Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

RYSE: The Gloriously Official 900p Exclusive Thread (Xbox One)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

RYSE: The Gloriously Official 900p Exclusive Thread (Xbox One)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 08:41 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Xbox One Release Thread: All Ryse!

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
You're doing it again: arguing against a phantom of your own invention. You're pulling this "rushing" thing out of thin air.

You exhibited the same bizarre behavior during the Blu-ray audio sync discussion.
Out of thin air? The link you posted about the game play length never indicated how much of the game was played, just the bare minimum walkthrough. I got through Injustice story mode on the highest difficulty in one sitting, so what?

The Blu ray issue was fixed I thought. I never denied there was a problem for some, I just made suggestions and assumed there could have been an AV sync issue. I never told anyone was wrong. Unlike you, who seems to have this notion I make arguments up for things no one is actually arguing about.
Old 02-24-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Out of thin air? The link you posted about the game play length never indicated how much of the game was played, just the bare minimum walkthrough.
It's an average of the typical time of completion, and there are different columns for people who rushed through it, people who played normally, and people who took their time. Sift through some reviews. Search Google. Skim through posts on any message board you want. The typical time for the single player campaign that you'll see posted will invariably be between 6 hours and 7.5 hours. Different people will report different numbers, but 6 - 7.5 hours is the median length.

I never denied there was a problem for some, I just made suggestions and assumed there could have been an AV sync issue.
You're leaving out your pissy tone:

Perhaps others don't know how to adjust audio/video sync properly. Maybe they're not using an HDMI AV receiver. If that's the case, one really needs to invest in such a device. It's a waste of a perfectly good system not to have one. It's not a problem for me because, not to toot my own horn, I understand that audio/video sync issues are pretty common, whether though a gaming console or just a standard Blu ray player. Sorry if I'm too informed.
If one knows what they're doing, what to tweek, then all is well. I guess I'm just so lucky and am an outlier, but I find that hard to believe since I do not own a AV receiver with all the bells and whistles.
I guess I'm just lucky
In none of your posts do I get any sense that you were open to the possibility of it being a problem with the Xbox One Blu-ray player.

Because I said I'm having a problem, and because oodles of people on the official Xbox forums were reporting the same, you started acting irrational and overly defensive, sneering that you must be some kind of rare, special flower because you're not affected. I never said you were wrong about not seeing the same delay I was. I never said it affected everyone or even a majority of people. I never said anything about what you're seeing. (In fact, I repeatedly said the opposite!) On the other hand, I must be some clueless dipshit who either doesn't know how to use his A/V gear or is too lazy to bother. What I posted wasn't your experience, so it's wrong/ignorant, and you have to make sure to tell me in the most condescending way possible how wrong I am. You don't like what Decker posted about Ryse, therefore he's wrong/ignorant, and you have to make sure we all know it.
Old 02-24-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
PS: I bought it on the weekend for $40, but haven't started playing yet.
Good news --- the game's so short, you're almost done!
Old 02-24-14, 09:10 PM

Pissy? Sneering? You act as if you could pick up on the inflection of my words. Not everyone who is open to debate something has a hidden agenda or is irrational or is defensive. I just didn't understand how so many people were having problems because the issue was based on limited information. We didn't know outside of them having an Xbox One what their TV, AV receiver was, if they had one, etc. That's what I was getting at.
Old 02-24-14, 09:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Good news --- the game's so short, you're almost done!
Old 02-25-14, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts

Pissy? Sneering? You act as if you could pick up on the inflection of my words. Not everyone who is open to debate something has a hidden agenda or is irrational or is defensive. I just didn't understand how so many people were having problems because the issue was based on limited information. We didn't know outside of them having an Xbox One what their TV, AV receiver was, if they had one, etc. That's what I was getting at.
When multiple people in a thread say you sound overly defensive and a little pissy on a couple of topics now, and you're the only one who thinks you don't, maybe it's time to at least consider the opposing viewpoint.
Old 02-25-14, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
When everyone in a thread thinks you sound like an overly defensive asshole on a couple of topics now, and you're the only one who thinks you don't, maybe it's time to at least consider the opposing viewpoint.
Possibly, but let's drop the hyperbole, shall we? And reducing an argument to name calling is about as low as it gets. Almost like sounding like an asshole.
Old 02-25-14, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
On the other hand, I must be some clueless dipshit who either doesn't know how to use his A/V gear or is too lazy to bother. What I posted wasn't your experience, so it's wrong/ignorant, and you have to make sure to tell me in the most condescending way possible how wrong I am. You don't like what Decker posted about Ryse, therefore he's wrong/ignorant, and you have to make sure we all know it.
You read way, way, way too much into what I wrote. And you call me defensive. Pot, kettle, black. My god, if I'm wrong about your experience or my assumptions, just say so. Why go on and act like you got your feelings hurt when clearly all you want to do to do is stir up old shit that no one cares about except yourself? And where did I indicate anywhere that I didn't like what Decker posted? What the fuck are you talking about?
Old 02-25-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
at people discussing Ryse so passionately. And chuckd21 is nowhere to be found.

