Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Old 01-14-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Totally agree Spain, although it depends on the site. The Verge for example usually has pretty positive comments. Engadget is probably the worst. Every time they post an article about it, there is a chorus of morons who say the product will never ship (despite already shipping 50k units), that it looks too heavy (despite people reporting shipped units weigh less than ski goggles), and that "no one wants to wear 3D glasses" (ignoring the whole point of VR). It is ridiculous because quite frankly, what Oculus have accomplished in a year is nothing short of astounding.

I think part of the problem is that unless you've experienced the Rift or something similar, it is really impossible to imagine what it is like. I remember when I first got 3D vision set up how mind blowing it was to me that a game character or object in the game looked so realistic you could reach out and touch it. The way all those fancy textures convert into 3D space is stunning and unexpected. While I haven't used the Rift, I think people who have can attest to an even more dramatic and convincing reaction.

We also have to acknowledge there are probably a lot of console players who won't even get a chance to use the Rift and need to console (ha!) themselves over that fact.

Check out the Oculus subreddit if you want a good Rift focused community. It is kind of the central hub for interested fans and Oculus employees.
Old 01-14-14, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83
The one thing i see holding the Rift back is you still need keyboard/mouse or a Gamepad. That kills the immersion factor.
A little bit, no doubt. Which is why all the best demos see the player seated in a cockpit of some kind to mitigate that break in immersion. I think after a few minutes you will forget about the controls to some extent.

On that note though, I'm really excited for the future of games designed for VR. For so long, games have been tied to manipulating controllers. Like in the SNES days, the challenge of a game was being skillful with the controller to move your character around floating platforms. Today, it is being skillful with the controller to move your crosshairs over a target. Of course strategy and immersion have also been part of it, but primarily it is about the controls.

With the Rift, I see games moving past that and being more about the experience of the game itself. As you correctly point out, the controls will just be a barrier to immersion that needs to be mitigated as much as possible so the experience feels real. I'm not sure how though.
Old 01-14-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 285 Posts

It is very disheartening to me to see the consoles not make more moves to push the Rift to their platform. Sony showing their thousand dollar VR glasses was frustrating. How can they show that with a straight face while the Rift is winning best of show awards for 2 years straight?

The thing is, I am a console gamer. I am not a fan of PC gaming. When the option is available I'm picking up the console version of a game before I pick up the PC version, even when it is categorically superior. I just prefer the ease. I like sitting on my couch. I like having a controller to mouse/keyboard combos.

However, if I have to build a gaming PC to fully utilize the Rift, I am ready to do that. I have been waiting for a development like this my whole life. I haven't even used it, but reading the reports, watching the YouTube videos, and following the experiences of those who have picked up the Developer version has me incredibly excited.
Old 01-14-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
It is very disheartening to me to see the consoles not make more moves to push the Rift to their platform. Sony showing their thousand dollar VR glasses was frustrating. How can they show that with a straight face while the Rift is winning best of show awards for 2 years straight?

The thing is, I am a console gamer. I am not a fan of PC gaming. When the option is available I'm picking up the console version of a game before I pick up the PC version, even when it is categorically superior. I just prefer the ease. I like sitting on my couch. I like having a controller to mouse/keyboard combos.

However, if I have to build a gaming PC to fully utilize the Rift, I am ready to do that. I have been waiting for a development like this my whole life. I haven't even used it, but reading the reports, watching the YouTube videos, and following the experiences of those who have picked up the Developer version has me incredibly excited.
...with Steam/Big Picture, Xbox 360 Wireless controllers (most games auto-map to it, and will change on-screen icons from say, "ENTER", to "A" on the fly), hell Wireless HDMI... PC Gaming is easier than ever (and cheaper, used to be a $200 card got you medium settings on current stuff. Now it pretty much maxes out most games at 1080p, and includes a free few games to boot (mine came with Splinter Cell Blacklist and Assassin's Creed 4).)

But I would like console support myself.
Old 01-14-14, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think as people purchase it, accessories negating those input options will be released. We already saw that company on Shark Tank with the frictionless treadmill. It's only a matter of time
I doubt that things like this will be more than a novelty. Useful mainly for fitness and the occasional game. How many gamers really want to spend hours of gaming time walking, running, and jumping?

