Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
re: Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

/s
Old 11-30-15, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Just wrapped it up. Nothing mind blowing but still a great game. I just wish they'd work tombs into the narrative of the game and not leave them for bonus XP grabs.
I just finished it tonight. I disagree about the Tombs. I'm fine with them being optional. They work fine that way and I love that each gives you a new upgrade. They're well worth seeking out and you can do them any time you like (though some required later items to enter).

I did not care at all for the story. I thought it was stupid and slight. It kind of reminded me of Temple of Doom where a beloved protagonist stumbles upon a secret cult and starts searching for an ancient religious relic that the bad guys want. This story has none of the urgency of the first one. I was kind of disappointed in this one.

The exploring was really fun. Love the hunting with arrows. Shooting is pretty fun too. I failed to see why we keep having to upgrade the weapons -- after a while they're already strong enough to take out any enemies. Then during the big final battle there are too many to really use the special weapons and stuff you've been stockpiling -- I ended up beating the final wave of baddies in the cheapest fashion possible (hiding behind a corner and creating a big pile of bodies when they all came up to get me). The final "Boss" battle was a huge disappointment and even easier than the last Tomb Raider final battle.
Speaking of which, didn't Lara finally learn how to dual-wield handguns at the end of the last game? Wish we could have had a little of that here.

Also didn't like how you could choose between different sorts of rifles and pistols but can only switch at Base Camps. Since you never know what sort of enemies you are going to encounter, I ended up just using the base model all the time instead of experimenting between them. Never even fired the bolt rifle.

Last edited by Decker; 11-30-15 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-30-15, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Finished this last night as well. Agreed about the story... which is a shame. But aside from that, I loved everything else about this game. Took about 32 hours to finish up the main story (and it says I'm only 83% done). Looking forward to going back in and cleaning up achievements and whatnot.
Old 11-30-15, 09:46 AM

Hey, I found your backpack mid-game! No idea what those credits are or the card packs are for, but I did think it was cool that while hunting for collectables, I found one left by an online Friend.
Old 11-30-15, 10:05 AM

One other thing that bothered me : Items in that Black Market shed are way too expensive. To play the long game to story completion, hunt for every collectable, buy nothing all game there except a pistol silencer and still not have enough money to buy either one upgraded gun or the Upgrade tool? I suppose I'll get some more money from that lady after I raid the last tomb, but by that point why would I need a better gun when my current ones are way too overpowered for the random soldier encounters that are all that's left. Besides if you're Achievement hunting, I suppose you have to buy the stupid Upgrade tool instead to unlock the final upgrade tier in your weapons.
Old 12-03-15, 06:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

can someone give me some simple tips to defeat
Spoiler:
the bear
in the beginning? thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-15, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Poison arrows, run around shoot with regular arrows.
Old 12-03-15, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Poison arrows, run around shoot with regular arrows.
how many does it take? i had like 2 or 3 poison shot in face, but then ran out of arrows...
Old 12-03-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Probably 2 poison and 5 to 8 regular arrows
Old 12-03-15, 07:07 PM

ok. thanks Def. i thought i was supposed to knife him or something since i ran out of arrows pretty quick...
Old 12-03-15, 07:29 PM

3 poison arrows in the face will do it.

Once he charges you, back up until he rears back on his hind legs. He won't venture farther than that point and you can get some cheap shots in.

If he knocks you down, do that Quicktime event and press the Y button at the right time. Not only will you escape, but you'll counter him and maybe even deal the death blow.

and seriously, OldBoy
Spoiler:
I can't believe you're still stuck at that part!
Old 12-03-15, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3npvOj8eKp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-04-15, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Baba Yaga Trailer is awesome. DLC looks freaking amazing.
Old 12-11-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

New update for the game is out - http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=182991

Patch Number: 2
Platform: Xbox One
Issue Date: 12/11/15
Notes:

New Content
Endurance Mode – Available Dec. 29th
Alone and in the wild, Lara must scrounge, scavenge, craft and survive the harsh elements by day, as well as lethal threats from enemies, both man and beast, by night. This is her ultimate woman-versus-wild test to push the limits of how long she can survive on her own in a sprawling, unforgiving landscapes. Fire takes fuel, cold kills the unprepared, food restores health, but everything must be caught, collected, or crafted. You start with nothing and must find everything. Challenge friends to your longest survival run and battle to the top of the leaderboards for the title of Ultimate Survivor. Includes a new outfit and weapon.

