Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bungie - Destiny

Old 04-29-14, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Bungie - Destiny

Not a great first impression. It being compared to Fuse is definitely not good. I was on board and excited for that game and I couldn't even bother to finish it. From the articles so far it looks and sounds like a beautiful version of Defiance.
This new gen kickoff looks like its going to take a while to find a system seller.
Old 04-29-14, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Chess for the codes and the Amazon pre-order tip. I'm all stocked up with the mystery codes and patiently waiting for the beta!
Old 04-29-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts

I canceled my pre-order. The video didn't really show me anything new or unique and my backlog is too great to take on a game that isn't stellar.
Old 04-29-14, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I think the game looks like........just another shooter.
Old 04-29-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Destiny will be differnt and there is still a lot unkown. I wouldn't base a opinion...good or bad...on anything we'e seen especially fron yesterday. IMOP...I don't see Destiny as a pure shooter nor do I think Bugie will make it that way. It'll have more depth than just running around and killing bad aliens.

One thing though there has been little in way of a solid co-op style shooter/action game. The closest has been Warframe but nothing much else nor is anything soon.
Old 04-29-14, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K&AJones
One thing though there has been little in way of a solid co-op style shooter/action game. The closest has been Warframe but nothing much else nor is anything soon.
Games over the past two years:
  • Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
  • Extinction mode in Call of Duty: Ghosts.
  • Zombies mode in Call of Duty: Black Ops II.
  • Co-op mode in Far Cry 3 (which acts as a prequel to the campaign).
  • Spartan Ops in Halo 4.
  • Borderlands 2.
I'd consider Evolve the best example of a game coming soon that is nothing but co-op unlike Destiny.
Old 04-29-14, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Games over the past two years:
  • Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
  • Extinction mode in Call of Duty: Ghosts.
  • Zombies mode in Call of Duty: Black Ops II.
  • Co-op mode in Far Cry 3 (which acts as a prequel to the campaign).
  • Spartan Ops in Halo 4.
  • Borderlands 2.
I'd consider Evolve the best example of a game coming soon that is nothing but co-op unlike Destiny.
Yea...I thought about COD but I'm sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place on consoles. I still have the 360 and could've got two to get the game but some friends ar on the 360 and some on the XO. I'd rather concentrate on the PS4 but most want COD for the MP part. Same with the Zombies...played it for awhile but some moved on. Really would like another COD like World At War. The four player co-op part on veteran was really good. Halo Spartan Ops was a blast with the weekly missions. We always had at least three of us doing that. And I played both Borderlands to the point of burnout....SP and co-op.

One game I did but again it's up in the air is Diablo III: Reaper of Souls. I've played the hell out of Diablo III on the 360 and co-op is a blast on it. Evolve is still a bit of a mystery but looks interesting. We still have Helldivers coming...sometime.
Old 04-30-14, 09:49 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

Got my Destiny beta code.
Old 04-30-14, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't write Destiny off based on impressions from a couple of games media jerkoffs.

That "profession" is less relevant by the minute, and I think they know it, because more and more you're hearing them complain about the way they are shown games and how limited their access is rather than talking about the games themselves. They're also finding themselves less and less aligned/influential over what consumers actually buy.

Bottom line on Destiny from my POV: The mechanics and aesthetics look phenomenal. The developer has a near spotless pedigree, particularly with multiplayer. And you'll have time with the beta before launch to make a final decision...a little more time on PS4.
Old 04-30-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
One game I did but again it's up in the air is Diablo III: Reaper of Souls. I've played the hell out of Diablo III on the 360 and co-op is a blast on it. Evolve is still a bit of a mystery but looks interesting. We still have Helldivers coming...sometime.
Diablo III on the PC turned me off so much that despite all the glowing reviews, I have zero interest in revisiting it with the Reaper of Souls expansion.

