Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox One Pre-Release Thread: Upscaled to 1080p! (11/22/2013)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox One Pre-Release Thread: Upscaled to 1080p! (11/22/2013)

Old 09-10-13, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Xbox One: Thoughts Turn Ironic on November 22nd

Originally Posted by slop101
It's not about hacking.

It's not even about paranoia, it's the contribution to the derailing of original thought that this sort of constant "under-observation" society can bring about. It's already happening. We've gotten so used to a level of surveillance now that would've been not just unheard of back in the '70s or '80s, but completely unacceptable. But now, because it's been happening so gradually, there's this attitude of [exaggerating] "so what, what do I care if someone's watching me masturbate. I'm not ashamed of that..." Which is totally not even the point.

It's just such a fundamental WRONG that I can't even explain it to someone who doesn't have a problem with an ever-watching camera in their living room. I'm 42, and in the '80s, Orwell's 1984 wasn't some science fiction, but rather a cautionary tale about how life will be if the Soviets win; a camera in your home, and your entire life under surveillance. We actually developed a nuclear arsenal because we'd rather destroy the human species, rather than be subjugated into that sort of society. That's how the cold war was sold to us: live free or die. So being brought up under that, when I hear that there's going to be a game console which, by the way, bugs your house so they can sell your conversations to advertisers, my gut reaction is to want to burn down the factory where they're making these things.
I can sympathize with all of this. Well...everything before the last comma.
Old 09-10-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It's not about hacking.

It's not even about paranoia, it's the contribution to the derailing of original thought that this sort of constant "under-observation" society can bring about. It's already happening. We've gotten so used to a level of surveillance now that would've been not just unheard of back in the '70s or '80s, but completely unacceptable. But now, because it's been happening so gradually, there's this attitude of [exaggerating] "so what, what do I care if someone's watching me masturbate. I'm not ashamed of that..." Which is totally not even the point.

It's just such a fundamental WRONG that I can't even explain it to someone who doesn't have a problem with an ever-watching camera in their living room. I'm 42, and in the '80s, Orwell's 1984 wasn't some science fiction, but rather a cautionary tale about how life will be if the Soviets win; a camera in your home, and your entire life under surveillance. We actually developed a nuclear arsenal because we'd rather destroy the human species, rather than be subjugated into that sort of society. That's how the cold war was sold to us: live free or die. So being brought up under that, when I hear that there's going to be a game console which, by the way, bugs your house so they can sell your conversations to advertisers, my gut reaction is to want to burn down the factory where they're making these things.
I can see why you would feel that way, but it's no more WRONG to disagree and feel otherwise, especially if it's just a generational thing. And i'm an IT guy and have had my share of security dealings too, so i'm not obtuse to current state of security this generation.

To me, flipping out over a camera on a video gaming system is still an overreaction.

Originally Posted by bippitty
Some folks here, apparently, believe that only the paranoid would want to unplug it.

Is it paranoid to lock your doors? A lot of houses get robbed, sure. But can you provide any links to my house getting robbed? Even houses that have locked doors get robbed. You have the option to lock your doors, but you're a nutjob if you do.
So no, no one is against the option to unplug it. The house example is a bit overboard, but do you also never make online purchases, have social media accounts in Facebook, Twitter, etc., or have any sort of online presence? Those have been hacked, but if you still happily use them isn't that just as bad as worrying about a Kinect camera? That's all i'm getting at giving the citations of other cameras being hacked that you provided.

Regardless the rest of the conversation here is silly, the Kinect can be unplugged so it's a non issue if I think it's paranoia for people that still somehow want the convenience of an on/off switch.
Old 09-10-13, 05:45 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

It's not about hacking.

I understand some of what you're saying, but the Soviets winning what exactly? The Cold War? Did anyone really win this?
Old 09-10-13, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
So no, no one is against the option to unplug it. The house example is a bit overboard, but do you also never make online purchases, have social media accounts in Facebook, Twitter, etc., or have any sort of online presence? Those have been hacked, but if you still happily use them isn't that just as bad as worrying about a Kinect camera? That's all i'm getting at giving the citations of other cameras being hacked that you provided.

Regardless it's silly, the Kinect can be unplugged so it's a non issue if I think it's paranoia for people that still somehow want the convenience of an on/off switch.
No, he's a computer program like Tron.
Old 09-10-13, 06:56 PM

So no, no one is against the option to unplug it. The house example is a bit overboard, but do you also never make online purchases, have social media accounts in Facebook, Twitter, etc., or have any sort of online presence?
I do. But just like my house, I take what precautions I can.

Those have been hacked, but if you still happily use them isn't that just as bad as worrying about a Kinect camera? That's all i'm getting at giving the citations of other cameras being hacked that you provided.
The only issue that I have left with MS over Kinect is that I won't get any use out of it, so I don't want to pay for it. I would've only been worried about it if I couldn't unplug it. Just because I lock my doors doesn't mean I'm in a frenzy of fear.

Regardless the rest of the conversation here is silly, the Kinect can be unplugged so it's a non issue if I think it's paranoia for people that still somehow want the convenience of an on/off switch.
I don't read anybody demanding that MS provide an on/off switch. If enough people want one, someone will probably put one out for a buck or two. Not a high price to pay for a little convenience. You obviously thought it was an issue worth commenting on, I thought the same.
Old 09-10-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

I lock my doors because there are more nut jobs on the outside of it, than on the inside.

I have turned off the Kinect via the 360 options since I don't use it unless I am playing a Kinect game, which isn't off due to the space needed in the living room.

If MS or anyone else wants to secretly turn it on and watch me play whack-a-mole, then more power to them.

