DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-23-17, 04:26 PM   #326
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The VR Thread (Oculus Rift, Vive, Playstation VR)

Best Buy has several PSVR games on sale this week. Just a heads up for anyone interested.
Old 02-01-17, 01:23 PM   #327
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

They brought the Bundles back for the PSVR:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/01/...dles-are-back/
Old 02-01-17, 03:38 PM   #328
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, Gamestop has them in their ad this week, so they should be widely available in stores. Perfect timing for Resident Evil 7.
Old 02-01-17, 04:38 PM   #329
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/1/1447...awsuit-verdict

Quote:
A Dallas, Texas jury today awarded half a billion dollars to ZeniMax after finding that Oculus co-founder Palmer Luckey, and by extension Oculus, failed to comply with a non-disclosure agreement he signed.

In awarding ZeniMax $500 million, the jury also said that Oculus did not misappropriate trade secrets as contended by ZeniMax.

Of the $500 million, Oculus is paying out $200 million for breaking the NDA and $50 million for copyright infringement. Oculus and Luckey each have to pay $50 million for false designation. And Iribe has to pay $150 million for the same, final count.
http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/1/1447...lus-injunction

Quote:
Fresh off a half billion dollar award in its lawsuit against Oculus, ZeniMax tells Polygon that it may seek an injunction to temporarily stop the sale of Oculus Rift headsets.

“We will consider what further steps we need to take to ensure there will be no ongoing use of our misappropriated technology,” a ZeniMax spokesperson said, “including by seeking an injunction to restrain Oculus and Facebook from their ongoing use of computer code that the jury found infringed ZeniMax’s copyrights.”

That code formed the basis of the Oculus Rift’s software.
Even with Facebook's backing, that seems like a pretty big hit to one of the major players in the VR market.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 02-03-17, 11:41 AM   #330
faust69

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/3/1449...ally-supported

Although the article is mainly about external HDD support, it also mentions that Playstation VR will be able to view 3-D Blu-rays with the next update.
Old 02-06-17, 10:24 AM   #331
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust69 View Post
http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/3/1449...ally-supported

Although the article is mainly about external HDD support, it also mentions that Playstation VR will be able to view 3-D Blu-rays with the next update.
I watched a bit of Ghostbusters (the new one) with the new beta update. It's pretty cool. The biggest downfall is that, although the picture quality for watching movies on PSVR is decent, it's still not great in general. It still has that screen-door effect going on, which is most prevalent in daylight scenes. I think I'm going to watch Dredd 3D tonight.

On another note, I guess this was added months ago, but I finally ran Hulu on my PSVR, and it has some pretty cool modes where you can watch content in a virtual living room, movie theatre, or beach. The only downside to the theatre option is that it curves the screen, which looks a little strange, but the feature is pretty sweet. Too bad it can't be used with other apps, or non-VR games, or with Blu-ray discs.
Old 02-09-17, 12:38 PM   #332
Brian T
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it.

"Facebook is closing hundreds of its Oculus VR pop-ups in Best Buys after some stores went days without a single demo"
http://www.businessinsider.com/faceb...ormance-2017-2
Old 02-09-17, 06:20 PM   #333
edstein
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

VR is dead until the price is more affordable.
Old 02-26-17, 09:59 AM   #334
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

If you're curious about PSVR sales:

Quote:
It turns out Mr. House was too cautious. The headset, PlayStation VR, has been scarce in many stores, especially in Japan, since it went on sale in October. In an interview at his Silicon Valley office on Friday, Mr. House revealed PlayStation VR’s sales for the first time, saying consumers had purchased 915,000 of the headsets as of Feb. 19, roughly four months after it went on sale.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 03-17-17, 03:01 PM   #335
BasementArt2

I looked around and didn't see anyone mention it, but did anyone play Rez Infinity for PSVR? The original Dreamcast Rez was brilliant, and so I am wanting to pick up PSVR almost just to try this.