Doesn't Starcraft II have co-op as well? I haven't touched it since weeks after its original release date... and I own Heart of the Swarm too.
Old 05-06-14, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dev diary. Getting a little bit hyped.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ScMP3hYffHU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-06-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Destiny public beta starts in July

During an Activision Blizzard investor call today, the company revealed that the public beta for the much-hyped Bungie shooter Destiny is due out this July. We already knew that the beta was coming sometime this summer (and would on PlayStation platforms first), but this gives us a more specific month to wait for.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/des.../1100-6419465/

And to add....another site mentioned that every year "Bungie Day" is July 7th in which they tend to release something special....

Last edited by K&AJones; 05-06-14 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

Looks pretty badass in the dev diary. I have total faith in Bungie, not jaded journalists looking for page clicks.

Originally Posted by chess
Bottom line on Destiny from my POV: The mechanics and aesthetics look phenomenal. The developer has a near spotless pedigree, particularly with multiplayer. And you'll have time with the beta before launch to make a final decision...a little more time on PS4.
Old 05-06-14, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get why chess is sending out the "codes" in secret (I can make great assumptions on why), but here you all go:

http://desti-nation.org/article.php?id=144
Old 05-06-14, 07:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Diablo III on the PC turned me off so much that despite all the glowing reviews, I have zero interest in revisiting it with the Reaper of Souls expansion.
You should revisit the main game. It's completely different now.
Old 05-06-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
You should revisit the main game. It's completely different now.
I've been hearing the UI is more in tune with the console versions, correct?

If that's the case, I'll wait for the next-gen edition.
Old 05-06-14, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems weird to me that because a few journalists weren't floored by the demo of Destiny they're all of a sudden jaded, irrelevant, or just looking for page clicks. Maybe that's the new complaint for the year after a couple years of everyone mad about publisher payoffs and bribes.

I don't know why it's hard to just believe that the presentation they were shown wasn't that impressive, but they were shown only a small part of an otherwise great looking game.
Old 05-06-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

I don't get why chess is sending out the "codes" in secret (I can make great assumptions on why), but here you all go:

Not sure what you are referring to...

This?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/12085791-post64.html
Old 05-06-14, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Seems weird to me that because a few journalists weren't floored by the demo of Destiny they're all of a sudden jaded, irrelevant, or just looking for page clicks. Maybe that's the new complaint for the year after a couple years of everyone mad about publisher payoffs and bribes.

I don't know why it's hard to just believe that the presentation they were shown wasn't that impressive, but they were shown only a small part of an otherwise great looking game.
Right on, most of the time at this point before a release we're listening to early previews saying how great a game is. Getting us all hyped up and preordering. "This game is going to be great, etc"! Brink, Rage, others come to mind. Can't believe I blew money on some of those shit storms.
If some of the early non paid off reviewers weren't excited it does give me a pause cause usually every early review of big budget games says its "going to redefine gaming". Then you play it for a few weeks and trade it in for something different.
Old 05-06-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

Sorry, nobody thought Brink was going to be great.

As for trolling for page clicks, it was an off the cuff remark. Although it does seem like a slow downward trend.
Old 05-06-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Sorry, nobody thought Brink was going to be great.
Sorry, paid "experts" did....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/08/26/brink-preview-2

I think first paragraph stands for itself.

Last edited by Barth; 05-06-14 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"BrinK'...a real shame because everything from that game leading up to the release sounded and looked good. the concept was good. I totally forgot about this game and frankly was part of highlighting and pushing the game based on what we were seeing. Several of us bought the game at the same time and all almost gave up at the same time which was about a month later. The AI was brutal...we thought it was stuck on "Veteran" setting. To this day the trailers still look good...from 2010

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/H8HYs90WXms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-07-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brink sucked. I rented it from the library and still felt ripped off.
Old 05-07-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sending out codes in secret?

Maybe RTFT next time before attacking?
Old 05-07-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Music
Not sure what you are referring to...

This?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/12085791-post64.html
Thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.