Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Dark Souls II (3/11/2014 -- PS3, 360, PC)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dark Souls II (3/11/2014 -- PS3, 360, PC)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dark Souls II (3/11/2014 -- PS3, 360, PC)

Yeah, summon someone. I think it's almost intended that way, because fighting the gargoyles is pretty tough otherwise.

I was sunbroing there a few nights ago. Had to kill the constant stream of invaders though.

Honestly I'll probably be the invader soon enough, I need some titanite chunks...
Old 05-07-14, 12:49 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hate summoning honestly. Not because it isn't fun....it is fun. however I feel like such a failure when i don't beat a boss solo. I have summoned help more in DS2, my next playthrough will be solo.
Old 05-07-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did every boss solo or with an NPC phantom 1st time through, except the easier boss in Huntsman's Copse (was tired of the area...and running low on effigies to get health back) and the Gargoyles (simply because of the constant invasions).

Figured the Belfry was different, I practically needed a phantom just to make sure I could get through to the fog gate - I can win a 1v1 invasion a decent amount of the time (enough DaS1 pvp) but the frequent 2v1? Nope.
Old 05-07-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here was my strategy for the Belfry:

1. Run up to the ladder while easily avoiding all enemies, climb it, ring the bell that opens the fog gate door. Even if invaded, you can get it done before they realize what you're doing and find you.
2. Run up to the fog door while easily avoiding all enemies, go through it. Invader is sent back home when you enter the fog door. Can be a problem if the timing is wrong since invaders usually spawn right in front of the fog door, but it never took me more than 2-3 attempts.
Old 05-08-14, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
i hate summoning honestly. Not because it isn't fun....it is fun. however I feel like such a failure when i don't beat a boss solo. I have summoned help more in DS2, my next playthrough will be solo.
Good luck on fighting Lost Sinner in NG+,
Spoiler:
cause you also have to deal with two red pyro invaders. No way I could do it, had to get help.
Old 05-08-14, 07:40 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by dom56
Good luck on fighting Lost Sinner in NG+,
Spoiler:
cause you also have to deal with two red pyro invaders. No way I could do it, had to get help.

No, I meant my next playthrough with a new character I

I got to the Earthen Peak last night. Poison is my favorite thing in this series....ha. I am still trying to find the lightning spear chest. it will be nice to have 20 instead of 10. Not really sure where to go next, after the boss here there was an elevator to the Iron Keep, but dude I got slayed quick by the 2 guys at the beginning. I my try to clear the Gulch area down the hole in Majula. I think there is a Great Lightning spear down there.
Old 05-08-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Great Lighting Spear is
Spoiler:
not in the Gulch but the key to get it is there. You need to drop down an area ,can be hard to see you might need a torch or Cast Light magic to find it. There a cave with two huge giants, run into one of the two small cave and pick them off with you Lighting Spear spell one of them will drop a key. Go back to Majula and go to the big hole just hope you paid Gilligan to build a ladder there if not get the Silvercat ring to drop down the hole make sure you have no armor wearing to keep getting damaged when dropping down. You should find a big door, open it with the key you got from the giants. Great Lighting Spear should be in one of the chests.
Old 05-09-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Any tips for a solo defeat of "Smelter Demon" ?
Old 05-10-14, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're playing melee and blocking, try and find a shield with the highest Fire resistance you can use, that will help a lot for the second half of the fight when his attacks do additional fire damage.

Unfortunately, the only shield I know off the top of my head that gives 100% Fire resistance (that you can feasably get by that point) is the Gyrm Shield, which requires like 30 or 32 Strength to use. You can get it in the Doors of Pharos area. Technically, if you have 15-16 strength you could still use it two handed to block, and even smack him with it to attack. Not the most effective tactic, but greatshields actually do decent damage in this game as opposed to the prior Souls games.

Every bit of Fire Res. you can get will help, since being near him in that phase will do minor draining fire damage. The Alonne armor you can get from the enemies in that area has pretty good fire resist. Popping an Orange Burr when he powers up at half health can help too, but I can't remember if there's an infinite source of that item at that point in the game; I usually only have one or two on hand by Iron Keep.

Using spells isn't too bad since you can try and keep your distance and not have to worry as much about taking the proximity damage and hopefully rely on dodging more than blocking his attacks.

You can poison him, which won't exactly win the fight for you but it can speed things up a bit. Hit him with a few poison daggers or arrows as soon as you enter the room, and then avoid his initial attack. One or two more hits at that point should get the poison to stick. Take the opportunity to re-apply it when he stops and charges up his "core."

It's a tough fight no matter how you approach it; it ranks with Ornstein and Smough from the first Dark Souls in that I can usually breeze through it with a caster character but still haven't really "mastered" it with melee builds.
Old 05-12-14, 09:57 AM
wlj

Well, i am around the 30 hour mark. I am maybe halfway....it is always hard to judge that in a Souls game. I got through the gutter/black gulch area which was a freaking aggravating chore. I guess that is the blighttown of DS2. Sucked big time. I was happy to finally get the Great Lightning Spear. Not quite sure where to head, I think the Iron Keep is where i need to go now.

I still feel the game isn't as good as DS1, but I am liking it a little bit better than I did to begin with.
Old 05-12-14, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Poink

You can poison him, which won't exactly win the fight for you but it can speed things up a bit. Hit him with a few poison daggers or arrows as soon as you enter the room, and then avoid his initial attack. One or two more hits at that point should get the poison to stick. Take the opportunity to re-apply it when he stops and charges up his "core."

