Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Old 08-12-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

I didn't even think about it coming out against Uncharted. Things make a lot more sense now.
Old 08-12-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
This seems to be Microsoft's new strategy for exclusivity : Why establish your own gaming studios that will employ hundreds which can churn out exclusive IPs for your brand (like Uncharted, inFamous, God of War, Gears of War or Halo) when instead you can just throw lots of money at another huge company like EA or Crystal Dynamics and just keep them from bringing their already-in-development games to other gaming platforms? Why create when you can extort instead?
This is far from extortion... and why does MS do this? Because they can. Should you be mad at MS or the game companies "selling their souls"?
Old 08-12-14, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Should you be mad at MS or the game companies "selling their souls"?
Both.
Old 08-12-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Okay maybe extortion isn't the right word.
What would you call giving money to an outside company to quash their already-in development game from coming to a rival console? Whatever the correct term is, it isn't good for consumers. I'm glad Nintendo and Sony are still interested in making their own franchises and original games rather than just trying to stifle the competition with bribe money.
Old 08-12-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Did no one game before the last two console generations? Third party exclusives were EVERYWHERE. There were hundreds of them.
Yeah, while I understand the typical internet gamer outrage over this it really isn't anything new.

I think i've argued it before, but at the end of the day whether Microsoft (or whomever) foots the bill to start up a new studio or pays an existing studio for some sort of exclusivity, the end result is the same. I personally don't see a significant different between new IP's versus an established one for this sort of thing either, since no matter what a portion of gamers lose. And it seems like Sony has been leading the charge on a lot of their own exclusives or special content from third party developers so far this generation too, without much outrage.
Old 08-12-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

Okay maybe extortion isn't the right word.
What would you call giving money to an outside company to quash their already-in development game from coming to a rival console? Whatever the correct term is, it isn't good for consumers. I'm glad Nintendo and Sony are still interested in making their own franchises and original games rather than just trying to stifle the competition with bribe money.
there is a term for this. it is called business.
Old 08-12-14, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Should you be mad at MS or the game companies "selling their souls"?
I'm not mad at either of them. They both probably did what they had to do.

CD probably needed the cash and probably thought that being an exclusive would give the game a little more exposure, and MS needed to do something to move some consoles, because the XB1 is getting killed.

It's obviously a win for MS (depending on what they paid), but it's questionable how good it is for TR or CD over the long term, because I don't think they needed the exposure nearly as much as MS needed an exclusive.
Old 08-12-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
there is a term for this. it is called business.
In my business, we call it an HMO model. And it tends to suck.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think i've argued it before, but at the end of the day whether Microsoft (or whomever) foots the bill to start up a new studio or pays an existing studio for some sort of exclusivity, the end result is the same.
You don't see a difference between making a new game exclusive and paying some company to stop the already-in development port of a sequel of their popular franchise? The end result of the former is that a new game gets created. The end result of the latter is that people with an XO get the game they were always going to be getting anyway and people with only a PS4 get deprived of a game they were expecting; getting coerced into buying another console if they want to play this game.
Personally I see a distinction between the two.
Old 08-12-14, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

PS4 players aren't deprived of anything. they can always buy an Xbox One and play it. it's not like someone is paying the company to make the game go away forever.
Old 08-12-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Well I hope CD got a bundle out of this deal because by the time this game hits there could be over 16-18 million PS4's sold...that's a lot of TR copies in lost sales. But if Uncharted 4 hits for PS4 owners and plus we have The Order:1886 and Bloodborne coming out first part of next year then fine...
Old 08-12-14, 12:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I've always felt that the sales results for Tomb Raider were "disappointing" because they were hedging everything on the multiplayer, so they needed blockbuster numbers in order to recoup those costs and sell lots of DLC. This was compounded by the fact that the multiplayer sucked and nobody played it.

Had they just released a single-player game and didn't sink any money into multiplayer I think they would have been much happier with the sales.

