Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Blizzard Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft CCG

Old 03-22-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blizzard Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft CCG

http://kotaku.com/5991891/blizzard-r...es-of-warcraft
Free to play ccg on PC /Mac / iPad.

This is not what I was hoping for when I heard there was going to be a Blizz announcement at Pax East...
Old 11-14-13, 03:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Blizzard Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft CCG

I have been playing in the closed beta for this...and I have to say, I like it.

Basically, it's a CCG (collectable card game) set in the Warcraft universe. And because it's Blizzard, a lot of attention has been paid to making things accessible and easy to jump into. The game does a good job of introducing the mechanics before setting you loose against the world.

There are two sets of cards: basic cards, which everybody gets for free by leveling up (you get XP by playing games), and expert cards which are found in packs. Packs can be bought for real-life money, of course, but you can also earn gold in-game and buy them that way. Decks are small...exactly 30 cards...and the game plays fast.

There are nine "classes" -- each class has it's own special ability and unique cards. There are also several neutral cards which can be used by any class. You get mana each turn in incremental amounts (1 mana, 2 mana, etc) and use that to cast spells and put out "minions". Matches are head-to-head, with the objective of taking your foe down from 30 hp to 0.

Currently there are three game modes: "Play" (compete against other people using a deck you construct from your collection), "Practice" (same as play, but against the AI), and "Arena". Arena has an admittance fee ($1.99 or 150 gold) and you construct a deck based on a random assortment of cards. After that you, keep playing others until you win 9 or lose 3...which ever comes first. Based on how well you do, you get an assortment of prizes (which always includes a pack of cards).

Anyway, thought I'd mention it here since I know there are a few folks around who enjoy CCG games. It's still in closed beta, but open beta should be starting up next month, with a full release in the spring.
Old 11-21-13, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

If anyone wants an extra Beta invite, I have a key.

EDIT: Gone

Last edited by fumanstan; 11-21-13 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-21-13, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Stan!
Old 02-15-14, 03:05 AM

Heartstone is in Open Beta

If you ever played MTG, you will probably like this new game by Blizzard.

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (can't add a link, I'm new)

It's easy to pick up and fast paced game. Runs perfectly on tablet too.*

Add me up to anyone who plays. They will probably implement a trading system soon.
Old 02-19-14, 09:24 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Heartstone is in Open Beta

i thought you could only get it on your PC right now? You can download beta on iPad? I have been wanting to try this game out.
Old 02-19-14, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No iPad version yet, just PC/Mac. I hadn't even heard of this until I saw it's a very popular stream on Twitch. I haven't been into PC games for ages. Despite having a MacBook Air that the game claimed was below requirements on CPU speed, I downloaded the beta anyway and it seems to run just fine. How demanding can a CCG be anyway? It's a LOT of fun but boy, do I suck at it! I've mostly been playing practice matches, and mostly been losing. I think I've only unlocked 4-5 of the heroes. I've played a few online matches and won one of them.
Old 02-19-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This game is gonna take over the world. For realz.
Old 02-19-14, 01:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Merging threads...now in Open Beta!
Old 03-13-14, 09:51 AM

I played this for the first time yesterday so i could get the free WoW mount. It seems pretty simple when compared to MtG. I haven't unlocked any other other heroes though as I only played the minimal amount required to win 3 online games.

From my limited experience (4 online games), the deal 1 dmg to all enemy creatures spell seems a bit overpowered. I think it should be deal 1 dmg to ALL creatures. The guy I was playing was probably mad that my 1 spell cleared out his entire army of 5 murlocs that he had just played the previous turn. I am also not sure I like the hero's special power of dealing 1 dmg to anything. I basically use it to pick off the enemies creatures when I have nothing else to play.
Old 03-18-14, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been playing the shit out of this and now that it's out of beta, I'm still playing it. I just can't seem to get above lvl 18 though, I run into some good players. Oh well.
Old 04-17-14, 07:42 AM
wlj

https://itunes.apple.com/app/hearths...7520?ls=1&mt=8

now on the iPad...woot! i am going to give it a try
Old 04-17-14, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I will have to borrow my wife's iPad while she sleeps, lol. It is coming to iPhone too right? Also, I think if you play on the iPad you get a free card pack.
Old 04-17-14, 08:17 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by Gooter
I will have to borrow my wife's iPad while she sleeps, lol. It is coming to iPhone too right? Also, I think if you play on the iPad you get a free card pack.

from what i read an iPhone and Android release is later this year. only iPad now. I am looking forward to trying this tonight. I have wanted to play, but just not got around to it. It was something I would rather play on the iPad anyway. It is supposed to be fairly simple to learn right?
Old 04-17-14, 05:06 PM

I got this on release day and have been enjoying it so far. As an experienced MTG player I picked it up pretty quickly. The only thing so far I don't really get is the crafting system. Can someone explain how that works?
Old 06-13-14, 09:56 PM

I friggin' love this game, but it really is brutal on newcomers at this point. "Casual" doesn't appear to have any kind of matchmaking at all, so if you're new, you'll probably still be playing against people with all kinds of legendaries/epics/rares in their carefully tuned decks. "Arena" is theoretically better since everyone gets cards from the same pool, but unless you already have a lot of experience with the Arena card pool and the strengths of the different classes, you'll probably still get spanked (which is exactly what happens to me). Oddly, "Ranked" is probably the best for newcomers, which doesn't make any intuitive sense at all. I've only been playing a few weeks, and I don't usually play "Ranked," but I've gotten up to 17 in Ranked with pretty basic cards.

The big problem (to me) is that most of the daily rewards are tied to WINNING, instead of being tied to PLAYING. That sucks for people discovering the game six months after many of the regular players, since those folks already have so damn many cards/dust they can make whatever decks they want. The rewards should all be like "cast 100 spells" or "kill 100 enemy minions."

I've never spent actual money on the game, and I just got my first Legendary in a pack a couple of days ago. I dusted it so I could make several halfway decent uncommon cards, which I desperately needed just to stand a chance against other players. Probably every two or three games I play, I see people with cards I've never seen before.

Last edited by marginal; 06-14-14 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-22-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Happy Naxxaramas Day!
Old 09-17-14, 07:50 AM
wlj

Anyone playing this? I have just gotten into it over the weekend. i am using a Mage. I was getting my butt kicked in every match with a human until last night. I was able to win 6 PVP matches. Either I was paired with bad players or I am just getting better. I hope the latter is correct.

my tag is greywolfsif#1556 if anyone wants to play sometime.
Old 12-17-14, 07:56 AM
wlj

For all of you Android tablet users, Hearthstone is now available.
Old 12-17-14, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
For all of you Android tablet users, Hearthstone is now available.
About time...

Played through the tutorial matches last night. Fun tablet fsme, but I don't expect I'll become as addicted as some people out there. I'll bet they said the same thing, though.
Old 12-17-14, 11:09 AM
wlj

yeah, HS is my first card game, other than spades or go fish

I am utterly addicted. If you told me a few months ago I would be obsessed with a card game I would have called you an idiot.

add me and we can play sometime -- greywolfsif#1556

what class are you using?
Old 05-18-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I started playing this again a couple weeks ago when i got a new phone. its fun but can be frustrating
Old 05-18-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

its better with a custom deck. the basic deck will get you no where fast.
Old 05-18-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

yeah i used online guides to create a custom deck out of the basic cards. it seems like its going to take forever to get good cards from packs
Old 05-18-15, 02:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been playing it on and off for a while. It does take a lot of grinding to get to a place where you feel good about your deck.

I'm debating whether or not I want to pony up for the expansions.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.