Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bungie - Destiny

Old 04-25-14, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bungie - Destiny

Originally Posted by cnicholls44
I have not received my beta code yet
nevermind. I had received my code a long time ago. I forgot that I had already redeemed it.
Old 04-25-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cnicholls44
nevermind. I had received my code a long time ago. I forgot that I had already redeemed it.
Nice...

Spoiler:
...driving, dickhead!
Old 04-25-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Question, I finally got my code so I figured I would give it a shot. I already have an account with Bungie linked to my 360 account from playing Halo. But I'm buying Destiny for PS4, so I need to link it to my PSN account. I can't find an option to link both though. Am I missing something or do I really need to make two separate accounts?
Old 04-25-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Order from Amazon, get code and cancel.
Done, done and done.
Old 04-25-14, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Question, I finally got my code so I figured I would give it a shot. I already have an account with Bungie linked to my 360 account from playing Halo. But I'm buying Destiny for PS4, so I need to link it to my PSN account. I can't find an option to link both though. Am I missing something or do I really need to make two separate accounts?
After you sign in and redeem your code, you get this message:

Code Redeemed Successfully!

View Beta status in Account Profile.

Platform selection and Beta download code generation will be available at a later day. You have successfully reserved your spot in the Destiny Beta. We will contact you in 2014 with next steps.
So it seems like you can sign in with your 360 profile and still play the PS4 Beta. As far as linking your account, their website sure isn't ready for Primetime. Hope they fix that shit before Destiny launches. Right now it's a mess of blank pages and loading screens.

edit : You can link your accounts here
Old 04-25-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got it. Thanks Decker.

And thanks for the codes Chess. Got all 17 entered.

Last edited by mattysemo247; 04-25-14 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-25-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Done, done and done.

You may also want to input the codes I listed on the last page. Not sure what they'll give you yet, but it would suck to miss out if it's something cool.
Old 04-25-14, 03:49 PM

Alright. Took a while, but I entered all 17 codes. Better be something good.

Thanks chess.
Old 04-25-14, 03:51 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

Just to be clear...
Some of you guys were able to pre-order, get the beta code, then cancel the pre-order? I'm thinking of doing this as, if I'm buying the game, I'll be buying it digitally on release day.
Old 04-25-14, 04:19 PM

Thought it already was pretty clear, but yeah that's what I did (at Amazon) and it worked fine.
Old 04-25-14, 04:27 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I'm just slow.

Thanks Decker.
Old 04-25-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Slow... Canadian... Same diff.
Old 04-27-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Got all the codes entered along with my beta today. Thanks a bunch Chess, I owe you one...again.
Old 04-28-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Fresh new gamplay trailer....The Devil's Lair

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LeDaevD7cEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also this is good read...

Destiny...Hands-On With The Three Classes

...a good description with pictures of the different classes and variations of each.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/de...e-classes.aspx

Last edited by K&AJones; 04-28-14 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kotaku is the first one up with their impression of the game after their play through:

http://kotaku.com/i-played-45-minute...ori-1568127899

I'm still buying the game on day one as I've always loved Bungie's work, but that is disappointing. Open world games like Borderlands and Grand Theft Auto work due to their characters, story, and soul and less the actual mechanics. I personally detested Far Cry 3 because I couldn't get into the story therefore making the game extremely boring and repetitive in my eyes.

While I love the gameplay of Halo, Halo: Reach was the only entry that I thought carried any emotional resonance during its campaign.
Old 04-28-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Borderlands has a story? Huh, never noticed.
Old 04-28-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read the first paragraph of that Kotaku article, and it was kind of boring.

I mean, I expected it to be the end-all-be-all of articles, but the first paragraph looked like some other articles I've read.
Old 04-28-14, 09:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I mean why bother writing an article based on a hands-on experience of one of the most-hyped next-gen games that very few people have ever played? It's not like Activision invited them to play a tiny chunk of a massive game in the hopes that they might write something vaguely positive about it.

Pfft. Dude's just a blogger anyway, not a real journalist.
Old 04-28-14, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Yeah, I mean why bother writing an article based on a hands-on experience of one of the most-hyped next-gen games that very few people have ever played? It's not like Activision invited them to play a tiny chunk of a massive game in the hopes that they might write something vaguely positive about it.

