Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Prey (2017)

Old 06-26-17, 08:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
Re: Prey (2017)

this game is getting a little frustrating towards the end. though still great overall...

the objectives become very obscure as to how to solve them. took me forever to find Grant Lockwood in Talos I Exterior, and then getting back...holy fuck was it difficult to find the one port on the whole station that you have access to. even with all the objective markers off except that one, it is so hard to get there. i really don't know how i made it back to the Cargo Bay. and now i have to get turrets and shit and still can't figure out why Salazar won't give me code yet. anyway...

but, great game so far and i'm a little sad it's going to be over soon. hope i can find another game like it after. want to continue with something like this. might go back to Resident Evil 7, but that would be so slow compared to Prey. i did get that Shadow Warrior deal with 1 & 2, might give 2 a go. who knows...
Old 06-27-17, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

Wow did I end up hating this game, pretty much entirely due to the load times. I pushed through and wrapped it up over the weekend and it felt like I was looking at a load screen for at least half of the last two hours. Without venturing too deep into spoilers, the end I got gave me a choice between being good/bad and I picked the bad option out of spite, and I always pick the good paths in games.

The most frustrating part is that there are a lot of decent things about the game. The atmosphere is well done. The story is entertaining enough. The gameplay and controls are mostly spot on. I never installed any alien powers and pretty much made it through the first half the game with stealth and the second half of the game by sprinting up to enemies and shotgunning them in the face, so some balancing would've likely been good, but overall it had all the pieces of a good game. But I have limited gaming time and spending large swaths of it staring at a loading screen just pisses me off. And with Prey, it actually gets worse the further you progress in the game, until at the end you're basically just alternating between long load screens and quick sprints through areas. If they were able to patch out all the load times, it'd probably be an 8/10 for me. As it stands, I don't even know how I'd rank it and would instead just tell people not to waste their time starting it.

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i really don't know how i made it back to the Cargo Bay. and now i have to get turrets and shit and still can't figure out why Salazar won't give me code yet. anyway...
This part of the game has piss poor design. You have to put the turrets in the small area of the floor directly in front of the door to get the commander to open it. I randomly discovered that by accident after 5-10 minutes of dicking around with setting up the turrets more strategically around the area. Why they didn't have the character specifically mention what they want you to do is beyond me.
Old 06-27-17, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
This part of the game has piss poor design. You have to put the turrets in the small area of the floor directly in front of the door to get the commander to open it. I randomly discovered that by accident after 5-10 minutes of dicking around with setting up the turrets more strategically around the area. Why they didn't have the character specifically mention what they want you to do is beyond me.
i did see the Whiteboard with the configuration on it, but that did nothing...
Old 06-27-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i did see the Whiteboard with the configuration on it, but that did nothing...
There's an area painted on the floor directly in front of the door. All the turrets have to be set up in that area. I think you had to have at least three to trigger her using the code to open the door. I tried setting them up in multiple spots with cover and kept going back and talking to the commander, only to have her repeat the same generic dialog. Finally I happened to put one in that rectangle and a mission objective message popped up.
Old 06-27-17, 11:21 PM

I have 4, made 2. But I didn't check floor. Is the game almost over? And, I really don't mind the load times and hardly notice them. They seem short to me and gives me mini break. It's nothing noticeable. I still don't see BioShock connections. But, I think that will be next game. I'm 2/3 done, I think and totally forgot about it...
Old 06-28-17, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have 4, made 2. But I didn't check floor. Is the game almost over? And, I really don't mind the load times and hardly notice them. They seem short to me and gives me mini break. It's nothing noticeable. I still don't see BioShock connections. But, I think that will be next game. I'm 2/3 done, I think and totally forgot about it...
You're about at the point where I pretty much said fuck it, let's just get to the end of this. I think I probably had another 3-4 hours after that point, but I was doing far less exploration and gave up on completing any side quests unless I could complete them within an area I was already in for the main quests.

