absolutely no charge.

http://www.dualshockers.com/dying-li...s-coming-soon/
Old 06-15-17, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,180 Likes on 4,208 Posts

The whole shebang is only $14.99 on sale in the PSN this week.

Old 06-15-17, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I finally got my friend to pick it up for that price. So I finally unwrapped my copy and installed it last night.
Old 10-02-17, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend and I finally finished this over the weekend. Overall, we really enjoyed it. It was a little long and repetitive in some sections, but it's always fun running around and beating the shit out of some zombies. We played through Dead Island together years ago on 360 as well, so it felt very familiar. We did run into two big issues though.

First, one night we were playing (which I believe was only our second time playing) the game had some connection issues and my friend was booted. I could still hear him through chat and I had just gotten to a safe house and triggered the cut scene. So we figured, no biggie, just join me again and we'll keep going. So he did, and we didn't think anything of it. We played for about 5 or 6 hours that night and then quit. So the next time we went to play again, he noticed that his progression bar for the campaign was significantly lower than mine, by about 20% to 30%. So after some Googling, we found out that when his game dropped and I hit the cut scene, he didn't get credit for the campaign, so when he jumped back in, he wasn't getting any credit for anything he did going forward. So for the rest of the game, we ended up playing from my save, but it sucked for him since he couldn't get any of the upgrades going forward since his character wouldn't level up. So he missed out on a bunch of the abilities, including the grappling hook.

Second issue was the fucking ending of that game. Jeez, what a shit show. First off, they don't let you finish the final mission together, it's single player only. So you have to run though which is essentially an obstacle course filled with zombies. Anytime you miss a jumping platform, you start back at the beginning. Then after that, you go from level to level, fighting hordes of zombies. Which at that point, I was trying to save my best weapons and guns for what I thought would be a really tough boss fight. Nope, after all of that, your boss fight is just a quick time event. That was really a kick in the nuts after pouring so much time into that world. Easily one of the worst payoffs to a game in recent memory.

So, other than those two things, the game was pretty fun playing co-op. We still need to play through the DLC, The Following, so hopefully that gives him a fresh start on his character since he's at such a low level currently.
Old 10-02-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Glad you enjoyed it and I forgot about the year long DLC that is coming. Did you make it into the new area and complete that as well? The first area is fun but the second is huge and driving the Buggies is a blast. We still have stuff to do in that area but like other games, Dying Light got shoved down the line and sort of forgotten.

I never did complete that final but my co-op friend did and she said the same thing...that was a major PITA with that jumping....and in fact she had to quit and wait the next day because she was about to toss the controller. As she put it; felt the same frustration as in Bloodborne. Probably the reason why I didn't do it since I played Bloodborne and that game wrecked my nerves.

You'll like the Following...huge are and a total different landscape than the in town and close quarters but same insane fun with some bigger and badder enemies.

...and the deal with being booted...we experienced that quite often but we didn't lose too much but did lose a little. The thing that was annoying was when we did, sometimes we get kicked and ended up somewhere outside the safezone.....at night.
Old 02-07-18, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those still playing...hard to believe this game is 3yrs old......

Dying Light Honors 3 Year Anniversary With Month-Long Celebration

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...ent-announced/
Old 06-30-18, 10:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Just started this. Like it so far even though I can’t just blow zombies away with big fucking guns. I mostly just run away, now, again just started. But I like the structure and the quickness of movement. A little to quick imo, but nitpick. Also, bit of getting used to using right bumper and right stick. But nice controls and similar do this, do that, get stuff, level up structure of FC5. Just no guns. I think I can keep going. I definitely didn’t hate the little I played today...
Old 07-01-18, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Just started this. Like it so far even though I can’t just blow zombies away with big fucking guns. I mostly just run away, now, again just started. But I like the structure and the quickness of movement. A little to quick imo, but nitpick. Also, bit of getting used to using right bumper and right stick. But nice controls and similar do this, do that, get stuff, level up structure of FC5. Just no guns. I think I can keep going. I definitely didn’t hate the little I played today...
Read my other post in DL2....also if you do use the guns; go for the lower legs. Once down and crawling just do a face stomp....

