Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Old 07-18-16, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
^This was the Playstation VR?
Yes, there is a link above on where to find the location close to you, to test it.

BTW, I did my testing seated.

But yeah, for any console/device you have to deliver with FPS/shooting and sports games. If you could have COD and Madden/FIFA and deliver a great experience then they will be able to stay for a long time.
Old 07-20-16, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts

What BT controller would you guys recommend with the Google Cardboard setup?
Old 07-28-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So I guess Batman Arkham VR is just a tech demo, and not a full game? It's only priced at $20 ($16 GCU) on Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/batman-a...&skuId=5495353
Old 07-29-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Playstation VR space requirements.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/29/123...ce-requirement

Sony’s upcoming PlayStation VR headset will require about 60-square-feet of cleared space to use and asks that players remain seated whenever possible while playing, according to new documentation released by the company.

The PlayStation Camera, which is required to use the VR headset, needs a cleared play area of about 9.8 feet by 6.2 feet, according to a sales brochure for the device.

"Limit your use of PS VR to within the Play Area," according to the brochure. "Clear an area larger than the Play Area of all obstacles before using PS VR and remain seated whenever possible. If the application requires you to stand while wearing the VR headset, follow the application instructions carefully, and maintain awareness of your surroundings."

The height of the play area will be dependent on how high up the camera is set, according to the official PlayStation Asia site.
Old 07-29-16, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
In comparison, the HTC Vive needs a minimum play area of 2 m x 1.5 m (6 ft 6 in x 5 ft).
https://www.htcvive.com/us/support/howto/720448.html

The Oculus Rift doesn't have any specific play area requirements, since it's currently only designed to be played while seated.
Old 08-24-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
The big casualty to DriveClub VR compared to the standard version is the excellent weather rendering. The deferred lighting is also compromised, LODs are more aggressive and 12 CPU racers is reduced to eight. Let's see how Neo rebalances the equation, but even in its standard form, the sense of presence clearly trumps the downgrades.
Old 08-24-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a pretty awesome setup, but probably wouldn't be half as cool using a controller.

On another note, I canceled my pre-order. There just isn't enough fully developed content to drop $500 on. I don't want to be stuck playing mini games and other stuff that was thrown together at launch. If I hear enough good things, I might pick up one next year, but I'm not too worried about it for now.
Old 08-25-16, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was curious how the fairly "weak" specs of the PS4 would handle VR compared to the steep requirements we see on PC, I guess downgrading visuals is the solution.
Old 09-23-16, 03:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

Yeesh.
Palmer Luckey: The Facebook Near-Billionaire Secretly Funding Trump’s Meme Machine

Before becoming directly involved in the process, Luckey met the man who would serve as the liaison for the nascent political action group, and provide legitimacy to a Reddit audience for later donations without having to reveal Luckey’s identity: Breitbart tech editor and Trump booster Milo Yiannopoulos. The bleached-blonde political agitator is most notable for being permanently suspended from Twitter for harassment after a series of abusive messages to actress Leslie Jones.
Luckey first met the alt-right provocateur in Los Angeles about a year and a half ago, before Yiannopoulos began working on a charity to send white men to college. The Daily Beast later reported that the scholarship fund had resulted in zero financial distribution of the donations that had been made directly to Yiannopoulos’s bank account.
Sounds like a lovely guy.
Old 09-23-16, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks like some developers are dropping support for Oculus too -

http://kotaku.com/vr-developers-spea...t-o-1787013760
Old 09-23-16, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

Didn't the guy sell it to Facebook and he no longer has any involvement in the company?
Old 09-23-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

I hate Trump, but pulling support for a platform over politics is dumb.
Old 09-23-16, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2
I hate Trump, but pulling support for a platform over politics is dumb.
Not with what's at stake.
Old 10-05-16, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

PSVR reviews are out today.

IGN gave it an 8.5 - http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/...tion-vr-review

Sony has managed to make its lower-priced PlayStation VR headset competitive where it counts. Despite its relatively low resolution it looks very good in games, and the headset is comfortable to wear and easy to use after you’ve dealt with its many wires. Paired with the Move controllers it provides good but sometimes flakey motion tracking on your hands, but the PlayStation Camera’s limited viewing angle is a weakness, and so is its inability to see behind you.

Should you run out and buy one? That depends. The technology is astonishing but still in its infancy, and VR games that rival current console blockbusters are a long way off, so it won’t be as immediately useful as you might expect for a $400 to $500 price. However, it’s a lot of fun to be on the forefront of something as exciting as VR. Some of the best times I’ve had with my VR headsets are from wowing people who come over and try it for the first time, and that never gets old.
Kotaku - http://kotaku.com/playstation-vr-the...iew-1787424830

PlayStation VR is inferior to the competition in several significant ways. It’s also less expensive and easier to use, and for all its flaws it still manages to communicate the goofy, surreal joy of modern virtual reality. Time will tell if that makes it good enough. Best to wait and see.
Gamespot - http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pla.../1100-6444197/

I imagine some people will think it’s unfair that I’ve compared PlayStation VR to the Rift and Vive so many times in this review. I understand that the two other HMDs are much more expensive and require much more powerful PCs, but there’s a reason that high-quality VR is expensive. Sure, PSVR is more affordable, but it also takes shortcuts. While it sometimes works surprisingly well given these constraints, it reminds me of the adage, “you get what you pay for.”

