Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bungie - Destiny

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Bungie - Destiny

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, this is basically Destiny 1.0 and the games of today, especially this type of game, will go through various upgrades/expansions, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if a "Game of the Year" version pops out in 2015. This seems to be one of the first games of its kind and I expect great things in the future.
One of the first games of its kind? Really?
Old 09-15-14, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
One of the first games of its kind? Really?

Give me some examples of others of this genre.
Old 09-15-14, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Give me some examples of others of this genre.
Warframe. Borderlands. There that's two which have many similarities. This is a fun enough game, but I don't see anything new here.
Old 09-15-14, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by flashburn
Warframe. Borderlands. There that's two which have many similarities. This is a fun enough game, but I don't see anything new here.
I remember Borderlands but was bored by it.
Old 09-15-14, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This game is more similar to Defiance than either of those, although that one is third-person. And for all of Defiance's faults, at least it did the social stuff right. Destiny does not.
Old 09-15-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...utive-producer

Says the game gets better basically after you beat it and get beyond level 20. Does it unlock the real game? Will we actually start caring about the story? A bunch of hyperbole.
Beat the game, then it's fun!

That's like the "Slog through the first 25 terrible hours of Final Fantasy, then it's fun!" nonsense. No thank you.
Old 09-15-14, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
This game is more similar to Defiance than either of those, although that one is third-person. And for all of Defiance's faults, at least it did the social stuff right. Destiny does not.
Spot on. That's why I made my quote a few pages back about it reminded me a lot of Defiance with better graphics, but Defiance was more fun to play. The public events in Defiance were a lot of fun.

Also, another annoyance, when I signed on around 2pm central today, I got a system message that the game world was about to be rebooted and to expect inactivity and to visit their website for more info. I decided not to play any missions cause I didn't want to be in the middle of one and them reboot the server losing progress.

I played a few games of PvP just to pass the time. Never got booted but do they give a countdown or anything when they are resetting things? At least Defiance gave you an exact time. I didn't have to go to their website to figure out when they are taking it down.

Last edited by Barth; 09-15-14 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-15-14, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, another annoyance, when I signed on around 2pm central today, I got a system message that the game world was about to be rebooted and to expect inactivity and to visit their website for more info. I decided not to play any missions cause I didn't want to be in the middle of one and them reboot the server losing progress.

I got the same message today and it let me play and there was no interruption whatsoever. In fact, there was a small game update I was asked to download, so maybe that was a patch?

I finally powered up enough to kill the fatboys ON mARS. I'm at Level 18 now.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 09-15-14 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-16-14, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like they are opening The Vault of Glass today, but you will need a full fireteam of level 26 to enter.
Old 09-16-14, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...utive-producer

Says the game gets better basically after you beat it and get beyond level 20. Does it unlock the real game? Will we actually start caring about the story? A bunch of hyperbole.
After level 20 the game becomes a grindfest where you do the same things over and over and over again in the hopes of getting better loot. Oh, and the drops are entirely luck-based and very, very stingy. And then when you finally get a purple engram after 3 hours of farming, the cryptarch transforms it into a blue item that's worse than what you already have equipped. And then you curse.

Hopefully Bungie listens to the overwhelmingly negative feedback they're getting about the endgame loot system and give it an overhaul. If they do that, the game is going to be more fun in a month or two than it is now. If they don't, everyone's going to move on to other games.
Old 09-16-14, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MoviePage
This game is more similar to Defiance than either of those...
Have you played a lot of Warframe? Destiny absolutely feels like a dumbed down Warframe to me.

And it's also a lot like Borderlands with some very very light MMO elements...not enough elements to add a sense of community mind you, but definitely enough to add some ridiculous load times.

Maybe I'll give Defiance a look. Didn't realize it was in this vein.
Old 09-16-14, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Maybe I'll give Defiance a look. Didn't realize it was in this vein.
FYI, base game is free to play on PS3.
Old 09-16-14, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gooter
FYI, base game is free to play on PS3.

That controller though...hard to go back.
Old 09-16-14, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Defiance had the right concept and is similar in some ways but instead of different worlds and environments is was more like one huge area with a smaller one attached. The character builds and classes close to the same and also had the special drop missions where everyone got there fast to take part. You had three factions you went up against. It was fun but I felt like I was on one big Merry-Go-Round after awhile.

And Borderlands was fun to but would've been better if you saw others crossing the same area and playing along side like you do in Destiny. It didn't have public events but like Destiny and Defiance had the side missions. And to Level up you basically replayed the entire story from scratch, seeing the same places, same enemies but just tougher. You take four characters thru each twice that becomes a tad to much after awhile.

PS....The Vault of Glass Raid starts 2am Pacific time and it is not a timed event but from what little is out there don't even think about going unless you're way up.

Last edited by K&AJones; 09-16-14 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-16-14, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
\
And Borderlands was fun to but would've been better if you saw others crossing the same area and playing along side like you do in Destiny.
See, I don't like that about Destiny at all. It's fine if I opt for it, but when I'm playing single player story, seeing other players bouncing around the level really takes me out of it.
Old 09-16-14, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't imagine how disappointed you'd be if you bought this game for the story.
Old 09-16-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by K&AJones
And Borderlands was fun to but would've been better if you saw others crossing the same area and playing along side like you do in Destiny. It didn't have public events but like Destiny and Defiance had the side missions. And to Level up you basically replayed the entire story from scratch, seeing the same places, same enemies but just tougher. You take four characters thru each twice that becomes a tad to much after awhile.
It'd be nice if people did that in Destiny too! With a maximum of 4 people in the world at once, I barely even come across anyone, yet alone have an opportunity to team up together. Hell, it seems like when I'm doing a mission there's other people running around doing completely different things, so there isn't even a reason to team up. I think it just randomly throws people in a game together, regardless if they are doing patrol or a specific story mission.
Old 09-16-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't imagine how disappointed you'd be if you bought this game for the story.
It has less to do with story and more to do with immersion.
Old 09-16-14, 11:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
See, I don't like that about Destiny at all. It's fine if I opt for it, but when I'm playing single player story, seeing other players bouncing around the level really takes me out of it.
I don't think it should. In the story, it's clear that there's multiple guardians, so it wouldn't be odd for you to encounter them from time to time.
Old 09-16-14, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the DS4
Old 09-16-14, 11:10 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Problem solved.
Old 09-16-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't think it should. In the story, it's clear that there's multiple guardians, so it wouldn't be odd for you to encounter them from time to time.
But then I'm on this singular mission, so what are these other knuckleheads up to?
Old 09-16-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought PS3 had a patch that enabled DS4 to be used wirelessly. Could be wrong, but I thought I remember reading that. Haven't touched my PS3 in forever.
Old 09-16-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But then I'm on this singular mission, so what are these other knuckleheads up to?
Reminds me when I tried Elder Scrolls Online, and the story is that you are the "chosen one". Yeah, that makes sense in an MMO, .
Old 09-16-14, 11:41 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Other missions in the same general area?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.