Bug Fixes

Major Issue Fixes
Prevented a save corruption issue that was causing players to be stuck in the Acropolis or Flooded Archives.
Fixed issue that caused cinematics to become non-responsive when the console language was set to Dutch.
Fixed a crash that could occur if the title was started after installing the patch but before the full game was installed.
Fixed an issue where the player could run out of pistol ammo and not reload correctly when attacked by a Deathless soldier.
Prevented an issue in the Acropolis where the player becomes unable to crawl under a door after backtracking.

Gameplay / Progression Fixes
Miscellaneous stability / crash fixes.
Prevented a rare issue where the player would become stuck in the Research Base when backtracking.
Fixed an issue that was causing the crank in the Voice of God tomb to become non-functional.
Prevented an issue where the second trebuchet could become stuck in its locked position after leaving the area.
Fixed an issue where the third trebuchet became inaccessible due to the swinging object being out of position.
Fixed an issue that caused the player model to distort in limited circumstances.
Fixed a rare issue where the player would become stuck after throwing a portable object and healing.
Fixed an issue where the Ancient Quiver would disappear after dying with the Adventurer's Quiver equipped.
Added additional safety checks in the Chamber of Exorcism tomb to prevent physics errors on the puzzle object.
Fixed a rare issue in the Soviet Installation that caused level geometry to disappear (Xbox 360).

Minor Gameplay Bug Fixes
Miscellaneous texture / lighting fixes.
Removed patch of invisible flame that was hurting players in the Copper Mill.
Fixed an issue that was preventing animals from respawning in the Siberian Wilderness.
Moved a supply crate in the Hunting Grounds so that it can be looted easier.
Prevented battle music from retriggering after backtracking to the beginning of the Copper Mill.
Fixed an issue where the big cats would ragdoll erroneously after a takedown.
Fixed an issue with the Immortal Guardian outfit not granting proper fire resistance.
Fixed an issue that would cause the player to occasionally face the wrong direction after planting a Piton Arrow.
Fixed an animation pop that would occur near the end of the tower climb in Kitezh.

Remnant Resistance Fixes
Fixed an issue where user created missions would not save if two or more of the same objectives were used.
General improvements to wolf navigation.
Fixed an issue where NPCs could become stuck in place after hit reacting to an exploding generator.
Fixed an erroneous message in Targeted Strike if the player had the Efficient Killer skill.
Miscellaneous shadow and detail improvements.
Fixed an issue with some German subtitles not appearing during voice-overs.

Marketplace / Card Fixes
Fixed an issue that prevented Gift Pack names from displaying correctly after switching the in-game language.
Fixed an issue that caused the Hydrophobic and Efficient Mining challenges to display times incorrectly.
Fixed typo in the Mission Win gift pact description.
Disabled use of the Grip card in the Lost City.
Adjusted rarity of Compound Bow V to 5 stars.
Adjusted multiplier of Bolt Action Rifle 3 and Bolt Action Rifle 4.
Adjusted rarity of Compound Bow V to 5 stars.
Adjusted rarity of Infiltrator: Master to 5 stars.
Adjusted multiplier of the Hunter III card.
Adjusted modifiers for the Hunter I and Hunter II cards.
Adjusted modifiers for the Tool Belt and Tool Chest cards.