As a VR fan, I want PSVR to succeed, but it trips up too many times to wholeheartedly recommend at this point. Many of the launch titles will make a large percentage of people sick, and it may lead to the false impression that VR has to make you nauseated.
If you have a PS4 and are dying to get PSVR, then I’d recommend the $499.99 bundle which includes the PlayStation Camera, two Move controllers, and PlayStation VR Worlds. If you have a PS4 and are simply curious about VR, I’d hold out until more titles are released. While there are a handful of fun titles, there’s nothing that I’ve played at launch so far to indicate to me that the PSVR is a must-buy right now. For everyone else, I’d recommend saving up for a better reality.
The Verge gave it an 8.5 - http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/5/13...et-controllers

All this adds up to a system that is, more than anything else, good enough. There’s no one game that justifies buying PlayStation VR, and no technical breakthrough that will revolutionize how you experience the medium. But it offers a balanced, interesting launch catalog and a headset that’s a joy to wear, with weak points that hurt the system but don’t cripple it. It effectively costs more than an actual PlayStation 4 console, but for many people, it’s still within the range of a holiday splurge or a generous gift. And it’s got the backing of a company that, even if it’s being cautious with VR, seems in it for the long haul.
Old 10-05-16, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll get this, but probably after a price drop. I'm usually an early adopter of add-ons like these... and then I look at my pile of unused toys and shake my head (Kinect, PS Move).
Old 10-05-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After reading some articles, they will probably have an updated box at some point too. The one it ships now can't pass through HDR. So if you want to use that option with your 4K TV, you would have to unplug the box every time and run it straight to the PS4 again.
Old 10-05-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
After reading some articles, they will probably have an updated box at some point too. The one it ships now can't pass through HDR. So if you want to use that option with your 4K TV, you would have to unplug the box every time and run it straight to the PS4 again.
Wow, that sounds terrible given how they're pushing the PS4 Pro.
Old 10-05-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Either an updated box.... or maybe they'll be able to update the existing box via a firmware upgrade.
Old 10-12-16, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone else picking up the PSVR tonight?

I have mine paid off, and ready at GameStop tonight. I'm hoping I can get it around 11pm so I can head to Best Buy and pick up Until Dawn : Rush of Blood, and Batman : Arkham VR w/GCU at their midnight launch.

I'm going to wait on VR Worlds hoping to find a used copy/sale in a while. Unfortunately the game I played at the VR demo days @ BB that I really liked was BattleZone VR, but I'm put off by the $59.99 price tag on that one.
Old 10-12-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

VR is a hard-pass for me. Tried it out, don't like the sensory isolation at all.
Old 10-13-16, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are looking for one of these things, it shouldn't be too hard to find. Currently in stock at Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop, etc. I'm curious if there were that many people that canceled their preorders or if they found a way to make that many more units in time for launch.
Old 10-13-16, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm interested on feedback from this group... I want to get this, but $500 is a bit steep for an unknown commodity.

I'm a bit pissed that neither Amazon nor Best Buy sent out an email "reminding" me about this product being available... makes me wonder if I'll find out about the mini NES in time to order it.
Old 10-13-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 285 Posts

I canceled my Walmart preorder and ordered from Amazon since stock was available for a Saturday delivery. Plus I get 5% cash back from Discover for buying there.
Old 10-13-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The GameStop I went to last night said they got 2 "core" sets (both pre-ordered), and 6 "complete" sets (originally 4 pre-ordered). He said they had 2 cancels on the "complete" set earlier in the week.

I stopped in Best Buy today and they had signs saying Stock available on both skus, and quite a few copies of each launch software title.
Old 10-13-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

I've been back and forth on Playstation VR, having preordered and then canceled a launch bundle. I was by a Best Buy on my lunch today, popped in, saw they had one launch bundle left and promptly bought it. After over 30 years, I've finally started getting bored with gaming in general and am hoping a fresh experience will rekindle how much I used to enjoy it. If not, I just wasted a bunch of money.

Anyway, I snagged the R.I.G.S., Batman and Until Dawn titles for now. I ought to be able to spend a couple hours with it tonight and will post some impressions when I get a chance. My only VR experiences have been with Google Cardboard, so I'll probably be more impressed than those who have already played with the Rift, Hive, etc.

Last edited by maxfisher; 10-13-16 at 03:28 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.