Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bungie - Destiny

Old 05-07-14, 11:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Bungie - Destiny

Originally Posted by Barth
Sorry, paid "experts" did....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/08/26/brink-preview-2

I think first paragraph stands for itself.
It's laughable that "single-player" is in the very first sentence when it's a multi-player only game (something that the marketing kept very close to the vest right up until launch).
Old 05-07-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...n-ps4-and-ps3/

Before Destiny launches on September 9th and tries to be the “best-selling new video game IP in history,” Activision confirmed in their recent financial reporting that the Destiny beta will start in July 2014. Since Bungie is partnering with Sony on parts of Destiny, the beta will appear first on PS4 and PS3, which you gain access to by pre-ordering the game.

During their investor earnings call yesterday (via Seeking Alpha), Activision CEO Bobby Kotick said, “Pre-orders for [Destiny] are tracking towards setting an industry record for a new franchise,” according to Activision Blizzard internal estimates.

Later in the call, Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing, was asked if “the performance of recent other next-gen releases gives you any hesitation with respect to the lack of a single-player mode for Destiny?” He replied

As far as your question on Destiny, I think that the framing of your question actually plays to one of Destiny’s strengths, which is that it does have a single-player experience, and it has multiple different ways to play the game. So we’re not putting all our chips on multiplayer the way some others have been offering a wide variety of content and game modes. So no matter what way you like to play, Destiny has a great experience for you

Hirshberg also said, “We look forward to showing you more at E3 with our great partner, Sony.” E3 2014 is also where Bungie will confirm the exact start date for Destiny’s beta.
Old 05-07-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now there are an estimated 700K+ pre-orders for Destiny spreading across the four platforms. However, this is a game that has been able to pre-order for over a year as the game was originally slated to have come out by now. That's not setting an industry record when you take into consideration per say...
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts reached over 2.5M pre-orders across six platforms.
  • Grand Theft Auto V reached over 4M pre-orders across two platforms.
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II reached over 3.5M pre-orders over one platform.
  • Halo 4 and Halo: Reach reached over 2M pre-orders on one platform.
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Call of Duty: Black Ops reached over 4M pre-orders across three platforms.
Comparing it to a new IP, Titanfall had nearly 1M pre-orders across its three platforms. In a lot of these circumstances, these games were only available to pre-order 6-8 months before street. Grand Theft Auto V was available to pre-order since last decade ().

This game is going to be huge since it's Bungie's first game in four years. However, pre-orders won't really kick into gear once the beta begins.
Old 05-07-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

Looking at your list... sequel, sequel, sequel, sequel, sequel, sequel, sequel, sequel... you get the idea.

The only title worth comparing it to is Titanfall. MS promoted the shit out of Titanfall, whereas we're still too early for Destiny promo spots. If TF only managed 1m with all that promoting and Destiny is at 700k with zero advertising, I'd say they're looking pretty solid.

Also, the actual quote:
“Pre-orders for [Destiny] are tracking towards setting an industry record for a new franchise,”
Trending toward an industry record for a new franchise.
Old 05-07-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, this will easily pass Titanfall for preorders as we get closer, and especially since owners of both XBox and PS4 are probably just itching for more to play.
Old 05-07-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Looking at your list... sequel, sequel, sequel, sequel, sequel, sequel, sequel, sequel... you get the idea.

The only title worth comparing it to is Titanfall. MS promoted the shit out of Titanfall, whereas we're still too early for Destiny promo spots. If TF only managed 1m with all that promoting and Destiny is at 700k with zero advertising, I'd say they're looking pretty solid.

Also, the actual quote:

Trending toward an industry record for a new franchise.
there has been advertising ... it has been featured in one of PS4's "sharing" spots

just sayin
Old 05-07-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Titanfall was announced at last year's E3. Pre-orders went up June 2013, game was launched March 2014. That's an eight month time frame and Microsoft really began promoting the hell out of the game earlier this year.

Destiny was "officially" announced February 2013 during the PS4 reveal, but has been available for pre-order since November 2012 when the press kit was leaked.