On the Bioshock comparisons, I can see the similarities that led some people to make the comparison (deserted futuristic/alt history setting, neuromods/syringes, potential supernatural-ish powers, etc). That said, it never felt all that similar to me and I probably wouldn't have thought to compare them if I hadn't seen others point it out.
Old 06-28-17, 11:10 PM

i really can't believe the ire this game is getting. i find it really fun and so much to do. love the exploration and figuring stuff out and powering up slowly, but steadily. yes. i've mentioned some minor gripes, but overall this is a really well made game with a good story and action...
Old 07-01-17, 08:11 PM

Shotgun is by far most useful weapon in this game. This and GLOO gun is all u need imo. Certainly ammo doesn't come cheap though...
Old 07-04-17, 12:40 PM

almost ending this bad boy. too bad...
Old 07-04-17, 06:42 PM

this is getting a little difficult towards the end. shotgun seems to be only thing that works well for me and i can't produce nearly enough to get to end of game. not sure what to do...
Old 07-04-17, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Old 07-04-17, 07:41 PM

I'd like to not try that and perhaps actually finish a game I started...
Old 07-04-17, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you already bump it down to easy?
Old 07-05-17, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure what you're bumping up against Oldboy, but here are two tips that may help. First, there's no need to re-clear areas time and time again, assuming you're doing that. I got very annoyed by the fact that all enemies would respawn every time I stepped out of an area, so by the end, I was just running through them and only taking a moment to blast the enemies who were in my way. Second, if you haven't noticed, all ammo is made from the same type of resources. Throw some for a weapon you're not using in the recycler to get what you need to make more shotgun shells. l didn't think of this until late in the game, when I had tons and tons of unused pistol ammo and EMP grenades. I recycled ~80% of the surplus I had and it gave me enough to make way more shotgun shells than I needed to get through to the end.
Old 07-05-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

It's stupid that enemies respawn in areas that you have already cleared. Add that to the already insane loading times for changing locations and you have a recipe for disc Frisbee.
Old 07-05-17, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I'm not sure what you're bumping up against Oldboy, but here are two tips that may help. First, there's no need to re-clear areas time and time again, assuming you're doing that. I got very annoyed by the fact that all enemies would respawn every time I stepped out of an area, so by the end, I was just running through them and only taking a moment to blast the enemies who were in my way. Second, if you haven't noticed, all ammo is made from the same type of resources. Throw some for a weapon you're not using in the recycler to get what you need to make more shotgun shells. l didn't think of this until late in the game, when I had tons and tons of unused pistol ammo and EMP grenades. I recycled ~80% of the surplus I had and it gave me enough to make way more shotgun shells than I needed to get through to the end.
well, i am going back and forth, trying to heal, do objectives and the enemies respawn (especially that fucking Nightmare) and i run out of ammo (shotgun). i have recycled guns and stuff. all i have is the pistol, GLOO, and shottie....

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-06-17 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-05-17, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Did you already bump it down to easy?
no, i don't like to do that. i really like to finish on normal with every game, but we'll see about this...
Old 07-08-17, 11:05 PM

I hate to say this, but I might have to bump this down to easy. Doing objectives, going back and forth, respawning enemies. I just don't have enough resources...
Old 07-09-17, 11:39 AM

do enemies respawn on Easy level?
Old 07-09-17, 08:01 PM

What's the secret to getting to the top of core reactor once you reboot system? The technopath and corrupted operators are having their way with me as I try to navigate GLOO and pipes. This one is particularly frustrating...
Old 07-11-17, 08:59 PM

is there a particular neuromod skill i should have that is most effective in dealing with the Typhons, especially the Telepaths? i think the best i have is kinetic blast II...
Old 07-13-17, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished the game after a while and here are some the pluses and minuses of it:
+ good plot with cool ending
+ it has its moments when it comes to the ambience
+ soundtrack
+ characters
+ a good number of sidequests

- fights that are way too easy in the beginning and way too hard in the end
- the sidequests aren't really that appealing

All in all it's a good game. Not the best I played, but still a good one
Old 07-13-17, 08:22 PM

do enemies respawn on Easy level?
What's the secret to getting to the top of core reactor once you reboot system? The technopath and corrupted operators are having their way with me as I try to navigate GLOO and pipes. This one is particularly frustrating...
is there a particular neuromod skill i should have that is most effective in dealing with the Typhons, especially the Telepaths? i think the best i have is kinetic blast II...
anyone with a bit of help?
Old 07-16-17, 11:15 AM

are people just ignoring me now?
Old 07-16-17, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

are people just ignoring me now?
No! It's just that none of us are playing this game right now. Why don't you join a trophy forum where there is more interaction between people about particular games and ask away?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.