Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: PC Gaming Thread

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1478.26
  • Games owned: 83
  • Games not played: 21
  • Percentage: 25%
  • Hours spent: 1,066.6h

Not as bad as I thought over the course of 3 years. About 350 hours and $500 a year.
Old 01-04-14, 01:46 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Games owned 74
Games not played 35 (47%)
Hours spent 575.2h
Account worth $1334.40
Old 01-04-14, 02:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
All those games and only 69 hours played?
I bet I own 3000 games and, if you subtract Kingdom Rush, played 50 hours last year.
Old 01-04-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1244.27
  • Games owned: 82
  • Games not played: 51
  • Percentage: 62%
  • Hours spent: 524.7h

My actual cost was probably 15-20% of the Worth value. Also the unplayed % is a bit high because I just bought a dozen games.

The great thing about having such a backlog is that I have no problem waiting for new games to go on sale.
Old 01-10-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was released yesterday (Currently $29.99, though it was like $17 a week ago pre-order).

Konami has admitted there is an "Always Online DRM Bug" that has been fixed, and I guess a patch should be pushed out soon if it hasn't already which restores off-line gameplay. The game is also currently resolution locked to a maximum of 1080p, though workarounds are available and there seem to be suggestions going around that Konami may patch it up to 4K in the future.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tUVkzZaiOi0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-14-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Banner Saga release is today:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FbIH0vS9AG4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

$20 currently on Steam (pre-order for the next 45 minutes).

Additionally, Valve has launched a Steam for 3D headsets mode ahead of their Dev conference.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/14/va...ev-days-event/

Also, if you did the Kickstarter for Broken Age, Part I should be available today.
Old 01-15-14, 07:54 AM

That game looks pretty sweet, I love the hand drawn animation style. Any good?
Old 01-15-14, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It has roughly an 81% average thus far:

http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/74485...aga/index.html

Word of warning to anyone doing the "Game Console" setup with their computer, Battlefield 4 still has gimped controller support. Just tossing that out there.

Need For Speed: Rivals, however, works like a damn dream.
Old 01-22-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD Edition coming to Steam on Feb 27th.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/22/re...n-february-27/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3waXAcZibpI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Even though it runs in 1080p at 60 fps, it still looks painfully dated by this point (not surprising, it's 9 years old), was still hoping for some kind of touch up.

Games for Windows Live is shutting down on July 1st ( http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/19/ga...m-their-games/ )

Fallout 3, Bioshock 2, the Arkham games, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet and Toy Soldiers have removed it already from their titles.

Super Street Fighter IV / SSFIV Arcade Edition, DiRT 3, F1 2010, F1 2011, Red Faction Guerrilla and Ms. Explosion Man will be replacing GFWL with Steam or other solutions.

Namco Bandai are "exploring options" to removing GFWL from Dark Souls and Ace Combat: Assault Horizon.

Dead Rising and Lost Planet games, Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter X Tekken, Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising and Red River, Iron Brigade, Fable 3, Gears of War, Halo 2, Blacklight: Tango Down and quite a lot of other games currently have "no plans" to remove GFWL.

----------

GTA V has begun popping up again on Amazon websites overseas. It's still anticipated to be released before the end of March.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-22-14 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-22-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been a console gamer my entire life so I have to post this.

I finally decided on a monitor a few weeks ago but never got around to posting impressions. My tower that I posted pics of a page or so back has been waiting a while to play some games on. I finally went with the Asus 1440p monitor instead of three 1080p monitors. WOW!!!! First game I played was Bioshock, which is what 6-7 years old? Quality was amazing. Going to be hard to go back to consoles now.
Old 01-22-14, 03:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've also decided to migrate more into PC gaming, although I will still get a PS4 to take full advantage of my PS+ sub and system exclusives. I already had a tower, so I hooked it up to my TV, and ordered a wireless dongle for my 360 controller.
Old 01-22-14, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The wireless dongle works surprisingly well. In many games you can turn the controller on during the game and it'll automatically map out the controls and change all the in-game icons to correspond to it.

Just don't expect much out of Battlefield 4. EA = assholes.
Old 01-22-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've actually had the 360 dongle for a few years and it just sat here waiting for me to build a computer. I have to say getting used to using a keyboard and mouse is the biggest issue for me but it's not as hard as I thought it would be.
Old 01-22-14, 04:33 PM
Banned by request

I've tried keyboard and mouse setups and they've always diminished the fun factor for me. I like controllers. I realize that this would make me less proficient in multiplayer settings, but I don't do multiplayer, so that's not an issue for me.
Old 01-22-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I use a kb+m at work all the time, it's the last thing I want to interact with when I get home.

Thankfully, the Xbox 360 controller is a great controller, and I'm glad so many people implement the controls natively in their games now.

Here's 8 minutes of Elder Scrolls Online:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hfpYnehJ5TE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-22-14, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the wireless dongle and 360 controller and use it for a few things, but I still love the keyboard and mouse for a lot of games. And I'll always prefer it for first person shooters, but then again I grew up playing PC games so i'm used to it as an input device for anything and everything. I guess working in IT and being in front of a computer 12+ hours a day helps too, as does working at PC gaming companies the last 9 years.

