Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Respawn's TITANFALL has landed (PC/Xbox One/360)!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Respawn's TITANFALL has landed (PC/Xbox One/360)!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
re: Respawn's TITANFALL has landed (PC/Xbox One/360)!

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The game is coming out Q1 2014, so we have about a half of a year to wait?
He's probably referring to the wait for PS4 people, as many believe the game will come out a year later for the PS4.
Old 08-21-13, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
He's probably referring to the wait for PS4 people, as many believe the game will come out a year later for the PS4.
Indeed
Old 08-21-13, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Higher quality video:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QiMsHHh0-SE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Day. One. Purchase.
Me too... wow, looks incredible!
Old 08-21-13, 08:28 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDChris
It says no single player campaign, but I didn't see anything about solo multiplayer, which is basically the multiplayer-style gameplay but with bots filling all the roles that would normally be human players.

If they don't offer this they may have to be clear that this game requires Gold to play. Has there been a game that couldn't be played in any form without a Gold account before?
Old 08-21-13, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts

I can't think of any other than a MMO like FF11/14.
Old 08-21-13, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sven
Indeed
It's cute to still see people think this is coming out for the PS4.
Old 08-21-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's cute to still see people think this is coming out for the PS4.
Interesting. Tell us more about EA games that stayed console exclusive ever.

That would be "cute".
Old 08-21-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Interesting. Tell us more about EA games that stayed console exclusive ever.

That would be "cute".
Well, it did take over 5 years for PS3 owners to finally get Mass Effect. And PS3 owners never got one of the best NFS games

But, yes, I see what your saying. EA would be crazy to never release this franchise on Sony's system. But MS does have the money to throw around if they really want to make that statement. You know what they say, "Everyone has a price." So the real question is, how much would it cost to keep the Titanfall series off PS4.
Old 08-21-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Well, it did take over 5 years for PS3 owners to finally get Mass Effect. And PS3 owners never got one of the best NFS games

But, yes, I see what your saying. EA would be crazy to never release this franchise on Sony's system. But MS does have the money to throw around if they really want to make that statement. You know what they say, "Everything has a price."
NFS: Most Wanted was a last gen title...was on PS2, Gamecube and Xbox (original? don't know what to call that thing now). Hardly console exclusive.

So the real question is, how much would it cost to keep the Titanfall series off PS4.
Actually, I think the real question is why would anybody root for this other than fanboyism? (not saying you are by the way, but some seem to be)
Old 08-21-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Always thought it was funny that Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 both came out on the PS3 before Mass Effect did.

Anyway, I'm sure Titanfall will make the transition to the PS4 at some point. Looks like a fun game, hope they don't fuck up the 360 port.
Old 08-21-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some things to point out:
  1. EA does not own Respawn as they own BioWare, Black Box Games, or Criterion (for examples mentioned).
  2. Respawn is just publishing the game through EA. EA has no say in the game, similar to Activision and Bungie's deal with Destiny.
  3. Respawn have gone on the record numerous times that one of the reasons (besides money) in Xbox exclusivity is due to Microsoft providing them servers for the 360/One versions of the game. Respawn is on their own with the PC version. Unless Sony wants to provide Respawn with servers, it makes the possibility of the game being available on PS4 even more "out of reach." The money to invest in servers for a game that is already a year old might not be a sound financial one for Respawn.
  4. West and Zampella have shown loyalty to Microsoft in the past... and that might be due to money more than anything else.
Old 08-21-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's no proof in either direction is all I'm getting at.
Old 08-21-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Left for Dead would be an example of an EA published game developed independently that stayed exclusive, right?

It's interesting that there's a feeling of entitlement about 3rd party games being on all platforms though. To play devil's advocate, I can see the argument that for a console specific multiplayer only game, keeping the title on a single platform prevents the community and/or you and your friends from being split between different consoles. If the game is a big enough system seller (like Halo), it gives more reason to convince your friends to buy the game on a system you already own, instead of "Oh, but I already own a PS4 so i'll buy it for that, I guess we can't play together." I have no idea if what I just said made sense, but it does in my head

For what it's worth, I say that in general terms and not specific to XB1/PS4. I come across that a lot, since I still consider myself primarily a PC gamer and will have friends that pick up some games on console versus PC and run into that issue.
Old 08-21-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
There's no proof in either direction is all I'm getting at.
Actually there is. I can't be bothered to look up the video, but it went something like this:

Gametrailers: So PS4 gamers will have to wait to play Titanfall?
Vince Zampella: Yes
You could maybe chalk that up to him just being bad at PR, but it's not nothing.

It'll likely be a year after launch, unless MS backs up a dumptruck full of cash...which would happen.
Old 08-21-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Left for Dead would be an example of an EA published game developed independently that stayed exclusive, right?
I'm glad you could think of one because I couldn't.

Closest I came was Mass Effect.
Old 08-22-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

But MAss Effect came - years afterwards tho - and who is really going back to play Mass Effect if they already played the sequels.

