Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Crew (PS4, Xbox One, PC - 12/2/2014)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Crew (PS4, Xbox One, PC - 12/2/2014)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
re: The Crew (PS4, Xbox One, PC - 12/2/2014)

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Still no reviews anywhere that I can find.
No one got the game until public launch. You wouldn't want to read a review today.
Old 12-04-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the ongoing IGN review. It doesn't go into much detail about the MMO aspect. How does the co-op/multiplayer part work?

Is it just going from one spot to another, while your "teammates" wreck the opponents allowing one car to win, resulting in everyone in the crew being rewarded? Is it crew vs crew? crew vs computer? both?

Edit: Screw it. I'm downloading it now. These open world racer games appeal to me for some reason. I watched somebody play it for 45 minutes earlier today and it looked pretty cool. Still not seeing the MMO aspect of it, but maybe that's just because nobody is playing it.

Last edited by 19K; 12-04-14 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-05-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if this is what was posted on the first page, but this is actually the opening cinematic when you start this game...

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5CZrwNly8Zg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Granted I just got it yesterday, but I'm loving it so far. It's a mix of Burnout/GTA/and any game that includes random co-op encounters.

It's an MMO/RPG... with cars.

The in-game world is enormous. And that's an understatement. It's the entire United States, with real cities and real landmarks. Think GTAV times 100. That's about how big it feels. I'm not joking. I honestly think it would take a real world hour and a half to drive from one end of the map to the other (there is a fast travel option, thank god)

The car customization options are crazy, with more variety than any racing game I've ever played. I can't believe this game wasn't hyped to all hell. The size and scope of this game is unlike anything I've seen. (One major drawback I have so far was that it literally took 2 hours to install). You play the prologue while it installs in the background, but if you finish that rather quickly (like I did), you have to wait for the game to finish installing before you can do anything. It was only 30% done when I finished the prologue and it took a LONG ass time to finish the remaining 70%. But once it finished I can totally understand why. It is overwhelmingly huge.

The graphics in all the cutscenes are pretty much equal to the cinematic above. Really quite stunning. The actual gameplay graphics are not quite as top-notch, but still very, very good. But you can understand why when you see how much world there actually is.

The driving mechanics were pretty wonky when I first started, but then I realized there was option to eliminate all the driver assists, which it made it much more to my liking. Now I can drift around corners like a true arcade racer. By default, the assists keep you stuck to the road and its pretty awful.

I've only played for a few hours, but I'm very impressed with it. We'll see how much staying power if has. Hopefully more people pick it up because as far as I can tell nobody on my friends list has it. But to me, so far, it's pretty damn awesome.
Old 12-05-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 19K
The in-game world is enormous. And that's an understatement. It's the entire United States, with real cities and real landmarks. Think GTAV times 100. That's about how big it feels. I'm not joking. I honestly think it would take a real world hour and a half to drive from one end of the map to the other (there is a fast travel option, thank god)
Wait... it only takes an hour and 1/2 to drive across the united states????????
Old 12-05-14, 02:02 PM

I might have to check this out. What level of detail does each state have? Like just the main cities?
Old 12-05-14, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seriously? It's obviously not to scale. There are a few major cities, with a lot of farmland, mountain ranges, desert ares, etc in between... not every single city in the country.

Show me a game where it takes that long to go from one of the map to other, without any loading screens or bullshit like that and I'll give you a cookie.
Old 12-05-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

no, not seriously, which is why I put

I put bro, don't be mad bro
Old 12-05-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

I've been hearing about all sorts of online problems with this game. Like #driveclub-level problems.
Old 12-05-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by House
I might have to check this out. What level of detail does each state have? Like just the main cities?
It's not really broken up by state, more by region. You start out in the "Midwest". So there's Chicago, St. Louis and Detriot. I'm not from that area, so I don't know how accurate the cities actually are, but there's landmarks you can visit that give you cash and XP. There's the arches in St Loius, Detriot state prison, etc.. When you drive though the city, you go through certain burroughs like 8-mile and corktown. Again, not sure how accurate the detail of the city is, but it's a nice touch. As far as I know, those are real places. The baseball field in Detroit is called America park, and the team is the Eagles (obviously for licensing reasons) but the logo on the banners outside the park look cleverly similar.

As far as bugs, I don't know. I've read that people have played for hours, and then the servers "reset" on them and they lost all their progress but I haven't had that happen to me yet. So far I haven't lost any progress. When I try to do co-op, nobody joins, so maybe that's actually the co-op part not working correctly. Or maybe people just don't want to join. Who knows? When you start a mission, there's two options: co-op and solo. If you pick pick co-op, it sends out an invite to any drivers in the immediate area. It's up to them if they want to join you. Nobody has accepted yet, so like I said, don't know if it's broken... Or people just want to do everything solo.