I wonder if there is a lot more people playing multiplayer on the Xbox platforms, and that was a contributing factor to the exclusivity deal?
Old 08-12-14, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You don't see a difference between making a new game exclusive and paying some company to stop the already-in development port of a sequel of their popular franchise? The end result of the former is that a new game gets created. The end result of the latter is that people with an XO get the game they were always going to be getting anyway and people with only a PS4 get deprived of a game they were expecting; getting coerced into buying another console if they want to play this game.
Personally I see a distinction between the two.
Not really, but it depends on the circumstance. As someone that was recently part of a start up video game development studio that failed because of lack of funding, I imagine I have a different perspective then a lot of you though. Without knowing the development cycle and how far along Crystal Dynamics was in to a PS4 port, or knowing their budget and monetary situation, you don't really know the circumstances. What if Microsoft's money gives Crystal a bigger budget and allows them to finish their game faster by concentrating on one version? Or allows them to add additional staff through the rest of the production? Or prevents cutting staff, giving Square-Enix's chatter about the first release disappointing in sales?

Do you hate say, From Software, for Bloodborne being a Playstation exclusive despite Dark Souls finding its way to both consoles? Is it only okay to throw money at a studio early in development, but not half way through? Titanfall was most certainly working on different versions early on, but became Xbox exclusive. Will you swear off Respawn because of it? Either way the end result of any exclusive is getting coerced in to buying a console, is it not?
Old 08-12-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
PS4 players aren't deprived of anything. they can always buy an Xbox One and play it. it's not like someone is paying the company to make the game go away forever.
Meh. This is just the blu ray vs hd dvd all over again.
Old 08-12-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Meh. This is just the blu ray vs hd dvd all over again.
And Blu-ray vs HD-DVD was the console wars all over again. I don't get your circular logic. When did you start playing video games?
Old 08-12-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

It's a good thing though, at least they can put all their effort in getting the best possible product out, unlike the Xbox One version of Tomb Raider which was kind of shit compared to the PS4 counterpart.
Old 08-12-14, 12:53 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I loved the reboot...and I think I am one of the few that actually liked it more than the uncharted games...
Old 08-12-14, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

I thought the gameplay was much better than the Uncharted games, it was more open and combat was actually fun, but the story and characters weren't as strong.
Old 08-12-14, 12:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I loved the reboot...and I think I am one of the few that actually liked it more than the uncharted games...
Old 08-12-14, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I loved the reboot but it was weird how as a game character Lara was a pretty much a full on ass kicker while in the story she's a survivor surviving and struggling to do it.
Old 08-12-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts

From a business model perspective it is typical to hire (ie outsource or buy labor) from a developed organization because you don't often incur overhead costs attributed to floor space, hiring, HR, equipment and health care. I can't say with certainty that this is the case for MS "buying" the exclusive rights to TR2 - but not only does it screw Sony (which is the end game) but it is actually cheaper than developing their own "in house" talent. Never mind the fact that Tomb Raider is a 20 year old franchise with a huge following.
Old 08-12-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey cool! Rise of the Tomb Raider. Looking forward to playing this one, as I enjoyed the reboot!
Old 08-12-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the comments in this thread

I also loved the Tomb Raider reboot, and also repurchased it on PS4, so it sucks that this one is an exclusive. Hope everyone loves playing it in 720p

In all seriousness, I fully expect Tomb Raider and Uncharted to drop on the same day. Obviously Sony has nothing to lose, and if anything, it might even prevent this type of thing happening in the future. If Crystal Dynamics thought the first one undersold with their over realistic sales predictions, just wait until this one comes out. This might be enough to kill the series again.
Old 08-12-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
I thought the gameplay was much better than the Uncharted games, it was more open and combat was actually fun, but the story and characters weren't as strong.
Agreed, story and characters were incredibly weak outside of Lara. I liked Tomb Raider better then all but Uncharted 2.
Old 08-12-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247

In all seriousness, I fully expect Tomb Raider and Uncharted to drop on the same day.
I don't. One or both will get delayed at some point, so who knows if they will even come out during the same season, let alone on the same day.
Old 08-12-14, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I liked Tomb Raider better then all but Uncharted 2.
Same here, but I give the first Uncharted a pass for being sort of a prototype for the genre. It was a very early PS3 game (2007).

As far as I'm concerned, Uncharted 2 is among the best games of last gen and is neck and neck with Last of Us for the best game Naughty Dog has ever made.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.