Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: PS4 Release Thread: Kill Launch App #Driveclub due October 2014!!!

I'll agree it is a silly complaint but I also kind of understand being bothered. I would never touch the unit but if I consciously thought about it I would be just slightly bugged.

I also fully 100% realize that isn't a problem with the system - it is totally a defect in me that it would bother me.

I don't even own the system and that gif stresses me out a little. Clearly I have issues.
Old 12-11-13, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So put something under one of the feet.
I did, it's all better now.
Old 12-11-13, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chess
What a completely asinine thing to complain about.
Easy buddy, I wasn't complaining. It was an observation about the odd placement of the feet. The fact that people won't purposely touch their console in the cabinet to make it wiggle doesn't offset the strange design choice to have one rubber foot up front which makes the console tilt.

I leveled the console out and now it no longer vibrates when spinning a disc. Sorry if I offended your ps4 sensibilities, I give you a dancing banana as penance.
Old 12-11-13, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Sony pushed out a new update an hour or so ago. 1.52 apparently fixes a few stability issues, though Sony didn't really spell it out.

If you left your system on standby, you should have the update ready to install.
Old 12-11-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Easy buddy, I wasn't complaining. It was an observation about the odd placement of the feet. The fact that people won't purposely touch their console in the cabinet to make it wiggle doesn't offset the strange design choice to have one rubber foot up front which makes the console tilt.

I leveled the console out and now it no longer vibrates when spinning a disc. Sorry if I offended your ps4 sensibilities, I give you a dancing banana as penance.
I would've complained about it too, if I had an issue like that.

I've never had a piece of electronic equipment that didn't sit square on a level surface. Strange design indeed.
Old 12-11-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Walmart's getting a bunch of PS4s on 12/15 if you're still looking for one.

Black Friday has come and gone, but the focus on helping customers save this holiday season continues at Walmart stores and Walmart.com. On Friday, Dec. 13 at 8:00 a.m., the retailer will drop prices on popular toys, electronics, apparel, table games and other products during its Christmas Countdown Savings Event. With only 12 days to shop before Christmas, these deals will come just in time for last-minute shoppers.

In addition, two days later, on Sunday, Dec. 15 at 8:00 a.m., Walmart’s largest shipment of the PlayStation® 4 (PS4™) – one of the most coveted gifts of the season – will arrive at stores across the country, just in time for Christmas. Walmart.com will also have a limited quantity of PlayStation 4 inventory available while supplies last.
Old 12-12-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mewmartigan

I leveled the console out and now it no longer vibrates when spinning a disc.
Agree that it was a strange design choice, and probably not the one I would have made. They really seemed to have a priority for the console looking good standing vertically, so they didn't want feet at the corners, but I would have made that third foot wider and concave to give it four points of contact.

I'm actually kind of surprised that the vibration you were hearing wasn't internal. My disk drive hits sort of a resonance on startup, and my Wii made some "vibrating" noises as well, but neither seemed to be an issue with how many rubber feet they had.

You might consider something like these, if you never plan to have the console stand vertically. It might also help it stay a degree or two cooler.

I didn't mean to jump down your throat or anything. Should have used a instead of a , as that was the tone intended. Sorry about that.
Old 12-12-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So what games are you guys enjoying on PS4?

For me:

Barely touched Battlefield 4, as I'm waiting for them to fix it on all platforms. Giant Bombcast and Weekend Confirmed both had interesting discussions about the problems this week.

Barely played Killzone, and I probably never needed two shooters. I should put it on Craigslist.

Played quite a bit of Need for Speed, which is really surprisingly good. It's funny, because NFS was my "third game" for the B2G1, and it's turned out the be the only one I've really played.

Played an absurd amount of Warframe (120+ hours), and I simply love it. It's basically just a gear/loot grind wrapped in a really fun third person action engine with shiny graphics, but once you get past the initial learning curve, it's truly amazing and incredibly deep, and I have yet to spend a penny on it. It's legitimately better than Borderlands IMO.

