Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Old 08-12-14, 09:09 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts
re: Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One now, PS4 on 10/11/16)

Originally Posted by Decker
This seems to be Microsoft's new strategy for exclusivity : Why establish your own gaming studios that will employ hundreds which can churn out exclusive IPs for your brand (like Uncharted, inFamous, God of War, Gears of War or Halo) when instead you can just throw lots of money at another huge company like EA or Crystal Dynamics and just keep them from bringing their already-in-development games to other gaming platforms? Why create when you can extort instead?
While I agree with this sentiment, they're also kind of stuck. Maybe they are working on building their own studios to make games(doubtful, but you never know...), but with the way MS works (see: inefficiently, in nearly every department), maybe they can't get anything out there for a few more years. Buying 3rd party exclusives is literally their only way to remain competitive at this point in time.

I'm not saying it's right, but what else would we expect them to do right now?
Old 08-12-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
This seems to be Microsoft's new strategy for exclusivity : Why establish your own gaming studios that will employ hundreds which can churn out exclusive IPs for your brand (like Uncharted, inFamous, God of War, Gears of War or Halo) when instead you can just throw lots of money at another huge company like EA or Crystal Dynamics and just keep them from bringing their already-in-development games to other gaming platforms? Why create when you can extort instead?
New? Really?

Megaton though, for sure. Congrats to Xbox fans, though you really didn't get anything you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Looks like Uncharted vs Tomb Raider, Fall 2015
Old 08-12-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Oh man is the net pissed. No PC version either it appears.
Old 08-12-14, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't even consider Tomb Raider a system seller at this point... very unlikely to change the landscape with this one as an exclusive, but Microsoft's gotta do what they gotta do I guess.
Old 08-12-14, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
New? Really?

Megaton though, for sure. Congrats to Xbox fans, though you really didn't get anything you wouldn't have had otherwise.

yes we do. we get to watch the internet explode in outrage.
Old 08-12-14, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
New? Really?

Uncharted will win by a landslide. Uncharted will sell systems. Tomb Raider may sell a few but its not a system seller like Titanfall, Halo, or Uncharted.
Old 08-12-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What sucks though is if it under performs (again) we get to hear the excuse about a female lead isn't a game seller rather than being exclusive.
Old 08-12-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
yes we do. we get to watch the internet explode in outrage.
Quoted for gross.
Old 08-12-14, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Oh man is the net pissed. No PC version either it appears.
Let's rebuild this franchise and destory it, all in the course of a year

I'm sure the game will be great, but I agree it won't be a big system seller.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-12-14 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-12-14, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Let's rebuild this franchise and destory it, all in the course of a year
I'd guess that the sales pitch was "We'll foot the bill for production, and you can be Xbox's Uncharted". It might get some traction for Xbox, but you're right, it's probably a net negative (and maybe a huge one) for the Tomb Raider franchise.

Unless they are just cash starved, which is possible, or the MS money was amazing, I can't figure out how the math could possibly add up. Didn't Tomb Raider Definitive sell something like 3:1 worldwide on PS4 vs XB1?

Hopefully word comes out that it's timed or on PC, because if it's not, I simply won't play it.
Old 08-12-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Is anyone expecting this to be a system seller? It isn't like the last one lit up the charts by any means.

While it may have been a critical hit, it was not exactly a sales hit. I can see why any company would want exclusivity if it means a significant chunk of change that won't require them to sell more games.

I mean, if they had CoD or GTA like numbers, then exclusivity would be a ridiculous move. But this franchise is not like that.
Old 08-12-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is anyone expecting this to be a system seller? It isn't like the last one lit up the charts by any means.
You don't pay for an exclusive if you don't expect it to move systems, so I'm assuming somebody at Microsoft thinks it will be. Considering the current sales stats, that is the name of the game.
Old 08-12-14, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk God

You don't pay for an exclusive if you don't expect it to move systems, so I'm assuming somebody at Microsoft thinks it will be.
That's not exactly true. Does anyone think Sunset Overdrive is going to be some massive hit? I sure as hell don't think it will be. But somehow that is an exclusive title. On the Sony end, does anyone think Deep Down or Bloodborne are going to be system sellers? Nope.