Last edited by fumanstan; 01-22-14 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Banner Saga release is today:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FbIH0vS9AG4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

$20 currently on Steam (pre-order for the next 45 minutes).

Additionally, Valve has launched a Steam for 3D headsets mode ahead of their Dev conference.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/14/va...ev-days-event/

Also, if you did the Kickstarter for Broken Age, Part I should be available today.
God this guy is a class a prick:

Candy Crush dev now trying to block Banner Saga trademark

Candy Crush Saga developer King is playing hardball. Early this week we learned King successfully trademarked the word "Candy" in the US as it pertains to videogames (and clothing!). It already owns the "Candy" trademark in Europe. It proceeded to strong arm developers with "Candy" in their app name to change titles.

Now it is going after games that use the word "Saga," including the lovely, recently released The Banner Saga, Venture Beat reports. When independent Banner Saga developer Stoic went to file a trademark for its game, King filed an opposition.

King's response, below, was to basically admit the opposition makes no sense, instead looking to future boogeymen.

King has not and is not trying to stop Banner Saga from using its name. We do not have any concerns that Banner Saga is trying build on our brand or our content. However, like any prudent company, we need to take all appropriate steps to protect our IP, both now and in the future.

In this case, that means preserving our ability to enforce our rights in cases where other developers may try to use the Saga mark in a way which infringes our IP rights and causes player confusion. If we had not opposed Banner Saga’s trade mark application, it would be much easier for real copy cats to argue that their use of ‘Saga’ was legitimate.

This is an important issue for King because we already have a series of games where ‘Saga’ is key to the brand which our players associate with a King game; Candy Crush Saga, Bubble Witch Saga, Pet Rescue Saga, Farm Heroes Saga and so on. All of these titles have already faced substantive trademark and copyright issues with clones.

King admits it doesn't "have any concerns" about brand confusion in this statement, but is opposing -- and screwing over a small, indie team -- Banner Saga merely to set precedent. Of course, the legal opposition filing says otherwise, hilariously stating, "The Banner Saga mark is confusingly and deceptively similar to Opposer’s previously used Saga Marks," and "is likely to cause confusion or to cause mistake or deception in the trade, and among purchasers and potential purchasers."

Because someone searching for Candy Crush Saga might mistake a Disney-looking viking strategy RPG for a game about crushing candies. Given the use of the fairly extensive use of the word "Saga" as it relates to videogames, this makes even less sense than King's "Candy" dominion, and strains credulity in the "just protecting their trademark as US laws dictate" argument.

Stoic co-founder Alex Thomas responded in a statement:

Two years ago, the three of us at Stoic set out to make an epic viking game: The Banner Saga. We did, and people loved it, so we’re making another one. We won’t make a viking saga without the word Saga, and we don’t appreciate anyone telling us we can’t. King.com claims they’re not attempting to prevent us from using The Banner Saga, and yet their legal opposition to our trademark filing remains. We’re humbled by the outpouring of support and honored to have others stand with us for the right to their own Saga. We just want to make great games.

The Banner Saga developer responds to Candy Crush Saga studio’s attempt to block its trademark [Venture Beat]

http://www.destructoid.com/candy-cru...k-269383.phtml
Old 01-22-14, 06:15 PM
Banned by request

King.com is trying to intimidate others. This wouldn't stand up in a court of law.
Old 01-22-14, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 460 Posts

I hope those games eventually go away. I get annoyed getting requests on FaceBook to play them.
Old 01-24-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD Edition coming to Steam on Feb 27th.
Comparison screenshots.

http://kotaku.com/resident-evil-4-pc...-hd-1508106771

I never did finish playing this on PS2. This seems like a game i'd pick up when its $5 on Steam
Old 01-24-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Was going to post that, looks lousy but that was to be expected - it's 9 years old and they're using the same poly count.
Old 01-24-14, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dead Rising and Lost Planet games, Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter X Tekken, Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising and Red River, Iron Brigade, Fable 3, Gears of War, Halo 2, Blacklight: Tango Down and quite a lot of other games currently have "no plans" to remove GFWL.
Does that mean they won't play at all, do they require a connection to the GFWL server to start?

EDIT: I thought Capcom was patching it out in all their games, did this change at some point?

http://www.destructoid.com/capcom-to...s-263817.phtml

Last edited by msdmoney; 01-24-14 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-24-14, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone following Star Citizen's development? I don't have a gaming PC, but if they can pull off what they're attempting, I might just have to build one!
Old 01-27-14, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by bdshort
Anyone following Star Citizen's development? I don't have a gaming PC, but if they can pull off what they're attempting, I might just have to build one!
Yeah, as one of the flagship titles supporting Oculus Rift, I'm very excited for it. Very ambitious scope. Unfortunately it's still a few years out.
Old 01-27-14, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Need for Speed: Rivals is $18.18 on Amazon right now, I think it's part of the Editors Choice thing so maybe as low as $13.18.

It was a half-assed release (no wheel support, only supports the Xbox 360 controller, 30 fps frame lock) but I still highly recommend it. It's a hell of a lot of fun, especially considering it costs about as much as a downloadable Arcade game these days, and is one of the best looking PC games out there (it got me interested in some older NFS titles, Most Wanted looks horrible by comparison, same goes for Grid 2). Just be sure you have a 360 controller.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.