For the Oculus Rift to become an integral part of gaming, it should focus on enhancing the couch experience rather than on trying to get gamers off of the couch.
Old 01-15-14, 07:53 AM

I see the primary control method (down the road) being motion based like the Hydra or Kinect to track your hands. Maybe something like Playstation Move so you can have a joystick and some buttons too. You don't really need dual sticks with the Rift since you can look around on your own. Only need to go forwards, backwards, and turn.
Old 01-15-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
I see the primary control method (down the road) being motion based like the Hydra or Kinect to track your hands. Maybe something like Playstation Move so you can have a joystick and some buttons too. You don't really need dual sticks with the Rift since you can look around on your own. Only need to go forwards, backwards, and turn.
I definitely want movement and aim removed from the look function if at all possible for future FPS developed for the Rift. For example, I hope they develop a way that you could shoot at someone in the peripheral of your vision. I also want to run in one direction while scanning the room by looking. Also being able to blind fire around a corner would be nice. This is getting a little off topic now though I think.
Old 01-16-14, 02:17 PM

I definitely want movement and aim removed from the look function if at all possible for future FPS developed for the Rift. For example, I hope they develop a way that you could shoot at someone in the peripheral of your vision. I also want to run in one direction while scanning the room by looking. Also being able to blind fire around a corner would be nice. This is getting a little off topic now though I think.
Yeah, I'm curious how disorienting mouse look would be in combination with head tracking.

Valve showed off their VR prototype at Steam Dev Days for a selection of developers. Apparently it was incredible. They took it a step beyond the rift and attached external facing cameras to the head-set, which tracked sensors around an empty room, allowing players to move around naturally in 3D environments. Apparently it was totally convincing and blew the minds of everyone who tried it. The headset was also a bit more advanced than the Rift, supposedly running two 1080p+ displays for higher resolution and FOV. It also had the head tracking and low persistence shown with on the Crystal Cove Rift.

Not a consumer product obviously, but it sounds pretty amazing, and Valve's commitment to the platform is huge.
Old 03-19-14, 03:50 PM

GDC. Sony has unveiled their PS4 VR prototype. Not to be outdone, Oculus today announced preorders of the developer kit version 2. Specs include a 1080p screen, positional tracking, low persistence, and 100 degree FOV. Basically the "crystal cove" prototype shown a few months back. $350 and it ships in July.

I'm very tempted, as always, but the even better news is that Oculus have confirmed the consumer release will have even greater resolution, probably 1440p. Very exciting stuff.

This really seems to be the year of VR. I've basically stopped gaming in anticipation, because most everything I play seems derivative and generic. These new experiences can't come soon enough IMO.
Old 03-19-14, 08:47 PM

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/19/55...it-2-announced

Video at the link is good. It shows the cool demo Oculus had on display, where two Rift players sit in a virtual living room with controllers as if playing a console, but they are playing a fighting game in the living room, the characters jumping on coffee tables and bookshelves, even the other player. The whole time you can just look around as if actually sitting there. Clever concept.
Old 03-25-14, 04:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

Facebook to acquire Oculus VR for $2 billion
http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/25/554...s-vr-2-billion

Get ready to POKE like you've never poked before.
Old 03-25-14, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice they got the cash, but this is so disheartening. Creator of Minecraft has already canceled the official port. Terrible news.
Old 03-25-14, 06:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Huge win for Sony
Old 03-25-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It sounds like a horrible development, but let's wait and see what actually happens. Surely they won't make it exclusive to Facebook games or something.
Old 03-25-14, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Don't see how this is in any way a good idea for Facebook. At least Sony is in the electronics business.
Old 03-25-14, 06:20 PM

WTF??? I read the headline and had to check and be sure it wasn't April Fools. This is just about the most awful news I've heard.
Old 03-25-14, 06:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I sincerely hope this is Facebook's way of diversifying their portfolio, and not some lamebrain attempt to integrate VR into the Facebook ecosystem. You think autoplay ads are annoying now? Just wait until they fill your entire field of vision!
Old 03-25-14, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
WTF??? I read the headline and had to check and be sure it wasn't April Fools. This is just about the most awful news I've heard.
Spoiler:

Old 03-25-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Went from kickstarter, to going on shark tank and now billionaire
Old 03-25-14, 07:16 PM

They were on Shark Tank? Really?
Old 03-25-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

They were not. It was a guy who created a companion device for oculus and showed his device in conjunction with it.
Old 03-25-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No. A peripheral company went on with a treadmill type thing. They used the Rift.
Old 03-26-14, 09:20 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Spoiler:
Old 03-26-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

I'm personally sick of the whole "I'm better than Facebook" mentality associated with tech bloggers. It's a big company, they make money with ads, you know like Google.

I think this is a good thing as long as they can run independently, and since it's so different from what Facebook normally does I don't see that being a problem.

That episode of Shark Tank was funny just because there's no way in hell that company is worth $20m.
Old 03-26-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Woops sorry guys, I thought it was the same guys.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.