Titanfall = 1M pre-orders in 8 months.
Destiny = 700K pre-orders in 18 months.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/yInw8LyWTN8?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/yInw8LyWTN8?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 05-07-14, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

As of E3 last year Destiny was confirmed by Activision/Bungie for a Spring release. The official pre-order campaign began in October.

But congrats on the epeen syndrome you got going on there.
Old 05-07-14, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 05-08-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Titanfall really got a big push from not only MS but video game sites and publications; far more than Destiny. One reason...Titanfall was THE game coming out for the XO and coming out far sooner than Destiny. At the time no-one really had a set date or clue as to when Destiny was coming out and details were still sketchy. I wouldn't doubt we'll see a bit more come E3 and a bigger push on all the consoles especially if the target is around early July for the beta run.
Old 05-08-14, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Destiny should have more preorders, sell more, than Titanfall because it's going to be in both consoles. Period.

And other than hardcore fanboys, no one cares what console was the dev lead. Regular PS4 fans want to finally play a Bungie game, Xbox fans want to play the new game from the Halo creators. Win-Win.
Old 05-08-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 285 Posts

I still don't know which system I am going to get Destiny on. I bought Titanfall (and the XB1) to mostly play with my friends, and most of them haven't really been into the game unfortunately.

Now, they all are saying they're getting Destiny for the XB1, but I was hoping to pick it up for PS4 since the rumors of it being the superior (if only slightly) version. I think I'm going to probably pick it up for the PS4, even though I don't have a huge friend's list there. Hopefully I can play with some people on here.
Old 05-08-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Get the PS4 version...we're already seeing enough here that almost warrants bringing back the DVD Talk Clan of long ago....when the first Halo came out on the Xbox...plenty of good times and laughs from back then.
Old 05-08-14, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I still don't know which system I am going to get Destiny on. I bought Titanfall (and the XB1) to mostly play with my friends, and most of them haven't really been into the game unfortunately.

Now, they all are saying they're getting Destiny for the XB1, but I was hoping to pick it up for PS4 since the rumors of it being the superior (if only slightly) version. I think I'm going to probably pick it up for the PS4, even though I don't have a huge friend's list there. Hopefully I can play with some people on here.
Get it for the ps4 as it could be a repeat of what just happened with Titanfall. Your friends get it, lose excitement for it and then you are stuck playing it by yourself or with annoying unknowns online.
Old 05-08-14, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between the early beta, some other undisclosed exclusive content and consistent differences in resolution/framerate for many games, the PS4 version seems like a no-brainer provided you have the option.

There will be a bunch of folks to play with on here, and a most of us are more friendly than we're made out to be. I'd suggest using Destiny as an opportunity to build your PS friends list.
Old 05-08-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I for one am looking forward to this game. Not just because it will be good but besides Warframe there hasn't been really any co-op play. I'm a co-op whore...love it and find it more entertaining and fun playing a with a small close group instead dealing with a large group arrogant, loud foul mouth childess whiners. I played co-op on Halo, Gears, Borderlands, Chost Recon, and now Diablo III on the 360. There really is not much now or coming soon in terms of co-op which I hope will change later on.
Old 05-08-14, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I for one am looking forward to this game. Not just because it will be good but besides Warframe there hasn't been really any co-op play. I'm a co-op whore...love it and find it more entertaining and fun playing a with a small close group instead dealing with a large group arrogant, loud foul mouth childess whiners. I played co-op on Halo, Gears, Borderlands, Chost Recon, and now Diablo III on the 360. There really is not much now or coming soon in terms of co-op which I hope will change later on.
Old 05-08-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
II'm a co-op whore...love it and find it more entertaining and fun playing a with a small close group instead dealing with a large group arrogant, loud foul mouth childess whiners. I played co-op on Halo, Gears, Borderlands, Chost Recon, and now Diablo III on the 360. There really is not much now or coming soon in terms of co-op which I hope will change later on.
I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again:

Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare.

Best community game that currently exists on the next-gen.
Old 05-24-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Possible good news for PS4 owners.....

