The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Old 11-26-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Originally Posted by Decker
You guys do know that you can set the light bar to its dimmest setting, right?
Duh.
I set that to the dimmest setting the second they made that an option in an update - it used to not be.
If you go back in this thread, you'll find my post complaining about not being able to turn it off completely. I've still never used/needed that stupid light bar once. Such a dumb idea for a rechargeable controller.
Old 11-26-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

I probably get 6-7 hours per charge, but maybe it's only 5. Hard to be sure.
My advice to everyone is bite the bullet, spend $40 this weekend and treat yourself to a new controller in the color of your choice. Keep an extra controller plugged into the PS4 at all times and swap it out when you get the low battery warning. Totally worth the expense to never worry about charging or swapping out batteries again.
Old 11-26-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I just think they went super cheap with these batteries and picked shit quality ones compared to the ones in the PS3 controllers. I would like to take one apart and see if it is the same battery or not. My guess is that it is not.
Old 11-26-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I have no idea how long my controllers last. I rarely play for more than a couple hours at a time, and they go on the charging station when I'm not using them. I've never had a low battery warning.
Old 11-26-16, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I just keep it plugged in to a USB power cord with it right next to my couch.
Old 11-27-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Not officially.
Need For Speed: Most Wanted
and
Need For Speed: Rivals
were both made by the same studio (Criterion Games, although Rivals was Criterion and Ghost Games...) so there's some similarities there, but as I recall they don't have quite the same feel as Paradise. I never played the newest NFS game (made entirely by Ghost Games, but I believe some staff from Criterion carried over?)

Most Wanted was a lot of fun, though. I enjoyed Rivals, but the "always online" bit made it annoying.
I was never a fan of the NOS games but my wife and I love burnout and need something for the ps4. Any suggestions?

For controllers I found one for $40 on bf. Great desl! I got a solid black instead of blue camouflage
Old 11-28-16, 08:34 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

For a decent Burnout-type game on PS4 specifically, excluding the NFS games mentioned? I'll leave it to the experts here who have played far more racing games on the system than I have. If Burnout Paradise is what you're after, I don't think any other titles will live up to that one. The game is now available on Xbox One (via backwards compatibility only), but that doesn't exactly help you here.
Old 11-29-16, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

I am so pissed to learn right now that the PS4 does NOT support external hard drives. I bought a 2TB Seagate HD over the weekend because (of course) I'm out of space on the internal HD, and I can't fucking use it. Didn't think it would be an issue since earlier this year I did the exact same thing for my XO and it works perfectly...figured Sony wouldn't let Microsoft have that kind of advantage. Fuck off Sony.
Old 11-29-16, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

So return it and buy an internal hdd?
Old 11-29-16, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Or like 99% of people who own consoles delete a game when you're done playing it.
Old 11-29-16, 09:39 PM

We are just a couple of days shy of the PS4's third birthday. I mention this because I just realized it and I had purchased a three year extended warranty in that first month. I've been having a lot of connectivity issues with my launch console. I called up the warranty number and they said since my warranty was going to expire in a few days anyways, they are setting up a case for me and are sending me a prepaid label and "coffin" for my console. They will probably just swap out my wifi system in the console and hopefully make it work better. I always agonized over buying an extended warranty, but if they fix up my console at the three year mark, I'd say that alone is worth the $50 I spent on it.
17 days later and I got my PS4 back ..... Actually I didn't. I got what looks like a new PS4 (but is probably a refurbished return unit), and my internal HDD in bubble wrap.
Now I've got to do that HDD swap thing again. Gotta watch You Tube videos to remember how it was done, but don't think it was difficult. I assume that with this generation, the HDD is movable to a different console. That was maybe the most idiotic thing about the PS3 -- they encrypted the HDD so you couldn't move it.
Old 11-29-16, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
So return it and buy an internal hdd?
No, I don't want to deal with the hassle of opening up my PS4.

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Or like 99% of people who own consoles delete a game when you're done playing it.
please, I bet that not even the majority of people do that.
Old 11-29-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
No, I don't want to deal with the hassle of opening up my PS4.

please, I bet that not even the majority of people do that.
I can tell your minds set, but that's an odd response. If there's something to complain about, it's having to reinstall the OS and then port your old data over.

Removing the old HDD from the PS4 is literally sliding a cover and removing 1 screw.