...unlock the Grapple as quick as possible...it's your best friend

...don't underestimate the importance of "Firecrackers" and keep a nice supply of them.

...when just starting out, don't stray too far from the Safe House(s). Night is not good at first. But you get a lot better XP doing it. I think at the main Safe house starting out, you can go out those double doors but you want to kneel and not move at all. You'll get a Survive The Night something (double XP?). You can do the same in empty rooms or on top of the roofs. Just don't mess with the "Glowy's"...they're bruttal at first.

...open up other safe houses when you can....they'll come in handy and allows you to explore and gather more resources which you never have enough.

...on resources, pay attention to a couple that are vital. If you cannot find them, sell whatever you can and get them...stuff like wire, string, lighter fluid and others are needed for certain upgrades and weapons. You can never have enough resources and all can be used...not like some other games where they're useless.

....explore, explore, explore...every room and building and chest, container, etc....

...don't go too hog wild on gathering and using a lot of weapons. You might like the guns but Bladed Ones are some of the best. Get a mod, perks and craft a couple of solid ones. The bigger it is the slower but more damage. The smaller blades with some mods on there were really quick and deal a good amount. Just monitor their deterioration. Last thing you want is be in a middle and the weapon breaks down completely or using a gun too much and out of ammo. Switch up a lot.
Old 07-01-18, 11:17 AM

gotcha. thanks.
Old 07-01-18, 04:59 PM

ok, so i'm really getting into this game. still beginning, but i have one pipe and it's broken and no more repairs.

how do i get new weapons? they aren't lying around somewhere to pick up?

and you can't kill a zombie with a broken weapon? i try and try, the meter goes down, then i kick and kick and they still get up. what do i do then?
Old 07-02-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ok, so i'm really getting into this game. still beginning, but i have one pipe and it's broken and no more repairs.

how do i get new weapons? they aren't lying around somewhere to pick up?

and you can't kill a zombie with a broken weapon? i try and try, the meter goes down, then i kick and kick and they still get up. what do i do then?
Besides the Grapple (unlock soon and fast) lock picking skills are needed. Weapons along with other goodies (usually Health Packs, Mods, resources and Weapons) are found in chests inside buildings but also the trunks of cars especially Police ones. Ambulances have health packs.

One Crucial Tip...you need to put a point in the Survival Tree "The Survivor Starter Kit"....this will allow you to craft the basic stuff...like Lock Picks and Firecrackers you need to keep a decent supply of them. Some Trunks and chests are harder to open than others but have better rewards. Being solo...you need those Firecrackers to toss to distract and get the zombies off your back while picking locks.

Second Crucial Tip....collect all the metal weapons (and other items) you can and sell & break down for metal parts. You'll need them. Just remember though if a weapon is totally broken, it's not going to fetch much of nothing. Early on you'll get plenty of Greens and some blues but sell & breakdown as much as you can while keeping a handfull that covers range....you want some good close quick ones, a medium, a heavy and a ranged like a rifle or good pistol.....by the way, the pistol comes in handy shooting gas cans you lay for traps. Look for gas cans and put them in the street, get on roof, throw firecrackers near the gas cans and get as many zombies you can in the area...great for one of those big dudes with the sledge....and shoot the cans....good for a few cars in the area to: they'll blow up.
Old 07-02-18, 09:23 AM

thanks. great advice. with the lockpicking...is there a fool proof way to pick. i've gotten like 2 open and break the rest. i feel the resistance and then pull back, but can hardly ever get both of them to coincide...
Old 07-02-18, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks. great advice. with the lockpicking...is there a fool proof way to pick. i've gotten like 2 open and break the rest. i feel the resistance and then pull back, but can hardly ever get both of them to coincide...
Not really....no matter how many times you do it, just some are tougher. It's really about patience and having the feel. Just take it slowwww.....I know some had a very, very narrow sweet spot. The moment you even get the slightest tingle back off and go the other way.....hence make lots and lots of Picks & Firecrackers....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.