I think the bottom line is MS doesn't have the 1st/2nd party studio quality that Sony does, so they feel to level the playing field they need to throw money at certain developers to make exclusive content.
Old 08-12-14, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

SO doesn't have to be a massive hit, a title like that is to just sort of stack the deck - to show you have something. Though considering how much MS seems to be showing it off, you'd think they were trying to pass it off as the second coming.

You don't buy a well known franchise like Tomb Raider without expectation of sales.
Old 08-12-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk God

so which is it? it has to be a system seller or it has to stack the deck? you are saying two completely different things in consecutive posts.

and i agree, Tomb Raider is a well known franchise, but again, I point back to the sales of the last game on previous gen systems with an install base that is a gazillion times more than next gen. It sold decent, but it was not a blockbuster AAA title.
Old 08-12-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

so which is it? it has to be a system seller or it has to stack the deck? you are saying two completely different things in consecutive posts.
No, I said Sunset Overdrive is to stack the deck. It's a new IP from a known studio.

System Seller is buying a big name like Tomb Raider for what had to be a ton of money. Logic being it still sold 5 million copies, and only a fraction were on Microsoft devices, if they can get 1.5 - 2 million system sales on it, it'd be worth it to them. Though another part of the strategy is taking a title away from the competition.
Old 08-12-14, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk God

No, I said Sunset Overdrive is to stack the deck. It's a new IP from a known studio.

System Seller is buying a big name like Tomb Raider for what had to be a ton of money.
this is what you said first:

You don't pay for an exclusive if you don't expect it to move systems.
So, by that statement, you expect SO to sell systems, because MS paid to have it as an exclusive title.

Then you say this:

SO doesn't have to be a massive hit, a title like that is to just sort of stack the deck - to show you have something. .
So which is it? You are saying two completely different things, which contradict each other.
Old 08-12-14, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Mincing words much? When I said "pay for exclusive" I meant turn a multiplat into an exclusive. It's pretty obvious what I'm talking about.

Plus Tomb Raider is a recognizable name, that always helps.
Old 08-12-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk God

No, it is not obviously. Say what you mean. I can't read your mind.
Old 08-12-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
Uncharted will win by a landslide. Uncharted will sell systems. Tomb Raider may sell a few but its not a system seller like Titanfall, Halo, or Uncharted.
Titanfall was a system seller?
anything I guess can be considered a system seller when it is bundled with a system for free
Old 08-12-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, it is not obviously. Say what you mean. I can't read your mind.
Sure it is. And I did. And you probably can, you just aren't trying hard enough.

There's a big difference between having an original, new IP be exclusive to a system and having a long running franchise "bought" into exclusivity. One is to build a base for your system, to show it's being supported and to hope for a big franchise a la Uncharted/Halo/Gears, the other is generally to bring attention to you and sell systems. And that's all I'm saying.

To Microsoft's credit, it was smart of them to cancel the PC version as well. You'd be amazed how much that has been undermining my console game purchases this gen.
Old 08-12-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

Man, fuuuuck MS and Crystal Dynamics.

I've been replaying TR on PS4 and loving it as much as the first time. I'd put it in my top 5 for the entire last Gen. Love it more than all 3 Uncharted games. So this news blows.
Old 08-12-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

I've been replaying TR on PS4 and loving it as much as the first time. I'd put it in my top 5 for the entire last Gen. Love it more than all 3 Uncharted games. So this news blows.
Agreed with all.

You know...having to own more than 1 console has been pissing me off since I had to get a Sega Genesis to play X-Men and The Punisher.
Old 08-12-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Sure it is. And I did. And you probably can, you just aren't trying hard enough.

There's a big difference between having an original, new IP be exclusive to a system and having a long running franchise "bought" into exclusivity. One is to build a base for your system, to show it's being supported and to hope for a big franchise a la Uncharted/Halo/Gears, the other is generally to bring attention to you and sell systems. And that's all I'm saying.

To Microsoft's credit, it was smart of them to cancel the PC version as well. You'd be amazed how much that has been undermining my console game purchases this gen.
none of which you pointed out or stated initially. while that certainly may have been the point you were trying to make, your words certainly did not make them for you.
Old 08-12-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Those money-making bastards.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.