I all honesty this game and the fact that CoD on XBone will have dedicated servers could get me to pick up an XBone. I just love the footage that is coming from Titanfall.
Old 08-22-13, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by DRG
If they don't offer this they may have to be clear that this game requires Gold to play. Has there been a game that couldn't be played in any form without a Gold account before?
Battlefield 1943 was an XBLA game & MP only, so I'd imagine you had to have a Gold account to play it. I may be wrong though, not sure.
Old 08-22-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan

It's interesting that there's a feeling of entitlement about 3rd party games being on all platforms though. To play devil's advocate, I can see the argument that for a console specific multiplayer only game, keeping the title on a single platform prevents the community and/or you and your friends from being split between different consoles. If the game is a big enough system seller (like Halo), it gives more reason to convince your friends to buy the game on a system you already own, instead of "Oh, but I already own a PS4 so i'll buy it for that, I guess we can't play together." I have no idea if what I just said made sense, but it does in my head

For what it's worth, I say that in general terms and not specific to XB1/PS4. I come across that a lot, since I still consider myself primarily a PC gamer and will have friends that pick up some games on console versus PC and run into that issue.
I don't know if it's a difference, but according to the Wiki, Valve was still the publisher. EA is listed as a distributor.
Old 08-22-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I don't know if it's a difference, but according to the Wiki, Valve was still the publisher. EA is listed as a distributor.
EA serves as Valve's retail distributor.

You know, just like how EA is serving as Respawn's retail distributor for Titanfall and Activision is serving as Bungie's retail distributor for Destiny.

Old 08-22-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

EA serves as Valve's retail distributor.

You know, just like how EA is serving as Respawn's retail distributor for Titanfall and Activision is serving as Bungie's retail distributor for Destiny.

Distributor and publisher do not mean the same thing, though publishers do often also serve as distributors.

Your second sentence is technically true in that EA and Activision are distributing the game to retail, but it omits the fact that as publisher they have financed the development of the games and therefore have a great deal of control over how they are marketed and sold.

If EA was only the distributor for L4D, then literally all they did was print and sell disks...maybe some marketing.
Old 08-23-13, 02:06 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-tal...ox-live-cloud/

Respawn's Jon Shiring talks about... well... the Xbox Live Cloud.
It's long, but here's two bits:
The player experience is so much better. This sounds awesome!

But it costs a LOT of money.

This is something I have worked on for years now, since coming to Respawn. A developer like Respawn doesn’t have the kind of weight to get a huge price cut from places like Amazon or Rackspace. And we don’t have the manpower to manage literally hundreds-of-thousands of servers ourselves. We want to focus on making awesome games, not on becoming giant worldwide server hosting providers. The more time I can spend on making our actual game better, the more our players benefit.

I personally talked to both Microsoft and Sony and explained that we need to find a way to have potentially hundreds-of-thousands of dedicated servers at a price point that you can’t get right now. Microsoft realized that player-hosted servers are actually holding back online gaming and that this is something that they could help solve, and ran full-speed with this idea.

The Xbox group came back to us with a way for us to run all of these Titanfall dedicated servers and that lets us push games with more server CPU and higher bandwidth, which lets us have a bigger world, more physics, lots of AI, and potentially a lot more than that!
How is this different from other dedicated servers?

With the Xbox Live Cloud, we don’t have to worry about estimating how many servers we’ll need on launch day. We don’t have to find ISPs all over the globe and rent servers from each one. We don’t have to maintain the servers or copy new builds to every server. That lets us focus on things that make our game more fun. And best yet, Microsoft has datacenters all over the world, so everyone playing our game should have a consistent, low latency connection to their local datacenter.

Most importantly to us, Microsoft priced it so that it’s far more affordable than other hosting options – their goal here is to get more awesome games, not to nickel-and-dime developers. So because of this, dedicated servers are much more of a realistic option for developers who don’t want to make compromises on their player experience, and it opens up a lot more things that we can do in an online game.

Last edited by Dan; 08-23-13 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-23-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's probably the only time you'll see "not to nickel-and-dime developers" with regards to a console company. (Though Sony is getting praise as well from the indie groups.)
Old 08-23-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Actually there is. I can't be bothered to look up the video, but it went something like this:

You could maybe chalk that up to him just being bad at PR, but it's not nothing.

It'll likely be a year after launch, unless MS backs up a dumptruck full of cash...which would happen.
From the video:

Keighley: Playstation nation out there is going to have to wait for Titanfall 2?
Zampella: That's right.
Old 08-23-13, 02:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Funny, I remember when that video was posted, but I thought the interviewer just said Titanfall. Not Titanfall 2. I haven't re-watched it yet.
Old 08-31-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
Funny, I remember when that video was posted, but I thought the interviewer just said Titanfall. Not Titanfall 2. I haven't re-watched it yet.
That was my recollection as well, but that is actually what he said. http://www.gametrailers.com/full-epi...t-tv-titanfall

But directly after saying "that's right", Vince went into plans "at launch", which implies that there are plans after launch. We'll see.

I actually dropped in to post this offscreen video from PAX:

It's fairly low quality, but there's some great info about the mechanics and classes in there.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Wiaq_LDI5DQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love the color pallet of this game. It's fairly muted, and might not be "next gen shiny" enough for some, but I love it. It kind of reminds me of the "painted" look of Battlefield Bad Company.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.