This game's not even 1080p so, like, who cares?

PS: I bought it on the weekend for $40, but haven't started playing yet.
Sorry, I was busy playing Ryse.
Old 02-25-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Do you have the gamer score to back it up?
Old 02-25-14, 11:58 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,203 Likes on 852 Posts

Bro, do you even Ryse?
Old 02-25-14, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Well we know chuckd21 has the no life part covered...
Old 02-25-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 313 Posts

1000 GS or you're not doing it right.
Old 02-25-14, 12:12 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

My GS is 16449. Do I have potential?
Old 02-25-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dan
bro, do you even ryse?
Old 02-25-14, 02:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I'm going to broadcast myself getting 1000 GS in Ryse.
Old 02-25-14, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21
What's taking you so long? You should be finished with it by now.
Old 02-25-14, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
I'm going to broadcast myself getting 1000 GS in Ryse.
Let us know if it takes just a few hours please.
Old 02-25-14, 02:36 PM

Re: RYSE: The Gloriously Official 900p Exclusive Thread (Xbox One)

No jump button, no sale.
Old 02-25-14, 02:51 PM

Played it for less than an hour, decent game so far. Just want to point that out considering the escalating and presumptuous attitude that I somehow love the game.
Old 02-25-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The season pass is 33% off today (2-25) only. Normally $19.99, now $13.49.

Includes 4 add-on packs, all multiplayer related.
Old 02-27-14, 05:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I played this for a bit the other night. It's a decent game and not nearly as bad as some folks made it out to be. The gameplay is pretty simple, but still takes a bit more skill than mashing buttons over and over. Anyway, I'm enjoying it for what it is: dumb, violent (oh, so violent) fun. I finished 3 chapters in a couple hours. I can see myself going back to redo some parts, but I'm not sure if I'll bother with the multiplayer.

I'll be playing it again tonight.

PS: To those complaining about the lack of jump button: YOU try jumping with a giant, heavy, bad-as-fuck sword in your hand.
Old 02-27-14, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,348 Likes on 4,341 Posts

I assume it's easier to jump in place than to lop off someone's arm in a single blow, but that's just me.
Old 02-27-14, 08:18 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I started up Ryse, and was met with a 3GB update. Installing now. I thought this shit was supposed to be automatic. Bullshit!
Old 03-02-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,348 Likes on 4,341 Posts

I finished the game last night. A few more thoughts :

It actually took me four play sessions instead of the three I had predicted. Not that it had more content than I had expected (it did not), but rather I had a hell of a difficult time with the beginning of Chapter VIII. You're supposed to man a Scorpion and fire endless arrows at endless waves of barbarians. I kept doing this, over and over for 8 minute stretches while my alleged "friend" kept barking orders at me instead of providing any help; only to "fail" because some arbitrary red line had gotten too low after I had already slaughtered hundreds of soldiers without any difficulty and with a sore trigger finger. Then I'd go back and try it again. Good times. Once I got past that (had to quit last week and tried again last night), I was shocked how quick it was to the finish it.
I must have been playing it wrong, but the only way I found to beat the final boss with their unblockable attacks was to do repeated somersaults all around the boss and then quick striking once at the end of the flurry for minimal damage to the healthbar. It eventually worked (twice, as Ryse likes to re-up the boss fight so you do the same battle two times for length), but it was massively unsatisfying way to end the game. That's probably on me and there must be some way you're supposed to block those heavy attacks and string together a combo of your own -- I even was able to do it on occasion, but the health hit I took on the many occasions it didn't work, combined with the complete lack of ability to get any extra health during either stage of the fight, made that an impractical strategy to try. So instead it was tumble, tumble, tumble, jab. Rinse and repeat. Yippie.

Again, it looked great (though again, I thought the character animations during player-controlled movements didn't look nearly as good as the cut scene animations). Voice acting was great and the story, while absurdly cliched and predictable, was still fun. Glad I rented it. More glad that I didn't purchase it. Back it goes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.