Pfft. Dude's just a blogger anyway, not a real journalist.

I don't really understand the sarcastic response to Kotaku's article either. Although dude is a chick, as far as the writer of the article goes

Last edited by fumanstan; 04-28-14 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 09:27 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Polysoftgon kind of had the same overall impression. Not sure if they said "boring" but they sure didn't sound excited by the end of the article. Doesn't help that they weren't allowed to flight the boss "because spoilers" which is some bullshit.
Old 04-28-14, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I was just reading that article too. Here's the Polygon article.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/28/565...bungie-vs-halo

Bungie also commented on a PC version of the game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ion-of-destiny

"The console SKUs are really important for us and that's what we're focusing on," Bakken continued. "We're doing it all internally ourselves. That's a huge endeavour. That's not something we've ever done before.

"So when I'm playtesting and I'm trying to play PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PS3, that's a lot of work. Adding another thing on there is just crazy. It's crazy to think of right now."

Bungie COO Pete Parsons echoed Bakken's response when we quizzed him on the same subject.

"I think four platforms on day one is a lot, considering we've been a one platform team for a very long time," he said.

"What is also true is that, as you might imagine, we're all hardcore PC players. We play everything. It doesn't matter if it's a phone, PC or console, we play it. And there are 500 people up there. So we care a lot about the PC.

"But this is a huge and ambitious project for us, and just getting it on one console would be a momentous challenge. Getting it on four on the same day is something we've never even tried before. We wanted to get it right, and we didn't want to add in tonnes more risk."

Parsons also said creating and releasing a PC version of Bungie's shared world shooter would not be as easy as many believe, because all versions of the game connect to the same persistent video game world, which itself extends to multiple platforms.
Old 04-28-14, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
I read the first paragraph of that Kotaku article, and it was kind of boring.

I mean, I expected it to be the end-all-be-all of articles, but the first paragraph looked like some other articles I've read.
If Bungie and/or Activision isn't ready to divulge much of anything about what makes Destiny unique or compelling, they shouldn't have bothered with a press event at this stage of the game. It seems like an honest, fair assessment of what some of these journalists/bloggers/whatever-you-want-to-call-them experienced.

Like Polygon said:

Just so you know, Bungie gave away very little. There was nothing about the game’s story, its characters, its world, very little about its PvP modes. Much of the interview quotes are blandishments covering stuff we either already know, or diversions on issues that have been deemed off-limits.
It sounds like the concept of this press event was just really poorly conceived. It's still months out, so I know Bungie wants to keep a lot of their cards clutched closely to their chests for a while, but there's a difference between a tantalizing tease and basically showing nothing.
Old 04-28-14, 09:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Although dude is a chick, as far as the writer of the article goes
Old 04-28-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Kotaku is the first one up with their impression of the game after their play through:

http://kotaku.com/i-played-45-minute...ori-1568127899
Good lord, nearly 10 paragraphs before she gets to any gameplay. This isn't a Pulitzer piece it's Kotaku. Learn the art of brevity Patricia.
Old 04-29-14, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
If Bungie and/or Activision isn't ready to divulge much of anything about what makes Destiny unique or compelling, they shouldn't have bothered with a press event at this stage of the game. It seems like an honest, fair assessment of what some of these journalists/bloggers/whatever-you-want-to-call-them experienced.

It sounds like the concept of this press event was just really poorly conceived. It's still months out, so I know Bungie wants to keep a lot of their cards clutched closely to their chests for a while, but there's a difference between a tantalizing tease and basically showing nothing.
The better question is: why did Bungie even have to show anything off to the press this early? I don't feel like this was Activision's call as they're only acting as distributor and their next Call of Duty entry is revealed on Thursday. Everything is screaming premature with multiple sites being less than impressed.

While other Q3/Q4 games are already getting shown to press (e.g. Alien: Isolation and Evolve), I don't think Bungie has anything to worry about. They're coming off four extremely successful Halo entries.

If they really wanted to go show the game off, they should've done it at E3 or weeks later (a la Call of Duty and their multiplayer reveals).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.