Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: PS4 Release Thread: Kill Launch App #Driveclub due October 2014!!!

Is Warframe still free? It does seem to get the most love around here. I was planning on checking it out. I figure that and BF4 will probably be the only two games I play until Infamous comes out.
Old 12-12-13, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 19K
Is Warframe still free? It does seem to get the most love around here. I was planning on checking it out. I figure that and BF4 will probably be the only two games I play until Infamous comes out.
I don't know how much love it's getting around here...just 3 of us really. But it's one of those games that gets better and better the more you play it and the further you go down the rabbit hole. It will always be free, but if you get hooked, you might spend a bit, and you'll be happy to do it. I'm 120 hours in, and am having a hilarious internal debate about whether to spend $10 or $30, which are less than I spent on Killzone combined!

Your plan is what I should have done, except that I would have bought NFS now and BF4 once they fix their shit.
Old 12-12-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I meant to tell you guys the other day that I got my PS4 headset and can confirm that it works, and I recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZX300A...dp/B00BN0N0AS/

It's made for Android phones and is fully plug and play with the PS4 controller. It's comfortable, sounds good, has a nice short cord, and is reasonably priced at $30 shipped. It also comes in blue, which looks neat with the PS4 but was a bit much for me. Note that the mute button doesn't do anything on PS4. Be sure NOT to get the iPhone version.

Both Philips and JVC have similar Android headsets for just a bit less and just a bit more respectively, but my son has headphones with this exact design, so I was able to sort of test drive them. This design is nice if you want to watch media because it doubles as a decent headset without an obtrusive boom mic.

Edit to add: Purchased from third party seller on Amazon "Sonic Electronix" for $29.99 with free shipping. It was well packaged and in good shape upon arrival.

Last edited by chess; 12-12-13 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-12-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the audio quality on the microphone?
Old 12-12-13, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do all games take forever to install? I downloaded BF4 (which took over an hour as expected), but then when I started it up, it tells me please wait while the game is installing. And it's soooooooo sloooooow. Only at 34%. Moves about 1% every two minutes.

It says I can play the campaign while I wait, but I already played through it twice and got 100% on campaign on PS3. What a buzzkill.
Old 12-12-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Originally Posted by chess
I'm finding it hard to go back to the PS3 controller. I can still work with the shape of it and even the triggers, but those sticks feel wayyyyy too loose and imprecise after playing the PS4.

If they made a PS3 controller that was exactly like the PS4's but without the touchpad/speaker/light/etc and with proper start/select buttons and sold it for $40, I'll bet they'd sell as many as they could make. I'd buy at least one or two.

I know the PS4 controller works wired with some games, but that's not the same, and even when it works, a lot of games require you to hit the select button, and it's matched to share rather than the touchpad, which is kind of dumb.
It would be hard to go back to the stock DS3 after using the DS4 however my main PS3 controller is a modded DS3. Trigger extenders to make the shoulder buttons feel larger and more natural. Kontrol Freek on the right stick and rubberized grips where my hands hold the controller. These all make the controller sit in a more comfortable way for me.
Old 12-12-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I played through maybe the first third third of the game then I lost interest. I've enjoyed Resegun and Contrast. I have NBA2k. Its fun, but I'm not that good. I probably need more time with it. My WiiU and 3DS have been getting much more attention lately.
Old 12-12-13, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still installing BF4. Up to 80% now. This is bordering on ridiculous.
Old 12-12-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I haven't touched my PS4 since I put it in the cabinet on launch day (apart from the disc).
I don't have room for it so it is sitting on a fancy ottoman right now. I plan to mount the TV over the High Winter Druid break.
Old 12-12-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PS4 in stock now at Amazon!
Old 12-12-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Yeah, installs take a while. I think it always loads the whole game into the hard drive, right? Ugh.

Still have only really played NBA 2K14. Again, while I didn't get the 360 or PS3 version to compare, it just seems like they left a bunch of stuff out. There's no practicing in myplayer?
Old 12-12-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cruzness
How is the audio quality on the microphone?
When I record a voice message, it sounds pretty good, and I haven't gotten any complaints.