It's a tough fight no matter how you approach it; it ranks with Ornstein and Smough from the first Dark Souls in that I can usually breeze through it with a caster character but still haven't really "mastered" it with melee builds.
I dunno, I still don't have much trouble with him, I just beat him last night with my Quality build / tiny amount of FAI character. His attacks are mostly pretty telegraphed and easy to roll around. The only thing to watch out for is the AOE explosion and not to get greedy - take a couple of hits, roll, and be patient. It helps to equip a slightly faster weapon - my Quality Build character right now is rocking a +9 Claymore and a +10 Sun Sword - the Sun Sword is better for this fight because it swings faster.
Old 05-14-14, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have anyone ever been summon by Looking Glass Knight yet? I read somewhere if you put your red soapstone near the door when you first fight and defeated him, you have a better chance of being summoned to fight for him.
Old 05-16-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Are any of the Boss Soul Weapons worth using?

Right now, I've got a Str/Dex build (mostly Str) and I'm running with a claymore and bastard sword. Both +5ish. Think I'm around SL 70 maybe.

Should I keep upgrading those, or is there a boss soul weapon worth checking out? I'm not looking to use any of the ultra great swords, though.
Old 05-16-14, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of my students who seems to know way more about this than I do says the Pursuer's Greatsword is a solid choice for a strength build.

I'm running a Str build myself and rocking the Bastard +7 sword and Drangleic +1 sword. May switch to a lighter second weapon or just keep building stamina til it's bigger than my health. That's the fun I'm having with the game so far, it doesn't matter. I could go in either direction and the game is still completely playable.
Old 05-17-14, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lopper
Are any of the Boss Soul Weapons worth using?

Right now, I've got a Str/Dex build (mostly Str) and I'm running with a claymore and bastard sword. Both +5ish. Think I'm around SL 70 maybe.

Should I keep upgrading those, or is there a boss soul weapon worth checking out? I'm not looking to use any of the ultra great swords, though.
I'm running a quality build myself (32str/30dex/18FAI/20 End/20vit/20end/3int/12ATT/?ADP) at SL120 or so off the top of my head. Using the Claymore and the Sun Sword because of thr moveset. I like 1-hand R2 stabs....not many weapons like that in DS2. Miss my Balder Side Sword. Sun sword has two pokes kind of like the BSS. Does less damage than the Claymore but swings faster.

Sun Sword needs Sunbroing (20 Sunlight Medals). Scales A/A str/dex at +10. It's a good alternate fast weapon for those times you want to swing once or twice and roll away.
Old 06-14-14, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dark Souls 2 will be getting three DLC very soon.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/...he-lost-crowns

Crown of the Sunken King come out July 22. Crown of the Old Iron King Aug. 26th. Crown of the Ivory King Sept. 24th. Prices will be $9.99 each or $24.99 for season pass. Can't wait.
Old 07-23-14, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Play the new DLC tonight and the city is like a maze. You can get lost if you don't know where to go, there are switches you need to hit to raise or lower some platforms. Enemies are pretty tough there are hollow soldiers like the first DS only they are on steroid. Ghost warriors are a pain to fight
Spoiler:
need a infused weapon or magic to damaged them or you can just destroyed their armours on wall or tombstones they become physical. Beware they are tougher in physical form
So far, I'm really digging the new DLC.
Old 07-23-14, 07:23 AM
wlj

i completely abandoned this game halfway through, which is quite shocking since i am such a worshipper of the first game. DS2 just pissed me off waaaaay too much and there were no areas or bosses that amazed me. They were all "meh" that I ran into. Dark Souls 1 had me hooked in the first 5 minutes. I never became hooked in DS2. my experience was "Well, I am not really liking this game or having fun. however, I am such a huge fan of DS1 I have to finish it"

I may go back eventually, but it will be a while from now. I know alot of folks like DS2 better than DS1...I don't see how that is possible, but I respect those opinions. DS2 was such a big disappointment to me.
Old 07-23-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
Play the new DLC tonight and the city is like a maze. You can get lost if you don't know where to go, there are switches you need to hit to raise or lower some platforms. Enemies are pretty tough there are hollow soldiers like the first DS only they are on steroid. Ghost warriors are a pain to fight
Spoiler:
need a infused weapon or magic to damaged them or you can just destroyed their armours on wall or tombstones they become physical. Beware they are tougher in physical form
So far, I'm really digging the new DLC.
How does the DLC work if you're on New Game +? Will the enemies automatically be tougher If you're on NG+?
Old 07-25-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
How does the DLC work if you're on New Game +? Will the enemies automatically be tougher If you're on NG+?
Yup, NG+ is NG+.

It's pretty damn tough even on NG. I tried to get through it with my glass-cannon hexer and got pummeled. Been working my way through it with my STR/FAI build better (40STR/20DEX/32FAI).
Old 07-25-14, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I made the mistake of starting NG+ 2 days before the DLC came out so now I'm having to work my way back through the game just to get to the point where I can actually play it.

DAMN YOU SENTINELS!!!!
Old 07-29-14, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finish it last night.

Spoiler:
Elana was pretty much like Nashandra only she can summon several skeletons or Velstadt to assist her in attacks. She summon Velstadt on me but me and another summon player was able to kill him, tough fight but finally beat her. Sinh the dragon was pretty fun fight you have to watch out for fire breath and poison attack but he wasn't really hard to beat. I thought the Gank squard a optional boss was the toughest to fight was lucky to had a good summon player to help me win this fight. Hated Havel again and that annoying archer.
Overall, good DLC and can't wait for the Crown of the Old King DLC next month.