Other / Misc. Fixes
Several weapon categories have been renamed to better reflect their modification effects.
Removed placeholder images in the base camp for skills granted by challenge tombs.
Fixed an issue that was displaying an erroneous count of collectibles in the Broadcast Frame.
Fixed localization error in Polish when traversing in the Research Base.
Fixed missing subtitle in Lat. Am. Spanish during the ending cinematic.
Fixed picture for the Shrapnel Grenade Crafting in Survival Guide.
Fixed merged name issue in the forum credits.
Also, NPD numbers came out and the word is this did pretty bad in sales. Exclusivity and bad release date timing didn't bode well. While losing a big chunk of Sony sales is bad, I'm surprised more XBox One owners didn't pick this up but I think everyone is too busy playing Fallout, Halo, or Call of Duty.
Old 12-11-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Hopefully the money MS forked over for exclusive rights more than offsets the poor sales. I hope publishers will stray from this practice going forward --- especially when the #1 selling system isn't represented right out the gate. And let's face it, this hasn't been the strongest Tomb Raider entry so many PS4 owners will pass or wait for a sale.
Old 12-11-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rob V
And let's face it, this hasn't been the strongest Tomb Raider entry so many PS4 owners will pass or wait for a sale.
I'm not sure what you mean, I think most people have agreed it's better then the last game which itself was a GOTY candidate. I don't think it's blowing anyone away as a must have system seller, but it's a very, very good game and easily one of the best games of the year.
Old 12-11-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not finished with it yet, but I've been enjoying it more than the last game.

Best Buy has it on sale next week. $39.99 ($31.99 w/ GCU). Just outside of the price match window
Old 12-11-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

And when it does come out on PS4, it'll have to compete against Uncharted.
Old 12-11-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why? Because they come out in the same year?
Old 12-11-15, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm not sure what you mean, I think most people have agreed it's better then the last game which itself was a GOTY candidate. I don't think it's blowing anyone away as a must have system seller, but it's a very, very good game and easily one of the best games of the year.
I agree with that. It's mostly more of the same, but it's still really good stuff and I enjoyed the hell out of it.
Old 12-11-15, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read that it didn't even make the top 20. I wonder how happy the people running SE are since they were supposedly unhappy with the sales of the previous game.

I've seen a number of PS4 owners who are quite angry at SE. November of next year will likely have many other options. This hasn't been a major hit. All of these factors could lead to disappointing sales when it releases on PS4.
Old 12-11-15, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by bippitty
I've read that it didn't even make the top 20.
Really? Even with the bundle counting? That's pretty bad. Shame since it's a really good product. I knew going XO exclusive was a big mistake.
Old 12-11-15, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

NPD doesn't count bundles or digital, but the bundle was also only exclusive to Best Buy and Microsoft Store so while it probably contributed to some more sales it probably wasn't exactly a huge difference. Especially given the other bundles out there that didn't affect Fallout 4, Black Ops 3, or Halo 5 charting.

I still think its kind of silly for people to get mad about the exclusivity, but I've argued my point enough earlier in this thread That said, it obviously was a terrible move. Although even if there was a PS4 version out right now, I still feel like the release date was a huge mistake. All the hype the last month seems to be around Fallout or Battlefront, and Call of Duty and Halo are obvious mainstays.
Old 12-12-15, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Soo, I've been playing this for the last couple weeks and am about 35% in. It's a great game but it's too early to say if I like it more than the first game. There's certainly more to collect which is a double edge sword. It gives me more time in the game/environment, but it's bordering on too much.

I fell in love with the linguistics aspect of the game given the world travel nature of these games. I thought it was a fresh idea but other than the first hour or so, I've yet to run across anything I couldn't decipher this late in the game. Tying your linguistics to collecting relics was a mistake. It's just too easy to find the relics and up your linguistic level so it's never an issue. Great idea, but I feel like it was a missed opportunity. I'm imagining more of a Metroidvania style use of it where you can't decipher something that clues you into a hidden tomb/area or door that you would have to come back to later in the game once you improve your language skills.

Also, like the last game, there too much of an emphasis on upgrading your weapons. Bow and pistols. That's all I want. The bow is too fun and when things get too intense I whip out the pistol.

