Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Respawn's TITANFALL has landed (PC/Xbox One/360)!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Respawn's TITANFALL has landed (PC/Xbox One/360)!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-13, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
re: Respawn's TITANFALL has landed (PC/Xbox One/360)!

Wait, is this game multiplayer only?
Old 12-12-13, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it is Story-driven MP only.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...periences.aspx

When it comes to shooters, people often draw lines between single- and multiplayer experiences. Some players happily cruise through the storyline soaking up every set piece without once going online and fragging strangers. Their counterparts probably couldn’t even tell you where their favorite multiplayer maps are set; as long as there’s a line of new opponents, they’re happy. That schism creates all sorts of problems for developers.

“There’s a lot of times where you’ll spend months and months and months putting together this single-player level that someone will try to run through in six minutes,” says Vince Zampella, co-founder and general manager of Respawn Entertainment. “All that effort you put into it doesn’t get seen, doesn’t get used – it’s kind of wasted.”

As a new studio, Respawn doesn’t have resources to waste. Rather than put out diluted versions of the ordinarily separate modes, the company took the unusual approach of merging the two to create one highly polished experience in Titanfall – something the studio is calling “campaign multiplayer.”

“The idea of trying to take a single-player experience and imprinting it onto a multiplayer world was not something we came to immediately,” says producer Drew McCoy. “It actually was a couple years into the process where we realized that we have people here who are really good at making addictive, fun, fast, fluid multiplayer games, and we also have people who are making believable characters, moments, and situations. There’s this huge bifurcation of those two experiences in current offerings of games.”

Single-player modes in shooters usually offer a narrative – hardly a strong suit for multiplayer – but the differences go deeper. Campaigns are normally built around players going from point A to point B, instead of dumping them in unstructured arenas. As such, designers can create bombastic moments when players reach certain spots on levels. It’s more difficult to incorporate those kinds of storytelling techniques in multiplayer matches, where a dozen players are too busy scrambling to fulfill their own in-game needs to notice a collapsing bridge in the background.

“We really wanted to try and meld the two together and get our strengths combined and just make one big, deep, awesome experience that everyone could see all of,” says producer Drew McCoy. “We wanted to reconcile the two of those things together and make one cohesive game.”

Respawn is developing the game for high-end PCs and the Xbox One, which affords them additional in-game horsepower. One noticeable implementation of that power comes in the battlefields themselves, which can be filled with dozens of AI characters. These characters act as both friend and foe, and help to make the matches feel as densely populated as traditional FPS story missions. They do more than shout “reloading” and “cover me,” too. Some are used in scripted vignettes, so you might enter a room and see several soldiers clustered around a wounded comrade as another performs CPR. Or you could surprise a group and watch them scatter in fear.

Respawn says the game’s story, which highlights a conflict between far-flung galactic settlers and their corporate counterparts, is being told with the cinematic flair that’s typically reserved for single-player campaigns. The overall story arc is told through discrete missions, with prefaces and epilogues, as well as the set-piece moments normally found in contemporary single-player campaigns. Moment-to-moment gameplay is also driven by video-comm displays, which provide direction on what needs to be done next as well as adding situational flavor.
In one section we saw, the player sneaked up on an opponent and killed him with a melee takedown. Rather than show the simple knifing animation that we expected, the action triggered a showy move where the player snapped the enemy’s neck, flipped the shotgun he was holding out of his hands, and then used the newly acquired weapon to clear the room. Players who get close enough to a wounded Titan can ride on its back, plant explosives, and then watch the fireworks. These types of interactions are relatively standard for single-player games, but it’s a rare treat to see them in multiplayer battles.

The campaign multiplayer approach plays to the team’s strengths, though it creates a new set of challenges. “From the art side, levels are a bear,” says lead artist Joel Emslie. “When you’re doing a single-player game, you’re just on a rail usually. It’ll open up and bottleneck and do that stuff, but that makes wrapping your head around building and making things look gorgeous as you can get them pretty manageable. When we stepped into this stuff, you have to go over every square inch of these environments because the player is going to be at some point, someone is going to go there, and it needs to look up to par.”

The entire team is working on the game as a whole – without divisions between the single- and multiplayer development – and Respawn says the approach is paying off. “[W]e can take all that effort and instead put it into multiplayer, where you’ll see it multiple times, you’ll see it again and again, so now the animations are going to be richer, the world is going to be more alive and more engrossing, and you’re going to see it more,” Zampalla says. “The work that people do here is more appreciated, so it makes the team feel better. The world that the players see is going to be more enriched, so they’re going to appreciate it. So it’s a great feeling for us.”

One of the unknowns at this point is how Respawn plans to tell a story when players are essentially experiencing a set of linked multiplayer matches. How does the campaign account for the times when your side loses? Respawn won’t elaborate on how it works, though the team says you don’t have to replay missions. The developers have set a stiff challenge for themselves that could nonetheless have a hefty payoff in delivering a satisfying and at least semi-cohesive story out of these seemingly fragmented sections.
Old 12-12-13, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Multiplayer-only on consoles haven't worked out so well. Brink, anyone?
Old 12-12-13, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I've been wondering how it will do because of that as well. I personally don't play many multiplayer games online so as much as I think this game looks amazing, I likely wouldn't get it. That's part of why I sold my XBox One. Other than this, there wasn't very much exclusive to the system on the horizon that I was really looking forward to.