Code:
https://youtu.be/j5Plh8E3M8M?t=2m10s

Last edited by RichC2; 11-29-16 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-29-16, 11:02 PM

Removing the old HDD from the PS4 is literally sliding a cover and removing 1 screw.

Code:
https://youtu.be/j5Plh8E3M8M?t=2m10s
Just did it. It was five screws.
Old 11-29-16, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just did it. It was five screws.
but only one to get it out of the PS4

The other 4 were for the caddy. ...
Old 11-30-16, 01:00 AM

Oh My GOD!!!!! I'm so fucking pissed right now I can't even see straight. I sent my PS4 in because the wifi was a little wonky. The unit was under extended warranty and the gal I spoke to said that they would likely just change out the wifi receiver. Instead they send me a refurbished unit with a 500 GB HDD in it and my 2 TB HDD (wrapped separately) back to me. Now after swapping out the HDD I find that I have to wipe the Hard Drive clean to use it in the "new" PS4. And that's after backing up absolutely nothing.
I'm beside myself here. How the fuck can they justify that? I'm going to scream at them tomorrow when they open up.
Old 11-30-16, 02:03 AM

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Oh, Decker, that sucks. Do you lose everything on the 2TB? Game saves, etc.? I don't understand how they could possibly think any of what they did is the best solution, yikes!
Old 11-30-16, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

It sucks, but it doesn't necessarily surprise me once you said that you got the hard drive back in bubble wrap. The PS4 hard drives (and PS3 hard drives before them) are encoded so that they can only be used in one specific PS unit. They can't be "hot swapped". You move your HD from one PS to another, and it has to be formatted.

Sorry Decker, but you're pretty much screwed without your original unit. This doesn't help you now, but probably the best thing to do would have been to back it up to an external before you sent it in, then I think you could do a restore from the external.
Old 11-30-16, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by story
Oh, Decker, that sucks. Do you lose everything on the 2TB? Game saves, etc.? I don't understand how they could possibly think any of what they did is the best solution, yikes!
I don't think Saves are usually the issue these days, especially since they back-up automatically if you have PS Plus. It's having to redownload or re-install 2TB worth of games, patches and DLC.

But yeah, always assume you're getting a refurb back.
Old 11-30-16, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Sorry Decker, but you're pretty much screwed without your original unit. This doesn't help you now, but probably the best thing to do would have been to back it up to an external before you sent it in, then I think you could do a restore from the external.
Sony actually recommends doing that before sending it in:
https://support.us.playstation.com/a...Request-FAQ#08
The data on your system will not be saved by our service facility. We highly recommend deleting all personal information, including any PlayStationŽNetwork account details prior to sending your system in for service. Please be sure to back up all data on the HDD that you wish to save.
Old 11-30-16, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think Saves are usually the issue these days, especially since they back-up automatically if you have PS Plus. It's having to redownload or re-install 2TB worth of games, patches and DLC.

But yeah, always assume you're getting a refurb back.
Yeah, I was going to say that at least most (all?) of your saved games should be on the cloud.
Old 11-30-16, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Man Decker...that's bad but as Jay G. posted the link, I assume the basic game information would be in the cloud but your actual game data like progress of a character, stats and so-forth would need to be saved via Flash Drive...almost like when you swap out your HD.
Old 11-30-16, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
but your actual game data like progress of a character, stats and so-forth would need to be saved via Flash Drive...almost like when you swap out your HD.
As others have mentioned, if he has PS+, his saves are synced to the cloud every night. There's an option under Settings to re-download them. It's annoying as hell, and the PS4 doesn't handle this as gracefully as the Xbox One (where cloud saves are automatically synced), but it's ultimately just an inconvenience. Nothing is gone-gone. Well, unless he doesn't have PS+.
Old 11-30-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks, but like others have said, getting saves off the cloud shouldn't be that difficult. The only thing that might suck really bad is if you had a copy of P.T. on there that is now gone for good.

BTW, does the cloud sync only work if you have your console in stand by mode? Or will it do it another time while it's running? I always power mine completely down, so it's never running when it's not being used.
Old 11-30-16, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I remember when my first fat PS3 shit the bed (YLOD) before we had cloud saves and there were backup disabled saves. I was in the middle of a Rainbow Six Vegas 2 match with my level 10 elite and the system just turned off. Needless to say, I lost that game save and many others when I shipped that off. It sucked even worse when I found out that you could not swap HDDs.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.