Last edited by Music; 09-10-13 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-10-13, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Music
If MS or anyone else wants to secretly turn it on watch me play whack-a-mole, then more power to them.
I have reported you to the ASPCA.
Old 09-10-13, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
If MS or anyone else wants to secretly turn it on and watch me play whack-a-mole, then more power to them.
So you solely only ever play video games in the room your Xbox One will be in?
Old 09-10-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 09-10-13, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I do. But just like my house, I take what precautions I can.

The only issue that I have left with MS over Kinect is that I won't get any use out of it, so I don't want to pay for it. I would've only been worried about it if I couldn't unplug it. Just because I lock my doors doesn't mean I'm in a frenzy of fear.
To me, your online presence across multiple sites is far more worrisome then having a Kinect connected if you have any privacy fears. I can see why people get scared over a camera because it feels more intimate, but worrying about one so much more then the other is still a bit strange to me.

I don't read anybody demanding that MS provide an on/off switch. If enough people want one, someone will probably put one out for a buck or two. Not a high price to pay for a little convenience. You obviously thought it was an issue worth commenting on, I thought the same.
Yes, the ongoing paranoia is interesting enough for me to comment on. That wasn't the point of that sentence, just didn't mean to diverge to another privacy discussion that is irrelevant since the Kinect can be unplugged anyway.

Last edited by fumanstan; 09-10-13 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-10-13, 08:27 PM

To me, your online presence across multiple sites is far more worrisome then having a Kinect connected if you have any privacy fears. I can see why people get scared over a camera because it feels more intimate, but worrying about one so much more then the other is still a bit strange to me.
I don't know that people are more worried about Kinect than other privacy threats. The Kinect seems more immediately relevant to a "What do you think about Microsoft's new console?" thread.

Yes, the ongoing paranoia is interesting enough for me to comment on. That wasn't the point of that sentence.
And I find it interesting that some find taking a small precaution, that is both more effective than and easier than locking your doors, to be paranoia.
Old 09-10-13, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know that people are more worried about Kinect than other privacy threats. The Kinect seems more immediately relevant to a "What do you think about Microsoft's new console?" thread.
I didn't mean to insinuate that the Kinect is somehow a bigger deal then national security threats or anything, but merely in the context of this thread and the examples I gave. I don't think you get my point with the previous examples, so i'm just going to delete the response I had written since I think this is derailing the thread.
Old 09-10-13, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Again, to me the equivalent response to believing the Kinect should be completely disconnected for security reasons would be to completely delete multiple online profiles that exist, which is just as easy...
That comparison doesn't make sense. When people disconnect a Kinect, they can reconnect it at will and be using it again in no time. Whereas deleting an online profile would necessitate recreating it to go back on that site/service, then deleting it again when done, then recreating it again, etc.... which seems like far more hassle.

To me, disconnecting the Kinect would be more akin to simply logging out of online profiles when done. Sure, many of us stay logged into one site or service almost always, and don't even bother logging out when closing a browser or shutting down a PC, but the option is there, and those that are a little more security/privacy conscious can choose to do so.
Old 09-10-13, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jay G.
That comparison doesn't make sense. When people disconnect a Kinect, they can reconnect it at will and be using it again in no time. Whereas deleting an online profile would necessitate recreating it to go back on that site/service, then deleting it again when done, then recreating it again, etc.... which seems like far more hassle.

To me, disconnecting the Kinect would be more akin to simply logging out of online profiles when done. Sure, many of us stay logged into one site or service almost always, and don't even bother logging out when closing a browser or shutting down a PC, but the option is there, and those that are a little more security/privacy conscious can choose to do so.
The point was about taking precautions, as logging out doesn't eliminate your profile from being publicly accessible.

But like my edited post above, I'm happier just moving on. Didn't mean to derail things that much.
Old 09-10-13, 09:15 PM

Didn't mean to derail things that much.
So now we're back to train wrecks again.
Old 09-10-13, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Do people still not understand that the Xbox One turns completely off if you desire? Nobody is going to spy on you...nobody WANTS to spy on you. The end.
Old 09-10-13, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to spy.
Old 09-10-13, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Do people still not understand that the Xbox One turns completely off if you desire?
I'm sure some don't.

Nobody is going to spy on you...nobody WANTS to spy on you. The end.
Odd then, that there's so much of it about.
Old 09-11-13, 12:31 AM

Odd then, that there's so much of it about.
Because so many are prone to embrace paranoia?
Old 09-11-13, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

I found this at CAG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDlPs7Xx2gA

Not sure if it was posted before, or if it's even up anymore, but kind of cool anyway.
Old 09-11-13, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Do people still not understand that the Xbox One turns completely off if you desire?
Actually, no, the Xbox One doesn't ever turn off completely; it enters a low-power mode. This allows it to "wake up" for system updates.
http://www.ibtimes.com/xbox-one-top-...onsole-1275809

Also, the Kinect stays in a minimal mode, listening for "Xbox On". And MS originally wouldn't let the Kinect be unplugged and have the Xbox One still work at all. People worried about it listening for other things.

So being able to disconnect the Kinect gave these people some sense of security, knowing that it couldn't be used to secretly spy on them if it's not plugged in.
Old 09-11-13, 07:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I found this at CAG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDlPs7Xx2gA

Not sure if it was posted before, or if it's even up anymore, but kind of cool anyway.

Posted a few days ago...few pages back
Old 09-11-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RE: Spying

I would compare it to using your phone/cellphone. The government can record/watch you if needed. Do you need to have an smartphone with you all the time?

And yeah, if they think you are terrorist is more easy that they go after your smartphone than your Kinect.
Old 09-11-13, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
And yeah, if they think you are terrorist is more easy that they go after your smartphone than your Kinect.
Why do you think it's easier? Wouldn't they want to survey their target from all available devices?
Old 09-11-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

omg... enough with this... if you really want to talk about spying, then take it to Other or Politics.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.