Reload this Page >

Disney Infinity - Disney's Infinite Moneymaker

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Disney Infinity - Disney's Infinite Moneymaker

Old 08-19-13, 01:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Disney Infinity - Questions

Honestly, I think the idea is dumb as hell. I think pretty much everyone saw the promos and thought, "Oh man, you can play as Mickey Mouse fighting against Davy Jones?! That's so cool!" or something to that effect. Not being able to play characters outside of their established worlds seems like a massive misstep. Combine that with needing to buy characters to unlock levels means I won't spend one red cent on this thing.
Old 08-19-13, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Honestly, I think the idea is dumb as hell. I think pretty much everyone saw the promos and thought, "Oh man, you can play as Mickey Mouse fighting against Davy Jones?! That's so cool!" or something to that effect. Not being able to play characters outside of their established worlds seems like a massive misstep. Combine that with needing to buy characters to unlock levels means I won't spend one red cent on this thing.
You're basically buying an adventure pack like in Skylanders. Just much more expensive at msrp!
Old 08-19-13, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

No wonder there were no early reviews allowed of this title. That stupid limitation (which doesn't even jibe with corporate policy based on Disney Universe and LBP costume packs) is sort of a deal-killer for me.
Old 08-19-13, 09:11 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Went to Target later in the evening and they still had everything. All the toys, playsets, power packs, the powerpack case etc.

Looking at them, next to the Skylanders, I wasn't very impressed. The Disney ones while recognizable, are just not as detailed as the Skylanders. Add in that the Skylanders can be played at any time/anywhere (as far as I know) in the game, and this might be a tough sell for Disney after the initial week or two of sales. There is very little to come back to. Once you play and beat the Monsters Inc land, are you going to go out and buy another figure to replay it again? Toybox mode seems like something I don't have the patience for. The toys themselves seem a lot cheaper (I have not compared them directly to Skylanders but would have bought an Oswald or Wreck-It-Ralph had they been available just for display). This just seems far to commercial for me. A $9.99 case to hold coins? (Which I think is a neat little addition and something Skylanders should add in. I love random packs)

In the end, I picked up a used Wii U Skylanders Giant set for $19 (with the initial 3 figures). That'll do. I enjoyed the first Skylanders game enough.
Old 08-19-13, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

They're banking on the Toy Box (or whatever) mode that is basically an easier Little Big Planet level editor and more integrated online play.
Old 08-19-13, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo
There is very little to come back to. Once you play and beat the Monsters Inc land, are you going to go out and buy another figure to replay it again?
The same goes for skylanders. None of the skylanders games have much replayability. Disney is banking on the toy box mode adding endless amounts of content.

Edit: basically what RichC2 said!
Old 08-19-13, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
No wonder there were no early reviews allowed of this title. That stupid limitation (which doesn't even jibe with corporate policy based on Disney Universe and LBP costume packs) is sort of a deal-killer for me.
I actually thought everyone knew this already but judging by the comments so far, it was a surprise for most people.

I am also surprised that the TRU exclusive power disc did not have any information on the package about it only containing mike's car.
Old 08-19-13, 09:37 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
They're banking on the Toy Box (or whatever) mode that is basically an easier Little Big Planet level editor and more integrated online play.
Originally Posted by Krayzie
The same goes for skylanders. None of the skylanders games have much replayability. Disney is banking on the toy box mode adding endless amounts of content.

Edit: basically what RichC2 said!
Don't they have missions and whatnot (keep in mind I have yet to play Giants)?

Infinity seems pretty closed into each 'universe' and after that, it's Toybox only.

Just looking at them up close I wasn't very impressed with the quality.
Old 08-19-13, 09:37 AM

I actually thought everyone knew this already but judging by the comments so far, it was a surprise for most people.
To be fair, I wasn't following the game that closely (being firmly in the Skylanders camp). I do remember something about the game coming with 3 figures, but not supporting local co-op with only those three included figures. I didn't really understand what that meant, but now I do.

Well the difference, of course, is that you can play any Skylanders level over and over again with new figures and any combination of figures. That's a pretty huge difference.

For those who have the game, how fun is the Toy Box mode?
Old 08-19-13, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

The toys themselves seem a lot cheaper
Cheaper in terms of quality or in terms of price? MSRP-wise, anyway, Disney Infinity figures are not less expensive.
Old 08-19-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Honestly, I think the idea is dumb as hell. I think pretty much everyone saw the promos and thought, "Oh man, you can play as Mickey Mouse fighting against Davy Jones?! That's so cool!" or something to that effect.
Yeah, that's the selling point. The lack of cross universe play and pricing just kills it for me. I'm normally down for most Disney stuff, but man what a cash grab.

Just the fact that you can't play co-op without buying two characters from each world is mind-numbingly stupid.
Old 08-19-13, 10:37 AM

Don't they have missions and whatnot (keep in mind I have yet to play Giants)?

Infinity seems pretty closed into each 'universe' and after that, it's Toybox only.

