Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Far Cry 3 (December 4)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Far Cry 3 (December 4)

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I don't think games like these really need "boss" fights but rather progressively increasing difficulty and more intricate missions as you move along. The boss fights take me out of the reality feeling that I get while playing the rest of the game.
Just to clarify I think they sucked as part of the story, not the mechanics. In terms of gameplay I would have been fine with a cut scene. In one of the drug induced levels there actually is a traditional "boss fight"sequence, although the mechanics were pretty lame. That may have been intentionally done to show how lame traditional boss fights are.
Old 01-01-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rival11
This game is f'n great. I love how you can literally hide from the enemy and plot out how you want any scenario to go down.

This game has such a mean streak...you really feel like you are in deep shit all of the time. The hunting is much more effective here then in red dead redemption..some animals you
just feel bad for killing and the way...lets say a tiger gets ready before attacking you is just awesome.

I love the trippy sequences you go through at times and the music is just awesome.

I am taking my time with this one storywise - I really dig it. My only complaint so far is that...well, the damn clouds don't move!! lol yeah I know it's minor but still.

Easily GOTY for me so far.
Agreed. Not sure about GOTY, but I'm loving this. The combat is outstanding. It's so satisfying scouting locations before missions and spotting enemies, then taking them down with the abundance of tools at your disposal. The enemy AI is perfect too, not incredibly bright, but fair and very conducive to stealthy play. If I used a silencer on my rifle, they won't be able to find me. Only problem I've had so far is the C4, planting one of those anywhere near an enemy seems to alert them immediately.

I've played about 30 hours and have barely touched the main story. The graphics are so pretty on ultra it is fun to just look around and explore. The devs spent A LOT of time making the world interesting. Each area feels fresh and there are just tons of little details to the world. I love all the caves, temples, little villages, and areas of natural beauty. This game definitely scratches that virtual tourism itch. I hope it gets better 3D Vision support eventually.

I do wish there were more outposts to clear though... I think I've already taken half of them and none were particularly challenging. A few required more than one try. And once they are gone, the island is kind of boring combat wise. I wish there were more and bigger attacks in 'safe' land. Just a jeep with two guys every once and a while doesn't cut it.

And yeah, the music in those trip scenes is great. It's straight out of a Martin Denny album.
Old 01-01-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I finally knocked the Platinum out for this one early this morning. It is my New Year's Plat and I will say that I enjoyed 90% of the game. The co-op was decent but a real chore to get in a match you need unless your match is private and with your friends.
Old 01-01-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finished the story yesterday, and now the only thing I have left is co-op. I was thinking "wow, this could be GOTY" for the first 10-15 hours or so, but then I found out that the rest of the game is just more of the exact same things on repeat. I was pretty bored by the time I finished liberating all the outposts, finding all the lost letters, etc.

The save system never made any sense to me. Sometimes I would die and respawn close by with all my progress saved, and sometimes I'd respawn in a random far-away location without the most recent collectibles I had gathered. Story missions also needed much more frequent checkpoints (and much less "Defend this person/thing"). Also, I had read that the co-op missions were glitchy as hell, but I experienced it first-hand when I played one yesterday.

Overall, I'd probably give this about a 7/10. It's not a bad game, but it definitely didn't live up to the hype I'd been hearing.
Old 01-01-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Also, not sure if anyone else noticed this. I started looking closely at the menus at a few of the eateries around the island. I wonder if this game wasn't coded by 14 year olds...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=117270107

I think "Tater Dongs" is my favorite.
Old 01-01-13, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-03-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Ok so I ran into something that is complete bullshit..if you go and hunt a ton of animals and then craft what you need....if you die after that you lose EVERYTHING - come on, I mean maybe it's already been posted in this thread but that really pissed me off - so now I just save every two seconds.

I think I'm almost done as well and I must say that while I am loving the story so far
Spoiler:
They way you kill Varass (or however you spell it) is bullshit...I really wanted to beat that motherfucker down

Someone in here recently said it was repetitive - I don't think so...I had a lot of fun exploring the ruins and thought it really added a lot to the gameplay even it was a tad too weird for me.

The ememy dialouge definitely needed more added to it....I think they all banged the same hooker.
Old 01-04-13, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, save often. Oh and if you are in a mission where you can die, and you can't save, don't get any relic or anything important, wait until the mission is done, so you are sure you are getting it.
Old 01-04-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The game would have benefited immensely from a Skyrim/Fallout-style save system. I finished all the achievements and now I'm trading it off. No real desire to ever play it again.
Old 01-04-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Ok so I ran into something that is complete bullshit..if you go and hunt a ton of animals and then craft what you need....if you die after that you lose EVERYTHING - come on, I mean maybe it's already been posted in this thread but that really pissed me off - so now I just save every two seconds.

I think I'm almost done as well and I must say that while I am loving the story so far
Spoiler:
They way you kill Varass (or however you spell it) is bullshit...I really wanted to beat that motherfucker down

Someone in here recently said it was repetitive - I don't think so...I had a lot of fun exploring the ruins and thought it really added a lot to the gameplay even it was a tad too weird for me.

The ememy dialouge definitely needed more added to it....I think they all banged the same hooker.
As for your spoiler, I agree. Also there's more like that, too. Sadly.
Old 01-04-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That sucks but thanks for the heads up anyway.

Just out of curiosity did everyone who played it here not miss out on
Spoiler:
The interactions you can do in the cave where your friends are hiding out? You simply walk up to them and press a button to get some cool interactions and even 1 skill point.