I finished Contrast, and it was interesting but unpolished, and I haven't given Resogun anyhwhere near the time it deserves.
Old 12-12-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So your PS4 champions are a free to play PC game and a game available on every console ever made. *winky faces*

Currently my PS4 is playing Dust Collector. After beating Call of Duty, Knack, Injustice, Flower and breaking the Killzone disc in half, I'm just waiting for games.

Last edited by chuckd21; 12-12-13 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-12-13, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Resogun is still #1 in my book and is going to be played for a long time. Not all that similar but it reminds me of Shattered on PS3. I wish they'd port that over to the PS4. I'd love starting over on that game with fresh leaderboards.

Loving Knack now. Just haven't spent enough time playing to finish. I love the treasure chest/friend thing so you can acquire the gadgets or gems you need vs. the shit you already have. I played a ton of the iOS game so I unlocked the "treasure" and "relic" radars early on. Needless to say, I've found many treasure chests that no one on my friends list have found, so you guys get the benefit of my labor.

Only spent about 30 minutes on Killzone so far. Just not in a shooter mood at the moment. Spent the better part of October in Borderlands 2 so my shooty-shooty-kill-kill desire has been satiated for a bit.

Want to start Contrast but I can only play so many games at once. I'll give it a shot after I finish Knack.
Old 12-12-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't mean to jump down your throat or anything. Should have used a instead of a , as that was the tone intended. Sorry about that.
No harm done. I will probably end up with some kind of feet instead of my current "stick something under there" solution.

As for games, I borrowed Assassin's Creed 4 from my brother and have played a little Resogun. That's it for now. Looking forward to Theif in February and I would have been all over the Tomb Raider game if I hadn't played the ps3 version.
Old 12-12-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Well let's see:

I got the platinum on Resogun, which was a lot of fun.

Then I started Knack, and got another platinum. It was better than the reviews, but getting the plat was a bit of a chore.

Contrast was short and buggy. It was a quick and easy 100% though.

Right now I'm sinking most of my time in to Killzone. The MP trophies are a major time sink, requiring a buttload of grinding. But I'm slowly getting there.

Haven't started Assassin's Creed 4 as of yet, and I returned NBA 2K14 as I never really did want it in the first place. I also have Battlefield 4 for the PS3 and PS4, but haven't played yet as I wait for it to be fixed.
Old 12-12-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I beat Contrast and enjoyed it. I am currently consumed with AC4, but I just beat it. I say I'm going to 100% it, but then again I rarely go back to these games after I beat them.

I want to jump into Warframe. My friend let me borrow Killzone, but I have zero desire to play it. I was thinking of downloading Flower with my $10 credit since I never had PS3.
Old 12-12-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chuckd21
So your PS4 champions are a free to play PC game and a game available on every console ever made. *winky faces*

Currently my PS4 is playing Dust Collector. After beating Call of Duty, Knack, Injustice and breaking the Killzone disc in half, I'm just waiting for games.
Champions? Hardly. Good games? Absolutely, and slightly surprisingly in both cases.

If you're still looking for console warz, BF4, CoD, AC4, and to a lesser extent NFS all look better on PS4 according to Digital Foundry. I suppose you could play those. NBA2K as well, according the IGN and Anandtech.

I'm very happy with my PS4, and I'm stunned *winky faces* that yours is collecting dust.
Old 12-12-13, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh you.
Old 12-12-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm struggling to finish Contrast. I'm on the last chapter, but it really isn't that much fun to play and it clunky as hell.

I'm still playing Resogun here and there, but I'm not very good at it.

I finished the Battlefield 4 campaign, but haven't really played much online because of all of the issues. I'll easily go back to that once it's all patched up, but am waiting until then.

My most played game has been NFS Rivals. I still love that game. Even though I have my issues with it (mainly the losing your points when busted or wrecked), the driving in that game is how every arcade racer should be.

Last but not least, I haven't touched Assassin's Creed 4 yet. I've been trying to wait until I finish a couple of games before diving into that one, because once I start any AC game, I'm pretty much hooked until I finish.

I also preordered Watch Dogs & Destiny yesterday, but I'm sure there will be other games between those that I pick up.
Old 12-12-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
My most played game has been NFS Rivals. I still love that game. Even though I have my issues with it (mainly the losing your points when busted or wrecked), the driving in that game is how every arcade racer should be.
This.