Last edited by 19K; 12-05-14 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-07-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Crew (PS4, Xbox One, PC - 12/2/2014)

I'm so glad I picked this up. I don't know what anyone else's impression of this game is since I still can't seem to find any reviews, but I hope it's positive. I'm having such a good time with it, I can't get enough of it.

I was playing an unhealthy amount of Destiny before I got this, and it's funny because The Crew honestly feels like 1000x more of an MMO/RPG than that game ever did.

The car customization options are ridiculous. And it seems like you can infinitely improve it. The parts you win aren't always the same. For instance, you do a speed skill test, and you win better tires that give a bonus to your grip stat. If you restart the same exact event and win the tires again, maybe the next time they'll give you a bonus to your acceleration stat. It seems like it's randomly generated which perk you get. If you happen to get a part with the exact same perk, you can just sell it for cash. But if you win different variations, you can just put them in your garage for later use so you can constantly tweak your cars stats by changing out parts with different perks.

Once you start opening up different parts of the country, there's factions you can align yourself with that give you a salary based on your reputation (that you get by competing in events). There's regular pvp stuff, crew vs crew stuff, faction vs faction stuff. It blows my mind how elaborate it is. I honestly thought it was just a co-op racing game. I couldn't have been more clueless. You don't even have to play the story if you don't want. This is hands down the most impressive racing "package" I've ever played. Yeah the Gran Turismo type games have better graphics and realism and whatnot, but this game as a whole is so much more "fun".
Old 12-07-14, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone else getting the #0_35 error on ps4?
Old 12-07-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
PSN is borked right now.
Old 12-07-14, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How is this game compared to NFS Rivals?
Old 12-07-14, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gooter
How is this game compared to NFS Rivals?
Graphically its inferior. Same think with the networking aspects..... Right now
Old 12-07-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

The graphics are ok for the size of the map. However, I'm thankful that the whole game takes up less than 20 gigs of hd space and it is quite a bit of fun.
Old 12-08-14, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If anyone was wondering how to earn specific license plates for your car, you have to scroll over to the "Awards" tab after you bring up your Driver ID pop up. When you open that, there's a a whole bunch of sub-categories below that have certain requirements listed. Lots of obscure things like "drive 200mph in an Asian car while in bumper view". When you finish off a certain set, you get the plate.

Also, completing these events is what triggers the little orange awards pop-ups that sometimes appear in the bottom right corner of the screen. According to the in-game wiki any faction spoils you earn will increase with more awards you've completed. So those random award points that keep popping up don't just earn you new plates, it earns you more cash too. Just FYI.
Old 12-08-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked this up at Best Buy, like an idiot. It sure is a Ubisoft game. "Climb" tower, tons of stuff pops up on your map. Repeat.
Old 12-08-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

???

Tons of stuff to do is a bad thing? I feel like I could play this game for a year and still not experience everything it has to offer. I'm not sure how far into it you are, but you don't even begin to unlock anything until you reach level 10. Once you do that, you open up PVP, joining factions (earning a daily salary), different spec cars (dirt, performance, raid).

It's certainly more complex than just shit popping up on your map. I'll admit, the game does a horrible job of explaining anything, but once you sink some time into it, it's amazing how many different ways you can play.
Old 12-08-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't saying it's a bad thing. It's just slightly depressing that every Ubisoft game is now the exact same thing. Unlock tower, 40 hours worth of side quests appear on a map, repeat.
Old 12-08-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know about side quests, but the majority of icons on the screen are skill tests which is an easy way to earn parts for your car and improve it. You don't have to do them all, in fact I highly advise against that. There are literally a thousand of them. The idea is to find a skill that your good at (ie the speed skill) and then pick one that has a part that you're looking to improve.

Or, you don't have to do any of them if you don't want. It's just an alternative way to improve your car (or multiple cars) rather than playing the story.

The map has filters which makes it very easy remove all the clutter and locate exactly what you need.
Old 12-08-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know, they all do. All the Ubisoft games. My complaint is how cookie cutter Ubisoft is getting with its game design choices. The games themselves are still mostly fine.
Old 12-08-14, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, I'll take your word for it.

The only Ubisoft games I own are this, Rayman Legends, and Trials Fusion and none of them are even remotely similar.
Old 12-09-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm only at level 10. I'm assuming I can't get to supercars til like level 100???
Old 12-09-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I drove from St. Louis to Los Angeles last night and it took between 20-25 minutes. I really like the diversity of the map and have to say that the Los Angeles in this game is better looking and far more accurate that GTA's satirical look at Los Angeles. Yrs, I know they are two different games but looking at the scope of this one it is still amazing. And they do have "Bush" stadium in St. Louis and it is a pretty close rendition of the real Busch Stadium.
Old 12-09-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

So are you guys liking the game? My best friend was saying that he wanted a driving game and we sure loved playing TDU back in the day. I'm just not sold on this yet. I did try the demo at PSX last week and was pretty amused by their take on the Vegas Strip. Wasn't bad at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.