Just looking at them up close I wasn't very impressed with the quality.
Yeah, there are still missions in Giants.
Old 08-19-13, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Cheaper in terms of quality or in terms of price? MSRP-wise, anyway, Disney Infinity figures are not less expensive.
100% certain he is talking quality/detail

I don't think the Disney figs are bad but yes in looking at them compared to Skylanders figs in store there is no contest .... but Disney's characters are so iconic they don't need to really invest in more than what they did
Old 08-19-13, 10:52 AM

Doesn't this character limitation pretty much make leveling-up character irrelevant? Why bother to boost stats to replay the same single level you've already beaten? Do your stats and XP have any bearing on your Toy Box play experience?
Old 08-19-13, 10:54 AM

BTW : IGN review is up. A very positive 8.7
Old 08-19-13, 11:00 AM

I guess you can basically think of toy box levels as skylanders missions? It's more levels / worlds to play in so leveling still helps.
Old 08-19-13, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Seems like more than a solid game behind the gimmick:

<iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:gametrailers.com:12d64c0b-9539-483d-8d98-694018518ae8" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I would totally buy it, IF I had all the time and money in the world, especially the time thing.
I barely have time for shit I LOVE, much less shit I'll just like.
Old 08-19-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IMpg-lAKKHI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YtjlGMT0vck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iorYVptcBE4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Disney invited some youtubers to check the game out and their resonse was pretty positive when they checked out the toybox mode.
Old 08-19-13, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can easily find the rare coins by scratching the outside of packs. The rare coins have that lenticular effect so the surface is rough. The normal coins are smooth and dont feel/sound the same when scratching the outside of the pack.
Old 08-19-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by sikegrad
You can easily find the rare coins by scratching the outside of packs. The rare coins have that lenticular effect so the surface is rough. The normal coins are smooth and dont feel/sound the same when scratching the outside of the pack.
Don't tell the guy who *used* to own the LCS/Sportscard shop! He used to "feel" the decks for the special stuff and take those packs out of the box before putting them on the floor.

As soon as this gets out you'll see those "rare" coins showing up on eBay and Amazon like the plague.

You would think someone would have discovered this during manufacturing and had a insert of some type to hide this simple uncover method.
Old 08-19-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by sikegrad
Great, there goes my chance of ever pulling one by luck.
Old 08-19-13, 02:17 PM

So from what I've been seeing on Twitter, it looks like the TRU exclusive packs will eventually have 10 different TRU exclusive discs, but right now only Mike's Car is in the packs, not sure why.

Also, TRU has a TRU exclusive case for the discs, that does have the extra spots for the 10 TRU exclusives. But at my TRU, they had it on the same peg with the regular cases, so it was hard to see that there are two different cases. They do have different cover art, but not easily noticeable.

I got the TRU case and based on the art, it looks like besides Mike's Car we'll have a TRON power disc, two TRON toy box decorations, Peter Pan's Flight ride vehicle, a Zurg power disc, a Merlin power disc, and another Cars 2 power disc.
Old 08-19-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
BTW : IGN review is up. A very positive 8.7
But the review also says:
Each Play Set’s campaign lasts around four hours – add another hour or so if you want to complete every side mission and challenge
IMHO that seems very short considering the purchase price.

The review mainly praised the "Toy Box mode." However the reviewer had issues with it as well saying:
Building isn’t always the easiest, though: it’s sometimes fiddly to line-up pieces – they don’t always snap into place – and when building on a large-scale this can quickly become frustrating and time-consuming to rectify.
pieces of terrain can’t be overlapped, so if you don’t have a clear idea of what you want to build in advance, you’ll soon encounter situations where blocks conflict and can’t be placed down. It’s also really annoying there’s no undo button, especially considering how easy it is to delete something.
That's one reason we don't play much with the level builders on some of the Lego games and the main reason I gave up on most of those type games/gimmicks early in gaming history. It *sounds* neat but is a pain to actually do properly.

It at least mentioned the biggest downfall of Skylanders is also present here too:
...sometimes you’ll come across gated areas accessible only with characters that you have to buy (video advertisements pop up, which comes across as a little on-the-nose) but usually it’s just extra points or an additional character-based challenge that you’re missing out on.
I got the distinct impression the reviewer is a Disney "fan boy" and would like the game no matter what. I came away from the review with a reinforcement of why we will not be making this purchase. For $75, or more if you want to play coop, it just seems a bit expensive for what you *really* get.

It'll be interesting to see the thoughts of those of you who purchased this after you've played a few rounds. I'd be interested in comparisons to Skylanders as that review didn't mention that franchise at all.

*EDIT*
I just read in a pre-review that the original Wii version of the game is the only one that does not support local cooperative play in adventure mode. (Was that mentioned earlier and I just missed it? I thought I read no online coop mode which I can live without)

That kind of makes it a epic fail for those of us who are Wii only homes...

Last edited by BobO'Link; 08-19-13 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-19-13, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Yeah, I'm not a huge "design your own level" kinda guy, but hopefully it's easy enough that others can make some great levels. Wait, these are shareable like LBP, right?
Old 08-19-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link

I got the distinct impression the reviewer is a Disney "fan boy" and would like the game no matter what. I came away from the review with a reinforcement of why we will not be making this purchase. For $75, or more if you want to play coop, it just seems a bit expensive for what you *really* get.

It'll be interesting to see the thoughts of those of you who purchased this after you've played a few rounds. I'd be interested in comparisons to Skylanders as that review didn't mention that franchise at all.

*EDIT*
I just read in a pre-review that the original Wii version of the game is the only one that does not support local cooperative play in adventure mode. (Was that mentioned earlier and I just missed it? I thought I read no online coop mode which I can live without)

That kind of makes it a epic fail for those of us who are Wii only homes...
The Wii version has been known to have no local co-op for a little while now. The game doesn't seem too terribly overpriced to me (12 - 18 hours of gameplay plus the sandbox with the action figures, etc; )

I think they're going less Little Big Adventure level builder and more Minecraft.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.