I really need to dive into online again sometime. I just got so tired of all of the douchebags and dicks online that I decided to not even try putting up with it. I never tried to get into anything organized though, like a group here or something, so that may change things big time for me.

Other than me personally though, I dunno, I worry about this game being multiplayer only. I think it'll sell well, but it is going to leave a lot of gamers in the dark I'm afraid. I can see a bunch of people buying it not totally understand what they're getting into and feeling screwed in the end as well. We shall see though.
Old 12-12-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This game is nothing like Brink.
Old 12-12-13, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Just like people complain about games like Tomb Raider with tacked on multiplayer, the same can be said about games like Battlefield that are multiplayer-centric with tacked on single player. I'm glad they're putting all their focus in what they do well.

There haven't been many hugely successful multiplayer only games, but there also hasn't been any great multiplayer only games to begin with. I think this and Destiny are going to be the next big thing and change that.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-12-13 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-12-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Multiplayer-only on consoles haven't worked out so well. Brink, anyone?
People like Need For Speed Rivals.
Old 12-12-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not saying multiplayer-only console games can't been good, they just haven't been able to sustain interest in the long term.
Who's going to pick up a discounted copy of the game a year after it's release with a largely dissipated online community that's moved onto other games?
Old 12-12-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Call of Duty games haven't had any issues sustaining online communities for several years after release, even when newer iterations are already on the market (and especially on Xbox). If it's fun enough, it'll sustain interest.
Old 12-12-13, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
I'm not saying multiplayer-only console games can't been good, they just haven't been able to sustain interest in the long term.
Who's going to pick up a discounted copy of the game a year after it's release with a largely dissipated online community that's moved onto other games?
If the MP is good, people will stick around. The early Halo releases are good examples. There was almost 3 years between Halo 2 and Halo 3 and that online community was just fine between those two games. It was another 2 years between H3 and Halo 3: ODST and again folks were still playing the shit out of that game online.

It will largely depend on the game though, so we shall see.
Old 12-12-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by M Polo
It was another 2 years between H3 and Halo 3: ODST and again folks were still playing the shit out of that game online.
You realize Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST are the same game when it comes to multiplayer, right? Or did you mean Halo: Reach?
Old 12-12-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

There are still people playing MW2 online, so I'm not too worried about this.

Also, if this only gets people playing it for only a year, I don't care. I'll be buying it at launch, and I will get my year's worth out of it.
Old 12-13-13, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
You realize Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST are the same game when it comes to multiplayer, right? Or did you mean Halo: Reach?
Nope, meant what I said, but I'm not a fan of the series, so I didn't realize it was the same MP.
Old 12-13-13, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

it's not... ODST sucked
Old 12-13-13, 03:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I was looking at the trophies for COD:Ghosts on the PS4 and was surprised to see that less than 20% of players have finished the single player campaign. I now think going multiplayer-only was a good move on this one, and I hope there's still enough 360 folks for me to find games.
Old 12-13-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Music
it's not... ODST sucked
Halo 3 and ODST are/have the same multiplayer functionality, that's why ODST's multiplayer was on a seperate disc from the campaign/horde mode.

ODST gave users all of the Halo 3 maps, including all of the maps that were made available via DLC. If I didn't own Halo 3, but owned ODST, I could still play the multiplayer with everyone who owned Halo 3 or both. Same goes for vice versa if I owned Halo 3 and not ODST.
Old 12-13-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

When I think ODST multiplayer, I think horde mode.
Old 01-08-14, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Confirmed Six on Six multiplayer maximum

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/08/tita...is-six-on-six/
Old 01-08-14, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Less then I hoped, especially since i'm playing Battlefield. But I trust they know what they're doing.
Old 01-08-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Seems odd, but then again, I think there's going to be so much shit going on, that might be the right call.
Old 01-08-14, 01:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

But does it have 1080 P's???!!
Old 01-08-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

6 v 6 humans, but how many AI counterparts are going to be in there too? To me, that's where shit's going to get awesome. Sure it's a multiplayer only game, but with (hopefully) highly intelligent AI in the game with you to help drive the story. Oh hell yes.
Old 01-08-14, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
6 v 6 humans, but how many AI counterparts are going to be in there too? To me, that's where shit's going to get awesome. Sure it's a multiplayer only game, but with (hopefully) highly intelligent AI in the game with you to help drive the story. Oh hell yes.
In a minimum round (which can last up to 15 minutes), you'll have at least:
  • 12 real players.
  • 12 AI controlled mechs (remember, you can have a Titan follow you or jump into one).
  • An unidentified number of additional AI players on the ground.
In Respawn we trust.
Old 01-08-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-08-14, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, one of the Respawn guys jumped into the thread discussing this at NeoGAF, where most of the responses had been predictable up until then. He made a very good argument that 6 vs. 6 humans is the perfect balance for what they're trying to do with the game. They tried other numbers before settling on that one as the best.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.