I'm sure I could tell the difference if I played both back to back, but to me, it feels almost exactly like Burnout Paradise.
Old 12-12-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Honestly, I am probably enjoying Injustice the most, but it's not like there is a lot to choose from.
Fifa 14- play if pretty regular, but it's not like it is that different from last gen.
NBA 2k14 - hardly play it but it is fun to play with friends. Playing online is pointless because as soon as you get up by 5 points the other person quits.
Battlefield 4- got suckered by my friends into giving this franchise another chance. It is beautiful, but still sucks just like 3 did.

More games please!
Old 12-12-13, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Battlefield 4- got suckered by my friends into giving this franchise another chance. It is beautiful, but still sucks just like 3 did.
I really hate to hear that. I want a new Bad Company so bad.

More games please!
The next quarter or two should bring Infamous, Driveclub, Destiny beta, Watch Dogs, Planetside 2, War Thunder, Deep Down and at least a few Japanese titles will be good enough to get localized. We also shouldn't be too far out from stuff like Witcher 3 and Thief.

And indies. All of them.
Old 12-12-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

So what games are you guys enjoying on PS4?
I've finished the main story in all three of my retail games: Killzone, Knack, and Lego Marvel Super-Heroes.

Really enjoyed all of them...even Knack, which I found addictive enough to play through pretty much the whole thing in one sitting. I thought Killzone was pretty great up until chapter 8 or so. Almost seemed like they ran out of time; the other chapters were really polished and struck a nice balance between encouraging exploration without leaving me ever feeling lost, but after that...? Ugh. Lego Marvel Super-Heroes was pretty fun, although it's not exactly the most drop-dead gorgeous introduction to next-gen gaming.

Haven't played Resogun since shortly after launch, but I made it to the final level, at least.

I'm probably done with the PS4 for the year unless I get something for Christmas. (Fingers crossed for Assassin's Creed IV!) I got a friend NBA2K14 as a gift, so I might get to goof around with that a bit too. Dead Rising 3 on the Xbox One is next up on the hit parade for me.
Old 12-12-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the little bit I've played with the ps4 but I have been jumping into unfinished ps3 games. Working on AC Revelations and Batman Arkham City.Finished AC Brotherhood and wanna jump into more GTA , Gran Turismo and Fallout New Vegas before the year is over. ACIV is a Christmas present and I don't plan on starting it until after Christmas. Kinda glad there is not a plethora of releases.
Old 12-12-13, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cruzness
Kinda glad there is not a plethora of releases.
The more I think about it the more I agree with this sentiment right now. I'm still cracking open PS3 titles I got on Black Friday from Wal-Mart. Gran Turismo 5 is still installing.
Old 12-12-13, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cruzness
I love the little bit I've played with the ps4 but I have been jumping into unfinished ps3 games. Working on AC Revelations and Batman Arkham City.Finished AC Brotherhood and wanna jump into more GTA , Gran Turismo and Fallout New Vegas before the year is over. ACIV is a Christmas present and I don't plan on starting it until after Christmas. Kinda glad there is not a plethora of releases.
I'm finding it hard to go back to the PS3 controller. I can still work with the shape of it and even the triggers, but those sticks feel wayyyyy too loose and imprecise after playing the PS4.

If they made a PS3 controller that was exactly like the PS4's but without the touchpad/speaker/light/etc and with proper start/select buttons and sold it for $40, I'll bet they'd sell as many as they could make. I'd buy at least one or two.

I know the PS4 controller works wired with some games, but that's not the same, and even when it works, a lot of games require you to hit the select button, and it's matched to share rather than the touchpad, which is kind of dumb.
Old 12-12-13, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stopped in GameStop today to get some Xmas gifts for my nephews, so I asked if they knew when they were getting more PS4s... the guy replied "we just got them today". What, What!?

Christmas came early for me.

Setting it up now.
Old 12-12-13, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats! That is awesome. It's time to upgrade BF4, and I can't wait to hear what you think.

Also, try Warframe. Give it some time, and don't spend any of your PS+ platinum until you figure everything out, which will take a while. It's convoluted but amazing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.