Also, there is a little bowl that flashes in one section of the cave - when you press action on it it will take you to flashbacks before you and your friends were kidnapped - there's more than one as well (just hit action again until the bowl stops flashing).

Just don't want anyone missing out on some cool extras.
Old 01-06-13, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rival11,

I missed that (the info in your spoiler)

I finished this on Friday, chose the "good" ending and watched the other ending in Youtube. I had a good laugh.

I can't wait for FC4!
Old 01-07-13, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I beat the game this past saturday and while the ending was slightly annoying
Spoiler:
I HATE games with multiple endings and hate it even more when you're forced to choose which ending you want
it was still a solid fucking awesome game.

I will definitely be going back for more crazyness. Going to complete the outposts and get the remaining towers.

It's funny, I noticed that the clouds don't move at all but never once noticed that it NEVER rains.

I seriously have never experienced a game like this before...there was a real feel to it (even with all the far-fetched batshit crazy stuff you do) and I couldn't put it down.

Definitely going to keep this one....I wish this is what Alan Wake was...could you imagine being able to free roam in Alan Wake? It would have been fantastic (sorry for the side note).
Old 01-07-13, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just started playing this game and haven't gone through the whole thread. But, I had no idea this was basically Assassins Creed Brotherhood with guns and a jungle theme. I like it so far but it just feels like I've played it before. I never played FC2 but this is nothing like FC1. Where is the fun in harvesting flowers and animal skins? Can I beat the game without doing that shit?
Old 01-07-13, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Flowers are used to make syringes, which basically serve as your medicine and power-ups. Medicine can be bought, and power-ups are almost completely unnecessary in most cases, so you can get by without doing much of that.

Animal skins, on the other hand, are used to make pouches that increase your inventory limit (for everything from loot to ammo and health syringes). You'll find that very useful.

So yes, you can beat the game without doing that shit, but you'll be at a constant disadvantage. I had almost all of my pouches fully upgraded before I had progressed any more than necessary in the story, because I absolutely hate inventory limitations.
Old 01-15-13, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I just started playing the game late last week. I'm now probably about 10 hours in. I gotta say I'm loving it and am hooked. I've only played through about 3 of the real story missions. I'm having way to much fun hunting and doing side missions. Swimming in the water almost has a JAWS feel to it.

Anyway, I see why IGN gave this a good score, I hope the fun holds up but I'm having fun with it. Not sure if any DLC has been announced?
Old 01-15-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No announced DLC yet.
Old 01-16-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm about to start the mission "Payback". According to IGN there are about 15 more "story" missions to go. Which is shocking because considering story developments I thought I'd be at the end. Honestly, while I really enjoy the game I kinda want it to be over with. Can anyone tell me if these last 15 will go quickly? Thanks!
Old 01-16-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, they can go really quick. There's also a "point of no return" 3 or 4 missions before the end, where you have to play until you finish the main story and can't roam anymore. Of course after the end you can continue hunting and that kind of stuff.

If you are playing in normal it shouldn't take you more than 4 hours to finish. It can even be finished in 2 hours or less if you are that good.
Old 01-16-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
Yes, they can go really quick. There's also a "point of no return" 3 or 4 missions before the end, where you have to play until you finish the main story and can't roam anymore. Of course after the end you can continue hunting and that kind of stuff.

If you are playing in normal it shouldn't take you more than 4 hours to finish. It can even be finished in 2 hours or less if you are that good.
Thanks. I'm liking the game and everything. I think I just burned myself about by literally doing EVERYTHING up until this point. Now I just want to be done. Thanks again!
Old 01-16-13, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a pretty long game...much loonger than I expected and while it gets a tad stale.....I was still a little let down by some parts.

But I just can't get enough of the fact that you can hide...I mean, just being able to duck down and hide in the brush, even if you triggered an attack, is just so fucking cool.

Also, someone mentioned that there weren't enough outposts ....you're crazy and probably only said that because you weren't far enough into the game - there are 34 total and the ones involving the army in the game can be very tough.

I'm still not sick of this game at all either.
Old 01-17-13, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have been playing this game non-stop since i picked it up last week. I loved the first two games, and this is the best one yet. Really awesome. I am glad they got rid of the malaria gimmick they had in the second game, and whilst the guns breaking could get a tad annoying it did actually add something to the game. But i am happy with what they have done. I completed the game itself pretty fast, already captured all the outposts, only one more assassinations to do and two more hunts. Then onto collecting all the other loot and relics. Shame that enemies cannot regenerate to some extent as at this stage i am finding little to actually fight against. Bring on Far Cry 4
Old 01-17-13, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wrapped this one up last night. Its definitely in my top five for 2012. This was my first Far Cry so I was pretty enveloped in the world. I definitley did burn myself out on it though. I really didn't do anything in the bottom half of the map (once the story opened that it) and I'm gonna shelve the game for now. I may return to open that bottom half up at some point though.
Old 01-22-13, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Amazon had this as a Gold Box special today so I picked it up. Haven't played a video game since Uncharted 3 came out, but this looks good!
Old 01-27-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Hey

Me and friend who we do alot of co-op games may look into this as a fill in for Feb. till GOW comes out. But I noticed the co-op missions are only six. Are these like one big long missions with several in them, short missions or what? And any word on new ones coming? The game in co-op looks fun or at least the trailers do but with just six missions I don't know.

We're DL the Deadspace 3 demo, they do have the last GR game with co-op (I don't) and of course Aliens is coming out to. Just wanted to know about the Fr Cry co-op play.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.