Lastly, I hate crafting ammo. I "get it," but it's still a video game. Give me unlimited standard arrows and pistol ammo. Leave the crafting to special ammo like poison arrows.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I still think its kind of silly for people to get mad about the exclusivity,
When it's exclusive to the 2nd place console and you are cutting out over 30 million potential customers, it matters. Fortunately it's a strong franchise that isn't going anywhere despite a bump in the road. The release date was extremely shortsighted (that's on MS). They should have held it until Spring.

I also don't buy into the "this wouldn't have been made w/o MS" line. Bullshit. Lara is up there with Mario and Master Chief. There will always be a new Tomb Raider game. I think Square Enix's expectations are either out of whack or they need better number crunchers. I mean if they didn't make money on the last TR that sold 8m copies then they need better money managers or need to set a realistic budget on a game like this.

I think we'll eventually see SE sell off TR and hopefully a better company picks it up. It'd be nice if Crystal Dynamics went with it as they clearly know what they're doing.
Old 12-12-15, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Soo, I've been playing this for the last couple weeks and am about 35% in. It's a great game but it's too early to say if I like it more than the first game. There's certainly more to collect which is a double edge sword. It gives me more time in the game/environment, but it's bordering on too much.

I fell in love with the linguistics aspect of the game given the world travel nature of these games. I thought it was a fresh idea but other than the first hour or so, I've yet to run across anything I couldn't decipher this late in the game. Tying your linguistics to collecting relics was a mistake. It's just too easy to find the relics and up your linguistic level so it's never an issue. Great idea, but I feel like it was a missed opportunity. I'm imagining more of a Metroidvania style use of it where you can't decipher something that clues you into a hidden tomb/area or door that you would have to come back to later in the game once you improve your language skills.

Also, like the last game, there too much of an emphasis on upgrading your weapons. Bow and pistols. That's all I want. The bow is too fun and when things get too intense I whip out the pistol.

Lastly, I hate crafting ammo. I "get it," but it's still a video game. Give me unlimited standard arrows and pistol ammo. Leave the crafting to special ammo like poison arrows.
I think there were only a copy of the deciphering monoliths that I couldn't translate until later, I agree those were way too easy to find. There are certainly enough other puzzles that require items you don't get later, as far as the Metroidvania style you're talking about though.

Even then there's an emphasis on crafting and upgrading, I never thought the upgrades were that necessary either. They never felt like any of my stuff was significantly better. As for ammo, I honestly pick up enough of the standard stuff later in the game that I'm almost always maxed out it seems.

When it's exclusive to the 2nd place console and you are cutting out over 30 million potential customers, it matters. Fortunately it's a strong franchise that isn't going anywhere despite a bump in the road. The release date was extremely shortsighted (that's on MS). They should have held it until Spring.

I also don't buy into the "this wouldn't have been made w/o MS" line. Bullshit. Lara is up there with Mario and Master Chief. There will always be a new Tomb Raider game. I think Square Enix's expectations are either out of whack or they need better number crunchers. I mean if they didn't make money on the last TR that sold 8m copies then they need better money managers or need to set a realistic budget on a game like this.

I think we'll eventually see SE sell off TR and hopefully a better company picks it up. It'd be nice if Crystal Dynamics went with it as they clearly know what they're doing.
It doesn't really matter if you're the first, second, or third place console, either way you cut out millions of customers. My point on exclusivity wasn't with regards to sales, but mostly with the outrage people still hang on to towards Microsoft. And i've argued a lot earlier in this thread that I think that grudge towards a business practice that's common to all companies is misguided and short sighted as someone that actually works in the video game industry and has seen first hand from a small studio stand point what funding and business deals, or lack there of, can do.

Also, I don't think i've heard anyone said this game wouldn't get made without Microsoft. I know that's the excuse i've heard with games like Street Fighter V though. One may need the money more then the other, but either way you're talking about a publisher or company investing money upfront to help a studio in many ways. Something like this was going to get made anyway, but that doesn't mean a deal doesn't help significantly with development. Anyway, I've said plenty about it in this thread like I mentioned earlier so my position hasn't really changed, shitty sales or not.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-12-15 at 09:50 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.