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05/...ne-3rd-on-ps4/

Report: Bungie’s Destiny to Get Public Alpha on PS4; Launching on June 3rd
Old 05-24-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sweet!
Old 06-09-14, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cross posting this from NeoGAF. Bungie lead designer responding to criticism over the official and unofficial footage we've seen thus far:

Originally Posted by LukeSmith
There's a lot of confusion here, and we haven't done the best job ever of explaining the game or its structure.

I'm Luke, and I'm one of the lead designers on Destiny.

First, Destiny is structured into Activities.

We've attempted to build a suite of activities that can suit a variety of moods (I want something challenging! I want to chill out with my friends! I want to see where the story goes next! I want to shoot other players!, I want the game to be a cruel dominatrix! et cetera)

These activities come in a bunch of flavors:
  • Story missions - soloable activities (you can still play them in groups of up to 3!), often with ties to the main story arc of Destiny (the campaign). These activities appear at various Levels (numerical, relative to the player) and choosing a higher level (relative to you) means you're opting in for some additional challenge.
  • Strikes - 3 player activities, with bosses and loot at the end. Their goal is a highly replayable activity that will - at higher levels - lead you into the loot game.
  • Explore - cruise around the surface of a planet in Fireteams of up to 3, taking odd jobs and tasks for the City. You can find minerals and resources out in the world that you'll have some use for as you find weapons in Destiny that you want to stick with. This is a lower intensity activity
  • Raids - 6 player, cooperative required, communication required gameplay. High challenge. We haven't talked much about this yet and I'm not going start that conversation here on NeoGAF
  • Multiplayer This is for the "shoot other players" mood.

Now, the second part is how the world has been built.

We've structured Destiny's world to have places where you will probably intersect with other players, and places where you won't. We're not going to have players drop into the climax of a mission, but the common landing zones for a given planet? That seems like a great place to see other players running amok in the world.

EDIT: Regardless of what activity you're playing (PVP aside), you'll see players on their own activities, i.e., players beginning a Strike might see a guy collecting Relic Iron on Mars, and a Public Event begins and suddenly everyone is distracted to take down a key Cabal target for a chance at powerful gear and materials to upgrade your best weapons and armor.

A bunch of folks are playing the Alpha now and we're already seeing all kinds of opportunities for places to improve Destiny. I have no doubt that in the Public Beta, we will learn even more from your feedback and experiences.

I'm not going to get into any of the recurring activities or gearing or class stuff today, but I imagine we'll start to try and explain stuff more soon.
I've always been on board, as the game seems very much in my wheelhouse, but I also get that shooting bugs with bored Peter Dinklage might seem generic at face value.

Let's see what they have for us tonight.
Old 06-09-14, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Havng played Defiance on the 360 a lot the structure is somewhat close to though I'm sure more polished and massive. I liked the way Defiance was structured...a large open world, single play, drop-in & out, mini-side missions solo, friends or randoms and huge boss battles where everyone converged. You even had a decent amount of cusomization for your character.

It does sound like a mix of Borderlands, Defiance, Mass Effect. Am curious as to why the "3-player co-op" instead of four?
Old 06-09-14, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 460 Posts

So is this strictly multiplayer? Because that's the vibe I get from the few videos I've watched.
Old 06-09-14, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 285 Posts

I like the description. I never played Defiance, but it sounded interesting to me.
Old 06-09-14, 10:00 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think there is a little confusion over how preorders seem to work for games. My experience watching them over the last few years is they build up the closer a game gets to release...

From the much hated vgchartz

Titanfall preorders leading up to release..(usa)

10 weeks out..188,000 pre orders
9 weeks...199,000
8 weeks...206,000

Destiny currently has, 14 weeks out 315,000 for ps4, 276,000 xbox one, 123,000 xbox, 61,000 ps3

14 weeks out Titanfall added 10,000 preorders. 14 weeks out Destiny added 15,000 preorders. There is no doubt Destiny was front loaded a bit but at this point it will blow week one sales of titanfall out of the water. The question really is will both the xbox one and ps4 versions sale better than 900,000 copies Titanfall sold the first week.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.