I think I've played with flashburn and K&A since I got them.
Old 12-13-13, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BF4 looks amazing on PS4... as expected. The ridiculous install time was worth the wait. Chess, I'm shocked you haven't really played it yet. The 64 players is crazy. The maps are BIGGER on PS4. Siege of Shanghai has two extra objectives (in areas of the map) that weren't even available in the PS3 version. It felt like I had to learn the map all over again. I was a total noob. There's a ton more vehicles. The player movement and frame rate is so smooth. It's actually gonna take me awhile to adjust to how clear everything is, if that even makes sense. Environments are way more detailed... Scenery on fire, debris blowing around, etc. I can see why people say they will never be able to go back to older consoles after playing it on next-gen. Wow, just wow. I'm sure everyone won't be as amazed as me, but I had already logged 100 hours on PS3, so I can tell you there is a HUGE difference between the two versions of the game.
Old 12-13-13, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 19K
BF4 looks amazing on PS4... as expected. The ridiculous install time was worth the wait. Chess, I'm shocked you haven't really played it yet. The 64 players is crazy. The maps are BIGGER on PS4. Siege of Shanghai has two extra objectives (in areas of the map) that weren't even available in the PS3 version. It felt like I had to learn the map all over again. I was a total noob. There's a ton more vehicles. The player movement and frame rate is so smooth. It's actually gonna take me awhile to adjust to how clear everything is, if that even makes sense. Environments are way more detailed... Scenery on fire, debris blowing around, etc. I can see why people say they will never be able to go back to older consoles after playing it on next-gen. Wow, just wow. I'm sure everyone won't be as amazed as me, but I had already logged 100 hours on PS3, so I can tell you there is a HUGE difference between the two versions of the game.
I love to hear that.

I just want them to sort out the stability issues, and I'm pretty obsessed with Warframe right now.
Old 12-13-13, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 19K
Still installing BF4. Up to 80% now. This is bordering on ridiculous.
That does sound like a long time. The only install I have done so far is Assassin's Creed 4 from the disc. It installed at 21GB in about 2 minutes or so....maybe it goes slower for downloaded vs. disc games? I don't know.
Old 12-13-13, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, it must be a download thing. When I installed Battlefield 4 from the disc, it took less than 2 mins.
Old 12-13-13, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe I'm just missing something completely obvious, but does anyone know how to get the sound to come out from optical ONLY? I have the sound setting set to optical and I'm getting sound through my stereo, but the audio still comes through my TV via HDMI as well. I need to turn the volume down on the tv in order to hear only my home theatre speakers.
Old 12-13-13, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not at home to verify, but I think it's under Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings
Old 12-13-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Originally Posted by 19K
Dude, you just convinced me to keep my unopened PS4 copy.

Chess, I got PS4 NFS Rivals from Game Fly, so looking to run you off the road sometime soon. I don't get to play much (as the Mrs gets annoyed), but with my girl in the Nutcracker next week, I'll have some actual gaming time in the next week or so. Might even venture into Warframe (no promises, though)
Old 12-13-13, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Dude, you just convinced me to keep my unopened PS4 copy.

Chess, I got PS4 NFS Rivals from Game Fly, so looking to run you off the road sometime soon. I don't get to play much (as the Mrs gets annoyed), but with my girl in the Nutcracker next week, I'll have some actual gaming time in the next week or so. Might even venture into Warframe (no promises, though)
Come at me bro!

I haven't checked since I started my Warframe obsession, but the last I checked, I owned almost my entire racer map other than the ones where you have to escape the single cop, which to my eye are based on repitition and luck more than skill.

Warframe is ridiculously fun once you get past the initial curve of figuring out what the hell is going on with all of the systems and the economy, but there's a few of us that will be happy to help you through that. For me, it scratches the same itch Borderlands does, but it's a bit deeper, a lot cheaper and better overall IMO.

I'm seriously addicted. It's a problem.
Old 12-13-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chess
I'm not at home to verify, but I think it's under Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings
I got that much. That's where I selected Digital Out (Optical) as the Primary Output Port. But even with that set-up, it pushes audio through HDMI also. So I have sound coming through the TV and stereo simultaneously, which is not ideal for surround sound.

Not a huge deal I guess, I can just turn the volume on the tv down. Just a pain to have to keep adjusting the volume all the way to zero when I switch between gaming and tv (and hitting Mute leaves the word "Muting..."on the screen the entire time so that's not an option ).
Old 12-13-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did find this discussion on reddit, which implies that's just the way it works: http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1qs640/

So it doesn't look like it's a problem with your machine, and it might be something they address through firmware.
Old 12-13-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gamestop.com says they have limited PS4 stock available now.
Old 12-14-13, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Gamestop.com says they have limited PS4 stock available now.
Yeah I was able to pick one up at local Gamestop Thursday afternoon. Got lucky when I called and they had received some in and made it there in time to get one.
Old 12-14-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Wow, follow up to my PS email confusion with another gamer. Not only did they not fix anything, they just sent me...er...him a $10 code for spending $60. Dumbasses.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.